Chapter 1

Winter's Melody: Broken Strings

 

Chapter 1

First String

 

           Shin Hye carefully pushed the glass door of the recording bar so she could enter. And she swiftly pulled her travelling bag with her as she walked inside that record bar, along with all the people there. Her eyes then automatically searched for a particular album which is her sole purpose on coming inside this record store.

            She’s really dying to have a copy of Nickelback’s repackage album in which the best of their best songs are included in the track list. And she has to get one before she run out of the stocks as she had heard that the album is selling really well.

            Nickelback is one of the best foreign band, and the only band she really admires. She simply loves their music—the very reason why she wants an album. And it seems that with the way they are conveying their musical style, an aspirant singer like her would sure learn a lot, even just by listening to them.

            She badly wants to be a singer. Ever since she was a child, she already knew what she wants to be when she grew up. She remembered herself listening to beautiful melodies, captivating the rhythm and memorizing the tune in her head, then singing or humming the music when no one is watching. She also remembered herself during her school days when she would secretly watch the choir practicing and she would imagine herself as a part of it.

            But then, as a young child that time, she also knows in her mind that no matter how much her heart wanted to sing, she just can't pursue her dream. It’s because her father won’t let her so.

            She couldn’t understand why, but ever since she was a child, her father would never want to hear a single hum from her. Music is restricted in their house. She is prevented to associate with anything that links her into music. He would tell her that she has no talent and that music is a thing without relevance so she better put her time and effort to more fruitful things such as studying. That’s why she has mastered math and sciences, even languages, history and literature. As a student, she is really good, acquiring first honors all the time. But then, in her heart, she really wants to know and seek the world of music.

                About her mother, she doesn’t have that much idea about her. She died while giving birth to her. All she knows is that her mom was also an independent singer before she married her dad. And she finds it ironic though, that her mom was once a singer, but her dad is preventing her to become just like her mom.

            But that was all before. All the restrictions and hesitations she has and got are all part of her past. And no one can ever stop her now in pursuing what she’s really meant for. She has already accumulated too much of her time in doing experiments and solving mathematical equations. And she won’t let the little time remaining in her hands to vanish so easily without finding the real meaning of what she’s living for.

            Shin Hye’s eyes glistened when she saw the album she’s been looking for. A smiled plastered her lips as she consumed no time in grabbing the CD from the rack. But then, she was surprised when it isn't the CD she had held but a cold yet comfortable hand. And as if on cue, her head automatically turned to the owner of that hand.

            And it’s as if she saw a handsome angel bestowed right in front of her. The man was really that good looking and striking that she felt the world suddenly stopped from turning. His brown deep chinky eyes looked at her—cold.

            It was really cold. His eyes contain frigid and stiff emotions that it brought darkness in his pale brown eyes. But then, no matter how cold his eyes are, it still cannot hide from her the sadness it has buried down deep. And she felt disturbed with that sadness. She felt like it that gloominess didn’t suit his handsome face.

            “I’ll get this,” he said coldly as he took the CD away from her hand. Then, he walked away from her, but it was automatic that she held his arm to stop him.

            “I saw that first,” she said. “I should be the one to but that.”

            She tried to get the CD from the man’s grip but he raised his hand so she couldn’t reach it.

            “I got this first that’s why this is mine,” he said, still with no emotions.

            She sighed and gave the guy a sharp look but he didn’t back off. He’s surely a jerk who doesn’t have even a tinge of gentleness in him. But then, she also isn't the kind of girl who loses temper to a cold irritating jerk easily.

            “Araso,” she exclaimed. “Why are we fighting over that CD.? Let’s just ask another copy of that.”

            “E- Excuse me, ma’am,” the record store’s staff suddenly interrupted. “I’m sorry but that’s the last copy of that album we have in here.”

            “Huh?” her eyes widened with what she heard. That can't be—

            “I’ll get this,” she heard the guy casually stated. And she knew it! This jerk beside her wouldn’t act like a gentleman and just give the CD to her.

            Her head hung a little as she bit her lower lip. This guy wouldn’t back off, for sure. And things wouldn’t be resolved if no one between the two of them will give way.

            She then slowly lifted her head and managed to smile at the girl who attended to their needs.

            “I’ll just look for this on another record store. Just give the album to him,” she said to the crew.

            “Are you sure ma’am?”

            “Nae,”she cheerfully answered with a nod. And with that, the staff already went to the counter, leaving only the two of them now in that part of that record store.

