Chapter 12

My Bestfriend's Crush

I gawked up for the first time since I got off the bus. I couldn't even pay attention to any of the teachers' instructions. I was still too distracted about what happened the day before and UGH it was just killing me inside.

 

"A-Am," I heard a familiar deep voice call me. "Yeol..." I forced a smile, which was kind of hard because, you know, I was 98% sure my best friend hated my guts. During the three-hour bus ride to the middle of nowhere (which my teachers refer to as 'camping site'), I was able to analyse the whole situation between my drama queen of a best friend and I. So, here's my theory: Krystal hates me. Why? Because of the stupid rumour going on with Kris. Ugh, she is so stupid. Seriously, she should know best just how much I loathe Kris. I mean, all those years of me teasing her and ridiculing her unrequited love for the overgrown idiot should have been a dead giveaway, right? I hated Kris Wu, really. Only...I'm not sure that's completely true as of the late.

 

"I was just...I was hanging out there with Baekkie and you looked kind of...out of it, so..." "Ugh, Yeol, seriously, would you cut it out? Why are you stammering like that? It makes me feel bad, you know!" I cut him off, quite abruptly too, I might add. I was getting frustrated, alright? "Sorry, I just-----You're going out with Kris now and I-----" "Stop, okay? I don't even wanna hear that 'K' word anymore. From now on, that word is taboo, alright?" I snubbed. "What 'K' word? Oh, you mean Kr-----" "TABOO!" I'm not sure this boy knows the meaning of the word 'taboo'. Ergh. "Okay, I'm sorry," he apologised in a hushed tone. "I just wanted to say that Krystal called and said she tried calling you first but for some reason she couldn't reach your number."

My eyes widened at that. She wanted to talk to me?

"Anyways, she's kinda sick right now but she asked me to tell you that she's going to be in the US for the next few days."

"What?"

"She said that her older sister is suddenly getting married to some old guy and she didn't know about it 'til the day before yesterday, so yeah, it was kinda rushed, I guess..." By the end of his monologue, Yeollie was already scratching the back of his head oh-so cutely but I didn't really pay much attention to that because HECK YEAH I'm still cool with my best friend. Whoop whoop! VICTORY DANCE AWH YEAH.

 

"Thanks, Yeollie, you're like, the bestest best that ever best-ed!" I hugged him tightly, which seemed to caught him kinda off guard. I let go and leaned back to look at his flabbergasted face. "Wanna tent with me?" I asked. "Uhm, Am, we already got assigned partners," Yeol pouted. Oh, right. I'm with that jerkass whose name must not be mentioned. What a sad life I lead.

 

 

 

 

Shortly after that little episode, the teachers and camp instructors sent us off to fend for ourselves set up camp. I walked off, not even caring about my assigned partner. Haha, get it? -igned? Ugh, nevermind. Anyway, I'm not sure at which point Kris was able to spot me out because before I knew it he was already right next to me and wordlessly started putting the tent up. I had no idea how to put tents up, so I kinda just let him be while I sorted out our cooking utensils and other necessities like torches and canned food and things like that. Maybe it's because we just put our heads down and did our respective jobs but we finished setting up quite early because the other groups (who were, like, ten metres away from us) were still getting sorted themselves. An awkward silence ensued between the monster and I as we sat inside our little tent, only inches from touching.

 

"I'm sorry," he spoke up. Goddammit, Kris Wu, why do you have to ruin the perfect little moment of quiet? I pulled my knees up and wrapped my arms around my legs, looking down on the ground. "Would you at least look at me?" Trust me, I wanted to, but I felt like if I did, my heart would kaboom into a million tiny pieces considering the fact that it was beating at an abnormally fast pace already.

"Do you really hate me so much that you don't even wanna look at me?" I don't know why, but the way that Kris Wu said that made me feel like a part of me just died. From immense guilt. I suddenly looked up, and the hurt that flashed across his eyes just as he turned to look away did not help my poor, poor heart.

"I-----"

The teachers called us out for dinner before I could even say a word, and Kris Wu immediately left me alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh my God, it's so pretty!" I awed like I've never seen a view of a lake from the top of a mountain before. Well, I haven't. It's so pretty, that it was almost worth the two-hour hike. Almost.

 

 

"Do you know how feminine you look when you're like that?" I spun around like a ninja on stealth mode only to be greeted by one of Xi Luhan's trademark smile. "What are you saying? That I look like a man when I'm doing anything else? Because you're right, I do look like a guy," I hairflicked, completely ignoring him and turning to my beautiful scenery again. He laughed before walking up to stand next to me. "You're so weird, Amber," he said, shaking his head in amusement. "Yeah, you're a pretty strange cookie too, Lulu," I took it as a compliment. He chuckled then draped an arm around me, which completely COMPLETELY ruined the mood omg. "Dude, what the heck?" I tried to move away but I couldn't. Welp. "Let's take a selca," he said. And then I saw that he was holding his phone on his other hand at an angle, the second camera faced to us. Oh, okay. Luhan looked so kawaii desu just slightly smiling. I held out a peace sign next to my sweaty, tired and ugly face. He took the photo and then I wriggled myself free from his hold. He held the phone down so I could take a look at it. "What the heck, bro? You look even prettier than me!" I retorted, earning a laugh. "What are you talking about?" he chortled, slightly messing hair. "Ugh, you always ruin my hair!" I shooed his hand away and fixed what he messed up. He didn’t even look the least bit guilty and just laughed what I said off. "Whatever. Besides, my goal is to look like a y beast, not pretty," I told him matter-of-factly, which made him ROFL again.

 

"You're so adorable, Am," he wiped a tear from laughing too much once he's settled down. "This is why you're so irresistible." “What-----?” Oh God. Oh God oh God oh God. What is he doing. Why is he leaning his face forward towards my face. What. No. Stahp. Staaah------

 

The next thing I knew, I was in a familiar, warm and comfortable embrace; identical to that which I shared with Kris Wu.

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Word count     1,235

 

(A/N) Hi, guys! ^_^ It's been a year and ten months so bear with me through this just a little bit more...

Okay so actually, I had this chapter written up for months now but I've been delaying updating it due to the fact that I couldn't decide what would happen after it, then after a while I just lost momentum. :/

I know I've been an evil and incompetent writer so far and I honestly don't know what else to say but I'M SORRY T^T and I have no idea what I did to deserve awesome subbies like you and THANK YOU for staying and being patient until now. I promise on my everlasting Krisber love that future updates will be much more efficient.

I love you xx (and I mean this in a sisterly-totally-non-homo way) ♥