Adieu

Will You Catch Me If I Fall?

During their pottery lesson last week, Yi Jung and Ga Eul had agreed to visit her parents this week. She had no intentions in acquainting Yi Jung with them. But she was left with no choice, because once again Yi Jung was being nosy about her health. And Ga Eul was afraid that she might reveal her condition to him. She promised herself that she won’t let him know about it.

 

 

 

It was a calm and beautiful Saturday morning when Yi Jung arrived at Chu’s residence. He has already sent Ga Eul a text message that he was waiting outside. He heard rapid footstep approaching the gate and that made him more nervous and feel butterflies on his stomach. He was never this anxious in meeting parents, but this was a lot different, they were Ga Eul’s parent. He brought gifts for them but he wasn’t sure whether they would like it or not. He focused on his breathing to regain more comfort and composure as well.

 

 

Ga Eul smiled genuinely upon seeing him. She greeted him and assisted him inside the house. Ga Eul’s parents were seated at the living room waiting for their guest to arrive. Ga Eul introduced Yi Jung to them and watched seriously as they interacted smoothly. She smiled and was really happy seeing that Yi Jung was a hit to her mother, however her father was another story. Although his father showed a little happiness after receiving Yi Jung’s gift, he couldn’t help himself to start interrogating him. After all this was her daughter’s guy friend. But soon she felt relaxed, after seeing the satisfied face of his father.

 

 

Soon lunch came and all of the Chu’s were busy discussing anything they can talk to. They would laugh heartily once they found the other one being pounded by words and would lose to their childish banter. Yi Jung chuckled lightly and enjoyed the warmth and love that surrounded Ga Eul’s home. He felt so lucky meeting her. She was a good woman, raised by wonderful parents. Although he felt envious at first, the hospitality that they shower him was enough to make him happy.

 

 

The day ended after Ga Eul toured Yi Jung into their neighborhood. They truly enjoyed the day and talked about any random things they can share. Ga Eul had been persistent in changing the discussion when it becomes to her health. Apparently both of them had been aware that this was the final week of the one month contract. So they had tried their best in enjoying every moment of it. But none of them ever dared to touch the topic. Instead they planned together of what they would do on their next date.

 

 

 

“Ga Eul, did you send Yi Jung off?” Her mother asked once she heard her close the door.

 

“De Omma… Is there any problem? ... Why are you sad?” Ga Eul inquired with a creased eyebrow.

 

“Nothing… Are you sure you want this? I mean, he seems like a nice person and I can see the way he looks at you… Ahhm… What I’m trying to say is… I don’t want to see you get hurt.” Her mother sighed after verbalizing out her thoughts.

 

“I know Omma, sunbae did tell me he loves me…” Ga Eul started sniffing and cried after few seconds. Her mother pulled her into her arms. She started speaking once again after each sobs. “But I’m afraid… I love him too… so much… but I think I can’t… I can’t make him happy…” She cried her heart out and all that her mother can do was to hug her and tuck her to bed with a worried face. She was worried for her but she decided to support her decisions after learning about her sickness. She prayed all night that her transplant would be a success which would happen soon.

 

 

 

School days had passed peacefully. Ga Eul had finished all her reports and submitted them all ahead of time. She prepared different tokens to all of her friends as a remembrance. She even gave the librarian a classical book which she truly appreciated. She tendered her resignations to all the clubs and affiliations she had. She specified that she needs to help her omma with the business that she was planning to build. She has done all of these as a way of bidding farewell to her friends.

 

 

 

On the day prior to the end of contract, she invited Jandi to her house to sleep over. They bonded and discussed about their childhood memories. Sometimes they argued but most of the times they would laugh whenever they recalled the stupid things they did.

 

“Ga Eul, I’m gonna miss you… Please take care of yourself. I know you can make it. Ga Eul- ah, FIGHTING!!!” Jandi said and wrapped her arms to her best friend.

 

“Thanks Jandi-ah… But don’t worry, I’ll be strong… And when I return, I’ll be a stronger and braver Ga Eul.” She smiled as she faced Jandi with a determined face.

 

“Oh, what are you talking about? You’re even stronger now… Ahm, Ga Eul, I’m sorry but I’m just curious… What about Yi Jung sunbae? Aren’t you gonna tell him?” Jandi inquired with a hesitant tone.

 

“A-aniyo, he doesn’t have to know… Please Jandi, don’t tell him anything. I… I know I’m being selfish, but he would be more hurt if he knows my condition, and I can’t bear to see that.” Ga Eul stated with misty eyes.

