Baby Steps

Hearts Will Never Change

“So you met with Jinyoung-hyung yesterday, right?” Gongchan asked as he sat down next to Lila during lunch.

            “Oh, yeah, how did you know?” Lila wondered.

            “Just cause,” Gongchan said with a chuckle, “and because Jinyoung-hyung was in a brighter mood today compared to the past days.”

            “Really?” Lila asked in surprise.

            “Yeah, so what is the relationship between you two now to make him so happy?”

            “We’re not in a relationship,” Lila said shaking her head.

            “Huh, is that true,” Gongchan said as he eyed Lila suspiciously. Honestly he didn’t entirely believe her, but he wasn’t sure of the relationship between her and Sandeul and her and Jinyoung. Gongchan knew that the two guys both had a crush on Lila, but he didn’t know if Lila had chosen between the two of them. “So does that mean that you’re going to be with Sandeul-hyung now?”

            “Why do I have to be with anyone?” Lila questioned. “Being in a relationship doesn’t necessarily have to bring about happiness, you know.”

            “I know,” Gongchan said with a chuckle as he looked over to see Baro and Sandeul entering the dining hall. “But sometimes it helps to have someone to lean on.”

            “So you guys are here,” Baro said as he and Sandeul approached Gongchan and Lila.

            “Yeah, we are,” Gongchan said with a smile. “Sit, sit.”

            “Thanks, Channie,” Baro said with a smile as he sat down across from Gongchan and Sandeul sat down across from Lila. “So, what were we talking about?”

            “Nothing in particular,” Lila said shrugging her shoulders as she attempted to avoid eye contact with Sandeul. “Do Jinyoung-oppa and Shinwoo-oppa have class?”

            “They’re actually at a recording right now,” Sandeul said as he looked at Lila who quickly adverted her gaze.

            Sandeul wasn’t entirely sure why Lila was avoiding looking into his eyes, but he figured that it had something to do with the incident that happened. Since then he hadn’t talked with either Jinyoung or Lila about anything. Whenever he wanted to talk to Lila, she would always avoid him, and Jinyoung just seemed too angry to talk about anything. Sandeul was curious, though. He wanted to know where the three of them now stood and what would happen to all of them, but it seemed like a slightly harmful conversation for any of them.

            “Oh,” Lila said nodding her head. “And you guys don’t have to go record?”

            “Nope,” Baro said shaking his head as he filled his mouth with rice. “I actually have a recording later today, but not right now. Right Channie? We have the recording together.”

            “Right,” Gongchan said as he looked at Lila and smiled.

            “Um…listen…Lila,” Sandeul said as he attempted to talk with her.

            “I have to go now,” Lila said as she quickly got up from the table. “I’ll see you guys later, alright?”

            “Okay,” Gongchan awkwardly said as he watched Lila walk away. “See you later, Lila!”

            “What was that about?” Baro questioned as he looked at Sandeul. “Why did Lila like completely ignore you?”

            “I…she must have somewhere to go. That must be it,” Sandeul said nodding his head and attempting to find some reason for Lila’s sudden departure.

            “That’s not what it looked like,” Baro said as he looked at Gongchan. “Channie, you must have something, right? You always have some sort of information.”

            “Well, you see,” Gongchan said as he attempted to find the right words to say. “There’s just been a lot on her mind lately, you know? It’s very probable that she forgot about something.”

            “Okay then,” Baro sighed. “It’s still suspicious, you know?”

            “Yeah,” Sandeul sighed as his eyes lingered on the doorway that Lila left from. “Um…I think I’m going to get going.”

            “Why? You’ve barely even touched your food, or rather you haven’t touched it at all. Are you sick?” Gongchan wondered.

            “I’m just tired,” Sandeul said as he attempted his best at a smile. “I’m going to go back to the dorm and rest. I don’t have anything to do this afternoon.”

            “See you when we go back,” Gongchan said with a smile as he waved Sandeul off.

            “See you then,” Baro muttered as he looked down at his food before looking at Gongchan. “Now that Sandeul is gone, would you care to explain to me what’s been happening lately, Channie?”

            “I guess,” Gongchan sighed as he made sure no one would be eavesdropping. “So this is what’s been happening…”

            After quickly leaving the dining hall Sandeul hurried to try to find Lila. He wanted to talk with her, he had to talk with her. It wasn’t like he could just live the rest of his life pretending that none of it ever happened, he couldn’t do that. “Lila!” Sandeul called as he saw her back figure and ran to try to catch up to her. “Oh, I’m sorry,” Sandeul quickly said as he attempted to help the person that he knocked over while he was running. “I’m sorry, I should’ve been watching where I was going.”

            “You really should have, Lee Sandeul,” Eunji said with a smile.

