Warm

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris came to a halt by the entrance of the school, pointedly ignoring how many of the girls near him gushed at his mere presence and how many – if not all the boys – had identical looks of part-envy and part-admiration on their faces. He didn’t really understand what was going through their minds and he wasn’t about to start losing brain cells now trying to figure them out. Besides, today wasn’t going to be a good day and there was no reason to make himself more miserable than he already was. The weekend had already passed but he still couldn’t forget how he and Sooyoung were in the same cemetery… and she had seen him crying.

Kris hated it.

He hated it so badly.

He was at his most vulnerable that time – as he always was whenever he was with what was left of the people he loved most – life just had to find a way to make sure she saw it. And what disturbed him more was the look of genuine and absolute concern she had on her face when she saw his tears. There was no pity in her eyes – something that he was used to seeing, feeling or hearing from other people, especially those who knew what happened and how it happened. But she stood there, confused and surprised as she was, with that look on her face that told him she wanted to help. It woke this feeling in him, one that felt so foreign that he couldn’t comprehend, and it scared him. It annoyed him.

He hated it too.

Grumbling almost inaudibly under his breath, Kris forced himself to walk towards the classroom, dreading just the mere sight of her and whatever her reaction would be at the sight of him. Why did research have to be his first period for the day? Was she going to pester him about their topic again? Or even worse, was she going to ask him about what happened in the cemetery?  Kris growled under his breath. He hoped he had the right amount of patience today to just stare out the window and ignore her.

Opening the door of the classroom, he could see that Mr. Kim was still busy setting up his things. He hadn’t begun class yet and therefore, Kris wasn’t late. Somewhat relieved about that, Kris made a beeline for his seat but before he could sit down, it seemed like his eyes had a mind of their own and they were soon scanning the room until they fell on her chair.

It was empty.

“Choi Sooyoung and Lee Jonghyun are out on an excused absence today.” Kim Heechul informed the class in general. Kris blinked, scrambling to take a seat before the teacher could zone in his attention on him. Was that guy a psychic or something? “They are the school’s official representative to a Literature conference.”

It was then that Kris noticed the other vacant chair in the room and for the life of him, he couldn’t understand that negative feeling that crept up suddenly from out of nowhere. He couldn’t figure what it was either. Kris expelled a shaky breath; his hand unconsciously on his desk.

That was when he felt it – the small piece of paper underneath his hand.

Kris blinked. It technically was a powder blue post-it stuck right smack in the middle of his table. He stared at it longer, not quite believing it was there at the first place, before he finally plucked it off his desk, reading the short message written on the small square piece. His jaw threatened to hit the floor with every word he read and he was almost convinced that he might be dreaming. But the paper felt very real.

Kris,

I’m really sorry about your family. I understand what you’re going through – my family rests near yours. I think they probably met up in heaven already. I’m sure they’re friends. I’ll tell my mom, dad and sister to take care of your family up there… so don’t be sad anymore. Everything will be better one day.

Sooyoung

P.S.: If you need someone to talk to, I’m just here. Yeah… Yup. I just wanted you to know that. I was really worried when you ran off.

Sooyoung was concerned for him.

Sooyoung was worried about him.

 And Kris really didn’t know how to deal with that.

It was something new that someone else cared for him. Apart from Xiumin and Luhan, no one really showed anything similar to that towards him ever since he lost his family. His relatives didn’t count. Sure, they checked in on him every now and then, made sure he had everything he wanted and needed, but he could tell all that was out of obligation and not concern. Sure, they flew him to Canada from the nightmares of China but they were required to, weren’t they? He was only a little boy that time. An orphan. Of course they had to.

But here came this girl who wasn’t even his friend, who knew nothing abou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter