Chapter 2

Winter's Melody: Broken Strings

 

Chapter 2

Second String

 

            After eating breakfast, taking a bath, and running some errands in the house, Shin Hye busied herself in pasting the developed pictures she had captured yesterday on her precious notebook. She was enjoying in bringing the creativeness out of her as she was putting colorful papers and designs to the pictures. On the lower part, she also put captions on it, describing the pictures and briefly telling how those pictures played a significant role in her life yesterday.

            “Ah, yeppuda,” she exclaimed as she looked at the almost done work of hers. “And for the last piece,” she then looked at the remaining pieces of pictures on the floor. She scrutinized it one by one when her eyes seemed to be glued on a particular photograph.

            It’s the picture of the cold, stiff and frigid guy who doesn’t care about the world, the guy named Hong Ki. That guy was really remarkable not only because of i-don’t-care-about-you attitude but also because of one particular thing happened last night…

            Shin Hye felt her body tremble when the cold winter breeze blew. It’s really cold outside. Plus the fact that she’s now feeling the beat of her neurons, and it’s really painful. She doesn’t know how she can still stay composed for that moment, but she’s thankful she is. She blew hardly on her hands so she could heat them up but it didn’t suffice to the coldness she feels at the moment.

            Hong Ki glanced at her as gave her a helmet. At last, he has been swayed to send her back home.

            “Wear that,” he casually said as he rode unto his motorcycle and started its engine. He also let her carry his guitar so he could easily maneuver the vehicle. And she was like kid who obediently followed his instructions, and only hopped in when he told her to do so. She positioned herself at the back of the motorcycle. Then, put her hands on his shoulders for support.

            “Are you set there at the back?” he asked.

            “Yes,” she simply answered.

            “Hold on tighter or else you’ll fall.”

            Then, she felt Hong Ki’s hands enveloped her cold freezing hand and wrapped them around his waist. She was startled when she felt that, but his hands were warm enough it lessen the coldness she feels.

            “Don’t you have your winter gloves with you?” she heard him asked. “You’re hands are already freezing.”

            “I don’t. I forgot them when I went out.”

            “Aish,” she heard him hissed. But then, what surprised her is when she felt a warm cloth enveloped her hands. And when she looked at it, she saw Hong Ki took off his own gloves and put it on her tiny, cooling hands.

            “Gomawoyo,” she said with a smile on her face though she isn't sure if he had heard her clearly because he had already started the engine and ran the motorcycle. However, she was happy enough to know that this cold guy still possesses warmness in his being. Little did she know that she’s already leaning her head on his back so she can gain support from his body and ease the little pain in the head she’s feeling. Then, she just shut her eyes off and feel the wind brushing through her.

            With that, she automatically pasted Hong Ki’s picture as the last piece of her artwork today. Because of him, a lot of unpredictable things happened to her yesterday, all of which are worth remembering.

            She opened the drawer in the table near her and grabbed the winter gloves Hong Ki had lent her last night. She looked at it with a smile on her face. Then, she put it inside her backpack. She’ll return it to him the moment she’ll see him again.

            “It’s done,” she happily exclaimed as she flipped the pages of her wonderful and thick notebook until she reached the part where she had put all her to-do notes. She put a check mark at all the things she had already accomplished. Then, she scrolled it down to look for the next thing she has to do.

            “Guitar instructor,” she mouthed the words she read into her notes. So the next thing she’ll be doing is to find someone who could teach her to play guitar. And it was like automatic when Hong Ki’s irascible face popped into her mind. She has to admit she liked the way he performed last night. She saw he was good in playing guitar. But what got her most is the way he conveys the song. And she would love to learn that too from him. But how can she convince that man to teach her? He was harder to persuade than a rebellious teenager.

            She reached for her phone and dialed Jae Jin’s number. She got Jae Jin’s number and the other members of the band as well so she could contact them at times she would need their help, just like this one.

______________________

 

            Shin Hye is standing at a corner, looking at the different musical instruments found inside that room. She is currently in the rehearsal studio of FT Island, the band where that irascible guy named Hong Ki belongs. She was currently there, waiting for Hong Ki as what Jae Jin had told her.

            It was so silent inside the room while she was waiting. So she hummed a little to enlighten herself. She’s humming the song Hong Ki sang last night silently as she walked towards the drum set and touched it carefully. She would also love to learn how to play that cool stuff. Then she took a look at the several guitars placed in a corner and grew fond of it. She looked at the whole place and it was just awesome in her eyes.

