Chapter 7. Recovery

Baring Fangs

He needs rest and plenty of water…”

 

The voices started to drift off and Sunggyu felt like . He struggled to get his eyes open. He gave up and tried getting up instead. He felt sturdy hands helping him up. The hands helped him into a sitting position and fluffed his pillows. Then he felt something at his mouth and figured out it was a straw. He opened his mouth and drank deeply. The water rushing down his throat was heavenly. He tried to think back to the last time he even ate and came up to a blank.

 

He raised his hand up to touch his face, only to have spikes of pain shoot up. He frowned, it felt like he couldn’t do anything. He finally got his eyes to open, only to see the doctor right in front of him.

 

How are you feeling Sunggyu-ssi?”

 

Sunggyu tried to talk but his throat still felt sore and dry. He motioned with his head towards the glass of water he spied on the table next to him. He doctor took the glass and helped him take a sip. Sunggyu sipped until his throat didn’t feel that bad and replied.

 

It hurts everywhere.”

 

The doctor nodded and kept writing on his clipboard before replying.

 

Of course, you are going to be very sore for a while. Now as to what just happened, you are very dehydrated, severely. Your muscles are over strained and you have insufficient levels of electrolytes. In simpler terms, you haven’t been drinking enough water and you’ve been working too hard. So when those conditions, combined with the attack you had, the simple movement of you trying to move your arm, caused you to start spasming.

 

Your face has one scratch, it was the least part of you damaged. You have deep bites onyour shoulders and legs. Your arms and feet had glass taken out of them, including your back. Your palms are scraped and the cuts are small.

 

Sunggyu seemed flabbergasted. He couldn’t believe all that was wrong with him. He looked at his hand which was connected to a nice IV bag filled to the brim with liquid. He turned back to the doctor.

 

What now? Is there anything else I need to know?”

 

The doctor looked back at the clipboard.

 

Besides drinking plenty of liquids and resting for five weeks, you to eat more and less pressure on your back. Any more pressure and you may slip a disc. I will recommend that you visit the chiropractor. I have a prescription of strong antibiotics for you when you leave and a cream to help the healing. You’ll have to use a cane when you walk or get help. I’m going to say the same instructions I told your band members. Nothing but bed rest. No practicing, no playing around. I recommend walking for exercise. But only when your feet have healed. Your shoulders need to heal or otherwise the healing will take much longer.”

 

Sunggyu grit his teeth and gripped his covers. He felt like punching the wall and flipping over tables. Why him?Why was he the one here, laying in pain and unable to move. Of course he didn’t want any of s here, but still why him? He turned away from his doctor and held in his tears, nobody was going to see him cry. He coughed harshly, wishing he had more water.

 

The doctor finished writing on the clipboard and started to leave room. Sunggyu sighed, it was going to be tough for him wasn’t it? He saw s come in and turned away from them, still not wanting talk to them. He knew it wasn’t their fault that the dogs attacked him, but ignoring his phone calls was a big deal. He didn’t look at anyone or try to make eye contact, he sat there minding his business. He could feel the tension and guilt in the air, almost as if he could cut it with a knife.

 

He spied out the corner of his eye, watching as Woohyun and Dongwoo sat right next to him with the other four standing at the foot of his bed. He pursed his lips before coughing again. Sungjong grabbed the glass of water and helped him take a sip. He nodded in thanks before clearing his throat. But before he could say anything, everyone started talking at once.

 

Hyung! I’m so sorry!”

 

It was all Myungie’s fault, he suggested you be left alone!”
 

Sunggyu-hyung I’m glad you’re fine.”

 

He raised his hand to make everyone stop, otherwise his headache (that just suddenly appeared) would grow.

 

Ok ok, one at a time. Starting with Sungjong.”

 

Sungjong put on his best puppy face and shed some tears before practically throwing himself at Sunggyu.

 

Hyung I’m sorry we left you! I honestly didn’t know the puppies were still messed up.”

 

He sobbed into Sunggyu’s shoulder, making Sunggyu wince and pushed him slightly away. Sungjong sniffled and softly clung to Sunggyu. Shaking his head, Sunggyu looked at Myungsoo. He seemed to be frozen, just staring at Sunggyu. He came closer and sniffled. He held out his hand and silently held Sunggyu’s hand. Looking at Sungyeol, who bursted into tears and made sad kissy faces at him. He chuckled and then frowned, he was trying to be stern.

 

He looked at Hoya, who looked like he was twitching to hug Sunggyu and never let go. He nodded and gave a soft half-smile. He sighed and prepared to talk. He took another sip of water (with some help from Woohyun this time) and opened his mouth.

 

Alright alright I get the message, you guys are sorry.”

 

He narrowed his eyes.

 

But you are going to make it up to me big time. But for now I'm tired and sleepy. So if someone wants to stay, go tell manager-hyung.”

 

They all looked at each other before all but Dongwoo made a dash for the door. He smiled briefly before meeting Dongwoo's eyes.

 

What?”

 

Dongwoo sighed and smiled.

 

I'll help you whip the boys into shape. But we all are sorry, I mean-”

 

He ran his hand through his head and frowned,

 

I had a really bad feeling and I didn't act on it.”

 

He looked at Sunggyu again and sniffled.

 

I'm sorry.”

 

Sunggyu smiled and reached for Dongwoo's cheek.

 

It's fine, I know how hard it is to talk and make the boys listen. The same goes for me, trust me. Now are you going to hassle manager-hyung like the others?”

 

Dongwoo laughed,

 

Nah, even though they all went to hassle him, we all know that we have practice in the morning. Maybe Sungyeol can stay, he has no schedule.”

 

Sunggyu smiled.

 

Hopefully. But-”

 

He yawned.

 

I am tired.”

 

Dongwoo laughed.

 

Go to sleep Hyung. We will be here when you wake up.”

 

Sunggyu nodded and closed his eyes.