Belle of The Ball

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I don’t think I can do this.”

Yoona’s jaw dropped. “Sooyoung…”

“Kris probably thinks he means nothing to me now.” Sooyoung let out a groan as she sank on Yoona’s bed, careful not to ruin her gown. “I don’t think I can face him. He probably hates me already.”

“Soo, don’t say that. How can he even try to hate you? That’s just impossible.” She sat down beside her best friend, gesturing at the latter’s appearance. “Besides, you’re all dressed up and ready to go. You can’t back out.”

“No, I’m not backing out. We’ve worked so hard for this ball and I really want to see if everything will go as planned…” Sooyoung let out a sad sigh. “It’s just that I’m not looking forward to the dance anymore.”

Yoona let out a sigh of her own, giving the slightly older woman’s hand a reassuring squeeze. “I’m sure he cooled down by now. Just talk to him and explain.”

She looked unconvinced. “Will he listen?”

“Of course, he will!” At her best friend’s incredulous look, the shorter brunette rolled her eyes. “The guy likes you for heaven’s sakes! Of course, he wants you two to be okay.”

“Now you’re just talking nonsense.”

“Believe what you believe but I honestly think the guy’s falling for you.” She insisted as she finally got up to put on her shoes. “Why would he be so hurt hearing you say those words to Jonghyun if he isn’t?”

Sooyoung felt silent for a long moment before she finally got up and wore her own shoes. “I think I’ll just try to talk to him first and see where it goes.”

“That’s the spirit.” Yoona grinned; the two women checking their appearance one last time before linking arms and leaving the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Can you stop being such a stubborn idiot so we can go inside?” Xiumin made a face, fidgeting with his tuxedo as he, Kris and Luhan stood outside the hotel. “We’re all freezing our asses off here.”

Kris shook his head. “I shouldn’t have come.”

Luhan rolled his eyes in exasperation. “How are you going to talk to her if you don’t attend?”

“I hurt her. I promised I won’t.” He ran a hand down his face, speaking almost to himself. “She probably doesn’t want to see me ever again.”

“Well, you wouldn’t know for sure if we just keep standing here, now will you?” Xiumin grumbled impatiently.

“Can you quit complaining? You’re not helping!” Luhan whacked the shortest of them three not so kindly on the arm. “If you want, you can go in ahead.”

The brown haired man grumbled under his breath about brutal friends but cleared his throat when Luhan shot him a pointed look. “Seriously, though. You were hurt and she ended up getting hurt too. It’s all just a big misunderstanding. I’m sure you both will be okay once you guys talk. One of you just really needs to just man up.”

“Well…” Kris let out a shaky breath. “I guess we should go in.”

Xiumin and Luhan exchanged a look but said nothing else, merely following behind Kris in silence. After finding the right ballroom and signing up on the registration table manned by Mr. Kim, who took the opportunity to commend Kris on his and Sooyoung’s teamwork, the trio stepped inside and almost instantly, they felt like they were transported to a different world just by walking through a pair of double doors. The ballroom looked so grand and elegant that they had a hard time believing that they were just in a hotel instead of some castle.

The ceiling was high and in an elegant shade of cream and taupe with intricate rectangular patterns across its whole area. The walls were of the same colours, adorned with ivory panels and well-designed lighting. Sophisticated glass, gold and crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling a few meters apart from the other. The whole ballroom smelled of fragrant vanilla and the boys couldn’t help but gawk at the breath-taking centerpieces on each table. Supported by a metal stand, the leaves of the flower arrangements were light green and delicate and the huge mound of white flowers seemed to glow under the light. White lace and chiffon adorned every seat and table; the silverware, plates and glasses all arranged accordingly.

“God, it’s so beautiful.” Luhan gasped. “They did so well…”

Kris’s eyes wandered to where the long buffet tables were on either side of the ballroom; a look of pride crossing his normally stoic face. “They did.”

Finding their seats, the three boys let out identical sighs of relief when they found out that they were all seated on the same table; Kris noting that the table that had Yoona, Jonghyun and Jonghun were next to theirs, knowing without having to ask that Yoona probably had it arranged this way. A silent sigh escaped his lips as his attention fell on Sooyoung’s name plate on their table, hoping that she’d be able to sit by his side for the night. The trio moved towards the wall and talked amongst themselves; Luhan and Xiumin’s partners also both absent since they, too, are part of the organizing committee. The two well-meaning friends had just started trying to convince Kris to do something about his problem when the lights dimmed; the spotlight falling onto the stage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter