Chapter 9

My Bestfriend's Crush

“I’ll be waiting for Kris after school today. Don’t wait up!”

 

I walked down the hallway, my sneakers squeaked as it hit the floor. Tch. That should’ve been my line. And no, before you get your hopes up and let your imagination go berserk by thinking I’ve really fallen for the jerk because of the recent Prince-Kris-with-cherry-blossom daydreams I’ve been having, well I haven’t. I didn’t mean the ‘waiting for Kris’ part, just the ‘don’t wait up’ bit.

 

It turns out that I ended up signing up for the art club this year after all. The club leader was Victoria-eonni. She’s the eldest girl in our year level, so she’s always been the pretty and kind eonni. I dropped a few of my work at the art room as samples, even though she literally had a spazz attack at my face in joy when I told her I wanted to join.

 

She said something along the lines of, “Oh, Amber-bear, that’s amazing! I never thought this day would come!” and then she went on about how she’s been trying so hard to convince me for years blah blah blah yap yap yap. She bear-hugged me so tight I almost thought for a second there that I’d just faint due to lack of oxygen. Seriously, who would’ve thought she had such strength? But then when she finally got over it, she started thinking clearly again. "Why the sudden change of heart? she asked. Kris. Yes, that’s what-----or who-----went through my mind as soon as she asked the question, much to my dismay and annoyance. Even until now, I shiver at the thought that I actually thought of the little bastard that way. I didn’t say anything and just shrugged. Eonni pulled me in for another hug, but this time softer. "You don't have to tell me," she said. "But whatever's responsible for this change, make sure to keep it!"

I reached my locker and sighed as I paused in front of it. Keep it? Trust me, I would if I could. Wait, what? No, scratch that. Pretend I didn’t say that. Pretend I didn’t even think that. Kris is for Krystal. Krystal is for Kris. They like each other and although Kris is a complete retard, I’m willing to support them because that’s the kind of amazing and benevolent friend I am. KryRis. I’ll ship them to the ends of the earth. Like Romeo and Juliet, or Shrek and Fiona.

 

I opened my locker and a rose was left on top of a small piece of paper. I gasped for whatever air was. Secret admirer...? I took the rose and sniffed it with a smile before opening the letter.

 

The Valentines' Day Lollipop comes later. For now, this is for you.

 

It was his handwriting. His pretty, cursive handwriting. A smile crept up on my lips as I lifted the note up to the high ceiling. Then, I noticed, that there were ink marks behind the paper too. I flipped it over.

 

I'll give it to you in person.

 

 

 

I held the rose close tomy pounding chest; just like how I held my breath. What the heck? Is he serious right now? After ten freaking years of hiding in the shadows, me trying to bust his and him creeping around the place, leaving notes, lollies and roses like a ninja, he’s finally going to come out voluntarily. Has he finally gotten tired of this little game we’re playing or has he finally realised how frustrating it must have been for me and deicded to get a heart? I didn’t really know and I couldn’t really tell. It was kinda sad though. I always fantasized about how I’d seize him myself and thought it was much more fun and exciting that way, but then he comes along and ruins my plans. Ugh. Oh well.

 I’m finally going to meet my secret admirer. Krystal’s one-sided crush in Kris that lasted seven years turned out to not be a one-sided crush after all. He…liked her too…

 

It was like the perfect Valentine’s Day my best friend and I had been waiting all our lives for. I should’ve been happy; I know. 

But for some reason, I wasn’t at all.

 

I pulled my own Valentine’s Day lollipop out of my pocket and stared at it for a while. I was still wondering why no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t seem to eat the damned lolly. I couldn’t bring myself to eat it just like how I’ve been doing for the last three years. It felt like someone needed it more than me, which is crazy of course. It’s a lollipop. A heart-shaped lollipop that they sell in bags of a hundred for $20 every Valentine’s Day at the local super market. Like, seriously, who’d need a lollipop that much?

 

I turned around when I felt a presence creeping up from behind me. Luhan was standing there with his big doe-like eyes fixated on me. He smiled as he hung his bag over one shoulder and I found myself grinning back. “Going home?” he asked. “Nah, not yet,” I replied. He chuckled prettily. “Okay then, me too,” he said, walking closer towards me. I blinked at him twice. “Wha…?” I raised a brow. “I wanna walk you home today. Besides, you’re a girl. What if something bad happens to you?” he said. I gave him a ‘HA-HA-HA-YOU-ARE-SO-FUNNY-YOU-CRACK-ME-UP-HA-HA-HA’ sarcastic look. He pouted in confusion, looking all cute and stuff. “Yeah, right, like anyone’s gonna try anything funny on me,” I snorted, squeezing my massive biceps. “My arms are as thick as…” What’s a good example of something thick? Oh stuff it. Whatever. “They’re thick. The end.” I said. Luhan laughed and I wrinkled my nose at him. “You’re so cute!” he messed up my hair with an eye smile. Look who’s talking. I combed my short hair with my fingers and looked at him in gratitude. Again.

 

I exhaled through my mouth. “Look, I just wanna say thanks for yesterday. If you hadn’t been there to catch me, I would certainly--most definitely--have…died?” I muttered under my breath. What the heck was that. Why did it sound like there was a question mark at the end of my sentence? And why the hell did I use the word ‘die’?! Luhan cracked up laughing first before looking at me with his round eyes. His lips slowly formed into a smile. “No problem,” he said. I bit my bottom lip. That is it.

 

“There you go again!” I sighed exasperatedly. “It’s not 'no problem'.” I suddenly spoke out what I was thinking because I’m a retard who doesn’t use her brains. I couldn’t catch myself fast enough to close my stupid, loose mouth, so I just bit my lip. Luhan waited for me to go on, a slight mix of confusion was evident in his eyes. Oh crap. I just made things awkward. How to make awkward situations not awkward? Wait, lemme get my phone to google it. Oh damn, no time for that. I mentally cursed myself.

 

“I…uh, if there’s anything I can repay you, then just tell me." I sounded like an utter nincompoop. I bet it would’ve turned out 100000000000x better if I hadn’t said anything at all.

 

“Why are you talking to me like we’re strangers? I don’t count stuff like that,” he said. “Psh, don’t flatter yourself. It’s not you I care about; it’s me, duh. I’ll feel better that way,” I retaliated. Luhan chuckled softly under his breath then sighed softly. He knew he was never going to win against the Amber Liu, so what’s the point in even trying? Stupid boy. He reached down the bottom of his pocket and handed me a red, heart-shaped lollipop. I stared at the thing like it was some sort of mucked-up piece of something I’ve never seen in my life before. “Fine then, since you’re so annoyingly stubborn. You can repay me by taking this,” he said. “Wha…?” I mumbled, for some reason, my usual sarcastically delicious remarks caught in my throat. “I wanted to give it to you in person,” he smiled. I opened my mouth but no words came out. Hold up a sec. Wait, WHUT?

 

I’ll give it to you in person… I wanted to give it to you in person…

 

I clenched the rose tightly. “Aw, crap---!” I looked down on my bleeding finger. Nice move, Am. Completely forgetting about the rose thorns was real smooth. Told you I don’t use my brains. “Amber, are you okay?” Luhan grabbed my hand gently but firmly. I got goosebumps from his touch. I stared at his worried face as he softly blew his warm breath on my finger. I held my breath. Go away! Take your stupid cute eyes away with you. Oh no, this ain’t good.

 

I yanked my hand free and started jogging down the hallway to get the heck away from him. “Amber!” I heard him call my name. “I’m fine! Go home. I’m just gonna go wash this off!” I stammered. I heard him say something else but I was too far away to hear already.

 

I totally lied. I didn’t stop running until I was out at the back of the school. I collapsed on the ground and leaned on the wall, gasping for whatever air I could gather. I gazed at the lollipop Luhan gave me.

 

Are Luhan and my Secret Admirer…?!

 

HAHAHAHAH WHAT THE HECK PSH NO FREAKING WAY WHY AM I SO RANDOM AND HILARIOUS THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE HAHAHAHAH LOLOLOLOLOLOL Luhan’s not the type to do stuff like that, and of all people, to me. There’s a long line of girls waiting in queue who would die for him to date them in a heartbeat. The chances are so slim it might as well just be categorized as ‘impossible’. I put his lollipop in my pocket and I pulled my one out. I bowed my head down and stared at the ground blankly. SIGH. Really, what’s wrong with me…?

 

I shot up when I felt something sticky and incredibly uncomfortable on my finger. “Kris…?!” I gawked up. He was crouching down just inches away from me, putting a plaster on my bleeding finger. He was actually there with the bleeding, sweaty me, fixing the cut up while he’s at it. “Why do you always look like you just saw a ghost whenever you see me?” he asked in monotone, a hint of annoyance in his focused eyes as he worked on my finger. Because, Mr. Wufan, I would’ve expected you to be with Krystal at this very moment, eating strawberry ice cream at the park or walking hand-in-hand by the Han river like they do in cheesy, old cliché dramas.

 

“What?” Kris looked up at me with those stupid, stupid sparkling eyes of his. “What?” I echoed. “You just said something about ice cream and the Han riv------“ “I said nothing.” I cut him off. But I said something. I knew I said something. Actually, I said everything. You see, I have these moments where I think I’m thinking it when in reality, I’m actually saying it out loud. It happened so many times before that now I know how to get out of it: By pretending I didn’t say anything. Kris gave me one last melting glance before busying himself with my finger again. Why is it taking him so long to put a flipping bandage?

