Just For You

Cry Baby

“Lay.” Kris said, shaking his brother’s arm. “Wake up. Come on, I want to get to school early.”

 

One bleary eye opened, looking at the clock on his bedside table before promptly closing again and rolling over. Kris sighed, shaking him again, and Lay whined loudly, burrowing under his pillow. Kris flopped down on top of him instead, squashing Lay into the bed.

 

“Ge!” Lay whined, and Kris immediately set about tickling him. Lay practically howled, pushing and shoving at Kris as he laughed so hard tears slipped down his cheeks, and Kris finally let up.

 

“Come on, get up.” Kris said, sitting up and tugging on Lay’s arm. The younger of the two huffed, sitting up slowly and staring at Kris with a tired expression. Kris was already dressed, his hair brushed, and he smelled like food.

 

“Did you cook breakfast?” Lay asked, his eyebrows pinching. Kris grinned sheepishly and shrugged.

 

“I tried.” He said. “I can’t guarantee that it’s edible.”

 

“Jeez, what’s with you?” Lay asked, leaning forward and dropping his head on Kris’ shoulder. “It’s like you’re excited to go to school, or something.”

 

“Not for school, exactly.” Kris mumbled, and Lay leaned back slowly, his eyes locking on Kris’ face as he tried to figure out what was going on. Then he smiled.

 

“Tao?” Lay asked, and Kris actually blushed. “Oh. My God.”

 

“Shut up. Come on, get up.” Kris said, standing up. Lay groaned, flopping back onto the bed.

 

“Can’t your romance wait five more minutes?” Lay whined, and Kris poked Lay’s stomach.

 

“No.” He said simply. “Come on, before my attempt at food goes to waste.”

 

 


 

 

Lay made his way into the school looking slightly less tired than usual, because he’d had more time to wake up before calling a cab to take them to school. Kris just looked nervous. Chen came out of no-where and grabbed Lay up in his arms, hugging him tightly and kissing all over his face. Kris was genuinely concerned, trying to figure out what he was so worked up about. He’d seen Lay two days before, but he kept saying something about ‘100 Days’ and Kris was lost.

 

It didn’t really matter, though, because when he glanced up from the spectacle before him, he spotted a head of dark hair with even darker eyes peeking out from under the fringe. Tao definitely needed a haircut. Kris probably did too.

Kris made his way toward the other, glancing around and seeing all of their friends watching them, and he cringed a little. He took Tao’s hand in his own and lead him down the hallway, to a corner he knew no one would spot them in, and he finally looked Tao in the eye. He wasn’t expecting the flood of emotions staring back at him, but Tao wasn’t crying. That was good, right?

 

“Kris..” Tao whispered, and Kris bit his lip, looking around for a minutes. “What...what is it?”

 

“I just..” Kris hesitated, not entirely sure how to word it. “I don’t want anyone to see.”

 

“See...us? Why?” Tao asked, looking kind of hurt. Kris shook his head.

 

“Because it’s not their business.” Kris said. “It’s not their right to see, if I want to kiss you.”

 

“Kiss-” Tao started, but Kris’ lips pressed to his softly, and he fell silent, kissing back. It didn’t last long, and it wasn’t terribly intimate, but it was enough to get the point across.

 

“You said...you love me, right?” Kris asked, his voice shaking just the tiniest bit. He couldn’t help but to be nervous, especially given the way things had gone last time, but Tao was still holding his hand, and his expression was sincere as he confirmed. Kris swallowed. “I don’t...I don’t say things like this a lot. So..don’t take it personally, if I don’t remind you all the time.”

 

“Kris?” Tao whispered.

 

“It’s just...” Kris bit the inside of his cheek for a minute, then offered a self-depreciating laugh. “I’m kind of scared, you know?”

 

“It’s okay.” Tao said, squeezing his hand a little tighter. “You can trust me. I’m not afraid, anymore.”

 

Kris nodded, looking down at their shoes, where the toes were bumping into each other. Kris his lips, breathing slowly and trying to calm himself down. He didn’t necessarily feel a panic attack coming on, but he did feel anxious, and Tao’s thumb was rubbing on the back of his hand.

 

“I love you.” Kris whispered. “Not...like a brother or like a friend. I love you like...like I never want to let you go.”

 

“Kris.” Tao whispered, ducking his head down slightly to make eye contact. Kris looked up, staring into Tao’s eyes, and Tao smiled. “So don’t let go.”

 

Kris gasped a little, pulling Tao into his arms and hugging him tightly. He let out a shaking breath, pressing his face into the other’s shoulder - because Tao was really the only one tall enough for him to do that with standing up anyway - and staying still as he felt Tao’s arms wind back around him.

 

“So...I mean..” Kris mumbled. “Does this mean you’re my...uh...”

 

“Boyfriend?” Tao asked, and there was a slight note of laughter in his voice as he nodded. “Yeah, if you want it to.”

 

“Yeah.” Kris said, sounding kind of like an idiot, and wondering if Tao thought so too. Tao’ kissed his cheek instead, hugging him a little tighter.

 

“Good.” Tao whispered, and the relief in his voice was obvious. Kris felt his own shoulders slump a little bit and he nodded in agreement, the tension easing out, and he couldn’t stop the smile on his face.

 

“Good.” He agreed, and Tao pulled back from the hug, laughing when he saw Kris’ smile.

 

“Everyone’s going to know, if you smile like that.” Tao warned him, and Kris rolled his eyes.

 

“I wasn’t trying to keep it a secret.” He said, playing with Tao’s hand quietly. “I just..like to do some things in private.”

 

“Oh.” Tao said, and Kris glanced up to see that Tao was grinning, too. “Then we should go on a date.”

 

“A date?” Kris echoed, his eyes wide. He’d have to see if he could make some money fast, if Tao wanted to go on dates.

 

“Yeah. We’ll go to the park or watch movies together.” Tao said. “It doesn’t have to be a big thing. Just...time for just us. Without the others on the other side of the door.”

 

Kris stared at Tao, kind of in awe, and he tugged on the other’s hand again, pulling him closer and kissing him again.

 

“Okay.” Kris said, smiling. Tao his lips.

 

“Maybe after school today?” He asked hopefully, and Kris nodded.

 

“Yeah, that should be fine. I’ll just text Umma and let her know.” Kris said, and Tao grinned.

 

“Okay, good. Because Lu and Minseok-ge have been...uh...making up for the last three days and I don’t really want to listen to that.” Tao said, and it took Kris a minute to catch on, but when he did his face turned beat red.

 

“Oh, god!” Kris said, and Tao cringed, nodding.

 

“I’m glad they’re done fighting, but they’re a bit noisy when they’re in love.” Tao said, and Kris barked out a laugh, shaking his head.

 

“Gross.” He said, and Tao nodded in agreement.

 

“Very. I can call you tonight if you want to hear the play by play.” Tao offered, laughing, and Kris shook his head, looking kind of freaked out.

 

“I think I can live without it.” Kris said, making a face. “You could call me just to call me, though.”

 

“Nah, the only point in calling someone is to make them share in my misery.” Tao said, then smiled softly at Kris. “I suppose I could make an exception, though.”

 

“Just for me?” Kris asked, his smile turning oddly affectionate, and Tao looked a little lost in the whole thing as he nodded softly.


“Yeah.” He whispered. “Just for you.”