Chapter 22

Winter's Melody: Broken Strings

Chapter 22

It’s You

 

SHIN HYE inhaled, filling her lungs with the fresh air outside. The cool wind blew, as if it was gently wrapping its invisible arms to hug her and welcome her back.

Oh I missed you, too. Shin Hye stated at the back of her mind, talking to the wind. But she also mentally laughed at herself, feeling how it was funny that she was talking to the wind at the back of her mind. But really, it was true. She really missed the cold yet gentle hands of the wind outside. She missed the hard cemented roads where her feet were freely walking unto right now. She missed seeing the beauty of the typical city—its huge buildings, big buses, fast vehicles, and busy people walking along the streets. She missed the sun’s warm embrace. The day was so typical, and yet, for Shin Hye, it was so special. She felt liberty. Being caged in that prison called hospital would really make a person appreciate the normality of everyday living.

            “Are you really sure you want to stay here?” Her father asked. She turned up to him. She was now sitting at the bench in the bus stop while her father was standing, holding his luggage at the other side.

            She smiled at him. “Appa, I thought we’ve already settled this issue?”

            Her father exhaled. “You know that I just want to see if you’re okay. And I can't assure that if you’re far from me.”

            “I’m fine, Dad. And I will be doing fine for the rest of the days. Don’t worry about me,” she convinced.

            “You know that you can't say that. I can't stop worrying for my daughter.”

            “Aigoo, you’re thinking a lot. I’ll be fine. I’ll call you every day, I promise. And if something happens, you’ll know immediately,” she said, raising her hands up in the air for a pledge.

            “You know that I can always stay with you. If you don’t want to go back to the province, I can stay with you here,” her dad continued.

            “I know that, Dad, but you also know that I don’t want you to stop living your life. I know that you’re life is in Busan, not here in Seoul.”

            Her Dad sighed, feeling defeated. “I guess you’ve inherited your mom’s stubbornness.”

            She smiled triumphantly. “No uh. I guess stubbornness is in your genes, though.”

            Her dad chuckled. She couldn’t help but to hug her older man.

            “I love you, Dad.”

            “I love you, too, my princess. Take care of yourself,” he whispered, planting small kisses in her hair. “And that guy… just go to him. If he ever does something crazy that would make you cry, I’ll take the first ride from Busan to Seoul just to kick him.”

            She laughed softly. “Do you think he’ll accept me after pushing him away a lot of times?”

            “He’s stupid if he won’t do that,” he said with an encouraging smile. She smiled at him, too.