            She was so busy wandering in FT Island’s cab she didn’t actually realize she’s already singing the song now.

            “Oh it tears me up. I tried to hold on but it hurts too much… I tried to forgive but it’s not enough to make it all okay… You can't play on broken strings… You can't feel anything…”

            “What are you doing here?”

            She felt her heart jump out of its place because of shock when she heard that familiar cold voice. He’s finally here. She slowly turned herself around and faced the same cold man. She greeted him with the sweetest smile she can ever give, but he only gave her a cold questioning gaze.

            “Hi,” she simply said, unsure of what to say. She felt she became somewhat speechless when she saw him today. His presence is just dominating that it made her brain blank for a moment.

            “You again?” Hong Ki rolled his eyes irascibly. This guy really has the nerve… “What are you doing here? Isn't this some kind of your stalking ways?”

            His tone was sarcastic and teasing. Here he goes again, assuming that she is his stalker. And she can only shake her head mentally as she sighs so she can keep her calm. After all, she has a favor to ask from him.

            “How many times do I have to tell you that I ain’t your fan or your stalker? You’re not even a real celebrity who debuted in the industry,” she said in a calm voice. “But well, it’s a good thing that you already arrived. I was really waiting for you.”

            “Waiting for me?” Hong Ki raised his eyebrow. “How did you know that I will be here? And why are you waiting for me? So you’re not stalking me, huh?”

            She sighed and just didn’t mind his being sarcastic. “I called Jae Jin and asked him about you, and he informed me that you’ll be here.”

            “And why?”’

            “Well, because… I have a favor to ask from you…” she said, a bit nervous, but also expecting that he would turn her down, even without hearing what she has to say.

            Hong Ki sarcastically chuckled a bit. Then he shook his head as he gazed at her like she was some kind of an unbelievable thing.

            “You know what; I can't believe your ways. What is it this time?” he placed his arms in front his chest and stared at her like she was a dust. This guy is really mean.

            “I… well… uhm… I was just wondering if you could… uhm… be of help on my guitar lessons…” she let her words out, biting her lower lip as she feels nervous.

            “What?” Hong Ki chuckled a bit. “Ahh jinjja… you really are something, don’t you?”

            “So what… uhm… is that a yes?”

            “No.”

            Her eyes encircled because with how he made a decision without a blink of an eye. It’s not that she was not expecting this turn down from him. In fact, she’ll be more surprised if he said yes. But, how can he be really cruel that he really didn’t bother to synthesize her thoughts well before he gave her an answer.

            “Ya, aren’t you going to think about it first?”

            “There’s no need to think about it at all. I already said no,” he said firmly.

            “Please?” she pleaded with her puppy eyes. But Hong Ki only seemed to be a hard stone.

            “No.”

            Hong Ki walked away from her towards the direction of his guitar. He held it and strummed it a little as if he was checking if it is on tune. He continued to do his things as if she doesn’t exist in that place.

            “Aish. So mean,” she whispered with a pout. But she still has some bright ideas in her head. Jae Jin already informed her that it will be hard to convince Hong Ki. But he also told him some tricks to get him say yes.

            Hong Ki then suddenly stared at her. And he was eyeing her as if she was a very impossible thing.

            “You’re saying something?” he asked in his irascible manner.

            “Ah… eh… No,” she gently shook her head.

            “Then, if you have nothing more to say, you can leave now. I still have some things to do,” he said then, he ce again to his guitar and tried to play it again.

            “Y-ya,” was left open with how this guy is undeniably rude. But she guessed she has already mastered patience good enough to contain Lee Hong Ki. And she just felt that there’s something in him that she wants to understand.

            She ran towards Hong Ki’s direction. She’ll try to plead on him again. He has to say yes.

            “Hong Ki.”

            “Ya, didn’t I tell you that you’re a disturbance? Aish. What is it now?” he said in an annoyed tone.

            “Please, just help me. I badly want to learn guitar,” she pleaded once more.

            “If you want to learn guitar, it’s not me whom you should ask. Jong Hoon can teach you. He’s better at those stuffs.”

            “But… but… I really want to learn from you. I saw how you play the guitar at your gig. And you’re good enough,” she pouted.

            Hong Ki raised his brows. “I know. And I’m not just good enough. I am better than what you expect,” he fearlessly and confidently declared. “What is this huh? Another way so you could be close to me? Well, I’m telling you, among my fans, you’ve been very persistent. But your ways won’t get into me.”

