Chapter 14

Winter's Melody: Broken Strings

Chapter 14

Perfect Melody

 

‘Let me hold you, for the last time…

It’s the last chance to feel again…

When you broke me,

Now, I can't feel anything…’

            Hong Ki strummed his guitar as his beautiful singing voice blended well into his music. His eyes are closed, showing how he means and feels every lyric of his song. Shin Hye also closed her eyes as she taps into her own guitar, blending her melody with his. And it felt like once again they were encapsulated in a world of music and lyrics that only the two of them understand.

            ‘When I love you and so untrue…

            I can't even convince myself…

            When I’m speaking,

            It’s the voice of someone else…’

            Shin Hye started to sing the next verse as she continuously plays her guitar. Her voice manifests how she gives justice to every lyric of the song.

            ‘Oh, it tears me up…

            I tried to hold on

            But it hurts too much…

            I tried to forgive

            But it’s not enough

            To make it all okay…’

            Their voice blended together, just like how the birds’ chirps unified with the blowing wind. It was a perfect harmony, a perfect match.

            ‘You can't play on broken strings…

            You can't feel anything…

            That your heart don’t want to feel.

            I can't tell you something that ain’t real…

            Oh the truth hurts; lies worst.

            How can I give anymore?

            When I love you a little less than before…

            Let me hold you, for the last time…

            It’s the last chance to feel again…’

            With eyes closed, Shin Hye’s fingers laid still on her guitar as she strummed the last chords of their song. But then she was suddenly startled when she heard a round of applause and cheers she didn’t really expect. Slowly, she opened her eyes and she saw the other four member of FT Island standing before the door of Hong Ki’s rehearsal studio, grinning from ear to ear. She blinked her eyes repeatedly, but the guys didn’t disappear from their positions.

            “That was wonderful!” Seung Hyun said, smiling as if he’s so proud of her.

            “I totally agree. I can say nothing more,” Min Hwan added, even raising his hand up in the air.

            “Tss,” Hong Ki just hissed, still irascible as he is. “What are you guys doing here?” he asked, raising an eyebrow, totally ignoring the guys’ praises.

            “Tsk. Tsk. How can you forget that we have a rehearsal today?” Jae Jin asked, shaking his head from side to side. Then, a teasing smile carved his lips. “Aigoo… just because Shin Hye is here...”

            “Shut up!” Hong Ki yelled and the boys just smirked knowingly.

            “Ahh, Hong Ki didn’t tell you’ll have a practice today so I went here for our usual guitar lessons,” she finally intervened. “But I guess we’re done now. You guys can continue with your business now.” Then she started to gather her things and readied herself to leave. After all, she and Hong Ki have already spent enough time with their lessons.

            “You can stay Shin Hye,” Jong Hoon said, and that stopped her from packing her things. Slowly, she gazed at him with wondering eyes.

            “No, it’s okay. I don’t want to disturb you guys,” she declined his offer.

            “C’mon, you won’t be disturbing us. In fact, maybe you’ll learn more,” Jong Hoon still persisted. “You can play your guitar and sing along with us. And maybe you could help us polishing our music,” he smiled at her. Then, he stared at the guys at his back then to Hong Ki as if he’s asking for their permission. “What do you think? Isn't it a great idea?”

            “Hyung is right, Shin Hye,” Jae Jin seconded. “Stay so we’ll be more motivated. You know, we became more determined when we know that someone is watching and enjoying with us. Right, Hong Ki hyung?”

            She stared at Hong Ki when Jae Jin asked him. And she found herself anticipating for his answer.

            “Sure,” Hong Ki slowly nodded. “It’s not a problem to me.”

            “Yeah!” Min Hwan cheered happily as he threw his fist in the air. He really looks excited. “This would be fun noona!”

            A contented smile curved Shin Hye’s lips as she saw Min Hwan’s cute reaction. She can only shake her head as she put her guitar down and sat at a chair facing the guys.

            “Alright, so let’s start?” Jong Hoon asked. And the guys excitedly went on their places. The next thing she knew, the jamming session started.

 

            “I think something’s wrong,” Jong Hoon said when he stopped playing his guitar. There’s this uncertainty on his voice.