            She smiled genuinely sweet at the guy, but he still looked cold and stiff.

            “Ya, aren’t I entitled for some ‘thank you’ here?” she asked with a pout on her lips. But the man is really irascible he just sharply glanced at her.

            But she has practiced patience really well she didn’t easily get annoyed with him. She still managed to smile at the first person she had encountered in Seoul today.

            “Annyeong,” she bowed down ninety degrees. “It was nice meeting you.” She waved her goodbye and walked away with the travelling bag she has in hand. But before she went out of the store’s vicinity, she secretly took her camera out and captured a picture of him.

________________________________________

 

            

            Shin Hye put the framed picture of her mom and dad holding a guitar in the table near her bed. That picture is the most precious thing for her though she just found it in the attic of their house in Busan. That is because that picture is the only picture of her mother that she has. And everytime she looks at it, it’s as if her mom is encouraging her to pursue her dream in the field of music.

            And now, she’s on her way.

            “Are you done arranging your things?” a pretty girl suddenly asked her.

            “Ah, yeah,” she nodded with a smile as she looked at the built in cabinet in that apartment she has rented where she had put her clothes and other stuffs.

            “That’s good. By the way,” the girl smiled to her while offering her right hand for a shake. And the girl looked prettier. “Im Bae Suzy.”

            She accepted her soft, small hand. “Park Shin Hye imnida. It’s nice meeting you, Suzy- ah. I hope we’ll get along really well.”

            “Of course!” Suzy said cheerfully and confidently. “We’ll be really close, unnie.”

            “Gomawoyo,” she said happily. At least now, she has someone to rely to when she really doesn’t know anyone here in Seoul.

            “Did the ahjumma tell you the house rules already?” Suzy asked her.

            She nodded as she recalled the things the lessor told her, “Yes. She already informed me about the house, when and how to pay the rent and what else to pay, what things I can bring, and the things I cannot.”

            “That’s good. I also have some food stocks in the fridge and in the racks. Feel free to get some, okay?” Suzy informed her. “I really want to chat more with you unnie, but I really have to go now. I still have classes in the university. So see you later, arachi?”

            “Uhm, I understand,” she nodded. “Take care Suzy- ah. Jalga!”

            And the room was filled with silence when Suzy went out. She has the room alone for herself. But she felt it was so peaceful and quiet that she needs something to do. Time is so precious for her that she must waste no time doing nothing so she grabbed her backpack and got her precious notebook inside it.

            “So let’s see what I else I could do for the day,” she said as she flipped the pages of her notebook. She read the notes she wrote in it. These notes are the things she must accomplish at the soonest possible time. She has to do things orderly so she could experience everything she wants to experience.

            “Apartment, check. Nickelback’s album…” she pouted when she remembered she hadn’t accomplished that task because of the mean guy she had encountered.

            “If not only for that guy…” she whispered to herself then she put an X mark to that note. It’s just sad that she wouldn’t be able to have that album she dreamed of. But then, with the way she’s living her life now, she has learned that there are times when one has to back down.

            “Aigoo, Shin Hye- ah. There’s still a lot of things to accomplish so don’t be upset,” she tried to lift her spirit up. Then, she scrolled to her notes once again. “Okay. Next thing to accomplish is… guitar.”

            And without second thoughts, she easily arranged her things and wore a thick winter jacket, and bonnet that would protect her from the coldness the winter weather has brought outside the streets. She’ll be having her first ever guitar today.

________________________________________

 

 

            Shin Hye has a smile on her lips as she walks along the streets of Seoul, holding her camera and capturing pictures during that cold winter day. On her back is the brand new guitar she had bought in an instrument shop nearby. And she is really happy that for the first time in her life, she has now a guitar she can really regard as hers. Though in reality, she doesn’t know how to play it, but learning how to would be easy now that she’s got one.

            It’s so soon to go back to the apartment. Besides, she doesn’t have anything to do there. That’s why she decided to wander around Seoul so she could familiarize herself to the city where she’ll be living now. It’s far from their house, from her father, from all the people she knew back when she was still a kid. But she has to deal with that as she’s starting her life now.

            Never in her life that she had felt so carefree until now. And she’s very happy that she let go of the fear she had kept within. When a person already found the real purpose of her life, that’s when she would really feel courageous to live her life as to what extent she could live it for. That’s what she had learned. And that’s how she’s living her life today.