            She sighed once more. This fellow is really something.

            “I told you, I’m neither a fan nor a stalker. I just need your help. You really fit to be my guitar instructor, plus the fact that you’re also good in singing.”

            “Then just enroll yourself in a musical school,” he said without blinking an eye. Then he ce more to his guitar. “You can't do anything to convince me so you better go now.”

            “Really? Even if I tell you I’m gonna pay for every lesson?” she said with a smile, looking intently on how Hong Ki would react. “Well, I heard you need some help for this studio of yours. You’ve been looking for extra jobs, right?”

            Hong Ki then looked at her with furious eyes. “What? Who told you about that? Did that Jae Jin told you?”

            “Uh-huh...” she nodded, suppressing her smile. It seems that she’s in control now. “My offer would be very helpful to you.”

            “Aish. That punk, really! I’m gonna kick him when I see him!” then his irritated eyes stared at her. His eyes were glued at her for a while. Then, she saw him sighed a little. “How much every lessons?”

            The smile of success then curved her lips.

_____________

           “Let me take a look at your guitar,” Hong Ki motioned her to give her guitar to him. And she excitedly obliged. The guitar lessons with Mr. Jerk is now officially starting. She saw Hong Ki took her guitar out and put it into his lap as he gently strummed it with his fingers.

            He started to trace a note with his left fingers and pluck the strings with her right hand. And upon hearing the melody of the song, she felt her heart thump a little recognizing the song he’s playing. And she felt excited hearing her favorite song actually playing in front of her.

            “Omo~ that’s faraway by nickelback! That’s my favorite song!” she excitedly squealed. Hong Ki just stared at her.

            “Do you know this song?” Hong Ki asked her.

            “Yes! I do know that song! I love that song,” she nodded.

            “Well then, sing the song. Let me see your singing capacities,” he instructed her.

            “Eh?” she blinked, confused.

            “I thought you know the song? Why? Are you not confident with your capacities?” Hong Ki asked her irascibly. “How would I know what to teach you if I don’t know your abilities?”

            “Arachi. I’ll sing it then,” she said with a sigh. She felt really nervous. What if she’s not good enough for him? What if she doesn’t pass his standards? But knowing this guy, would there really be something that could pass his standards? He seems to be really meticulous. And irascible. And a jerk.

            Hong Ki then turned himself fully on her guitar again and started plucking its strings again. She once again heard the intro of the song. Then, on Hong Ki’s cue, she started to sing the line of the song.

            “This time… This place…” She felt really nervous singing in front of him that she felt her voice wouldn’t come out but it did eventually, though it sounded somehow off. It is her first time singing in front of someone.

            “Misused… Mistake… Too long… Too late… Who was I to make you wait?” she continued singing. “Just one chance, just one breath… Just in case there’s just one left… ‘Coz you know… you know… you know…”

            Hong Ki stared at her as he is gently playing the guitar as if he was somehow encouraging her with her singing. And as she continues to sing, she slowly feels a little at ease. She then feels comfortably singing in front of him and enjoying this moment.

            “I love you… I love you all along…”

            A smile then curved her lips. She was like dragged into the beauty and magic of their music together that she felt really happy. It’s the first time she felt free singing. Singing and just singing freely! And it was just too great and overwhelming for her. Hong Ki on the other hand, also seemed to be mindful of his business with the guitar. He shared his passion to her. And she saw him once again in a different light. The light that makes her want to think that he’s not just one irascible jerk full of himself. He’s more to that. He’s more to the music he makes.  And she was glad seeing him this way—sharing the same passion together, as if they understand each other just by their own melodies.

            “And I miss you for far away for far too long… I keep dreaming you’ll be with me and you’ll never go…. Stop breathing if I don’t see you anymore~”

            Hong Ki then plucked the next chords to the guitar. And on his cue again, she sing the next stanza of the song, now more confident than the way she started before.

            “On my knees, I’ll ask last chance for one last dance…

            ‘Coz with you, I’d withstand all of hell to hold your hand…

            I’d give it all; I’d give for us; give everything but I won’t give up…

            ‘Coz you know… you know… you know~~

            I love you… I have loved you all along…

            And I forgive you for being away for far too long…

            So keep breathing ‘coz I’m not leaving you anymore…

            Believe it… Hold onto me never let me go~~”

            With the final strum on the guitar, their little jam ended. And it ended with a smile on her lips as she felt satisfied with her little performance.

