Chapter 15

Winter's Melody: Broken Strings

Chapter 15

The Only Exception

 

            Her eyes roamed around the whole vicinity, scanning every people surrounding the stage escalated in the middle. Each one of them has this anticipation written on their faces. Some even brought banners with them.

            From the curtains where she’s hiding herself, she saw how the spotlight shone on stage. And slowly, a beautiful girl emerged at the center, carrying a microphone. She smiled when Kim Taeyon, her best friend, finally began to sing her song. Her best friend really has that beautiful and powerful voice of an angel. Taeyon’s eyes roamed around in search for her. And when Taeyon finally saw where she is, Taeyon smiled at her, as if telling her that the song’s dedicated for her.

            It’s Taeyon’s dream to set her feet on stage and sing in front of everyone. It has always been her dream. It was both their dream. But now, Taeyon has already started her journey in achieving her dreams while she was left still on her place, not being able to do anything at all to get what she has always wanted even before. Now, seeing Taeyon already soaring up high, tears started streaming down her face. Both because of happiness and sadness. Happiness because the fulfillment of her best friend’s dream was also the fulfillment of her own dreams, but sadness because she knows that she’ll forever just be here behind the curtains watching Taeyon sing.

            If only she has the courage… Not only the courage to face everyone but the guts to disobey her father.

            “Thank you Miss Kim Taeyon for that wonderful song. Now, for the next contestant, let us call on stage, Miss Shine,” the master of ceremony announced. The mob cheered happily, but still, no one showed on stage.

            She saw Taeyon running towards her. She was surprised when she put a black glittery mask that covers only half of her face, exposing only her lips.

            “What are you doing?” she asked in wonder.

            “They are calling you in the stage now. Go,” Taeyon told her. And her eyes grew really wide, horrified with her friend’s statement. She can feel her heart throbbing in her chest faster than ever.

            “W- what? What do you mean?” she can feel fear and nervousness summon her whole. She feels confused.

           “Don’t worry, they won’t find out it’s you. I changed your name. Tonight, you are SHINE and you must shine. Grab your opportunity now. It’s now or never,” Taeyon encouraged her.

            “But—“

            “No buts!” she cut her off. “Go and sing your heart out. I know you can do this. Don’t make your audience wait.”

            Taeyon pushed her to the direction of the stage. She can feel her knees trembling, and she’s dragging her feet real hard.

            “Miss Shine? Contestant number 7?” the MC announced.

            “I-I’m here,” she softly whispered. The MC looked at her then led her to the center stage. He gave the microphone and the spotlight shone on her. Her eyes scanned each and every one watching her right now. She has become pallid already. Her hands are sweating and the beating of her heart became uncontrollable.

            This is what she wanted ever since. This is her dream…

            Yet, she felt her stomach turned upside down when she saw someone really familiar in amidst all the people watching. She felt fear summoned her totality. She became more pallid, if that’s even possible.

            “A-appa…”

***

            Shin Hye blinked her eyes repeatedly. She tried to get those past thoughts out of her mind. She doesn’t have to reminisce. What she needs right now is concentration. And more to that, no one’s gonna stop her now. If that time, she wasn’t able to do what she has to do because of her fears; now, there’s no reason to hold back. Nothing’s going to be a hindrance now.

            Her eyes roamed around the whole bar. In the next seconds, she will now be performing in the stage together with FT Island. The thought of singing makes her the feel happy and contented. The thought of singing in front everyone makes her feel happier and eager. This has been her dream. And tonight seems to be the fulfillment of her dreams. Yet, that thought also makes her heart throb violently inside her chest. The rhythm of nervousness played through her pulses. Can she do it? Can she really do it?

            She inhaled and exhaled deeply for many times, trying to gather herself in one complete and determined string. This is it. It’s now or never.

            “Are you nervous?” she heard that familiar voice at her back. But before she could turn to look at him, she found his hand already enveloped with her tiny calloused hand.

            Slowly, she raised her head to look at him only to be dumfounded. She felt lost in his eyes. Those burning eyes….

            “You’ll be fine,” Hong Ki said with an illuminating smile. With that alone, she has felt his warmth towards her. No longer was he the frigid guy she used to know.