 

His blonde hair was swept to the side, his jaw tight and clenched, his nose so perfectly aligned with the top of his pink lips…

 

Damnit, I have got to stop looking at his face like that. I feel like a derp-faced stalker. I looked away. My heart…was dying to jump out of my chest. “You really should be more careful,” he said, looking up at me. “I am,” I told him, irritated. How come everyone’s telling me to be more careful recently…? “Yeah, well, not careful enough,” he countered. I so BADLY wanted to roll my eyes in mock, but because I had perfect self-control thanks to the disciplinary classes my mother made me take when I was 9 for beating up that kid older than me by 4 years who lived across the street for stealing my hard-earned Halloween candy, I didn’t. I swallowed hard and looked at the ground.

 

“Oh yeah, well, I so knew that this stupid, pretty rose still had thorns and just casually pricked myself with it ‘cause, you know, I thought it might be a fun thing to do,” I rolled my eyes, waving the thing up. “Tell me seriously, Amber, do you have any suicidal tendencies that you’d like to bleed to death like this?” he said. I arched a brow. He can talk smart. Instead of getting annoyed by being pawned by him, I actually found it hilarious and started laughing my off. But then I stopped when I realized he was laughing too, and in fact, in an even prettier way than I was, butterflies started doing flips and turns in my stomach. I cleared my throat and looked away so that he wouldn’t see my face flush red.

 

Kris stopped laughing too, which a teeny-tiny incy-wincy part of me felt sad about. I turned back once I thought it was ‘safe’. He bit his lip but said nothing as he whispered something like “So it’s my fault then,” but I wasn’t entirely 100% sure. All of a sudden, he got up from his seat. He’s leaving…?!

 

“Kris!” I practically jumped to my feet. He looked down on me with expecting eyes because he was a good head and a half taller than I was. I clenched my jaw as I gathered all the strength I had in me.

 

“Here,” I said, holding out my lollipop. WHAT AM I DOING WHAT AM I DOING WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING. Someone please pull me back into reality. Kris looked at the lollipop with slightly widened eyes then he searched my face for answers. I felt my face burn for a while there. “It’s a thank you gift,” I told him, all of a sudden insecure because he would not stop staring. “You know, for the bandage,” I said because I was too chicken to say the real reason.

 

In my surprise, he actually took the lollipop from my hand and examined it, leaving me jaw-dropped. He shifted his gaze to me and I just froze. “Thanks,” he said, giving me the warmest of smiles. Well, I’ll be damned. Kris ‘The Almighty’ Wu accepted my lollipop. First of all, I hadn’t expected him to even take it, let alone be able to utter the word ‘thanks’. So, yeah, you can probably imagine how retarded I looked right there and then.

 

“H-hey, what the-----!” He put his strong arm around my waist and pulled me in for a hug. As you would know, I’m not the type to take these things lightly. I should’ve screamed, threw a tantrum and swore using every swear word in my vocabulary, but for some twisted-up reason, I didn’t. I just let him and stayed completely still.

 

“5 seconds,” he whispered, his warm breath on my hair. “Just for 5 seconds, let’s stay like this. Please?”

How can I say no to that?

 

I got on my tippy-toes and placed my arms around his neck to pull myself up. Fine thenSince I’m so generous and caring, I’ll let you off just this once, Kris Wu. Besides, surely one hug won’t hurt, right? Take it as a thank you for giving me the courage I’ve been needing for a long time.

 

At that time, I tried to ignore the fact that being in his arms felt nice and safe and warm. 

 

 

 

Because there’s still Krystal to think about.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What the heck?!” I fumed, tossing and turning under on my bed. Does no one respect the fact that I still have 15 minutes in heaven left before I have to get ready for another day in hell? “I need you and you want me, zai zhe ke lan se xing ti, oh oh~” My phone had been ringing off the hook since dawn. Every every everyday, wo chuang zao de HISTORY~” Damn them. Damn everyone. Why is my life so sad?

 

I grabbed my phone and squinted my eyes at an attempt to look at the screen. A message from some dude in my History class, another dude from my Chemistry class, a girl from my Social Studies Class and another dude from my English class. Miss Popular, all of a sudden? Nah, it’s probably some stupid gossip spreading again. I pressed on view. “Daebak.” It said. I opened the attached file that went along with the stupid message.

 

 

 

And just like that, all the sleepiness and laziness went away and I ended up throwing my phone to the other side of the room like it was contaminated by E.Coli.

 

 

 

 

 

Kris Wu and Amber Liu yesterday after school, getting too close for comfort.

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Word count   2,854 (wow, that is a lot of words for meeh...)

 

(A/N) Long time no update, yeah? Hehe, sorry about that. T^T

It’s just that the term’s ending so I’ve been busy with assessments and ended up reading Krisber fics rather than writing mine lol. It’s really all I have time for. (-.-)

PLEASE DON’T LEAVE AND STILL LOVE ME~

Ooh, and the KrisBer one-shot thing? I seemed to have confused you, haha. I’m planning to put up a one-shot collection and I was just wondering if you guys would like that :P

Okay, to make things easier, just answer this poll. Mkay? THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU!