Chapter 15.

Best friends with Royalty

Chapter 15: It's Time


The blazing red sunset softened into an orange glow as minutes dragged by slowly. Streaks of rouge accented the sky, fading as the infinite canvas continued to stretch.

“What time is it?” Baekhyun asked, keeping his eyes to the sky, squinting a bit at the sun.

“Almost six,” Kyungsoo answered, next to Baekhyun, gazing not at the sky but straight ahead, his eyes alert.

“When will it begin?”

“Soon.”

Baekhyun laughed. “It feels nice with you guys here.”

“That’s ‘cause we’re awesome,” Jongin said nonchalantly.

“Yeah.”

A strangely calm silence settled between them as the three of them stood in front of the palace gates, watching the sunset.

Waiting.

There was nothing to do but to wait.

The ticking of Kyungsoo’s watch seemed to grow louder, until it was pounding in their heads, constantly reminding them of the countdown.

The countdown to slaughter.

Baekhyun cringed as he thought about the lives that may be lost because of this battle. It’ll be bloodshed, bloodshed, and more bloodshed, until every inch of the old concrete was soaked in blood, the liquid even seeping into the small cracks lining the ground. Soon, the once-grey asphalt will be a reflection of the current sky.

“Are you ready?” Jongin asked suddenly.

“Of course,” Baekhyun replied.

“We have to be,” Kyungsoo said.

“Good. Because it’s going to start soon.”

Kyungsoo lifted his watch and saw the second hand inching towards “12”, the minute hand trembling as it anticipated its move to “6”.

Baekhyun, having glanced at the watch, took a deep breath, before holding out his hands.

“You guys are the best friends anyone could ever ask for,” he said.

Kyungsoo and Jongin both grinned, before each grabbing one of Baekhyun’s hands and then joining theirs.

“I’m glad we’re in this together,” Kyungsoo murmured, as the three of them stood close together, unspoken words and feelings flowing smoothly through them.

“Shall we have a drink?” Baekhyun asked, angling his chin towards his small backpack, which held a small bottle of wine.

Jongin smirked. “Let’s save it for after the battle. Then, we can drink to our hearts’ content.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “Deal.”

“Deal,” Baekhyun repeated, feeling his smile grow wider.

We’re all In this together. We’ll live together. We’ll die together.

Then, the first gunshot was heard.

They broke apart, smiles sliding from their faces as their eyes narrowed, scanning the perimeter.

“It’s began,” Kyungsoo breathed softly.

“Yes, it has,” Baekhyun said, as he saw the silhouette of an army marching towards them. “Open the palace gates on the count of three. One…”

The troops drew closer, their guns loaded.

“Two…”

The front line of the army aimed their guns at the three of them, fingers inching towards the trigger.

“THREE!”

The palace gates flew open just as bullets began raining through the air. Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Jongin ducked, dodging to the side, before resurfacing and grabbing their own weapons, firing as they backed up slowly. Their own men, the First Cohort, rushed out of the gates meeting the incoming attack of the streltsy with their own fires.

Before they knew it, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Jongin were side by side again, shooting confidently into the army in front of them.

“This is not the real attack,” Kyungsoo muttered.

“What?!” Jongin exclaimed, lowering his gun for a second.

Kyungsoo immediately pushed him to the side just as a bullet shot past him, barely grazing his cheek. Jongin cursed, wiping away the blood roughly, before picking up his gun and attacking again.

“The numbers are not nearly enough,” Kyungsoo explained. “This is just a distraction.”

“, Soyeon’s probably saving the large attack for the finale,” Baekhyun spat.

“Baekhyun, take Jongin and leave,” Kyungsoo said suddenly, his voice urgent as he reloaded his gun.

“What the are you talking about?” Jongin screamed, whipping his face towards Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun’s head also snapped up, as he stared at Kyungsoo, shocked. Kyungsoo turned around to smile grimly at them.

“I’m not volunteering for a suicide mission, okay?” He said, reassuring them. “I’m perfectly capable of handling this with our men. I want you two to immediately take the Royal family and evacuate the palace. I’m going to used it as the battleground for this battle and possibly for the last too.”

Baekhyun hesitated, biting his lip. He knew Kyungsoo was a ration, cool-minded person and that he was probably right, but he didn’t want to leave him in the midst of the fight.

Kyungsoo seemed to sense Baekhyun’s indecision and flashed him another smile.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine. I’m not on my own, remember?” He said, waving a hand, gesturing to the soldiers around them. “I’m with my comrades, my friends. We grew up together, and if there’s one thing we learned… it’s to always look out for each other. So, believe me, I’m in good hands.”

Baekhyun looked at the men, smiling as one of the soldiers waved and called, “Praetor! Having a good time?”

That’s right. We’re a big family that always looks out for each other.

“First Cohort of the First Legion Fuoco!” Baekhyun hollered. “Listen up! We’re going to win this battle! We’re going to watch our Crown Prince become Emperor! Keep that in mind, and fight, fight not only for yourselves, but for our country!”

