Chapter 5

My Bestfriend's Crush

I ran out the hallway and frantically had to choose between right (to the library), ahead (to the pools) or left (to the garden). I didn’t really have much time so I chose to go left and sprinted for my dear life until I was running across the rose beds, knowing that JoonGu-Ahjussi, our school’s caretaker, would bury whoever stepped all over his precious flowers alive when he finds out about their demise later on. I kept looking over me to see if Kris was following and I seemed to have lost him for a moment. Oh, I am so glad I was DaeSun-HakGyo’s renowned ‘fastest girl sprinter’ or I wouldn’t have been able to even dream about out-running Kris Wu.

 

“Oof…!” I groaned as I hit something firm but warm. I looked up and saw Luhan, his light brown eyes boring into mine with a small, amused smile on his face. “Woah, Am, are you okay there?” he asked, holding onto my shoulders. I really wasn’t in the position to explain just how pretty he looked, because I knew Kris was still after me and I still needed to catch my breath. “Hey, skinny guy, help me!” I pleaded, out of breath and realising that the lollipop was still in my mouth. His eyebrows furrowed in concern.

 

“Wait, what happened?” he queried. The echoing footsteps made me turn and I saw Kris subtly panting for air as he looked around him. I gawked back to Luhan who looked like he just got his question half answered. I gave him the ‘please?’ look, hoping he’d understand what I meant. I guessed he did, because he gave me a small nod.

 

I looked over to my shoulder again and saw Kris eyeing us. He started walking towards our direction with a stern look on. Oh crap...! I pulled myself up and put my arms around Luhan’s neck without even asking permission. I was hoping that Kris wouldn’t be too angry about me eating his Valentines’ Day lollipop. He shouldn’t be, right? It’s not like he’s saving it for ‘someone special', 'cause that’s just sappy.

 

Luhan seemed to have hesitated for a second, but he quickly put his arms around my waist. I owe Lulu big time.

 

“Luhan,” a breathless Kris spoke. I released Luhan from my hold but I think he froze for a while because he didn’t let go of me until I whispered, “It’s okay now. Thanks,” taking the “And you’re suffocating me half to death right now” part out, because that would just be rude. I turned around to face Kris, my heart beating so fast from the rush that I was scared it’d jump out of my chest at any minute. I was still on the candy I took from him though. His intense eyes shifted from me to Luhan continuously with an expression I really couldn’t read, which was pretty annoying.

 

“Hey, Kris,” Luhan put a hand casually in his pocket. “What’s up? Why aren’t you guys in the pools?” he asked. I bit my bottom lip despite the strawberry-flavoured lollipop in my mouth. Man, Krystal would freak when she finds out I ate her precious Kris’ Valentines’ Day lollipop. Wait, Krystal would freak? Haha, she would, wouldn’t she…? I gawked up when I realized that they were both looking at me weirdly. I was laughing out loud again, wasn’t I? Awkward...

 

“We got out to check if you were there already, but we found two girls going through my bag in the men’s changing room,” Kris replied, giving me an awfully scary and suspicious look that made my heart beat tenfold. Luhan gave me a sideways glance, with the look ‘Is that true?’ I looked down in shame before looking back up again. He took that as a confirmation.

 

“Oh, really?” Luhan smiled, indifferent. He put an arm around my shoulder, making me wince in surprise. “Yeah, sorry, for taking too long. I just ran into Amber at the gym and decided to give her my Valentines’ Day lollipop earlier since it’d be easier on her if no one was around. You know how scary girls are these days,” Luhan said. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped as I blinked at him simultaneously. Luhan gave me a small smile before looking back at Kris. I know I asked him for help, but I didn’t think he’d go that far. He is such a good actor. 

 

Kris looked at me for a second making me feel conscious, before looking back at Luhan again. “That’s yours?” Kris said, indicating to the lollipop in my mouth. “Yeah,” Luhan confirmed. He gave my arm a small squeeze. “Amber was hugging me in thanks,” he added, though I couldn’t help but notice that there was this glint in his eyes that suggested what he just said had another meaning to it. I usually don’t care much about stuff like that, but I was really curious then. Weirdly.

 

“Why? Did you lose anything in your bag?” Luhan arched a brow. Kris looked down first before meeting Luhan’s eyes. “Yeah,” he said. “My lollipop.” Luhan’s lips curved upwards. “Looks like someone’s gonna have to go without candy this year,” he said. “No big deal,” Kris shrugged. I subconsciously stared at him in shock. Someone as cold as him gives out Valentines’ Day lollipops? Maybe he’s not so heartless after all. It made me feel weird though. Someone like him gives out candy and I don’t. It made me feel like I was worse than him.

 

 

I winced a bit when he met my gaze, his eyes sparkling. It was weird because for a moment there, I kind of liked his intense stare and didn’t find them the slightest bit intimidating. In fact, it was almost as if I didn’t want to break the staring competition between us…

His eyes softened and my heart suddenly skipped a beat, which confused me since the whole afternoon, it’s been doing nothing but beat faster.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Word count   994

 

(A/N) It's a short update, neh? **^^

A BIG MASSIVE THANK YOU to the oh-so wonderful Seunii for writing me this amazing one-shot with the one and only Kris despite this cliche plot of mine.

Thanks for all the comments, guys!! *^^

image