Chapter 13.

Best friends with Royalty

Chapter 13: Just Friends


Baekhyun didn’t know why, but it felt so right being wrapped in Chanyeol’s arms. His strong limbs gave him a sense of protection and, for once, let him lower his guard. It gave him a sense of vulnerability, though not quite in a bad way. It made him feel that it was alright to be himself, to not constantly keep up a strong façade. It made him feel… safe.

It was just that simple.

Being in Chanyeol’s arms was just like being at home, sitting on a creaky rocking chair in front of a warm fire, reading a book by William Faulkner, or perhaps, by Emily Brontë.

Being in Chanyeol's arms was like drinking a cup of hot chocolate, burrowed under his blankets listening to the rain patter rhythmically against his window pane and having the songs from his iPod as background music.

That’s why he didn’t want this moment to end; lying beside Chanyeol, feeling his soft breath ruffle his hair. Last night, Chanyeol had insisted on sleeping with Baekhyun, claiming that he wanted to spend as much time possible with his best friend.

He never did apologize like he meant to, but Baekhyun understood. The simple smile Chanyeol had given him when he had swung open the door told him everything.

Somehow, despite his many weak, insincere protests, Baekhyun found himself waking up early the next morning, before even the sun, next to Chanyeol. He couldn’t help but smile to himself as Chanyeol pouted in his sleep, his eyebrows furrowing. Staring at his best friend, he unconsciously let his finger trace Chanyeol’s plump lips.

With a small gasp, he realized what he was doing and immediately retracted his hand. At the same time, his heart set off beating at 200 bpm. He could feel an unnatural heat creep onto his face and an exploding warmth spreading in his chest. Suddenly, he felt a craving to touch Chanyeol even more, to mark every part of his body with his fingers.

Baekhyun trailed his hand down the side of Chanyeol’s cheek, not feeling a slightest bit of awkwardness. At the back of his mind, he knew that his actions were abnormal, and if Chanyeol woke up, he’d be screwed. However, the temptation of the angel in front of him was just too much.

Once again, he found his fingers pressed against Chanyeol’s lips, amazed by the softness of the skin. He left his touch lingering there, reluctant to pull away. He bit his lip, a fleeting want of having Chanyeol’s lips pressed against his flittered through his mind. He felt his cheeks burn as he slowly removed his hand.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Baekhyun shifted around in the bed until he was facing the wall, his back towards Chanyeol. He felt his best friend’s arms tighten around his waist, pulling him closer to his chest until his chin was resting on top of Baekhyun’s head. He felt his breathing grow haggard.

Suddenly, Chanyeol’s hand brushed against the bare patch of skin where Baekhyun’s shirt had ridden up. He flinched from the fiery contact, jerking away from Chanyeol.

Why the hell am I feeling this way?

A million alarm bells rang in Baekhyun’s head as he realized that what he was feeling was just not right.

I mean, Chanyeol is a friend… right?

Baekhyun let out a quiet, nervous chuckle as he nodded to himself, a feeble attempt to convince himself.

Just a friend. Mhmm.

Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut, forcing these thoughts to roam in his mind, not allowing them to leave. At the same time, he tried to vanquish the ridiculous feelings he had about kissing his best friend, but not to much success.

Especially when Chanyeol murmured his name.

With a start, Baekhyun turned himself around (an incredible feat, considering how tight Chanyeol was holding him), and found himself blinking at a still deep in slumber Chanyeol.

Was… Chanyeol dreaming about me?

He couldn’t explain the sudden dizziness caused by a sense of heightened elation.

“Baekhyun… Why are you talking to yourself?” Chanyeol muttered, his eyes still closed.

Baekhyun could only stare at his friend, wondering if he was just sleep-talking or if he was actually awake. Chanyeol finally opened one eye to look at Baekhyun blearily, banishing all doubts in Baekhyun’s mind.

He really didn’t know why he was so disappointed that Chanyeol was actually awake.

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked again in that hoarse voice that indicated that he had just waken up.

