Chapter 6.

Best friends with Royalty

Chapter 6: Camping


“Chan…yeol?” Baekhyun began softly and hesitantly, his eyes scanning Chanyeol’s face for any signs of pain.

“Hmm?” Chanyeol breathed.

“Can you get off of me? The rocks are stabbing my back…”

Chanyeol didn’t move and continued staring at Baekhyun’s face at such close proximity. Baekhyun seemed unfazed by his deep gaze and continued to struggle about, trying to find a way to free himself.

“…What are you doing?” Chanyeol asked in a low voice after watching his friend squirm about for the past few minutes.

“Trying to get out from under you.”

Chanyeol blinked at Baekhyun for a few seconds before smoothly getting off of him with a small roll. Baekhyun sat up and stared at Chanyeol wide-eyed.

“…What?” Chanyeol asked defensively after a while.

“I thought you couldn’t get up!”

“When’d I say that?”

“Well, why’d you stay above me for such a long time then?”

“I was admiring your face.”

Chanyeol admitted it with no hesitation whatsoever, feeling slightly amused at Baekhyun’s flustered expression. His friend had flushed a deep red and was rapidly glancing from one direction to the other, never meeting eyes with Chanyeol.

“W-what are you saying?” Baekhyun said with a small, nervous laugh. He began to rummage in his backpack for nothing in particular.

“I said, I was admiring your face. After so many years, only today, have I realized how handsome my best friend is. No wonder girls swoon over you,” Chanyeol remarked, patting Baekhyun on the head.

Baekhyun only delved deeper into his backpack, hiding his blush.

“What are you looking for?” Chanyeol asked, noticing that Baekhyun hadn’t surfaced for quite some while.

“N-nothing,” Baekhyun said, hastily looking up at Chanyeol, only to look away again.

“Well, in that case, let’s go to sleep. Did you bring a blanket?” Chanyeol asked, making himself comfortable on a patch of grass.

“Y-yeah,” Baekhyun stuttered, taken back by the sudden change of conversation topics.

He immediately took out a small fleece blanket and unfolded it, placing it gently over Chanyeol. Then, he sat back against a small tree, hugging his knees. After a while, Chanyeol sat up and turned towards to Baekhyun.

“Aren’t you going to sleep?” He asked.

“H-huh? Oh. Yeah.”

“Then come over here. You’re going to catch a cold staying over there.” Chanyeol patted the area beside him.

Baekhyun’s mind spun as he registered Chanyeol’s words.

He wants me to sleep with him?! What the hell?

“What, are you suddenly shy now?” Chanyeol asked, amusement lacing his words. “We slept in the same bed yesterday too, you know.”

“O-of course I know,” Baekhyun said in a confident tone that he hardly recognized. He dragged himself over to Chanyeol and gingerly laid down beside him, making sure to place a good distance between them.

“Come closer,” Chanyeol ordered.

Baekhyun stiffened, before scooting a few more inches over. Chanyeol sighed, before reaching out and pulling his friend towards him. He held him close, enjoying the warmth of his body.

“Let’s just stay like this until they find us,” Chanyeol murmured sleepily.

Little did he know, Baekhyun was having a mini panic attack right now. He had been perfectly fine the last time they slept together (yesterday), because he was pretty much unconscious the whole time. This time, however, he had all of his senses sharp, a little too sharp. He was way too aware of the way Chanyeol was laying on his back, head tilted towards him, his breath tickling his shoulder. His heart seemed to have set off on a marathon, beating at an abnormally fast pace.

Baekhyun glanced over to Chanyeol, only to see that he was breathing calmly, his eyes closed, probably already sleeping. Baekhyun puffed out his cheeks, disappointed at how quickly his best friend had fallen asleep. He could’ve at least stayed awake for a little longer, just to talk to Baekhyun.

Actually… Baekhyun thought, as he sat up and scanned Chanyeol’s features, he’s better off sleeping. He’s less worrisome then.

Baekhyun smiled as he reached out to curl a strand of hair behind Chanyeol’s ear. Suddenly, Chanyeol’s eyes flashed open, and he grabbed Baekhyun’s wrist, much to the latter’s surprise. He smirked at his friend’s gasp and sat up, pulling Baekhyun close towards him.

“So. Watching me sleep, huh?” Chanyeol murmured teasingly, mocking Baekhyun with his eyes.

“I-I was not!” Baekhyun exclaimed, indignant.

“Riiight.”

“I was just brushing the hair out of your eyes, god. You should really trim that hair of yours. No prince should look so unruly.” Baekhyun pursed his lips in disapproval, and, as if to prove his point, he reached over and straightened his hair.

Then, just to irk Baekhyun even more, Chanyeol messed his hair up again and reached out to do the same to him. Baekhyun immediately inched away and rewarded Chanyeol with a loud smack on his arm.

“Stupid Chanyeol. Just go to sleep.”

Chanyeol grinned. “Alright then!”

He placed one arm around Baekhyun and pulled him towards his chest before falling backwards. He smiled slightly to himself as he noticed that Baekhyun didn’t struggled. He closed his eyes and got ready to fall asleep.

“Chanyeol… are you awake?” Baekhyun suddenly asked after a while of silence.

“Mhmm…” Chanyeol hummed in response.

Baekhyun snuggled closer to his best friend, burying his face in Chanyeol’s shirt.

“What? Are you scared?” Chanyeol whispered teasingly.

Baekhyun punched Chanyeol softly before shaking his head, not caring if Chanyeol saw him or not.

“Oh yeah, I forgot. You were always scared of the dark when you were little.”

“I was not!” Baekhyun’s muffled response only brought a chuckle to Chanyeol’s lips.

“Of course you weren’t. Now go to sleep.”

Baekhyun made a face before closing his eyes, trying to go to sleep. Suddenly, the breeze ruffled the grass around them. He flinched and clutched Chanyeol’s shirt even tighter. Chanyeol felt his friend tense and turned the two of them on their sides, hugging Baekhyun towards him, despite his wounded arm.

“Y-yah, Park Chanyeol. Don’t move your arm so much. What if it starts bleeding again?”

“Mmmffgghh,” Chanyeol mumbled sleepily into Baekhyun’s hair. “You’re scared right? If I’m here, then you don’t have to be scared anymore.”

Despite himself, Baekhyun smiled a bit more. “Psh. When’d you get so cheesy?”

Chanyeol laughed a little before replying, “I was always like this.”

______________

A/N: Completely un-betaed LOL. I wasn't supposed to update today, but because I got 100 individual subscribers, I am. I know it seems like a measley number, considering the fact that I have over 10 fics, I'm still really touched. Thanks to all my subscribers! I'll try my best to improve.

Now. As for this chapter. I'm very, very, very unsatisfied. But I'm going to update this anyways. Lol. I hope people won't hate it too much. I was pretty much rambling for the whole chapter, so sorry. And sorry if the quality of my updates seem to decline. I'm trying to improve, but I guess I have sort of a writer's block right now. I have ideas, but they're not clear enough to form chapters with, so ;__;

And now I sound like a retard.

Check out my new three-shot story, guys. It's about KaiStal xD. Tomorrow will be Better