            “Thank you Dad, for letting me do the things I wanted to do. Thank you for letting me do this.”

~~~

“What?” Hong Ki almost yelled in disbelief when the guards of the bar where they always conduct their performance didn’t let him in. “What did you just say?”

            The guard held his position. “I’m sorry sir, but you’re not allowed to go into the backstage. You’re not scheduled to play today.”

            “What?! That’s crazy!” he yelled, feeling pissed. “You know very well our band’s schedules here. How can this be happening?”

            “But sir, we have some other performer today. We are really sorry,” the other guard said.

            “Who’s that performer?” he asked in knotted forehead. “And why didn’t you inform us first?”

            Hong Ki was feeling annoyed already. He couldn’t believe what was happening. It was very inconvenient for him that he prepared to play tonight, but later he would found out that their usual performance was cancelled. What’s worse was that he wasn’t informed at all. He looked like a fool. All his efforts were put in vain. And what’s even worst was that the guards couldn’t seem to give him a fair reason that would explain this occurrence. He felt he was treated unfairly.

            The lights started to dim, signifying that the performance would soon start. Hong Ki couldn’t believe he wasn’t upstage at this moment. This was the first time this thing happened to him.

            The sound of the guitar soon took place. It was a familiar and memorable melody for Hong Ki. It was a melody he once shared with Shin Hye. And as if it was automatic, he turned his head to the stage, the familiar music calling him. But he found no one upstage.

            This time, this place

            Misused, mistakes…

            Too long, too late,

            Who was I to make you wait?

            His brows furrowed. He felt the loud beating of his heart inside his chest despite the loud yet soulful melody he was hearing. Did he hear it right? Was this all true? Because it seemed like he was hearing Shin Hye’s beautiful singing voice. But where is she? Why was there no trace of anyone on the stage?

            Just one chance, just one breath,

            Just in case there’s just one left,

            ‘Coz you know, you know, you know…

            His heart beat became erratic. Hope sprang from the depths of his heart. He could feel the rushing flow of blood on his veins. He was hopeful, he was excited; he was mystified and confused. He felt afraid to move a little, fearing that this was just a dream. He felt afraid to move an inch closer, feeling that he might ruin his own dream if this was just a dream. He was scared to walk and find her, because he was afraid to find out that he was only fooling himself because of so much yearning for her. He was afraid to know that she wasn’t really here; that she wouldn’t be here for him.

            That I love you.

            I loved you all along.

            And I miss you,         

            Been far away for far too long…

            But the music was calling him. Her voice was captivating him. It was encouraging him to move and find her. And his heart, it was telling him that it was her. It was Shin Hye. And the song, it was theirs.

            His body moved as if it had its own life. His eyed roamed around every corner of the bar. Though the light was a little bit dark and mellow, he was desperate to look for her.

            I keep dreaming,

            You’ll be with me,

            And you’ll never go.

            Stop breathing

            If I don’t see you anymore~~

            “S-Shin Hye…” he called her name. He badly wanted to see her. It was as if he was casted into a deep spell, and the only way to be out of it was to see Shin Hye. He really wanted to see her, to hold her, to hug her. He wanted to end all his misery and just be with her. It was as if he was out of air if he wouldn’t see her tonight.

            “Shin Hye!” he called her louder. His steps became huger. He moved faster. “Shin Hye!”

            On my knees, I’ll ask

            Last chance for one last dance

            ‘Coz with you, I’d withstand

            All of hell to hold your hand

            I’d give it all, I’d give for us

            Give anything, but I won’t give up

            ‘Coz you know, you know, you know…

            “Shin Hye!” he called out, trying to crawl up in the stage. Everyone was staring at him strangely. But he didn’t care. He just wanted to see her. “Shin Hye, where are you?”

            “Hong Ki, what are you doing?” Suddenly, out of nowhere, Jong Hoon emerged and held him at his arm to stop him.

            He looked at Jong Hoon with a sharp stare. “I wanted to see her,” he said firmly.

            Jong Hoon’s brows furrowed. “You wanted to see who? You’re ruining her performance.”

            “Shin Hye! It’s Shin Hye who’s singing, right? I have to see her, Jong Hoon!”

            Jong Hoon stared at him for a second, his expression blank. Then, he sighed and turned his gaze at the stage. “I’m sorry to disappoint you, but you’re wrong.”

            That I love you.

            I loved you all along.

            And I miss you,         

            Been far away for far too long…

I keep dreaming,

            You’ll be with me,

            And you’ll never go.

            Stop breathing

            If I don’t see you anymore~~

            And then, he heard the voice clearly. When he looked at the stage, all his hope crumbled as he saw Suzy advancing in the middle of the stage, the spotlight shining on her.

            He felt crazy. Was he really drifting away from his sanity for mistakenly distinguishing his own sister’s voice as Shin Hye’s? What was happening to him? He felt too drained to even comprehend what was happening.

            The music suddenly disappeared. And when Hong Ki realized it, he saw Suzy looking at him intently.

            “Oppa,” she called out using her microphone. “I’m sorry.”

            His brows became more furrowed. He couldn’t fathom anything now.

            “I’m sorry if I’m here today at this stage you’re used to singing onto,” Suzy said. Then, her lips curved into a small smile. “I just want to make you happy today.”

            Suzy pointed into something. Then, the spotlight slowly travelled toward the spot Suzy was pointing. And as if it was automatic, he turned to where she wanted him to look. The ray of light was directing him to the second storey of the club. And there, a familiar silhouette of a girl was seen. She was holding a guitar while standing in front of a microphone stand.

            “To be honest, I only sang a few lines oppa. I wasn’t the one who started the song,” Suzy continued. “It was her.”

            And as if that was a cue, the song resumed again as the girl upstairs skillfully plucked the chords on her guitar.

            ‘Coz you know, you know, you know…

            That I love you, I have loved you all along

            And I miss you, been far away for far too long,

            So keep breathing, ‘coz I’m not leaving you anymore

            Believe it, hold on to me,

            Never let me go

            A tear suddenly fell from Hong Ki’s eyes. Standing there, strumming the guitar and singing her heart out, was the girl he loved.

            “Park Shin Hye.”

            He felt a fire inside his heart, a fire that sent him running toward the second floor to make sure what he was seeing was right. That Park Shin Hye was here.

            “Shin Hye,” he whispered as she stared into her pretty face. Tears were now starting to stream down his face. He wanted to come to her and crush her into a tight hug, but he was held back by his fear that this was only his illusion.

            “A-are you… real?”

            Shin Hye bit her lower lip as tears were slowly invading her eyes. She slowly nodded her head as a small smile curved her lips. “I am real, Hong Ki. I am here for you.”

            Slowly, Hong Ki travelled their distance. He lifted his trembling hands, and touched her face. When he felt his fingertips touched her skin, he closed his eyes and let all the feelings linger. This was surreal, yet it was true.

            “Thank you for teaching me how to play the guitar,” she said that made him open his eyes. She was smiling at him. “Because of you, I was able to play in front of them all. Because of you I was able to sing. Because of you, I was able to conquer a world that only seemed to be a hazy dream to me before.”

            Shin Hye raised her hand and caressed his cheek. “And I’m here tonight to fulfill one of my dreams. My last wish. Do you what is it?”

            Slowly, Shin Hye moved, their distance drawing near. He felt her arms enveloped his body. And at the moment, he felt he was casted under the spell of her warm embrace that nothing in the world seemed to matter to him anymore but her.

            “It’s you. To be with you until I’m breathing is my last wish,” she whispered. “Would you like to make that dream come true, Hongstar?”

            He slowly freed himself from her hug so he could see her face and her transparent eyes. Then, he cupped her face and smiled at her, wanting her to feel how happy he was as of the moment. Just staring at those orbs, at her cute perfect nose, at her reddish lips was already making him content.

            “I’d love to,” he said as he drew himself closer to seal their promise with a kiss.

#