Baekhyun loved the raw tone in Chanyeol’s voice as he spoke to him.

“I…wasn’t,” he muttered back, temporarily mesmerized by how perfect Chanyeol looked right now, his hair mussed up to the perfect extent, eyes still glazed over by sleep.

“Yes you were,” Chanyeol insisted, speaking softly. “You said something about ‘just a friend’. What, were you talking about me?”

Baekhyun opened his mouth, before closing it again, wondering how to explain himself. His heart was pounding in his chest, nervousness tumbling about in his stomach. The last thing he needed was for Chanyeol to think he was a creep and avoid him for the rest of his life.

He didn’t think he could bear that.

“I…” Baekhyun trailed off, feeling himself get lost in Chanyeol’s large, unblinking eyes staring curiously at him.

Suddenly, Chanyeol let a large, Cheshire grin appear on his face, his eye twitching slightly.

“Are you trying to convince yourself that I’m just a friend to you? You’re not in love with me, are you?” Chanyeol asked, hilarity sprinkled all over his words, as if he found the whole matter ridiculous and like a joke.

“I…”

Baekhyun didn’t know what was with the heavy bricks that felt so much like rejection filling up his heart. Neither did he know what was with the moisture collecting at the sides of his eyes, threatening to spill out. He kept his eyes wide open, refusing to give into the constant coaxing of his tears.

“…Baek…hyun?” Chanyeol stuttered, shocked by the sudden change in Baekhyun’s expression and even more startled by the wetness of his pupils.

He instinctively reached out one hand to brush away the stray tear that managed to escape just a little from Baekhyun’s constraints. Baekhyun slapped the hand away harshly, the stinging pain registering in Chanyeol’s mind a few seconds too late.

“Sorry,” Baekhyun said bluntly.

“Baekhyun, I-“

“Don’t worry, it’s nothing,” he muttered, wiping his eyes. “You know how my eyes always get watery when I wake up.”

Chanyeol didn’t say anything and simply watched with concern as Baekhyun blinked a few times, repeatedly rubbing his eyes.

You’re lying. Your eyes are never watery when you wake up.

“And don’t be stupid,” Baekhyun said in a nonchalant tone. “I’ll never fall in love with you.”

“Of course,” Chanyeol said lightly, forcing out a laugh. “After all, we’re best friends, right?”

“Yeah… we’re best friends.”

None of them could explain the sudden pang they felt in their chest.

_______________

A/N: Huh. My Word messed up when I was typing this chapetr, so I'm not sure if the format's correct, lol. But... sort-of-not-really-angsty chapter? xD

Um. My mind is completely blank right now. I just failed a math quiz.

Not that I got my grade back or anything. I can just feel it. Da feeling when you know you've failed, you know.

I've gotten two of my friends into reading Arbitrage. I feel proud of myself. LOL.

So now, I have two friends that are all FF lovers, and yesterday, during this stupid orientation thingy majig at our school, we were like "NOOOO!! DO NOT DRAG US AWAY FROM EACH OTHER!! WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT OUR FANFICS!!!"

And we just stood in a freakin triangle spazzing about KaiSoo. LOL.

I would recommend you guys her story if I knew what it aws >3> She wouldn't let me read it. I have no idea what her username is, but it has something to do with blossoms or something.

Uh. What was I talking about? .... AH! The fanfic. Yeah. Seeee... I'm updating weekly, lol. I'm just typing nonsense right now. I'm on the brink of insanity, I'm breaking out like crazy, and school is like suffocating me. Goshies, teachers need to loosen up.

Oh but one good thing is the school library LOL. I borrowed a book about William Faulkner today (yeah he's in this chapter), and read the story "A Rose for Emily". I was like OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. at the end. You guys should read it.

Another thing you guys should read is my new one-shot /gets bricked. Watching Freedom Fly It's an entry for this one contest. :o ...Yeah... I'm going to work on hw now and shower before my mom kills me. Cya next time guys!

TY to ALLLLL MY SUBSCRIBERS BTW. I LOVE YOU ALL!

-gives you guys all muffins-