            “I don’t have time for you,” Sandeul said as he tried to brush right past her, but Eunji kept a firm grip on his arm. “Let go,” Sandeul demanded.

            “I have to talk with you.”

            “I have to talk with someone else. There’s nothing else for me to say to you,” Sandeul said as he tried to find Lila again, but she was already long gone. “Fine,” he sighed as he looked at Eunji. “What is it you want to talk about?”

            “I’m leaving,” Eunji confessed.

            “This isn’t the first time I’m hearing this,” Sandeul said as he remembered the numerous times that Eunji had said that before. “What makes this time any different?”

            “Because I’m really leaving for good.”

            “And you stopped me to announce this to me?”

            “I just wanted to bid my goodbye.”

            “And you just had to bid me goodbye?” Sandeul wondered. “There has to be something else to this. Did you want to ask me something? Why did you stop me from going after Lila?”

            “So it is just always about her,” Eunji muttered to herself as she let Sandeul go.

            “What are you talking about?”

            “You never really liked me, did you,” Eunji said as she looked Sandeul right in the eyes. “It was always about Lila, wasn’t it?”

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Sandeul said. “What are you talking about it always being Lila? You’re the one who caused our relationship to be like this in the end.”

            “So she was right,” Eunji scoffed.

            “Who? Lila? What did she say?”

            “She said you were never going to come back to me and I guess you aren’t.”

            “Eunji,” Sandeul said as he looked at her. “I’m not going back to you, but it wasn’t Lila the entire time. No matter how you and I got together in the first place, I did like you. My feelings for you did grow over time, but in the light of things…I just don’t have any feelings for you anymore. I’m sorry, Eunji, but just know that I really did like you at one point.”

            “I really liked you, too,” Eunji sighed. “And I’m sorry. I’m sorry about everything.”

            “I don’t think I should be the one you apologize to, but if you’re leaving, then I guess there’s no other way. Goodbye Eunji,” Sandeul said with a faint smile. “Maybe future will let us meet each other again?”

            “Who knows,” Eunji said as she smiled back. “Goodbye Sandeul, it was nice knowing you.”

 

“You seem in a brighter mood today,” Shinwoo said as he sat down next to Jinyoung during their break. “What happened last night? Where did you go?”

            “I went to go meet Lila,” Jinyoung said as he took a sip of his drink.

            “Really? I thought you weren’t going to see her ever again.”

            “When did I ever say that?” Jinyoung asked.

            “That’s just what I automatically assumed,” Shinwoo said shrugging his shoulders. “You seemed pretty mad that one night and I asked Sandeul what happened and he explained it. I don’t think Baro knows, though. Gongchan probably does since he and Lila talk with one another.”

            “It doesn’t matter,” Jinyoung said shaking his head. “It’s in the past now.”

            “So does that mean you and Lila are getting together again?”

            “It didn’t really mean anything. Is it supposed to mean something?”

            “No, but you still like Lila, I can see it in your eyes, but Sandeul likes Lila, too,” Shinwoo said. “Has she made a choice?”

            “Not yet.”

            “Well is she going to make one?”

            “I’m not sure,” Jinyoung said thinking about it a little. “I mean…I don’t know what she’s doing. At this point I think we’re all just trying to figure everything out.”

            “Understandable,” Shinwoo sighed as he took a glance around the set before looking back at Jinyoung. “But if she wanted to, would you get back together with her?”

            “I don’t know,” Jinyoung honestly admitted. “Frankly, I’ve never thought about that before. I guess I would be happy if she wanted to get together with me, but I don’t know if I’d be able to make her happy.”

            “You’ve made her happy this far, though, haven’t you?”

            “I think I’ve made her happy, at least I hope I’ve made her happy through the times that we’ve spent together, but there’s still so much that I don’t know about her. There’s still a lot that I’d like to know about Lila, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to.”

            “Well if it comes to the end and you and her don’t get back together, who says that you guys can’t be friends? In the end, whoever she chooses, even if she doesn’t choose anyone, just continue being her friend and put the bad events away in your mind. I’m sure she’ll appreciate it,” Shinwoo said as he patted Jinyoung on the back.

 

“Coming!” Lila yelled as she put the bowl of ramen she was eating down on the table. She didn’t know who could be at her door that late and figured that it might’ve been someone important, so she couldn’t just let it go. When she saw it was Sandeul, though, she swore her heart skipped a beat. Lila wondered why Sandeul would be visiting her and wondered if it was because she ignored him earlier that day.

            “Lila, it’s me,” Sandeul called from outside of the door as he continued knocking. “I know you’re in there. Please, I want to talk with you.”