            “You think it’s in the guitar hyung?” Seung Hyun asked curiously as he strummed his guitar slowly.

            “No… No…” Jong Hoon slowly shook his head. He stopped for a while as if he’s thinking.

            “The music’s okay… but I also think something is missing…” Min Hwan agreed.

            Shin Hye just stared at the guys as they are discussing what’s wrong with the new arrangement of the song.

            “Hmm…” Jong Hoon breathed deeply as he put his finger to support his chin. He looked like he’s thinking really hard. Then he stared at Jae Jin for a couple of seconds before he shifted his gaze to Hong Ki. The two guys just stayed silent. They gave Jong Hoon the equivalent of his stare for they don’t know what’s going on their leader’s mind. But Shin Hye was far more surprised than anybody else when Jong Hoon stared also to her. It wasn’t just a simple stare but it was a look that contains something.

            “Uh? Why?” she asked, feeling awkward with the stares she’s been getting. Well, since the leader is looking at her for an unknown reason, the members are also looking at her now, wondering as well.

            “Can you come near for a second, Shin Hye?” Jong Hoon asked.

            Wanting to end her cluelessness, she just followed Jong Hoon’s instruction.

            “Why? What do you want?”

            She saw how Jong Hoon got some sheets of paper and handed it to her. When she looked at it, she recognized that it’s the musical sheet of what the band is trying to play. Still puzzled, Shin Hye looked at Jong Hoon, full of questions.

            “Can you sing it?” Jong Hoon asked her.

            “This?” she asked, even raising the papers for confirmation. She just can't believe what she’s hearing.

            “Yeah,” the lead guitarist nodded confidently. “I just want to hear your version of the song.”

            “You sure?” she asked, still doubting.

            “Ah huh,” Jong Hoon smiled knowingly. “I’ll play the piano for you.”

            “Go noona! Show hyung what you’ve got,” Min Hwan cheered and she can't help but to chuckle at his cuteness.

            She sighed, knowing that she can do nothing but to grant Jong Hoon’s mysterious request. Jong Hoon then went to the place of the piano and stood in front of it. He readied his fingers to play the piano keys. And with Jong Hoon’s command as he plays the piano, she began to sing the first line of the song.

            ‘Right from the start, you were a thief,

            You stole my heart…

            And I, your willing victim;

            I let you see the parts of me

           That weren’t all that pretty

           And with every touch you fixed them…’

            She tried to sing the song as best as she can, pouring out all the emotions it needed. She paused for a while at that part of the song that a pause is needed. Jong Hoon played the piano expertly, but before she began to sing the next lines, Jong Hoon pointed to Hong Ki.

            “Hong Ki, your turn,” he simply commanded. And though in wonder, Hong Ki just shrugged his shoulders and did what the leader asked him to do.

            ‘I’m sorry I don’t understand…

            Where all of this is coming from…

            I thought that we were fine…’

            Hong Ki continued with his singing and the other boys began to pick up their instruments and accompany Jong Hoon into playing the melody of the song. They felt that it was the most necessary thing to do instead of just watching.

            ‘Just give me a reason…

            Just a little bit enough…

            Just a second, we’re not broken just bent…

            And we can learn to love again…

            I never stopped,

            It’s still written in the scars on my heart…

            You’re not broken just bent,

And we can learn to love again…’

            Shin Hye found herself singing along with Hong Ki as they reached the chorus of the song. It was as if a reflex action. It felt like it’s a natural thing to do—to sing with him.

‘Just give me a reason…

Just a little bit enough…

Just a second, we’re not broken just bent…

And we can learn to love again…

It’s in the stars,

It’s been written in the scars on our heart…

We’re not broken just bent,

And we can learn to love again…’

 

‘Oh~ we can learn to love again…

            We’re not broken just bent,

            And we can learn to love again~’

 

            Shin Hye sang the last lines of the song; driven with so much emotion the song let her felt. She hasn’t even noticed that she has closed her eyes. The sound of the guitars and the drums ended soon. Jong Hoon continued tapping the last chords of the song, finally ending it beautifully. The piano sound matched the song more. By then, Shin Hye already opened her eyes and smiled contentedly. The depths of her soul were filled up. That’s how she loves singing. It makes her feel complete.