Screams of approval echoed around him as grinned. He gave Kyungsoo a pat on the shoulder before grabbing Jongin’s hand, pulling him towards the palace.

Jongin didn’t budge, but merely looked Kyungsoo seriously in the eye.

“Don’t forget out promise,” he whispered, his words brushing past Kyungsoo’s ear, the warmth of his breath tickling him.

Then, suddenly, he was gone.

Kyungsoo could only smile, before reloading his gun again.

Don’t worry. I remember our promise.

---


Jongin was unnaturally quiet as Baekhyun dragged him through the palace garden and towards the main Pavilion, where the Emperor was.

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asked, slowing their pace a little.

Jongin only shook his head, not replying. Baekhyun could see the worry and anxiety manifesting in his dark pupils.

“He’s going to be okay,” Baekhyun whispered.

Jongin nodded, still not meeting Baekhyun’s eyes. Baekhyun squeezed his hand slightly, a gesture of affection. Jongin finally glanced up, with the same confident look in his eyes, as he gave Baekhyun a small smile.

“I know.”

The two of the burst through the doors of the Pavilion, their sudden appearance shocking the Royal family. Taking one look at the two of them, understanding dawned on the Emperor, and he stood up.

“What do you want me to do?” He asked.

“Leave,” Baekhyun said.

The Emperor nodded, not minding the short answer. The Empress also rose, bowing slightly to Baekhyun and Jongin.

“Thank you,” she said softly.

Baekhyun smiled. “You’re welcome.”

“Thank you… for… Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun looked at her surprised, but the warmth in her eyes was genuinely.

“Even though… he’s not my son… I treat him as if he was. I know… it took him—and you, Jongin—a long time to accept me… but I’m really glad you guys did.”

Jongin bowed. “You don’t have to worry, mother. Chanyeol considers you as a real “mother”, not just the term.”

“Darling, we have to go,” the Emperor said, reluctantly interrupting the warm moment.

The Empress nodded, before giving both Baekhyun and Jongin a hug.

“We’ll be sending our fifty best-trained men to ensure your protection,” Baekhyun said, as he ushered them into a car.

“Thank you for everything,” the Emperor said, repeating his wife’s words.

“It’s my duty,” Baekhyun said simply, before closing the door and watching the car drive away.

As Baekhyun and Jongin exited the garage, one of the servants ran up to them, panting.

“P-praetor, a letter for you,” he gasped out, clutching his sides.

Baekhyun took the envelope, confused as of who would send him a letter at this time. The cover of the envelope was blank, without his name or the sender’s.

“Who is it from?” He asked, ripping it open.

“Princess Soyeon.”

Baekhyun exchanged glances with Jongin, their shock mirrored on each other’s faces. After breaking eye contact, Baekhyun unfolded the letter, feeling his face grow more grim as his eyes passed by each word.

“What does she want?” Jongin asked anxiously.

Baekhyun didn’t reply and carefully folded the letter again, placing it back into the envelope.

“You may go now,” he said to the servant, who nodded and hustled off.

“What is it?” Jongin asked again.

Baekhyun took a deep breath and looked at Jongin. “She wants me to meet with her. She’s going to offer a peace treaty.”

__________________

A/N: LOL what did I just write? >.> So like, my writing is getting worse and worse, but it's all good. LOL. And I actually did plan this chapter out in class. LOL. Guys, guys... the KaiSoo! Omg, the KaiSoo. lol >.> I wasn't even going to write this chapter... but then I was like OMG one week of no updates. So. Yeah. LOL.

Um... I know this is not the chapter you guys wanted. Everyone wants Baekhyun and Chanyeol to kiss... but yeah. Not going to happen yet. 'Cause you know, I'm actually a really "old-fashioned" person (I'm not old okay >:O just old fashioned...). I think people should only kiss or have with people if they love them. (Did that sentence make sense?) So, since Baekhyun and Chanyeol do not know that they love each other yet... They're not going to kiss. Lol. I fail. I know. Shush.

And I'm like... in a half-good mood half-bad mood right now. Good mood 'cause I'M FREAKIN GOING TO KCON. I HOPE. TICKETS BOUGHT. OMGAWD IMA SEE EXO-M AND LUHAN. AND G.NA. AND SIMONANDMARTINA. Oh, and also 'cause... I saw Wesley from WongFu Productions the other day... and like... I got his autograph... on a post-it note LOL. Fail.

Bad mood cause of

1) I have a freakin Competition the SAME DAY as KCon. And KCon starts at 10. Competition ends around 1-2, if we're staying for the scores to be released. I REALLY hope my teacher will let me out right after the competition LOL.

2) I'm too freaked out to ask my mom to bring one of my friends to KCon with me (even though we've already bought her tickets-WHY AM I TELLING YOU GUYS THIS). ...Yeah.

3) I'm super duper pissed and angry because I got a freakin' B on my English Essay. A FREAKIN' B. -CRIES-

....Yeah I'm sure no one cares about that.

Follow me on Tumblr? I've been reblogging to win some merchandise LOL. I usually just post edits there, so >.>

Until next time, CIAO~