 

“Mianhae Ga Eul-ah, I didn’t mean to upset you… But you have to know that Dr. Lee has inkling that Yi Jung had learned your condition, since the detectives stopped investigating after the incident at the clinic…” Jandi said nervously.

 

“Well, if that’s the case. I wish to tell Yi Jung sunbae about it myself. And please let’s proceed with the original plan.” Ga Eul stated after sniffing.

 

“If that’s what you want, now let’s rest, for tomorrow would be your final date.” They settled themselves on the bed. The darkness and silence has engulfed the room. Ga Eul kept on thinking about the situation before drifting off to dream land.

 

 

 

Yi Jung was early and waited at the Chu’s residence. He had planned their date today and really wanted to spend the whole day with her. His thoughts were soon interrupted by the opening of the gate. The two ladies were surprised to see Yi Jung this early and leaning towards the car. He saluted the two with his usual style. Jandi insisted on walking home before going to school. The truth is she really wanted to give the couple quality time together.

 

 

Yi Jung greeted her and assisted into the passenger’s seat. He noticed the paleness of her skin, but that doesn’t matter to him. She still looks beautiful no matter what. Yi Jung drove to Master Jang’s museum to pay a visit. They helped him in preparing some of the pots for his upcoming exhibit at Yi Jung’s family museum. He invited him as a guest potter.

 

 

Yi Jung had prepared a picnic basket for them. They lay on the park grass enjoying their food and each others company. They watched as the people were merrily chatting and the kids who are playing happily.

 

 

As soon as it was beginning to dark, Yi Jung pulled Ga Eul towards the car. The drive was a deafening silence. No one dared to talk contrary to the laughter and teasing they did at the park. It was Ga Eul, who broke the silence when she noticed the familiar track they were heading to.

 

 

“Ahm, sunbae this is not the road to my house. Why are we going to the school?” Ga Eul inquired while shifting her gaze towards their campus.

 

“Just wait and see, Ga Eul yang.” He smirked and winked at her at the same time.

 

Ga Eul blushed and smiled while Yi Jung took her hands and entwined with his. He led her to the studio with a blindfold. At first Ga Eul was hesitant but then again, she trusted him so she followed her lead.

 

 

They stopped at the tree house and Yi Jung removed her blindfold. She was confused because it was all darkness that she can see. She was about to say something when Yi Jung hugged her from the back and whispered to her ears. “Smile sweetheart… I hope you like this…”

 

 

Then, different colorful lights lighted up the tree house. Ga Eul was astounded by the transformation of it into a Christmas tree. She smiled and hugged Yi Jung tightly. Yi Jung embraced her back. They stayed like that for a moment until Yi Jung broke the silence.

 

“How do you like it sweetheart? Merry Christmas…” Yi Jung stated in a happy tone.

 

“This is great sunbae… I really like it. Thank you very much.” Ga Eul continued gazing at the tree. She looked at the different colorful lights dancing in the darkness along with the red ribbons that outlines the tree. She wished time would freeze at this moment and stay with Yi Jung for a while. She sighed deeply which Yi Jung never failed to notice. He twirled her facing him.

 

“Ga Eul yang… I…” He cleared his throat before speaking again. “I…I know you’re condition and… and I want to help you with every possibility that I can… I know you’ll be sent to the hospital soon and I want to be there for you. I want to support you.” Yi Jung gazed at her seriously.

 

Ga Eul was speechless at first. Dr. Lee’s assumption about Yi Jung’s knowledge about her condition was true. She tensed up and covered her face with her hands. She soon felt weak and fell down on the ground. Tears started flowing freely as she continuously apologized for keeping it from him. Yi Jung pulled her hands away from her face and hugged her comfortingly. Ga Eul was happy since Yi Jung only knew a portion of her true condition. The profile she had at the clinic was her old profile indicating her previous state prior to meeting Dr. Song. Her condition there was not fatal.

 

“Hush Ga Eul yang, its okay… I forgave you already… All I want to do is to help you out. Now tell me, when will you be hospitalized? And how many days? Are they going to do some test?” Yi Jung stated with a serious tone.

 

“Kamsahamnida sunbae… Mianhae for not telling you… I will be fine… But can’t we not talk about it… I mean, I want to enjoy the night, I want to enjoy it with you.” Ga Eul gazed at him. And for a moment their eyes were locked and then Yi Jung’s face descended towards her. He draws her near and in a swift motion, their lips met. They shared an unhurried and passionate kiss under the lights of the tree.