            “That feels good!” she happily remarked, clasping her hands like a delighted kid.

            Hong Ki just stared at her. His eyes suddenly lost emotions again and returned into being cold and distant once more. Then, he handed her the guitar.

            “Eh?” she uttered, confused on what he wants her to do with the guitar.

            “Do you know anything about guitar?” he asked.

            She shook her head sadly. “No. I know nothing at all, even a single chord.”

            Hong Ki then sighed as he shook his head a little. “Then why do you want to learn this instrument? You know what? If you really want to learn how to play guitar, you should’ve engaged yourself to it a long time before.”

          “I know,” she uttered in a low tone. “It’s just that I was not permitted before. But… but it’s never too late, right? At least, now I’m doing something so that I can achieve what I really wanted ever since. And I’m thankful that I was given an opportunity like this,” she managed to smile while saying that even though there are many emotions covering her right now. There is sadness, regrets; but she felt hope deep inside her heart. There is acceptance and contentment in her. Enjoyment and sole enjoyment is what she wants to live for now.

            “Aish,” Hong Ki grunted, rolling his eyes. Then, she felt his hands on her shoulders, urging her to sit on the chair. “Stop the drama now, miss.”

            “Shin Hye. My name is Park Shin Hye,” she told him.

            Hong Ki just raised his shoulders, not minding her. He grabbed his guitar on the side and sat on the chair in front of her. In this position, she had a better view of him.

            She traced Hong Ki with her eyes. He doesn’t look bad at all even if he doesn’t smile genuinely and wholeheartedly. His eyes are expressive that even if he fills it with so much coldness, she can still see through him. And she wonders how his eyes would spark if he tries to smile sometime. He has thin red lips which seem to suit smiling rather than frowning. He has milky white and fair skin, as white as the snow that falls from the sky. He really looks like an angel—a sad angel indeed. And the more she looks at this man, she feels like she wanted to know more about him, and cast the loneliness away from him. He seems like a man who needs to be understood. A lost soul with a broken spirit, blinded eyes, muted lips who needs to be healed.

            “Ya!”

            She blinked her eyes twice when she heard Hong Ki’s voice that dragged her into reality again. He stared at her with irritation, like she was someone who’s hopeless.

            “Yeah? Were you saying something?” she asked.

            “I was already instructing here and yet you seemed so preoccupied. Are you sure you really want to learn or what?”

            She bit her lower lip and scratched her head. She didn’t know she’ll be so preoccupied just by staring at him.

            “Bya ne… I promise I won’t do it again.”

            “Do you think your sorry will do anything?” he asked, staring at her sharply. “Please take into your mind that I hate troublesome people, and you seemed like one.” she eyed him sharply upon hearing his fearless statement. He is indeed harsh and straight-forward. He didn’t even think of what someone will feel for his ruthless words. But before she could even react, he had already blocked her with his words.

            “So for everything to work smoothly, I have three rules that you must abide. First, you must focus. When I’m teaching you, I need your full attention to what I am instructing so that you’ll learn fast. Second, I don’t like talkative people so shut up when you don’t have anything to say regarding our lessons. Third, I don’t want you to nag me. Let me do everything on my own way. You got it?”

            She sighed. “Arachi! I got it Jerk.”

            Hong Ki eyed her sharply upon hearing how she addressed him. But he has to have his own dose of his rudeness so she just smiled at him sweetly, irritating him more.

            “Game?” she asked him as she gripped her guitar closer to her, readying herself to the official lesson.

            Hong Ki did the same as well. He accustomed the guitar and positioned his fingers on the strings.

            “Oh?” her eyes widened with curiosity when she saw a glimpse of a woman in the door of the rehearsal studio. The middle-aged lady, who looks sophisticated, is eyeing Hong Ki whose back is turned to the lady for he is facing her.

            “What again?” Hong Ki blurted in an annoyed tone as he stares to her, noticing the sudden pause to her that disturbed their lesson once more.

            “Hong Ki,” she uttered as she gave him a glance before she returned her eyes to the lady, pointing it to Hong Ki. And as if learning what her signal means, Hong Ki traced where her eyes are into, slowly turning to face the middle-aged lady.

            She saw Hong Ki’s face flustered with shock when he saw the face of the woman. But then, it suddenly turned to being cold again after a while. But to her surprise, his emotions are much colder and stiffer now as it used to be before.

