Chapter 5. At Last

Baring Fangs

Sunggyu had never in his life, looked this bad. He seemed peaceful, but he gave of an aura of sadness. He had bandages all over his body, he didn’t look like he had been attacked by the very dogs they had raised and loved for months. He looked like the victim of a serious car accident. The injuries seemed to be never ending and even then the boys didn’t see all his wounds.

The doctor was standing next to Sunggyu, checking him over to see if everything was going right. He looked up at the group of boys before looking at each one. He saw the tears that threatened to fall; the heartbroken eyes and he could almost feel their desperation to do something.  He put down the clipboard back at the foot of the bed and turned to the group again before talking.

“I’m Doctor Kim Junye, who might you all be?”

Their manager seemed to come out of nowhere and started talking to the doctor, almost exclusively over how long recovery was going to be.  Dongwoo was the first one to get closer, holding out his hand to hold Sunggyu’s. But he saw it was covered in gauze as well. He held a silent sob and sat down next to Sunggyu.  Sungjong started to cry again and this time Myungsoo joined him.

Woohyun couldn’t handle it, seeing his strong and proud leader, reduced to aching and hurting because he didn’t bother to listen to him. He couldn’t stop the sudden tears that were flowing down his cheeks. He fought the urge to wrap his arms around Sunggyu and never let go.  He made his way to Sunggyu’s side and stood there, repeatedly saying he was SORRY in his mind.

Hoya spoke up, turning to the doctor.

“How bad is he?”

The doctor moved from talking to their manager and grabbed the clipboard again.

“Starting with his face, his cheek was the least damaged part of him. He had one cut running down from his cheekbone. It almost reaches the corner of his mouth. Moving downwards, his shoulders received the deepest injury. The bites were severely deep compared to how big the dogs I heard were. His arms and legs had glass embedded in them, beside scratches. His legs, though, suffered some nasty bites. He’s going to need help walking for a while.”

Sungyeol widen his eyes and frowned.

“Anything else?”

The doctor looked down the chart and nodded.

“His back had cuts and shallow bites. There was a bit of glass but nothing too bad. And lastly the injuries he sustained on his hands were minimalistic. His palms are scraped and his hands have had the glass removed from them. Overall I give him about 5 weeks, maybe more. Bites in the face are less prone to infection, rather than feet which are the most prone. I have pumped him full of antibiotics to stop infection. “

He turned to the manager and spoke loudly for all to hear.

“All that being said, now I’ll give you all orders to follow. Nothing but bed rest. No practicing, no playing around. All he can do is take his medicine and rest. If he needs to move around, I recommend simply walking. His shoulders need to heal or otherwise he won’t be able to move his arms for even longer. His legs are going to be very weak, so one of you will have to help him around or get him a cane.”

And with that the doctor left, leaving everyone to their thoughts.