             She was so busy taking pictures of the things, people and streets she has passed by. It was really cold outside but that didn’t stop the people from doing their daily activities. Seoul is indeed a busy city. Same as its people. And she was so carried away with what she was seeing that she walked and walked and enriched her eyes with the wonders of Seoul until she doesn’t know where she is anymore.

            She doesn’t know where else to go. She doesn’t even know her way back. And she’s really nuts for not getting any contact number of the very few people she knows here in Seoul. She doesn’t have Suzy’s contact number, or the ahjumma’s.

            With no idea running on her mind, she helplessly looked at her surroundings. She was afraid to ask people around. She’s still a stranger in this place; an alien who still doesn’t know how life runs here. But then, she was left with no choice. So she decided to approach the first person that would come her way when suddenly, she saw a very familiar figure walking towards her.

            Her eyes widened. The jerk from the record store is coming her way—walking with his ‘i-don’t-care-about-the-world’ attitude. He has on his ears his huge headphones, and on his back is a guitar he’s carrying.

            But that time, she felt he was some kind of a blessing. He’s the best option for her search for the one that could send her home, since she already knew him. Well, it’s not actually like she really knows him. She doesn’t even know his name, actually. But at least, she has had an encounter with him before.

            “Annyeong haseyo,” she bowed when the guy reached her place. And irascible as he is, the guy just looked at her with wonder for a while. And then, he kept going on without uttering anything, leaving her looking like a fool in the middle of the street.

            But she is persistent. She ran after the guy to follow him. And when she got the opportunity, she speed herself up to stop the man, making herself as a wall, with her arms spread across widely.

            Mr. ‘i-don’t-care’ just gave her a stern look as if he was saying she has to go out of his way. But she didn’t back down.

            “Ya, what do you want?” he said, quite irritated. He took his headphones from his head.

           “Annyeong,” she waved her hand and gave her sweetest smile to him. “My name’s Shin Hye. Park Shin Hye. We saw each other a while ago. Do you remember?”

            “I don’t. So now, will you let go out of my way?”

            “Huh? Ya—but that was just a while ago. In the record store, remember?” her hopes went down when he told her he doesn’t remember. How can he easily forget her?

            “I told you I don’t,” he repeated. “If you’re a fan, or a stalker, I’m telling you, this isn't a good plan to catch my attention.”

            “Fan?” she pointed out to herself with knotted forehead. Is this guy some kind of a big star he thought she was his fan?

            She looked strangely at the guy who’s now walking away. But no matter if he’s really a celebrity or not, she must still ask his help to bring her home, or at least tell her the directions. So she hurriedly followed him and grabbed his arm to stop him.

            The guy stared sharply at him. It seems like he’s not liking what she’s doing now.

            “Uhm—hey! Hello again,” she smiled sweetly once more. But the guy’s face didn’t look pleased at all. “I… ah… uhm… I just wanted to ask your help. I’m actually new here in Seoul and I’m kinda… you know… missing,” she bit her lower lip as she tries to please this unpredictable man.

            “And so?” he answered— flat! The guy really doesn’t have a consideration at all.

            “I am obviously trying to ask your help,” she answered with a forced smile on her face. This guy’s starting to get on her nerves. But she has to hold onto her patience a little longer.

            The guy looked at her sharply as if she was stating a very impossible thing. Then, he laughed really briefly and sarcastically.

            “Your technique’s too old fashioned, Miss. Next time, try to think of a more convincing one. I told you this won't catch my attention.”

            “But I’m not seeking for your attention. I’m not your fan. I told you I was the girl you encountered in the recording store,” she explained. “And I’m asking for your help here.”

            “And I already told you I don’t know you. And why should I help you?” The guy turned away from her again and started walking away.

            Wow! This guy’s attitude is really a nerve- cracking one!

            And she felt really helpless that the only person she knows doesn’t want to help her at all. She hopelessly looked at her surroundings once more. It’s getting darker and colder outside. And the coldness of the winter air is travelling on her body now.

            She looked at her bare hands that are freezing in the cold and scratch them together so she could heat them up even just a little. What a good timing for her to forget to bring her gloves! And if she would stay in here a little more, it will be bad for her condition.

            She looked straightly at the direction the jerk is taking. How can that guy take into his conscience to leave a poor girl freezing in the street? But no! He won’t leave her freezing here! He would help her whether he likes it or not!

