Undiscovered Talent

Living On the Block

 

The lyrics used in this chapter is from Coldplay's song "Yellow" :]

 


 

 

Sam POV

   The dorm was quiet. It was just me. After my mom and I were done unpacking, she took off to the Brand New Stardom building to get set up and shown around. Leaving me to fend for myself until the boys got home. Which was fine, I needed time to myself anyway. 

   I wandered around the place, trying to get a feel of how everything was. It was definitely a laid back aura.... The hampers by the washer and dryer were over flowing with dirty clothes and scattered onto the floor, there were dishes piled up in the kitchen sink (I wouldn't be surprised if there were different kinds of insects galore in there), and the food inside the fridge looked inedible, to say the least. Way past expiration. It was like a breeding ground for spores and bacteria. 

   "I am not cleaning that up, that's for damn sure." I mumbled to myself and closed the fridge before I got mold poisoning. But this will be cleaned up. I thought.

   It would be a couple hours before the boys would come home. What could I do for two hours? I checked the cabinets in the kitchen, very cautiously. Roaches in the sink, mold in the fridge- who knew what was hiding in there. Once I was sure that the coast was clear, I checked its contents and was satisfied by what I found.

   I grabbed the boxed cake mix and stepped down from the chair I used to get a better look. I was starting to feel a bit more happier once I found a clean mixing bowl. But once I took a look on the back of the packaging, my spirits deflated. I doubted that they had good eggs, milk, cupcake liners, and frosting. But I decided to take a look anyways. 

   To my surprise, I found all of everything I needed. And the eggs and milk were still fresh! Maybe there was hope for this place after all. I got to my baking and once I put the cupcakes into the oven, I had more time to kill. 

   I wouldn't dare go sit on the couch until it was thoroughly vacuumed out. The only place I knew that was safe was my room. So I stalked off after setting the oven timer and sat on the bed. I looked around. My gaze finally landed on my guitar case sitting in the corner of the room. I face palmed. Why didn't I think of that sooner?

   I got out my sleek ebony Gibson and sat on the bed with her sitting in my lap. I closed my eyes and let my fingers press slightly on the fret board. I strummed the strings with my right hand and let the G major ring out. And an entire song came out of it.

   The oven timer went off in the kitchen. I flinched at the shrill noise and quickly set my guitar gingerly on her back and set off to the kitchen.

   I took the cupcakes out and prepped them to be frosted. The pink frosting made me drool. I had barely eaten anything that day. I sneaked a couple spoonfuls of it before frosting the actually cupcakes.... I gave Taeil's an obviously large amount and set it aside. Of course I had to make his special! I smiled, thinking of something cheesy to say when I give it to him. "I wish I had sprinkles..." 

   I left the cupcakes on the counter and went back to my guitar. I practiced for a good hour and a half before I heard the front door open and close, footsteps and chattering signalling the arrival of the boys for the day. But I thought nothing of it, I continued to play a song dear to my heart.

   "Your skin, oh yeah you're skin and bones.
   Turn in-to something beautiful.
   And you know, you know I love you so.
   You know I love you so."
   I must have been strumming pretty hard, because when I felt the presence of others in the room, I immediately froze.  I didn't look up at any of them. I simply just stood with my guitar and put her away into her beaten up old case. 
   When I turned around I just smiled at them like nothing happened. "Welcome home, guys."
   Zico was smiling like an idiot. "Hey, you're good!"
   "Another musician in the house!" P.O. declared "Taeil, Jaehyo, I think you guys have some competition!" 
   I rolled my eyes and pushed past them. "I made a little something for you guys. Just to say thanks for letting me live here." I changed the subject, and thankfully they all followed along. I held up the platter of pink frosted cupcakes with a tiny smile.
   "Alright, cupcakes!"
   "You're the best!"
   "She's definitely a keeper."
   They all snatched one from the plate, but I stopped Taeil before he grabbed one. "No no, Taeil! I have a special one for you." I set the plate down.
   "Oh...you didn't have to do that..." He said, looking a little bashful. The others raised an eyebrow and started to interject.
   "Why does he get a special one?" U-kwon pouted.
   "Because he's Taeil." I snapped back. I presented the cupcake with extra frosting decoratively swirled on top. "There's more on this one, because you're so sweet!" I smiled just as sweetly. I kind of prided myself on kissing major . One of my special abilities, I suppose.
   He took it shyly and smiled. "Thanks." 
   So cute! I gushed in my thoughts.
   P.O. put his arm around Taeil. "Hey hyung, wanna trade?" He raised his eyebrows up and down in a convincing way.
   I swatted Jihoon's head with a kitchen towel.
   "Hey! What was that for?" He complained.
   "Eat your cupcake." I ordered. He just smirked and some of the icing off the top of his cupcake.
   "So..." Zico said from the couch. "Can we hear you play again?"
   "Yeah! I want to hear you sing more." Jaehyo said with a mouthful of cake. 
   "Swallow. Before you choke." I twisted the towel in my hands. His eyes grew wide and he swallowed immediately.
   "Listen guys, I love to play my guitar and sing...just not in front of people." That was my downfall. It always has been. My lack of confidence in that area is screwing me over. My dream of becoming a famous musician could never come true, and all because I'm a big chicken in front of a crowd. I looked down at the floor and rocked back and forth on my feet awkwardly. "Just forget all about it." I waved it off, now in a bad mood.
   Taeil kinda nudged me with his elbow. "I could help you overcome your fear of singing in public, if that's the case."
   I was touched that my Taeil would suggest that. I smiled sullenly. "Thanks Tae, but I don't think you could help me." I looked at the time on my phone and sighed. "I'm heading to bed now. Jet lag..." I stalked off to my room and changed into my pajamas. I let out a deep sigh as I relaxed into the mattress. 
   My eyelids were slowly starting to descend and I began slipping into sleep, until my door creaked open to let in a sliver of light from the hallway. Before I could do anything, someone jumped onto my bed and snatched the covers away from me.
   "Hey!" I exclaimed and sat up. I looked up at Zico standing over me and gave him an annoyed look.
   "I'm going to help you." He stated simply. 
   "Me too." A very low voice came from the side of my bed. Suddenly P.O. popped up and rested his chin on the bed. "We heard you. You're talented. We're gonna help you."
   "And who else better than the rappers to help you with confidence?" Zico said with a cocky smirk.
   I raised my eyebrow and crossed my arms in front of me. "What about Kyung?"
   Zico looked toward the door. "I don't know. He said he was coming."
   "Bathroom." P.O. stated.
   "Oh..." Zico shrugged. "Anyway, we're going to do whatever it takes to make sure you can preform live."
   "It's gonna be daebak!" P.O. exclaimed, a little too excitedly. 
   "Ok, ok, ok! Just get out! I'm tired as hell!" I pulled the covers over myself again. "And tomorrow you guys are doing extreme cleaning. Good night." I laid back down before they could argue about it and closed my eyes.
   "Aw, cleaning? Lame." Zico said. I felt him jump off and they both left.
   I sighed into the pillow. They can try. But they probably won't succeed. I thought. Suddenly the lights came on and I sat up again. "Kyung?"
   Kyung stood in the doorway. "Did they already leave?" He said in disbelief.
   I nodded. "Yeah, sorry..."
   "Damnit!" He turned the light back off and closed the door behind him.
   I shook my head, rolling my eyes. I'm going to get really close with these guys, aren't I?