            She felt him playing with her hand before he squeezed it gently. Then, he smiled at her again. Now, even his eyes are shiningly smiling.

            “Just have fun and savor the moment. Let your heart feel the message of the song, and let your voice convey it to the audience,” he said in a comforting tone. “And remember that I’ll just be right here with you. We’ll be with you all throughout.”

            Her heart throbbed rhythmically inside her chest. It went faster and louder. But it was no longer because of nervousness. It’s because of this guy in front of her, making her feel at ease.

            She smiled at him. She’s really happy. She’s really happy that he can now show off what he really feels. She’s happy that she’ll be singing any moment now. And she’s happy she’ll be singing with Lee Hong Ki.

            “You guys now ready?” Jong Hoon asked. He’s carrying his guitar at his back.

            “Yeah… I guess so,” she exclaimed.

            “Shin Hye noona fighting! FT Island fighting!” Min Hwan cheered. They all chuckled at his childishly cute ways. He really knows how to make people feel good.

            “AND NOW, LET’S ALL WELCOME, FT ISLAND!!!!” the DJ of the bar yelled and everyone cheered.

            Slowly, Shin Hye stepped her feet into the stage. And the blindingly spotlight shone on her. This is it… The time she has been long waiting for.

            ‘Appa, I’m now fulfilling my dreams. Umma, watch me from heaven.’

            She looked at Hong Ki who’s just right beside her. He’s holding his microphone. In just a blink of an eye, he changed into that passionate musician. She can't help but to smile at that thought.

            Her eyes shifted to the audience who are all curious of her presence in that center stage. In a nearer seat, she saw Suzy smiling widely at her, cheering her up.

            “Go Shin Hye unnie! Go Hong Ki oppa! Go Jae Jinnie~ Go FT Island!” Suzy cheered loudly.

            Hong Ki smiled at his sister’s silliness. Then, he stared at her and gave her his most dazzling smile.

            And in the tap of Min Hwan’s drumsticks, the music roared and the song of her dreams played.

___

 

            “That girl sings awesome.”

            “Yeah, I wasn’t expecting her to match Hong Ki’s great skills. But she’s really good.”

            “Her voice is an angelic. And her emotions matched the song really well.”

            “Unnie!!!” Suzy smiled widely before she almost jumped at Shin Hye to give her a hug. “Unnie, did you hear that? Did you hear everything they say? Everything I heard was good comments. I’m so happy for you!”

            Shin Hye smiled happily at Suzy. She can't hide the joy beaming in her eyes.

           “Me, too, Suzy. I’m very happy… Very… very happy. Singing in front of everyone was as if a vitamin for me. It made me feel stronger,” she said.

            “Ah, unnie~” Suzy hugged her again. “I wish this could really make you stronger…”

            She bit her lower lip as she can feel tears slowly invading her eyes. She tried hard not to shed a tear, but the people’s response towards their performance brought her uncontainable happiness she can't help but to actually cry.

            “Aigoo, unnie… Why are you crying?” Suzy asked her worriedly. She even wiped her tears for her.

            Shin Hye chuckled softly. “I am just very happy… This is euphoria that I’m feeling. One of my greatest dreams came to life.”

            “And each one of your dreams will all come true. I’m sure about that, unnie,” Suzy said with such determination in her eyes. Shin Hye just smiled at her younger friend since she knows why Suzy’s that determined. Even she, herself, badly wants to make everything she desires happen. She badly wants to complete her ‘to-do list’.

            Everyone was surprised when the lights suddenly turned off once again. The loud music banging the stereo automatically stopped. But they were more surprised when the spotlight illuminated the stage, and there, emerged two handsome guys holding their guitars.

            “Oppa?” Suzy mumbled with a knotted forehead when they saw Hong Ki and Jong Hoon up in the stage. Whispers from everywhere started to erupt, for everyone thought the performances of the band was already finished. Even Shin Hye is in confusion. She looked at the other FT Island boys who are comfortably sitting with them in the table they occupied near the stage. They have this unexplained smiles carved on their lips.