            Gently closing her eyes, Lila took a couple of deep breaths and attempted to think about what would happen if she and Sandeul were to talk with one another. Even though it had been a little while since the party they attended together, Lila still wasn’t sure of her feelings. She knew that what she did was a bit sudden and it started the chain reaction of consequences, but somehow, she didn’t regret what she did.

            As Lila opened her eyes, she unlocked the door to let Sandeul into the apartment. “Hi,” Lila awkwardly greeted as she saw him standing in the doorway.

            “Hi,” Sandeul greeted back with a wide smile. “I didn’t think you’d actually open the door for me.”

            “Yeah,” Lila said as she looked at Sandeul and then back into her apartment. “Um…would you like to come in?”

            “Sure,” Sandeul said as he slowly stepped into her apartment. “Were you in the middle of eating? Was I disturbing something?”

            “No, no, no,” Lila said quickly taking the ramen back to the kitchen. “Would you like some? I could make it?”

            “It doesn’t matter.”

            “Just give me a couple of minutes, I’ll make some more,” Lila said as she hurriedly went into the kitchen.

            “Here, I’ll help,” Sandeul said as he followed behind.

            Silently the two of them began making ramen. Neither of them said a word to one another throughout the entire process, even though they both wanted to. Lila wanted to know why Sandeul went to her apartment at such a late hour and Sandeul wanted to talk about the incident. Even though they both wanted to say something, it wasn’t going to be that easy to talk about the subjects since they hadn’t talked to one another in a while.

            “Mm, it’s good,” Sandeul said after he tried the ramen. “Of course food made by a woman is different.”

            “Is it really? It’s nothing really special,” Lila softly said. “But…why did you decide to come here?”

            “I just wanted to talk with you,” Sandeul said as he put down his chopsticks and looked at Lila. “We haven’t talked about anything and I just felt like we had to.”

            “Well what do you want to talk about?” Lila curiously asked.

            “I was just curious about your feelings, that’s all,” Sandeul slowly admitted. “You know that I still like you, but I was wondering what you thought. It’s alright if you don’t like me,” Sandeul quickly added. “I know that you and I have had our history together, but I can’t help but to be curious, you know? I also understand if you like Jinyoung-hyung more than I do. After all, I’m the one that broke up with you before.”

            “I’m sorry,” Lila softly said. “I know it must be confusing and frustrating to hear that.”

            “It’s alright. Like I said, I understand if you like Jinyoung-hyung more.”

            “I’m not saying that, though,” Lila said clarifying her statement. “I’m sorry about not being able to tell you anything. I’m sorry about not being able to tell Jinyoung-oppa anything either. I honestly don’t know my feelings. It’s all so confused and jumbled that half the time I don’t even know what I’m thinking about. I’m just sorry about everything, you know?”

            “Why are you crying?” Sandeul asked as he saw the tears start to gradually fall out of Lila’s eyes.

            “It’s nothing,” Lila said as she quickly went to wipe them away, but Sandeul grabbed her hand, preventing her from wiping them, and with his other hand, brought her face up to look at him.

            “Don’t cry,” Sandeul said as he slowly wiped away Lila’s tears himself and brought her close so he could hug her.

            “I’m just sorry about everything,” Lila said as more tears started falling. “I’m sorry that you and Jinyoung-oppa aren’t talking and that I’m breaking apart your group. I’m sorry that you have to deal with a confused me and that you and Jinyoung-oppa both have had to unnecessarily worry about me. I’m just sorry about everything, you know?”

            “You don’t have to be sorry about everything,” Sandeul said as he hugged Lila tighter. “Everything happens for a reason and I’m sure that in the end, Jinyoung-hyung and I will still be by your side, no matter what happens.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who will Lila end up with? Will she even end up with anyone? How will Sandeul and Jinyoung make amends? What will happen when everything is said and done?

 

Here's Chapter 29. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And below I have a poll here to see where everyone stands as I see that some people think she should be with Sandeul and some think that she should be together with Jinyoung. The poll will also help determine if you guys think there should be an alternate ending, if you think I should let both Jinyoung and Sandeul have a happy ending. Who knows what'll happen because there's also an option if you think Lila shouldn't end up with anyone.

 

Anyway, the poll is at the bottom, so vote if you want to and I guess I'll be seeing you.

 

Have a good morning, good afternoon, or goodnight. See you soon :)

P.S. Who else is excited for B1A4's comeback in January? I'm frankly excited to see what type of concept they're going to do this time. I guess we'll just have to wait for January...and I'm also excited about their concert, The Class. It seems like a cool concept. I can totally see them acting something out where they're all in school together. Maybe they should use their satooris and make it like they transferred to a Seoul school or something, haha. Anyway, a girl can dream...