Chapter 9.

Best friends with Royalty

Vocabulary:
Praetor- commander of an army
Centurion- commander of a cohort
Cohort- a military unit
Fuoco- fire

Chapter 9: For You


The trip ended on a somewhat solemn note. Everyone packed wordlessly, the only noises being their shuffling around the cabin. Although Sehun and Tao were not informed of what was happening (Chanyeol didn’t want to tell Sehun, and Jongin thought that Tao had no relation to the matter, since he was from China), they could sense that there was a change in the mood and went along with it. Baekhyun and Kris had found out soon after, both having expected it and claimed that they were ready for the fight.

The hike back home was nearly silent as well, each and every person lost in their own thoughts. They rested, walked, drank water, walked some more, and before they knew it, they were back in the Capital. Two cars were outside the city gates, waiting for the group.

They split up, the ones heading to the palace in one car, and the ones heading home in another. Since Baekhyun was going to the Palace to discuss tactics with Chanyeol, he rode in their car. Although words were threatening to roll off Baekhyun’s tongue, he bit them back, considering the fact that Sehun was still in the same car as them.

Sehun, completely oblivious to the situation on-hand, tried to make small talk as an attempt to relieve the obvious tension. However, when no one laughed at his joke about the mayonnaise and the mustard in a refrigerator, he trailed off and contented himself to watching Luhan solve the rubix cube in thirty seconds. The long trip continued in silence after Sehun ceased his nonsensical mumbling.

When they finally arrived at the front door of the Palace, they all filed out orderly, heading towards their respective directions. Chanyeol gave Luhan a meaningful look, who bowed in return and turned to run after Sehun.

When Chanyeol, Jongin, and Baekhyun were finally alone, Chanyeol let out a big sigh before leaning his forehead on Baekhyun’s shoulder, despite the large difference in height.

“I’m tired, Baekhyunnie,” Chanyeol mumbled, closing his eyes.

“It’s going to be alright,” Baekhyun whispered back, for once, not complaining about the pet name Chanyeol gave him. He rubbed soothing circles on his friend’s back, feeling his muscles relax under his touch.

Jongin observed his brother and friend with mild interest. He shook his head as he saw the two of them continue to converse in hushed tones and absently wondered to himself why those two were such idiots that did not know their own feelings.

After a couple more minutes of comforting words from Baekhyun, Chanyeol finally stood up straight, rubbing his eyes tiredly with the back of his hand. He smiled at Baekhyun and told him not to worry and that he was fine.

Meanwhile, Jongin cleared his throat while scrolling through the text messages on his phone.

I informed them. We’re prepared to attack on command.

Kyungsoo’s message spread a wide smile on Jongin’s face.

“Guys, we’ve got to get planning,” he said, tucking away his phone. “Kyungsoo’s got the people.”

The three of them sat in Chanyeol’s study, arguing nonstop about certain tactics and how to deploy the soldiers, only stopping to welcome Kyungsoo into the conversation.

As the discussion wore on, Chanyeol became increasingly worried. He began to notice how many unknown variables there were in this attack. They didn’t know how many men Soyeon had under her control. They didn’t know the exact time of her attack. They didn’t know the location of her first assault. All they knew was that one wrong move could cause everything they’ve worked for till this day to vanish.

Ever since Chanyeol had been given the title as ‘Crown Prince’, he had tons of supporters flocking by his side. He had his brothers, the boyars, the military leaders, and even correspondents from neighboring countries. He was that prepared to take the throne. The citizens of the country recognized and willing accepted him as their next leader.

However, his older sister, Park Soyeon, who happened to be one of his most bitter enemies, was also fighting for the throne. It was not unnatural for a woman to reign, but her efforts for power seemed almost uncalled for, as the country had long deemed Chanyeol fit as their ruler. But if Soyeon was somehow able to assassinate Chanyeol, the Emperor, and the Empress, she would rise to the throne as a regent, since Chanyeol’s other brothers were all too young to rule. Chanyeol was afraid that that was exactly Soyeon’s plan. And if it succeeded, he, his father, his mother, and God knows who else will have just received their death sentence.

Despite the fact that everyone assured him that he would win and that he would get the throne for sure, he was afraid at what cost. He didn’t want lives to be sacrificed just so he could rise to power. Just so he could obtain a position that he wasn’t confident in taking. Doubts clouded his mind, anxiety manifesting in his stomach.

“Chanyeol. Chanyeol, it’s going to be fine.”

Chanyeol, upon hearing Baekhyun’s unique, husky voice, looked up and saw the three of them looking at him worriedly. He blinked a few times, trying to swallow his unease, and turned towards Baekhyun, who suddenly took his hand. Surprised, he tried to pull away, but was shocked by his friend’s sudden strength.

“Park Chanyeol. Listen to me,” he demanded softly. “You’re going to be fine. You’re going to win this battle, and you’re going to claim what’s originally yours. You’re not going to let that wench take your position, are you? We’re willing to do anything to protect it. We just need your approval.”

Chanyeol stared back at Baekhyun’s fiery, determined gaze, and realized with a jolt that these people were ready to go all out. They weren’t worried about their safe-being anymore. They had prepared to every little detail for this day, and it was finally coming.

