Prologue

My Bestfriend's Crush

February 7, 2005

 

 

 

Krystal and her best friend Amber were playing on the school benches near the year 5 playground area. They were trying to see who could get from one side of the bench to the other without falling and with the best time. “Krystal, there's a spider on your head and it's making  a nest for its hundreds of tiny little spider babies!” Amber gasped at the latter, who was full of concentration as she balanced her way on the wooden planks to get to the other side. “Hey, that's cheating! Amber, stop trying to distract me!” Krystal whined be fore hearing a giggle from behind her. She knew exactly what Amber was trying to do. Krystal was doing a pretty good job, until she lost her balance and stepped with the wrong foot, causing her to fall over.

 

But instead of meeting the ground like she expected to, she found herself in the arms of the boy with the cold eyes but warm embrace. He looked at her for a split second before he gawked up at someone who he found far more interesting to look at, and it took a while before Krystal could find the sense to realise that her best friend who frantically ran to her aid was already standing right next to her. She was too mesmerized by his eyes that weren’t even looking at her. He let Krystal go without even stealing a mere glance at her, because he was all eyes on Krystal’s best friend who was too preoccupied trying to ask her is she was alright or not to notice. After what seemed like forever, he finally looked at Krystal. She held her breath as his eyes bored into hers.

 

“If you can’t play a game as stupid as this without hurting someone, then don’t play at all,” he spoke in monotone, stealing a quick glance again at Amber who looked incredibly ridiculed and speechless before walking off ever-so coolly.

“Huh! Well, that wasn't very nice,” Amber huffed as her eyes followed on his back in a glare until he was completely out of sight. "Have you ever met a boy so mean before?" She turned to her best friend who was still gaping at the direction he went. “Krystal, are you okay? You didn’t hit your head, did you?” Amber bombarded her with questions, worried. “Amber,” Krystal said, completely out of it. "Did you see…how pretty his eyes looked?”

 

 

 

Amber looked at her friend like she was crazy but decided not to press the matter on because she thought it was just a momentary state of insanity, when in fact Krystal had already completely fallen in love with Kris Wu; The boy with the cold eyes but warm embrace.