Breakfast

Cry Baby

Kris woke up early the next morning, starving and anxious. He wanted to go to school more than anything, if only so he could get online on his tablet and email Umma. He needed to make sure she knew he couldn’t get on skype or facebook, so she wouldn’t panic and think he didn’t want to talk to them. Kris wanted to talk to them more than anything.

 

Kathy was already in the kitchen when he came down, Marshmallow seeming to have decided it was his mission to knock Kris over. Kathy glanced up, and she seemed surprised to see Kris. He couldn’t even begin to guess why, but he sat at the table quietly and waited. He was absolutely certain she was going to have some lecture or something for him.

 

“Are you hungry?” She asked instead.

 

“Oh.” Kris said, blinking. English still sounded weird to him, but he nodded. “Yes, I am.”

 

“Alright. I’ll make breakfast. Amber should be down soon. I thought it was her coming down, but I’m glad I didn’t have to drag you out of bed.” Kathy said. Kris nodded, realizing she’d been expecting a struggle from him. “I wanted to talk to you and Amber anyway. So this is good.”

 

“Okay.” Kris said, nodding and standing up. “Do you uh...need help with anything?”

 

“Help?” Kathy echoed, looking more than a little surprised by the offer. “I don’t remember you knowing how to cook.”

 

“I don’t.” Kris said. “But I can wash dishes or make tea. Or something.”

 

“We don’t have any tea. No one here really drinks it.” Kathy said, looking at Kris strangely. “Do you want me to get some? I’m going to the grocery store after I drop you two off at the high school. We have coffee if you’re looking for caffeine.”

 

“Oh. Um. I mean, if it’s alright, I wouldn’t mind it?” Kris said, feeling kind of awkward. Kathy nodded, smiling a little bit.

 

“That’s fine. Just add it to the list on the fridge. And anything else you want.” She said, starting to fry up some eggs. Kris his lips.

 

“I haven’t had this kind of breakfast since I left.” Kris said suddenly. “There’s no designated breakfast foods in Korea.”

 

“So you eat the same things all day?” Kathy asked, looking genuinely interested as Kris started measuring coffee to brew a pot. Kris nodded, shrugging a little bit.

 

“I mean, there’s a good variety, but if you eat it at all, you can eat it for any meal.” Kris said.

 

Kathy nodded, humming a little bit at that. Kris watched the coffee starting to brew for a moment before going to add Lay’s favorite tea to the list. He had to think for a long moment in order to translate it, and by the time he finished writing both the original hangul and English translation Amber had made her way into the kitchen.

 

“Good, you’re both here. Sit down.” Kathy said, and Amber sat down right away. Kris followed a beat later. “So, I think it should go without saying, but I want to make it very clear. The two of you are not to be alone behind any closed doors. I do not want any unexpected, or expected, pregnancies in my house.”

 

Kris nearly choked on his saliva, and Amber put her hands up instantly, looking kind of offended. Kathy was quick to speak again.

 

“I’m not saying I don’t trust you guys. It’s just a rule I feel the need to add.” Kathy said.

 

“He’s not my type.” Amber said right away. Kris looked at her, his eyebrows coming together.

 

“What’s wrong with me?” Kris asked, and Kathy looked ready to speak up again as Amber burst into laughter.

 

“Seriously? My gaydar’s been going off since you walked in the door.” Amber said.

 

“It’s that obvious?” Kris asked, frowning. Amber nodded.

 

“Wait, you’re gay?” Kathy asked, her eyebrows going up.

 

“Yeah...I told you I have a boyfriend last night.” Kris said, distinctly recalling the conversation, but Kathy shook her head.

 

“You were talking a lot last night, but you weren’t necessarily speaking strictly English.” Kathy explained. Kris blinked a few times.

 

“Oh.” Kris said, then sighed. “Well, I do. His name is Tao and he’s great.”

 

Kathy nodded slowly before starting to plate their food. It was quiet for a few minutes as she set the food in front of them and poured a few cups of coffee. She set the sugar out on the table with the milk and let them doctor up their coffees before taking care of her own, then taking a seat across from Amber.

 

“I guess that takes care of that, then. I’m sure Tony will be glad to hear it. He’s been worried.” Kathy explained.

 

“There’s nothing to worry about. I’ve got pictures, if you don’t believe me.” Kris said, pulling his phone out of his pocket and pulling up a picture of himself and Tao. They were sitting on Kris’ bed with animals hats on their heads. Luhan had been the one to snap the photo, and it was one of Kris’ favorites if he was honest.

 

“Oh, he’s pretty cute.” Kathy said, smiling a bit more. “I’m glad you’re happy.”

 

Amber stood up to lean over and look at the phone, then laughed and sat back in her seat.

 

“You totally don’t seem like the type to wear a panda hat. I think they’re on the wrong heads.” Amber said. Kris shrugged a little.

 

“Yeah. Maybe.” He said, smiling and locking his phone before putting it back into his pocket. Kathy chuckled and finished her coffee, standing again.


“Alright, you two. Finish your breakfast and go get ready for school.” Kathy said, starting to wash the dishes.