            The middle-aged ahjumma managed to smile at Hong Ki, even with uneasiness. She then walked towards the stiff Hong Ki. Then, her lady’s eyes turned to her, and back to Hong Ki once more.

            “It’s been a while since I was back from Paris, but there was no track of you. That’s why I decided to drop by,” the woman started the conversation.

            “I’m busy,” Hong Ki simply retorted.

            The woman smiled knowingly. It’s as if she’s greatly brief with how rude this guy can be.

            “Aren’t you going to introduce me to this young and beautiful lady here, Hong Ki-ya?” she asked, referring to her.

            “There’s no need,” he firmly answered.

            With Hong Ki’s response, the lady just turned herself to her and smiled. She awkwardly responded with a smile to the middle-aged yet beautiful lady who just emerged.

            “I’m Bae Sonia, Hong Ki’s mother.”

            With what the woman named Sonia had said, she felt a little startled and shocked. She then bowed herself to give respect to the elder lady who happened to be Hong Ki’s mom. But what’s confusing her more is the way Hong Ki is treating his mom.

            She’s about to introduced herself when Hong Ki suddenly talked.

            “What are you doing here?” he asked, cold.

            “Can't I see my son now?” His mom retorted with a smile. “I, your dongsaeng and even your uncle Hans miss you a lot. We all want to spend time with you.”

            “I already told you I’m busy.”

            “Busy on what? On your musical life? Performing every night, creating music for the entertainment of people, struggling almost every day, keeping this studio of yours?” Mrs. Bae asked. “Hong Ki, you know you don’t have to do this. Just go home and let go of this studio. Let go of your band and start living your life seriously,” she said in a pleading voice rather than a sermon.

            Watching the two, Shin Hye felt a tension building in the air. And she felt awkward to be in that situation.

            “And since when did you start caring about how my life goes?” Hong Ki said sarcastically.

            “Of course I care. You are my son!”

            “Son? You call me your son?!” Hong Ki’s voice already rose. She can sense anger in it. “Don’t pretend that you care about me. Just go home and take care of your husband and daughter!” Hong Ki glared at his mom with his furious eyes. She never thought that his cold eyes can be as hot and fiery as it looks now.

            “Hong Ki!” Mrs. Bae called out when Hong Ki walked passed by his mother. “I’m not done talking to you yet! Please stop now… Jebal…”

            “There’s nothing else we should talk about,” he answered in a lower yet still furious tone. He stopped walking away, but his back is turned to his mother. “And please tell your husband that I’m going to pay for this rehearsal studio. He doesn’t have to interfere. I can live my life and stand on my own two feet. You don’t have to pity me.”

            With that, Hong Ki went away, creating a loud slam on the door. And she was left with his mom who seemed to be crying out in no time. And she was left with no idea what to do, on how to handle the situation.

            “Ah… ah… bya ne… Jeongmal bya ne for how he reacted,” she said while bowing her head. “I know I’m not in the right position to say this but I’m really sorry.”

            Mrs. Bae smiled at her genuinely amidst the tears that are already forming in the side of her eyes.

            “Are you his girlfriend? Please take good care of my son. Have patience. He’s somehow a lost kid but he’s soft and vulnerable deep inside,” she informed her.

           She smiled awkwardly as a response. “Thanks for telling me those, ma’am but I think you got the wrong idea. I’m not his girlfriend. I don’t even know if we can be called as friends. But right now, I think I need to catch up on him. He seemed to be really in a bad state. Maybe he needs someone to talk to so if you’ll excuse me…”

            Mrs. Bae nodded in agreement. “Go. Thank you…”

            With that, she hurriedly went out the door. Her eyes automatically searched for Hong Ki as her feet hurriedly walked over the streets. Fortunately, Hong Ki has not travelled far away that she caught a glimpse of him. That very time, she felt she has to stand by him. She knew very well that he has a reason why he’s acting this way. Now, she feels that she somehow understands a part of him. In a way, they’re similar.

________________

Wow! Thank you for those who subscribed and commented! Thanks a lot! :)

I hope you all like the story and this chapter.

And I also hope that you'll continue supporting me and my story.

Let's spread HongShin love<3

And for those who are not yet subscribed, subscribe now... And comments are welcomed...

I do hope you have a great time reading.

Sorry for the long time I keep you waiting for my updates.

I promise, I'll try to update sooner. It's just that I'm kind of busy and preoccupied.

Thank you... <3