“Don’t forget, you’re not doing it for only yourself,” Baekhyun continued, finally letting go of Chanyeol’s hand, only to gesture at the three of them. “You’re doing it for us, for everyone. If Soyeon, that sorry excuse of a human being, rises to the throne, the people are screwed. There’s no telling what she’d do. She could reverse all of your father’s work for this country.”

“He’s right,” Kyungsoo spoke up, staring at the table’s smooth texture. “Weme and Baekhyun... we’ve already seen hundreds of lives die for this cause.”

He suddenly looked up at Chanyeol with malevolence filling his pupils. “You didn’t happen to forget that, did you, Crown Prince?”

Chanyeol flinched at the use of his title. He knew exactly what Kyungsoo was talking about.

Being the Crown Prince wasn’t easy. Being the Crown Prince with a powerful sibling that could take away his position anytime was even harder. Ever since he was young, ever since that incident happened, he knew he needed an army.

But the young Chanyeol didn’t want an army full of old men who didn’t understand him. He wanted an army full of people his age. An army that not only protected him, but also played with him. And thus, an order for playmates was sent to every corner of the country.

Hundreds of young boys were rounded. Chanyeol, who was terribly interested in weaponry and military tactics, immediately lined the boys into two play armies, putting them at war with each other. The poor kids did not know that they were dealing with real firearms. Over a dozen children died, killed by the Crown Prince’s sadistic, but necessary ‘games’.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were part of the one hundred that had survived. The one hundred that had the cruelty of warfare branded into their minds at a young age. The one hundred that soon became the First Cohort in Chanyeol’s kid army. The First Cohort of the First Legion Fuoco.

And all of it was to ensure the safety of Chanyeol’s succession to the throne. The little boys dying, the kids losing their friends one by one, the back-to-back harsh training. It was all for this day.

Chanyeol drew in a deep breath, feeling a fiery resolve build in the depths of his stomach.

“I did not forget,” he said, his voice shaky.

He cleared his throat. “I will fight, fight not only for myself, but for my people, my country, and for you guys,” he continued, his voice gaining strength with each word. “That, I assure you of. No matter win or loss, I will try my best.”

Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol for a while, as if contemplating whether or not to trust him. Chanyeol gazed back, confident and unfazed. Finally, Kyungsoo cracked a smile.

“Well said, Chanyeol,” he said. “Now we know that there’s nothing to worry about. Shall we continue?”

Chanyeol nodded, stretching his arms a little. He had to get his act together, now. He stood up, already in military commander mode.

“Praetor Byun Baekhyun of the First Legion Fuoco and Centurion Do Kyungsoo of the First Cohort,” he began, his deep voice resonating through the small room.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo both rose, standing up straight, waiting for command.

“I command you to protect the Royal Family in my steed, doing all you can to ensure the safety of the Emperor, the Empress, and the prince and princesses. Their protection parallels the protection of the country, our utmost importance. Until I return, I request of you, please take care of them,” Chanyeol said with a note of desperation, but not fear.

“Yes, sir,” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo chorused.

“Jongin, send Sehun and Luhan off now. Luhan will protect him,” Chanyeol said. “They can go anywhere, the countryside, out of the country, whatever, just don’t let them stay in the Capital.”

“I understand,” Jongin replied, standing up and ready to head out of the door. Just as he was leaving, he paused and turned around.

“Chanyeol-hyung.”

“Yes?”

“Hurry and come back, hyung. We’ll be waiting for your return.”

Jongin gave Chanyeol a confident smirk and a playful salute before leaving to find Sehun in his chamber.

___________________

A/N: Um.. Let me clear some things up for you guys. Praetor, Centurion, and Cohort are all Roman terms. Like, they were all part of the Roman legions. And I'm a freak, so I'm using them. Fuoco is Latin. Yeah, this story is going all over the place >.> First Russian, then Roman. Well, I'm a er for cool sounding words, so :D Yeah, I should stop re-reading The Son of Neptune. >.>

A cohort actually has 6 centuriae, which has 80 men each. So... in other words, one cohort as 480 men. However, the First Cohort of the First Legion Fuoco only has 100 men, so it's going to be quite interesting watching them defend the palace against the hundreds of streltsy. Of course, that's not all the men, since there are definitely more, but the First Cohort will be playing a major role during the battle. Actually, the First Cohorts in history are supposed to have, like, 800 men, but since this story is... very loosely based off history, I'm making it 100. Yeah. I'm messed up. Whatever. Sheesh.

Um. Sorry, this is liek... a block of text that's all confusing and disconnected. I wrote this two in the morning and edited while watching T.V (not a good idea), lol. I had no idea how to make it sound better, since I was pretty much crying my eyes out watching Black Fox, so... :D

There's not much Baekyeol in this, but if I actually focus on writing and not get distracted, I'll probably post another chapter with more touching Baekyeol before Chanyeol leaves. Oh. And more KaiSoo. :D

A small heads-up on how this story will be progressing. As I promised, all 12 EXO members will be appearing in this story. I'll dedicate one chapter, at least, to each side OTP, so there's definitely going to be over 5 chapters on them. I still have to slowly introduce some members. There's going to be more angst going on after the battle's over and Joohyun comes into the picture. That'll take up probably a few chapters, so uhm... this fic will probably have.... 20-30 chapters? Just telling you guys. I hope I don't drag it out too much >.> There're so many chapters right now because the chapters are all really short. I'm sorry ;___;