            “Hey, what’s going on?” Suzy lightly poked Jae Jin in the arm. “What are they doing there?”

            “Sing, probably?” Jae Jin answered that made Suzy pierce him with her sharp stare.

            “Ya, do you want to die, Lee Jae Jin?”

            “Hehe. No,” Jae Jin awkwardly smiled, raising his hand with a peace sign. “I’m just kidding, baby.”

            “Baby?” Suzy yelled, showing her balled fist to Jae Jin. “Now, you really want to die?!”

            Shin Hye just smiled contentedly at her seat, watching the couple. They really look cute and perfect for her. But in a snap, her attention was caught when the two handsome guys started to do their act in front. Even the fighting Jae Jin and Suzy stopped and watch the vocalist and the leader perform in the stage.

            Jong Hoon started the melody, pulling the right chords perfectly with his skilled hands. Then, Hong Ki grabbed the mic and started to speak.

            “I know you guys are wondering why we are here, but this is a very special performance I want all of you to witness. This is something I don’t usually do. Actually, this is the very first time I’m pulling this act. But I dedicate this song to that person who melted all the ice walls that covered my heart. Please hear the melody of my heart.”

            The crowd cheered. What Hong Ki said was really melting. To whomever he dedicates his song, that someone must really be that special. Shin Hye felt the loud beating of her heart inside her chest as Hong Ki’s soulful eyes burned her. It’s as if her heart beats are much louder than the yelling mob.

            “When I was younger I saw my daddy cry

            And curse at the wind~

            He broke his own heart

            And I watched as he try to reassemble it~

 

            And my mama swore that she would

            Never let herself forget,

            And that was the day that I promised

            I’ll never sing of love if it does not exist…

 

            But darling you are the only exception~

 

            You are the only exception~

            You are the only exception~

            You are the only exception~

            You are the only exception~”

 

She can feel her knees weaken as she hears how Hong Ki’s singing the song. He’s so passionate. Every lyric he sings makes her want to believe that he means every word. His burning eyes are staring directly at her, as if it’s talking to her, telling her the words he cannot just express. It’s as if he’s telling his own life story with that song his singing, making her feel that she is the only exception he is reiterating in the song.

            “Maybe I know somewhere

            Deep in my soul that love never last,

            And we’ve got to find other ways

            To make it alone or keep a straight face…

 

            And I’ve always lived like this,

            Keeping it a comfortable distance~

            And up until now I have sworn to myself

            That I’m contented with loneliness

 

            Because none of it was ever worth the risk!”

 

            She felt she wanted to cry. She can feel mixed emotion overwhelming her system. There’s this part of her that makes her want to believe that he’s dedicating the song to her. And she couldn’t deny that there’s this uncontainable anticipation growing on her system. There’s this happiness also growing in her heart, for she’s glad Hong Ki has really opened up himself. He’s now letting everyone see through him, and feel what he feels.

But more to that, there’s this bigger percentage of fear in her whole system. Fear that eats her happiness and anticipation, for she knows she can't succumb to the whispers of her heart. Though how much she wanted to, even when Hong Ki feels the same, she knows she doesn’t have the right to do so. Because she doesn’t want to hurt him. She doesn’t want to take the happiness away from him, especially when he’s just starting to cultivate his own joy.

            She bit her lower lip when as a tear is trying to escape her eyes.

            ‘I’m sorry, Hong Ki.’

            Slowly, she stood up of her chair and walked her way out of the bar.

*********

Hey hey guys! I’m back with an update. Did you like it? I certainly hope so~… :)

I would like to thank everyone who read this chapter and waited sooo long for this update. I’m really really grateful to all of you dear readers. Thanks to those who commented and appreciated the chapter last time. To those who didn’t comment, I hope to hear from you. XD

Everyone, what do you think about this chapter? Comments, votes, and subscriptions are very much welcome. I need those to keep me inspired and to improve myself more~ So, what can you say about Shin Hye’s reminiscence? About the fulfillment of one of her dreams? About Hong Ki’s song? And Shin Hye’s mixed feelings? Tell me, please:)

Thank you. Keep supporting Park Shin Hye and Lee Hong Ki.

HongShin couple fighting!