The Walls He Built

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kris.”

Kris snapped out of his thoughts, turning his head a fraction to see Luhan and Xiumin heading his way and offering a nod in greeting. The two merely nodded in return, arranging themselves on the bench at the side of the gym. It was their usual hangout whenever all three of them were free and when they were there, no other student even dared to come near. If it was because they were too intimidated by Kris or three of them as a whole, neither of them cared.

“So…” Xiumin waited until Luhan gave him a subtle hint of encouragement before he continued. “How’s your research topic going?”

An expression that neither of his best friends could quite name crossed his eyes. “It got approved.”

Luhan’s eyes widened a bit. “What got approved?”

“The research topic.”

He nearly rolled his eyes. “I know that. I meant what topic did you give Professor Heechul?”

A ghost of an amused smirk made its way to his lips. “Ben and Jerry’s.”

“Well, that’s convenient.” At the other two’s twin baffled looks, Xiumin did roll his eyes. “Sooyoung’s known as the food goddess around here, remember? And besides, you love Ben and Jerry’s, Kris.”

“How did she even know?” Luhan asked. “Did you tell her?”

“No.” Kris shot him an are-you-out-of-your-mind look. “She… She sort of, uh, figured it out.”

The three fell silent for a moment; Luhan breaking it when he was sure he came up with a conclusion. “She reads you well.”

Kris nodded curtly in agreement. “And I wonder why and how that is.”

Xiumin and Luhan exchanged a look at that. Even if Kris didn’t tell them, they knew that it bothered him. It bothered him how Sooyoung cared for him as if they were really friends, how she went out of her way for him, how she had such a big heart in general. Kris had been so used up to this point to distancing himself, only letting a select few get past his overall façade. But Sooyoung seemed to do it with such an ease that he was unaccustomed to. They didn’t even know much about each other… yet. Xiumin and Luhan were convinced that they were going to fix that.

Ever since he had lost his family, he had built these walls around him and he closed himself off to everyone else. Luhan and Xiumin considered themselves lucky to be the considered closest to him – the only ones closest to him. But if there was something they both hoped he’d realize sooner than later, it was that he needed to learn to let others in. Not that there was anything wrong with being careful, especially given Kris’s history. But he’d alienated himself for far too long. They knew Sooyoung cared about Kris; how much was too early to tell. But they hoped it was enough to bring back the Kris they used to know.

“She’s good for you.” Xiumin said casually but they all knew the underlying meaning in his words.

“I don’t know.” Kris let out a sigh. “I really don’t know.”

“Give her a chance.” Luhan suggested softly; an encouraging smile sent to his best friend. “Give yourself a chance.”

“She is really beautiful, you know.” Xiumin added, sighing rather dramatically. “Any guy would be lucky to have her.”

When Kris regarded him like he had grown an extra head or two, he promptly shut his mouth.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

The sun was setting, turning the sky into a canvas filled with reds, oranges and yellows. The wind was chilly yet comfortable, dancing around smoothly and silently. Kris sighed, transferring his backpack from one shoulder to the other as he entered the cemetery. He held a bouquet of white roses in his hands, his mother’s favourite. His mind replayed the conversation he had earlier with Luhan and Xiumin and the events of the day he and Sooyoung decided on their research paper topic.

It was very, very difficult for him living without his whole family and he could only wonder how Sooyoung came out of a similar situation being the kind-hearted, generous, loving girl that he was slowly discovering her to be. She seemed so delicate and he couldn’t help but think that at some point or another, her family’s death had broken her the way his did to him. He had lost his family in a way he never thought could possibly happen to him and he was slowly yet surely finding comfort in knowing that maybe – just maybe – there was someone else willing to share his pain. That there was someone out there who could fully understand even just a fraction of that grief, that memory that would haunt him for as long as lived.

Kris stood rather awkwardly in the middle of the living room of Sooyoung’s two storey home, not quite sure if he was going to sit or stand or do anything at all. A part of him wanted to go to the kitchen and help Sooyoung put away the groceries yet for some reason, he stayed put. It had been a while since anyone besides Xiumin and Luhan had invited him to his or her home and though he silently relished in the feeling of being welcomed, he was still cautious. He didn’t want to abuse it.

Deciding that looking around wouldn’t really hurt, Kris slowly went over to a wooden cabinet on one side of the living room. He found many picture frames of many sizes and styles and he could easily tell that she was a sentimental person. They were all pictures of her, many of which were with Yoona alone, some with Yoona, Lee Jonghyun and Choi Jonghoon. There were even a few of the classes she was part of.

Most of her pictures were of her family.

He could tell that she came from a wealthy family but despite the status, he was certain that they were a family of good people. His eyes fell on the family photo closest to him and based on its date and the date written on her family’s grave, Kris knew that it was one of the most recent – and one of the last – pictures she had with them.

“I think my sister would always be prettier than me.”

Kris straightened up as Sooyoung joined his side. He wanted to tell her that he didn’t think so but he just couldn’t find it in himself. “I didn’t mean to snoop.”

She easily waved off his unspoken apology. “If I didn’t want anyone to see them, I would’ve hidden them by now.”

“What…” A part of him wondered when he even started to care about someone else’s life. “What happened to them?”

“There was a car accident.” Sooyoung replied simply. “A car accident only I survived. The police found out that the engine was messed up and the rest… you know.”

“I’m sorry.”

“What…” He could sense her hesitation. “What happened to your family?”

Kris froze. Could he really trust her with the biggest burden in his life? Not many people know – only his other relatives, Xiumin and Luhan. Should he tell her that painful story? There wasn’t much he knew about her and he didn’t know if they were even considered as friends or what. He didn’t know and understand why she reached out to him when almost everyone was content to let him be on his own. Yet, there was something about her that m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter