Hard Decisions

Hearts Will Never Change

Their relationship was good. Lila and Sandeul couldn’t be separated from one another. They were both living out their ideal relationship with one another. The both of them were helplessly in love and no one could stop them.

            “You guys,” Minhyuk said rolling his eyes at the lovey-dovey sight that was in front of him for yet another lunch day. In the beginning he thought it was weird, but he was also happy for Sandeul because he finally confessed to the girl that he liked.

            “Then go get your own table,” Sandeul said once he heard Minhyuk complain. He figured that it was Minhyuk’s choice of wanting to sit at a table with them anyway when he clearly knew what they were going to do and be like.

            Two years had already passed before both of their eyes. Sandeul was going to graduate and Lila was going to be left behind because of the age difference. It didn’t matter, though; they both figured they were going to be together. Neither of them wanted to waste a moment together because of anything. They wanted to be together and figured that they were going to do whatever it took to do it.

            “You know,” Lila said after the lunchtime with Minhyuk. “Why doesn’t he find himself a girlfriend?”

            “Find himself a girlfriend?” Sandeul asked before he began laughing from such a statement.

            “Hey,” Lila said hitting Sandeul for laughing. “Why are you laughing? I’m being dead serious.”

            “He doesn’t have time for a girlfriend.”

            “How would you know that?”

            “Because all he does is plays the drums all day,” Sandeul said shaking the absurdity that would be Minhyuk having a girlfriend. “He just plays the drums and goofs off. It’s not like he actually has time to spend with a girlfriend. The girlfriend would have to be someone who’s exactly like him.”

            “What if I said I’m exactly like him?” Lila tested. She wanted to see Sandeul’s reaction to such a thing.

            “What are you talking about? There’s no way! You can’t go to Minhyuk! We’re dating! You’re mine and only mine!” With that, Sandeul immediately took Lila into his embrace.

            “Uh…oppa, you can let me go now,” Lila said as she attempted to get out of his grasp, but still, he held a pretty firm hold onto her.

            “But you said that you were going to leave me. I can’t have that happen,” Sandeul said as he was still hugging her.

            “I’m not actually going to leave you, silly,” Lila said laughing at his foolishness.

            “So, for the record, you don’t actually like Minhyuk, right?” Sandeul cautiously asked.

            “Yes,” Lila said nodding her head with a wide smile. She was appreciative of how much Sandeul watched over her and was worried when she had said something about possibly being together with Minhyuk instead of him.

            “Good,” Sandeul said quickly kissing her on the cheek before running away to his next class.

            “Hey!” Lila called after him, but Sandeul only looked back and smiled since he knew that her next class was the other way on the other side of school and she couldn’t chase him. Even though he was running away, Sandeul could see the redness that was beginning to appear on Lila’s face because of him and frankly, he enjoyed it.

“I’ll see you after class, alright?” Sandeul yelled back before he rounded the corner to run off to his class.

            Being a senior, Sandeul got more free time than Lila. While she was in class sometimes, he would be outside and just walking around. That time, however, it was a lazy afternoon where he was lying on the grass and hoping to catch a quick nap before he had to get up and make his way to another class. Right when sleep was within his grasp, Sandeul’s phone rang waking him completely up and rendering him unable to attempt to fall asleep again.

            “Hello?” Sandeul asked picking up the phone in a slightly raspy voice.

            “Is this Mr. Lee Sandeul?” the voice on the other line asked.

            “This is he,” he responded as he attempted to straighten himself out. It seemed like the person on the other line was important. “What is this phone call concerning?”

            “We need you to stop by the company—”

            “The company!” Sandeul yelled, but quickly looked around to see if anyone was listening. He didn’t want anyone to know, he had kept it a secret for quite a while, he even kept it a secret from Lila. No one knew that he had gone to Seoul to audition to be in an entertainment company. It wasn’t a big secret that Sandeul liked singing and had a passion for it, but it was a secret that he wanted to be a singer. No one knew about it, not even Lila. For some reason, Sandeul didn’t feel as though he would be able to tell her. So, without telling anyone, Sandeul had secretly gone to Seoul to audition to become a part of a company with the possibility of breaking out into the entertainment business and possibly becoming an idol.

            “Sorry, sorry, I’m so sorry,” Sandeul said quickly apologizing after realizing that he had practically screamed into the guy’s ear.

            “We understand that you can’t contain your excitement, right?” the guy asked with a light chuckle. “But yes, we want you to come to the company this afternoon if it’s alright with you. So what is the earliest time you can get here?”

            “Right now,” he quickly said. Sandeul didn’t want to waste another minute. He wanted to be in Seoul in that instant and learn about the offer that the company had for him. Sandeul couldn’t believe that his dream was beginning to come true.

            Without even second guessing himself, Sandeul grabbed all of his stuff and ran home. He was going to change before he went to Seoul, the people there couldn’t see him in his school uniform. They did know that he was a student, but arriving in his school uniform wouldn’t seem good because then they would know that he skipped school to go to the meeting at the company and Sandeul didn’t want to figure out what the consequences of that was.

            It didn’t take long for him to go to the company and arrive at the doors. Sandeul’s heart was beating faster than he thought. “Take deep breaths, just deep breaths,” he muttered to himself before he stepped foot inside of the company.

 

After school, Lila waited outside of the school for Sandeul, but she saw no sign of him. He was never the last one out of school and she was growing concerned with every passing second. Lila figured that she couldn’t call his phone again because she had been calling it and no one was picking up. It wasn’t like his phone was turned off, it was just that he wasn’t answering. As she was about to turn to go home, she saw Minhyuk walking out of school with his headphones on and the music blasting.

            “Hey, you,” Lila said as she took Minhyuk’s headphones off of his head.

            “Is that any way to speak to a sunbae?” Minhyuk joked as he straightened himself out before looking around. It was strange for Sandeul to not be right by Lila’s side and for him to keep eyes like a hawk on Minhyuk whenever the two spoke to one another. “Where’s Sandeul?”

            “I was hoping you’d tell me,” Lila said sighing in defeat. “No one’s seen him.”

            “He was here before his break, right?”

            “Yea, I’m entirely sure,” Lila said as a memory of what happened in the hallway earlier entered her mind.

            “Hey, are you alright?” Minhyuk asked as he saw the color deepening on Lila’s cheeks.

            “Perfectly fine,” Lila said attempting to hide her smile. “Um…so I guess I’ll go home then.”

            “Alright, do you want me to walk with you?”

            “No,” Lila said shaking her head. “I’ll be perfectly fine, thanks anyway, though.”

            “Okay,” Minhyuk said nodding his head before he put his music back on. “Lila,” he said stopping her in her tracks. She turned back to look at him. “If I find out where he is, I’ll tell you right away.”

            “Same here,” she said nodding her head before she continued on her way home.

            “Lila, you’re home,” her mother said as soon as she stepped foot inside.

            “You’re particularly cheery today,” Lila said taking notice of her mother’s attitude and above all of that, she was cooking. Lila’s mother rarely ever cooked and only cooked if something important were happening. “I’m guessing we’re doing something tonight?”

            “We have some exciting news to tell you, I’m sure you’ll be happy,” her mother said with a skip in her step. Her mother still remembered Lila’s request before she entered high school and now that they were able to finally fulfill it, she was happy and only wished for her daughter’s happiness.

 

“Sandeul, I’d like for you to meet your new group mates,” the president of the company said as he placed Sandeul in front of four other boys who were all sitting at a round table. “Guys, this is Lee Sandeul, he will be joining the group as the main vocal.”

            “Main vocal, me?” Sandeul asked pointing to himself.

            “Yes,” the president said. “Boys, introduce yourselves.”

            “Jinyoung.”

            “Shinwoo.”

            “Gongchan.”

            “Baro.”

            “And I’m Sandeul,” Sandeul said pointing to himself with a big smile.

            “Now that we’re all here, let’s get this meeting started,” the president said as they all sat back down in their seats. “You will all be working together and training together as a group from now on. You guys should get more acquainted with each other as time passes, too. It’s a long journey ahead all of you.”

            The meeting started off well. The talked about what concepts they wanted to go for and what genres of music they wanted to pursue with the group and they even talked about the group’s name for a little bit, but no one had any good ideas that they would actively pursue. Instead, they decided that that would be settled for another day.

            “Now, relationships,” the president said leaning back in his chair. “Are any of you currently in a relationship?”

            At that question, Sandeul hesitated to state whether or not he was. He knew that something bad would probably come from him saying that he was, but he didn’t want to find out what would happen if the president were to find out that he lied about having a girlfriend in the first place. What if he debuted and got caught with her? What would he be able to do then? They were going to be rookies and things like that couldn’t happen, especially in the early years or rather at all.

            “I…do,” Sandeul said slightly raising his hand after it seemed like no one else had a girlfriend. “I’ve been dating her for two years.”

            “Two years, that’s pretty long,” the president said thinking about it..

            “It…kinda is,” Sandeul said awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

            “I want you to break up with her, though,” he said as he broke the truth. “You can’t go into the entertainment business with a girlfriend, they just hold you back.”

            “She hasn’t held me back this far,” Sandeul attempted to protest, but he realized how stupid that sounded after knowing that he didn’t even tell Lila about him secretly practicing to become an idol for a year and a half.

            “Still, what happens if the press find out that you have a girlfriend? What about your private life and what about your private life? You guys will never get any time to yourselves, what about that? If you love her, I suggest you break up. Your schedule will get hectic and you won’t always be there to protect her. I’ll let you think about it, but think about what’s good for the both of you.”

 

“America?” Lila asked in disbelief.

            “Yes,” her mother happily announced. “We’re offering you two years for you to study abroad in your dream place.”

            “America,” Lila slowly repeated. She had always wanted to go there since she was small. She had always wanted to study there. Now there was an opportunity right in front of her eyes about going, but that meant that she would have to leave Sandeul behind for two years.

            “We know how much you love Sandeul,” her mother continued as she looked at her father. “But just think, he’ll be off at college and you’ll be stuck here. What’s a better way to spend the rest of your high school years than to go off to America?”

            “I guess that is true,” Lila said thinking about it. She wanted to go, but she also wondered about her relationship with Sandeul. Would they even be able to last two years without seeing one another? Lila was pretty sure that she wouldn’t spend the entire two years over in America and that she would come back once in a while, but she figured that her mother was right. Sandeul was going to be in college and whether or not he was going to be able to visit her whenever she was in Korea, Lila wasn’t entirely sure. Was it something she should risk or not?

            “We’ll let you think on it,” her father announced after seeing his daughter’s confused face. “Just tell us in two days, alright?”

            “Alright,” Lila said sighing. “Two days and I will tell you my decision. Thank you,” she said as she got up and tightly hugged her parents. “Thank you for doing this for me.”

            “No problem, and we won’t be mad if you don’t go,” her mother said giving a supportive smile. “It’s your happiness that counts after all.”

            Later that night, Lila thought about her relationship with Sandeul and about the opportunity to go abroad for two years of her high school life to America. Right when she was about to put her mind to rest for the night, she got a text message from Sandeul telling her to meet him on the school roof.

 

“You wanted to meet me?” Lila asked Sandeul as they were standing on the school roof the next day. “Why?”

            “I want to break up,” Sandeul said looking at her straight in the eyes. “I don’t think we should see each other anymore.”

            “Why…why do you want to break up?” Lila asked in disbelief. She couldn’t believe that Sandeul was breaking up with her. They spent two years together. Did the two years mean nothing to him at all? They were the envy of everyone and here he was throwing it away and for what reason?

            “I just think we should stop,” he said as he began walking away from her and down the stairs into the school. He wanted to go back up on the rooftop and hug Lila and to take those words back, but he couldn’t. He wanted to stop her tears from flowing and the pain that she would probably endure without him being there, but he couldn’t. In the end, the only thing he could wish for was that she would understand. Maybe she wouldn’t understand now, but he hoped that she would in the future.

            Lila stayed on the rooftop thinking about Sandeul’s words. He wanted to break up, well, they are broken up, and he gave no explanation as to why. Lila was confused; she thought that they had a great relationship. Today was the day that she was going to tell him that she rejected her parent’s offer to go study in the United States for two years, but seeing as she and Sandeul were no longer boyfriend and girlfriend, why did she have to stay stuck in Korea when she could make a new life for herself over there? Lila made up her mind, she was going to go to the United States and get Lee Sandeul off of her mind forever.

            The next day in school, Lee Sandeul was never seen again. To Lila, it was like he never existed in the first place, but she could never see him around school. A week passed and it was time for her to go to the United States. “Goodbye Korea,” she muttered to herself before the plane took off. “Goodbye to the old Lila.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there are really no questions to ask since this is the past...

But how will the CEO of the company react when he hears the story? How will Jinyoung react? How will Lila and Sandeul act towards each other after they know the entire story? Will Lila and Sandeul's relationship begin to change?

 

Here is Chapter 14. Hope you enjoyed :D