            So with all the courage she got, she arranged the bonnet that covers her hair, and held tighter on the guitar on her back as she ran fast so she could approach Mr. Jerk once more. It doesn’t matter if he’ll be irritated to her, or whatever. She’ll do whatever it takes for him to help her.

           “Because you’re the only person I know here, that is why you should help me,” she yelled as she followed Mr. Jerk.

            The guy just gave her an impossible look as he kept on walking. And she just also followed him until they both entered a populous street. Next thing she knew is she’s in front of bar.

            Mr. Jerk entered so she followed him. And she was greeted with striking and colorful lights that dances along the rhythm of the loud music played in the stereos of that place. There were numerous people occupying different spots in the place and they seem like they’re all having fun.

            But what surprised her is that those people seemed to eye the jerk she’s with. They are looking at him, like they’re anticipating his arrival. Particularly, the girls are glancing at him with flashy eyes, and staring at her like she was an eyesore or something.

            “Ya, where are we?” she asked the irascible guy. But he just looked at her like he wasn’t minding her at all. Then, he walked through a small hallway.

            “Ya, where are you going?” she grabbed the guy’s arm to stop him.

            He looked sharply at her. “I’m going back stage. What about you? Where are you going? Will you follow me still?”

            She held his arm. “I won’t let you go there,” she restricted. “I told you I won’t stop until you help me.”

            “Stop nagging at me and just stay here. Don’t go somewhere else. You got it?”

            There was authority in his voice. And though he didn’t promise, she believed that he’ll be back. That’s why she slowly let go of his arm. Then, he swiftly entered the small hallway going to the backstage as she was left in a corner.

            Minutes later, the rolling lights suddenly stopped. Silence took over to the place for a while. But it suddenly vanished when the spotlight shone up the stage brightly and brought into the eyes of the mob five men holding musical instruments. The people grew wild and loud, yelling names and things she couldn’t understand really well the moment they saw those guys.

            Suddenly, drum beats roared all over the place, accompanied by the sound of different intensities of guitars. That drove the crowd wilder.

            She went curious with how the crowd reacted with the band’s music. And from what she can hear, they’re music is obviously good. So she moved from her place and found a spot where she can clearly see the faces of those guys who are in stage. And when she finally got a beautiful view, she was surprised when she saw Mr. ‘i-don’t-care’ in the stage, holding his guitar, and standing in front of the microphone.

            “Let me hold you, for the last time… It’s the last chance to feel again… When you broke me, now I can't feel anything,” his soft- soothing yet husky voice roared all over the place.

            And she felt shiver ran through her spine when she felt so many emotions in his voice. It’s as if his voice touches her heart. There is soul in his eyes. A burning passion is manifested in his face, as if all the song’s emotions are truly felt by him. There is heart, there is power. Things she didn’t actually think he possesses. Traits she didn’t see in his cold brown eyes. Emotions she didn’t see through his cold and emotionless face.

            “When I love you and so untrue… I can't even convince myself… When I’m speaking, it’s the voice of someone else…” he was plucking into his guitar while singing wholeheartedly. And it was as if she was dragged into his musical world she can't see anyone but him. She felt that very moment that the world just turns for him and for her.

            “Oh~ it tears me up… I tried to hold on but it hurts too much. I tried to forgive but it’s not enough to make it all okay... You can't play on broken strings… You can't feel anything that your heart don’t want to feel… I can't tell you something that ain’t real. Oh the truth hurts; lies worst. How can I give anymore when I love you a little less than before~”

            She was awakened from her deep thoughts of nowhere when the crowd yelled. It was too late for her to realize that the song already ended. That was how she was mesmerized to the jerk’s voice. And she found herself ridiculous. It was never in her life that she has become really hooked over a voice of someone else.

            “Gomawoyo,” the jerk briefly expressed with the use of his microphone. And there’s this coldness again in his voice. He suddenly became frigid again, as if he can only feel when he is singing.

            “Do you guys want some more?!!!” the guy holding the bass guitar asked, full of energy. And the people responded wildly. And in just few seconds, the lights started to roll once more, dancing along with every beat created by the drummer. Exhibition of the electric guitar took place. Then, it was seconded by the sound of the bass and acoustic guitar. And just like he was possessed once more by his musical style, the jerk, who also seemed as the band’s lead vocalist sang a heartfelt song once more, proving the power of his vocals.