            “Woah~ that was,” Min Hwan was at loss of words when he put his drumsticks down. His surprised eyes lingered with Hong Ki then to Shin Hye. What he heard was just unbelievable. He knows how Hong Ki can put such emotions in every song that it may seem almost tangible, but he didn’t thought Shin Hye can match Hong Ki’s intensity. And it was definitely awesome. It was heavenly.

            “Noona… You sing perfect,” Seung Hyun said with the same amazement written in his eyes.

            Shin Hye gave him an uncomfortable smile as she scratched her head lightly. Her cheeks reddened a little, indicating that she felt shy.

            Jae Jin on the other hand remained silent. But a satisfied smile is plastered to his lips. He understands why Jong Hoon called for Shin Hye.

            “Awesome! Awesome! Definitely!” Jong Hoon chirped happily, clapping his hands. “That was perfect guys. Shin Hye and Hong Ki, you are perfect together. I knew it!”

            “W-what?” Shin Hye exclaimed, surprised with what Jong Hoon has just uttered.

            “Yeah, noona and hyung, you two are very compatible,” Seung Hyun seconded. And she can't help but to blush more, feeling uncomfortable with their compliments.

            “Aish. What are you guys sayin’?” Hong Ki asked loudly, as if he’s irritated or what.

            “You look like you’re constipated, hyung,” Jae Jin laughed at Hong Ki’s terrible and unexplainable facial reaction. It’s as if he’s shy or just irritated. But his face is as red as tomatoes. “What they meant was your voice and Shin Hye’s angelic voice is compatible with each other.”

            “Aish. Next time, clear your words, okay?” Hong Ki grumbled giving his band mates a death glare.

            “Nah~ Just next time, don’t put connotation in our words,” Jae Jin grinned at his hyung.

            Hong Ki eyed Jae Jin sharply. Then a playful smirk carved his thin lips.

            “Okay… I’ll tell Suzy, my dear sister, not to date you anymore,” he said in a threatening voice. Jae Jin grew pallid with what Hong Ki said. And with that threat, he can only scratch his head and hiss softly. Seeing that, Hong Ki smiled widely in exult.

            “Now, Jong Hoonie, what was that?” Hong Ki suddenly asked their leader. He has his brows furrowed as if he’s really wondering. “Why did you make Shin Hye and I sing that song?” 

            “Because I was looking for something that was missing when we first tried the song,” Jong Hoon answered yet it didn’t make any sense both to Hong Ki and Shin Hye. “That melody… those match made in heaven voices are what I was looking for!” Jong Hoon continued his speech.

            “Yes, and so?” Hong Ki asked, confused. But then, the brilliant leader just ignored his question. Instead, he stared at Shin Hye, who’s equally confused just as Hong Ki.

 “Shin Hye, I’ll be asking you a big favor again…”

            “Uh, what is that?” she asked, unsure.

            Jong Hoon stared at Shin Hye with pleading eyes.

            “Will you…” he paused for a while and stared at s before he brought his gaze back to her. “…perform with us in the stage?”

_______________

 

Dear beloved readers and subscribers,

I am very sorry for not updating for a very long long time… I’ve been busy with school stuffs and so I wasn’t able to give much time to this story. I felt like I don’t want to give you guys an update just for the sake of updating. What I want to give my readers is an update with emotions.

However, I don’t know if it that is manifested in this chapter. But I hope so. And though it seems like nothing much happened in this chapter, I’d like to tell you that it’s because this is a transition for one of Shin Hye’s dreams. Remember her list? Now, it’s the start that she’ll fulfill it all. And in the latter part of the story, the contents of her ‘to-do-list’ will soon be revealed.

For the meantime, I hope you guys enjoyed the update. Comment, Vote and Subscriptions are very much entertained, encouraged and appreciated. Also, I’d like to thank everyone who remained and stayed, those who voted and subscribed, and those who commented. I hope that you’ll continue supporting this story. I hope you’re still there, and will be there until the end. Anticipate for the next events.

Saranghae! ^__^