Memory

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Choi Sooyoung, keep still!” Yoona exclaimed as she massaged her temples from her spot on her best friend’s bed. “Pacing back and forth won’t really solve anything aside from making me dizzy.”

“What if I’m overdressed? Or what if I’m underdressed? What if he won’t like what I’m wearing? What if things get awkward?” Sooyoung rambled on and on, not bothering to listen about calming down. “What if I– OW! Im Yoona, what the hell is that for?”

She made a face, bending over to get the pillow from the floor. “Calm down. Please.”

The older woman huffed, quite stalking over to a chair by the window and plopping herself down. “There. I’m calm.”

“Whatever keeps you happy, Soo.” Yoona rolled her eyes. “Now that you’re at least seated and you’ve learned your lesson about how the words ‘what if’ can be so dangerous, just take a deep breath. Everything’s going to be okay. You don’t have to worry so much.”

She rolled her eyes right back but took a deep breath nonetheless. “I’m just really nervous. I mean, this is our first date and I don’t want to screw up or do something that can freak him out and–”

“The guy’s in love with you, Choi. I don’t think he’ll leave you even if you end up eating most of the food.” The brown haired woman interrupted evenly, sticking her tongue out when her best friend glared. “You really need to calm down. And stop worrying about your outfit too. He’s going to love it.”

“Are you sure?” Sooyoung asked hesitantly, looking down at the casual red dress she was wearing.

“I promise.” She beamed reassuringly. “You’ll be okay.”

The taller of the two women sighed yet didn’t bother to protest. “I wonder where he’s taking me for dinner.”

“A buffet?” Yoona suggested with a smirk.

“I have this feeling it won’t be it.”

She arched an eyebrow at that. “How come? I mean, if he’s trying to impress you, he should take advantage of the fact that you have a bottomless pit for a stomach.”

“Says the girl who has a bottomless pit for a stomach as well.” A beat passed. “It’s just… I really don’t think he’ll take me to a buffet.”

“A candlelight dinner then?”

“I doubt it too.”

“Where is he taking you then?” Yoona arched an eyebrow. “McDonald’s?”

Sooyoung opened to reply when a honking of a car from outside her house cut her off, causing her eyes to go wide. “He’s here!”

“He is!” She squealed excitedly for her best friend; all the hype dying down when she noticed that the said best friend wasn’t moving. “Isn’t that your cue to put on your sandals, get your purse and go meet your man?”

“Yoong, I’m so nervous!” Her voice was barely above whisper.

“Sooyoung, if you don’t get your off that chair right now and out that door to have dinner with him, I’ll tell Kris that you’re bailing out on him to work on the research paper for Mr. Kim’s class.”

The older woman’s eyes narrowed but the threat was enough to get her on her feet, frantically putting on her sandals and searching the room for her suddenly missing purse. If it wasn’t for the fact that Sooyoung looked genuinely nervous about her first date with Kris, Yoona would’ve laughed at the scene before her right away. But she knew better, especially having been privy to everything that happened before the couple could reach this stage. They deserved to be happy, she concluded… and that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon if her best friend was going to continue running around like a headless chicken.

Yoona let out a sigh as soon as Sooyoung finally located her purse, getting up from the bed soon after. “Are you ready, Soo?”

She checked her reflection one last time at the full length mirror, letting out a breath as she tried to calm down her nerves. “I think so.”

“Great.” The slightly younger woman beamed, starting to feel really excited for her. “Then, let’s go. It’s rude to keep your boyfriend waiting.”

Sooyoung blushed at the term, letting Yoona’s arm encircle her own as they finally left the comforts of her bedroom. With each step they took closer to the front door, Sooyoung could feel her chest pounding harder and faster in her chest. A part of her yelled for her to get a grip, saying that she shouldn’t feel this nervous when she was simply just going out for dinner with her boyfriend. But this was Kris – the same person who used to not give her the time of day, the same person who struggled to open up to her. This was all very different… a good kind of different, but still different.

“Soo, breathe.” Yoona reminded her, waiting until she was given the go signal before she opened the door.

They found Kris leaning against his car, waiting patiently with his arms casually folded over his chest. He had been staring off into space before their appearance and at the sound of the opening door, he turned his head to face them; his jaw quite dropping as he gave his girlfriend a good look. Yoona bit back a smirk at the sight, nudging her best friend forward.

“Hey.” Sooyoung greeted him a tad bit awkwardly. “Did I keep you waiting long?”

“No.” He shook his head, still in a daze. “You look beautiful.”

Her face flushed crimson. “Thanks. You look great too.”

Kris smiled gratefully; the pair falling into silence since neither of them seemed willing to do anything beyond just staring at each other. Yoona rolled her eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter