The Contract

Will You Catch Me If I Fall?

Ga Eul was more cheerful waking up today than before. Somehow she felt that today will be an interesting day. She was busy fixing her hair with her ribbon when she noticed the paper she made last night. She scanned the paper once more and a smirk was lying at her red lips. She placed the paper in a folder and continued fixing her hair. She then proceeded to the dining room to take her breakfast and bid goodbye to her parents.

 

“Yobo, you’re daughter seemed happy today. I’m glad she took the news well. I’m afraid she will be anxious about her impending operation.” Her mother stated to his husband while cleaning the dishes.

 

“Yes, I agree with you but whatever keeps my precious Ga Eul happy today, I’m fine with it.” His father said while reading the newspaper.

 

Ga Eul went to the bus stop and seated quietly. She held the folder and hugged it to her chest. She in her school uniform, with her thick eyeglasses, and her long hair was tied neatly with her red ribbon. But somehow today, she looks different; she is like exuding a new aura.

 

“Anneong Mr. Kwon, How was your day so far?” Ga Eul greeted the bus driver while looking at him. She even patted the bus driver and thanked him genuinely.

 

“Anneong Ga Eul sshi, you look lovelier today. Well, I had a good start considering my daughter has taken her first walk today. I am so happy.” Mr. Kwon said while smiling wildly with a proud face.

 

“Thank you Mr. Kwon, that is so great. I’m very happy for you. Send my regards to Mrs. Kwon and your baby.” Ga Eul smiled and bowed down before taking her seat. As soon as she settled down, she immediately placed the folder on her lap and continuously caressing it. She then thought that this is indeed a good start. She smiled and waited patiently to arrive at her school.

 

Ga Eul walked her way to the crowd who were still busy preparing their booths for the upcoming fair. As soon as they spotted her, they began whispering about her courageous act yesterday. They began glaring her and talked about how unfair the Casanova was for giving in to her bargain.

 

“Huh? Is the robot going out with Yi Jung sunbae? It’s unfair!” One of the students said as they whispered to one another.

 

“Yes, I saw it with my both eyes. Yi Jung sshi, I mean, he agreed but that is because that robot was giving him that Egyptian soil clay. I wonder how she got it. They say that is expensive.” Another girl stated with a puzzled face.

 

Indeed that kind of clay soil was expensive and rare. She just got that last week from an elder person in their neighborhood. That was the old man’s way of expressing his gratitude from the help she gave him. She thought of the old man’s last word that time will come the soil will come in handy. Well true to his words, the clay soil has proved its worth for this has earned her a date with the Casanova. Then a group of girls were striding their way towards her. She was still in her trance when she noticed that the crowd was splitting in the center, as if giving way for an important person. Just then, a young handsome man with his signature layered tux, and that heart melting smile walked off towards her. She then stopped and noticed that everyone was staring at them. When she turned her head, she was amazed that the young man was standing in front of her. She adjusted her eyeglasses and noticed the Casanova was smirking at her in all his glory.

She bowed down at him and greeting him. She felt awkward with all the stares but she managed to compose herself by maintaining her stoic expression.

 

“Anneong haseyo, So Yi Jung sunbae. Ahm, nice to see you.” She bowed down as a form of greeting while adjusting her eyeglasses.

 

“What with the formality Ga Eul yang, I’m fine. What a lovely day it is, don’t you think? I was also looking for you. Kaja.” He said smirking while looking at Ga Eul’s expressionless face and found amusement at her fidgeting hands on the folder she was holding. He then suddenly grabs Ga Eul’s hand and went to his favorite spot. He smiled his famous killer smile to every girls they passed by. The students were all shocked and envious on what had transpired. The students started blathering on how lucky the robot was.

 

“Ah, Ga Eul yang” Yi Jung shouted as he called Ga Eul who remained motionless as soon as they arrived below the tree house. Ga Eul then looked at Yi Jung who gestured him to sit beside him at the grass patch below the tree house. She hesitantly looked at him and sat at a safe distance but enough to have a conversation. He then grins at the innocence of this girl in front of her. He even questioned if Ga Eul really knows what she’s doing, she practically bought s month of date with him, yet she’s acting so distant.

After some considerable time of silence, Yi Jung cleared his throat to ease the deafening quietness.

 

“Ehem … yah, Ga Eul yang, what is that folder?” Yi Jung said suddenly interested with the file Ga Eul was holding.

 

“ I, er, ahm….This is why I wanted to see you… This is the contract for our one month dates…” She stuttered at her statement and hesitantly passed the folder to Yi Jung.

 

“Contract? Do we really need this?” Yi Jung said while scanning the documents that Ga Eul handed to him.

 

 

 

 

THE CONTRACT

 

 

I,  Mr./Ms.______________ had agreed on a one month of dating Mr./Ms/____________ from this day ____________________ until _________________ with the following conditions: First: We must have a date at least thrice a week. Second: We should not be spending too much on the date and definitely no expensive gifts. Third:  We must not delve with each other’s lives. Fourth: We must not fall in love. Fifth: After one month, the contract is null and void, and we must continue        with our lives like nothing has ever happened.

                                                                                                            _________________

                                                                                                                   SIGNATURE

 

 

Ga Eul thought that the contract was brilliant. She doesn’t want Yi Jung to rattle her own personal life. She specifically noted there that no probing with their own personal life. But Yi Jung’s eyes were settled on the fourth condition. He unexpectedly let out a smirk which gained a raised eyebrow from Ga Eul.

 

He suddenly laughed and honestly Ga Eul is starting to be pissed off but she maintained an expressionless face. Yi Jung kept some time laughing and faced Ga Eul with a scrunch forehead.

 

“Do you seriously think that I’ll fall in love with a country bumpkin like you?” Yi Jung said with an annoying smile. Seriously this man is so full of himself; Ga Eul thought and rolled her eyes at him before speaking.

 

“I just want to make sure sunbae, why are you afraid that you might fall in love with me?” She said with maintain eye contact with him.

 

“What? Are you nuts, you wish! I’m just doing this for the clay you know.” He said smiling. He was sure surprised with Ga Eul’s response but then he just brushed it off and maintains his cool.

 

“Maybe. You just wrote it there to protect you from falling in love with me…. Or no, better yet, you must have liked me in the first place.” He stated to her this time with a much bigger grin that made him look like a fool. He was certainly enjoying this.

 

Ga Eul was totally pissed right now. She was thinking hard on what would be her response to Yi Jung’s arrogance. She is now controlling herself from hitting the arrogant Casanova seated in front of her.

 

“Well, why? If that is the case… Will you catch me sunbae? Will YOU catch ME if I FALL?” Ga Eul certainly emphasized the words to the now dumbstruck Yi Jung whose smile immediately fell out after Ga Eul’s response.

 

He composed himself and took out a pen from his suit and stated, “Well the conditions aren’t that bad. Here, sign yours so I can keep it.” He accomplished it as quickly as he can and handed Ga Eul the other copy and pen. He waited for her to finish her copy and grabbed it. He then patted Ga Eul’s head and caressed her cheeks before saying goodbye. He then stood up and straightened his tux.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow then, it says on the contract that tomorrow will be the first day. Anneong my Ga Eul yang. See you around.” He then saluted Ga Eul with his two fingers as a way of saying farewell. On the other hand, Ga Eul was still seated on the grass patch and can’t seem to move. She was like a robot or like a statue rooted to the ground. She felt the warm on her cheeks. She touched it and instantly felt that she was blushing. After some time she regained her strength and started walking to her classroom.