            The band played numerous songs that night. Rock and edgy songs which kept the people watching alive, energetic and cool, soulful and melodious—they played it all that one rocking night. They’re actually awesome! And she enjoyed every performance of them. She was so carried away with the liveliness of her surroundings she already forgot what time is it. And before she got aware of it, it was already 1:00 in the morning when the band ended their performances.

            Mr. Jerk already went down the stage and she went in a hurry so she could easily follow her. She has to go home now, really. So she easily stuck herself once again behind this guy and followed him up to the backstage and into their dressing room.

            “Ya, jerk,” she called out to call the guy’s attention. And she got what she wanted. Mr. ‘i-don’t-care’ looked at her with his sharp eyes. She also drew attention from his band mates now that they are all staring at her.

            “Hyung, who is she?” the bassist asked.

            “Ah,” she awkwardly smiled to the guys in front her. Then, she bowed down partially. “Annyeong haseyo. I’m Park Shin Hye. It was nice meeting all of you—“

            “Tss,” she heard Mr. ‘i-don’t-care’ hissed as he sharply glanced at her. “What are you still doing here?”

            “Y- You told me to wait here, don’t you? So I waited here. By the way, you’re performance was good.”

            This irascible guy just gave her a stern look as if saying that she was hopeless. And she stared back at him, equally giving a wondering look at him.

            “Wait,” someone meddled. It was the other guitarist, the tallest one in band. “Are you Hong Ki hyung’s girlfriend?” there was a glint in his eyes as he grinned hugely at her, exposing his cute dimples.

            “Hong Ki?” she repeated the name she heard. So, Hong Ki is the name of this jerk.

            “She isn't my girlfriend,” Hong Ki answered. And he looked really bad.

            “Jinjja?” the drummer wondered with a grin. “Why will a girl wait for you here for long hours if you two don’t have anything going on?”

            “And this is the first time we saw Hong Ki hyung talking to a girl, right?” the bassist added.

            “Wait guys,” the pretty guy interrupted. “We’re all doing things so wrong. We’re not yet introducing ourselves first to this beautiful lady here with us,” he said. Then, he turned to her and smiled, gazing at her like he wants her to melt. “I’m Choi Jong Hoon, the leader and the lead guitarist of the band.” He accepted his hand for a hand shake but he instead kissed the top of her hand.

            “I’m Lee Jae Jin, the band’s bassist.”

            “Choi Min Hwan here, the drummer,” the cute guy said, lifting his drumsticks in the air.

            “And I’m Song Seung Hyun, guitarist and rapper.”

            “Ah… Annyeong,” she greeted once more. But she is confused with what they’re all saying and acting towards her. “It’s nice meeting all of you. But, I’m afraid you guys are getting the wrong idea. I am not the girlfriend of this jerk—I mean uhm… Hong Ki.”

            “Eh?” they all said in chorus.

            “But why are you waiting for hyung?” Min Hwan asked.

            “Ah that… I was asking him to send me back home. I’m a newbie here in Seoul, and I got lost while I was talking a walk. He’s the most preferable person I can ask help to because we actually saw each other in the record store hours before but then, he doesn’t want to help. So I followed him up to here. And he told me to wait, and don’t go somewhere else before your gig started,” she explained.

            “Hyung, how can you be so cruel to a girl like this? Noona is just asking for your help,” Seung Hyun commented. Then, he looked unto her. “Don’t worry, Hong Ki hyung will surely send you home.”

            “Ya, Seung Hyunnie, who are you to tell me instructions? And why would I send that girl home?” Hong Ki blurted out. Then, he turned to her. “I already told you this won’t catch my attention. Go and send yourself home.”

            “And I already informed you I’m not your fan or anything. And I doubt if you even have a single fan with that attitude of yours!” she yelled back. “And if I know my way back, I wouldn’t bother myself following you and spending time waiting for you. For your information, my time is precious—“ she suddenly stopped when she felt a little dizzy. And she bit her lower lip to prevent herself from yelling when she felt pain starting to ran through her head, as if it was scraping her brain. It was really painful. And it will worsen if she couldn’t be at home in the soonest moment.

            “I… really need to go home now. Please, help me,” she said as she held unto the guitar on her back to prevent herself from squealing the pain. “If you couldn’t send me home, just tell me the directions, at least.”

            “Hyung,” she heard the other guys pleading Hong Ki.

            “Fine,” Hong Ki finally said. “What’s your address?”

________________________________________

Here is the first chapter... Hope you like it!!! :)

Comments and opinions are welcome...

Do subscribe also, thank you :)))

<3