Chapter 35.

Best friends with Royalty

Chapter 35: Future Together


For many years, Baekhyun would wonder what it was that ripped apart his wall brick by brick and gave him permission to look up at the glittering blue sky once more.

He had chain-linked fences surrounding his heart, reinforced by cement that only became heavier and thicker over time. He never allowed himself to enjoy the way the sun kissed the clouds and the way the rain danced on his windowpanes and the way Chanyeol’s smile was the only thing that ever tore down his defenses.

He had built resistances against Chanyeol, labeling him as his superior, his higher-up, maybe a best friend, never a person he’d want to spend the rest of his life with. His future was long drawn out since the day he met Chanyeol – since the day he became the Crown Prince’s right hand man who would stay faithful and loyal throughout the ages. He would be the knight who would sacrifice his life for his king, watching the blood stain crimson roses over his white attire, never for a second regretting the pain that had nothing to do with the wound stinging his chest.

Yet, somehow, throughout the years, Chanyeol’s smile smoothed away the rough edges of Baekhyun’s life and his future morphed into a blurry picture he could no longer distinguish.

Baekhyun had grown accustomed to running away, to closing his eyes and turning away from his own feelings. He was used to standing on the sidelines, watching Chanyeol smile brightly at ladies-in-waiting, ignoring the fact that he knew the grin on Chanyeol’s face was but a shadow of the one he’d show when he was alone with Chanyeol. He knew, from day one—from the moment Chanyeol picked him out from the hundreds of play soldiers and handed him his toy airplane—that Chanyeol would be the sun and he would be the shadow the sun casted. Always by his side, but never together.

As he grew older, his feelings gnawed at the corners of his heart, vying for his attention day and night. He tried to ignore them, tried to ignore the dull, aching feeling in his chest every time Chanyeol was around. When ignoring them didn’t work, he once again tried to flee them, seeking refuge in the calm, tranquil seaside village he mistakenly called home. Those quiet days were beautiful, happy, but all in all a false future he had donned in an attempt to construct a plausible, familiar future again.

Yet, somehow, once again, he was captivated by Chanyeol’s presence, and he could no longer dwell on infinite tomorrows but only the present days he spent by Chanyeol.

“I love you.”

He said it in a nondescript manner, a simple statement punctuating a comfortable silence they had grown used to saying. The day was ordinary, the sun filtering out from behind the clouds, throwing warm rays on their skin.

Chanyeol looked up from his guitar, fingers still strumming absently. He cocked his head to the side, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Baekhyun met his eyes, a twinkle in his pupils, before shrugging and looking away. From his peripheral vision, though, Baekhyun could see the grin breaking across Chanyeol’s face. He could see the way one eye would squint more than the other, and the way the stunning sky paled in comparison to Chanyeol.

The words trailed back into silence, something familiar, and Chanyeol continued to pluck a melody from his guitar. Time passed slowly—maybe fifteen minutes, maybe an hour had gone by—before Chanyeol finally replied.

“I know.”

When Baekhyun looked back at him, there was a smile dancing around the guitar pick Chanyeol held between his lips—a smile that mirrored the one on Baekhyun’s face, almost like they shared a common secret. Without another word, Baekhyun leaned forward and clasped the pick between his teeth, removing it and laughing at the way Chanyeol’s eyes rounded into moons. He dropped the pick in his hands and kissed Chanyeol fully on the lips, sealing nearly two decades of I love you’s left unspoken in the past.

Maybe they could finally look towards the future, together.

 

______________________

A/N: The last chapter will be up very soon.