Trapped

Change

     Eun Mi heard her phone ring with a text message. Eyes still murky from sleep, Eun Mi blindly reached over to the bedside table, and curled her fingers around the rectangular shape of her phone. Laying flat on her back, she blinked, shaking sleep from her eyes. She lifted her arm up, her phone in hand, and peered at the message.

'Good morning love. I just wanted to remind you of how much I love you. I love you more than the sky loves the earth. Have a good morning, I'll see you at lunch.'

from myungsoo. Eun Mi felt the ends of her lips curve upwards as she felt her insides warm and tingle. Her eyes drifted to her hand. A silver band encircled her ring finger, where a week ago, she became Kim Eun Mi. It still felt surreal. The fact that she could spend everyday with Myungsoo. Eun Mi to her stomach, and let out a squeal into her pillows. Deciding she couldn't stay in bed all day, Eun Mi lept out of bed, and skipped into the washroom. Eun Mi beamed as she saw Myungsoo's toothbrush next to hers in the cup. Humming, she began to freshen up. As usual, Eun Mi felt self-conscious infront of mirrors. Mirrors had been the terror of the life she had before she changed. She could never look at the mirror, and see herself masked. It tortured her. Even now, changed, Eun Mi felt it hard to see her reflection staring back. A dull pang of pain from the memories shot through her. Eun Mi ran her hands through her hair, feeling it slip from her fingers. Eun Mi smiled softly. After her change, she left only one part of her that connected her to the past. Her eyes. The same eyes that bore the sadness and rejection was now filled by love and acceptance.

As much as Eun Mi wanted to forget, she couldn't. She couldn't just rid herself of the years where the only light was Joon. As if pulled to her past, Eun Mi left the washroom, and back into the bedroom. She knelt on the ground, and opened the last drawer of the bedside table. Her hand reached in, and pulled out a small box. Opening it, Eun Mi let her eyes rest on her past. Inside the box lay a single photo. A single photo that brought up all the torture. Taking the photo out of the box, Eun Mi leaned against the bed, memories flooding back. Her eyes rested on each of the faces in the picture. She was in that photo. Joon was beside her, arm slung around her protectively. He was beaming. Behind them, two strangers who were once her parents. The woman and man that basically threw her away as trash. 

Why?

How could parents do that to their child?

Because, Eun Mi was born as a girl, trapped in a boy. 

Before her change, Eun Mi was known as Lee Il Sung.