Birthday Date

Living On the Block

 

This one's a bit short...I'm tired and all I feel like doing is watching Block B Match up again v_v So enjoy this part and part 2 will be up shortly ;]

 


 

 

Sam POV

 

   It has been approximately three weeks since moving in with the Blockheads. And today...is my birthday.

   I woke up and stared up at the ceiling. The first thought that came into my mind was It's my eighteenth birthday. And my mom's not even here. Every year, my mom would come into my room, jump into bed next to me and tickle me awake shouting "Today's the day I gave birth to you!" Then we'd go to breakfast somewhere, order a huge stack of pancakes (except for the year we spent in France. Then it was crepes.) and then we'd go see a movie. Every year she took that day off. But seeing as though she's never been to the dorm since we came here, I made an assumption that she's working through our whole stay.
   I sighed and sat up, dangling my legs over the side of the bed. I looked around the room. Her haul of CDs were still scattered in a big bag in the corner of the room. Her creepy poster of Robert Downy Jr. was still rolled up and lying against the wall. Her mini suitcase full of novels looked lonely sitting alone in the closet. I miss my mommy... I thought, feeling like a child again.
   I walked out of my room, still in my pajamas (a t-shirt I got from Sea World and black work out pants) and wrapped in a throw blanket, and threw myself onto the couch. I sat there for awhile, not even turning on the TV. Just staring at the floor. I've never had a disappointing birthday before. Now I just felt like staying on the couch all day, curling up in a blanket and sleeping seventeen away.
   I didn't even bother looking up when I heard someone come into the living room. That someone sat next to me and the TV. I must've looked like a zombie.
 
P.O. POV
 
   When I woke up I heard someone shuffling into the living room. I looked around the room. It was none of the hyungs. I took a look at my phone. It was seven thirty in the morning. None of the hyungs would be up this early! 
   I slid out of bed, curiosity getting the better of me. I rubbed my eyes as I walked into the living room. I was surprised to see Sam sitting on the couch, a blanket wrapped around her, staring at the floor. What was wrong with her? She's never up this early, and I've never seen her so out of it. It's like the totally checked out.
   I walked over and sat next to her. Maybe she'd acknowledge me then and say something. Still nothing. I looked at her with a worried expression. She just stared down at the floor. I grabbed the TV remote and turned it on. The news was on, but I didn't change it. I just wanted to see if I could get a reaction out of her. I don't think she even knew it was me sitting next to her. If she did know, she would've said something snarky and move to a different spot.
   I poked her thigh. No response. Now I was really starting to worry. If I would've done that any other day, she would've slapped me or shoved me away. I nudged her with my elbow. She shifted in her spot, but nothing else. I put my hand on her shoulder softly. "Sam?"
   "Hmm?" She still stared at the floor. 
   "You ok?" I leaned forward and tried to make eye contact. 
   She nodded and finally looked my way. "Sorry. I just...don't feel myself today..." She rubbed her eyes and bought her knees up to her chest. "I might just go back to sleep for the rest of the day." She leaned on my shoulder with a sigh.
   She was leaning on my shoulder! Actual affectionate contact! But that meant something was really wrong. This wasn't Sam. "You can't sleep the whole day. The hyungs and I have the whole day off, we can do something!" 
   She shook her head. "I just don't feel like it..." I felt something vibrate next to me. Sam stirred and reached past me to grab her phone from the arm rest. Her face lit up when she looked at who was calling. "Hold on, P.O., I have to take this." She grinned and pressed the phone to her ear.
 
 
Sam POV
 
"Mommy!" I felt a little ridiculous calling her that in front of P.O., but I missed her so much I didn't even care.
   "Hi sweetie! Happy birthday, eighteen year old! God, I feel like an old woman now." I haven't heard her voice in what felt like forever, I felt my heart squeeze with longing. She was my only family, she was all I had. And now her job, like usual, was keeping her away. But she sounded upbeat and happy like always. Though I did spot a hint of exhaustion in her voice.
   "Mom, are you taking off...?" I asked skeptically. "It is tradition after all..."
   "I am so sorry, baby, I really can't. I've been so busy. You know how stressful it is for me the start of a new job." She sounded sincerely disappointed, which made me feel sincerely disappointed. "I promise, my next day off I will take you out just the two of us. We'll go to...the Hello Kitty cafe in Seoul! I know how badly you've been wanting to go." 
   I smiled somberly. "Alright..." I sighed, looking down at the floor again. There goes tradition. 
   I could hear a lot of bustling noise in the background. "Oh jeez, I have to go now, Sammy. I promise you we will do something. I love you, happy birthday!" She hung up, leaving me to sulk in my disappointment.
   I let my phone drop into my lap. I felt like crying, but I was suddenly very aware of P.O.'s presence and I became self conscious. I glanced over at him. He was watching TV, looking like he was just minding his own business. But I could tell he was dying to know. "My mom...I thought she was going to be off today..."
   He gave me a sympathetic look. "So she's not?"
   I shook my head. "We were supposed to do fun stuff today..." I decided not to tell him that it was my birthday. I just wanted this day to end. I would tell them tomorrow.
   P.O. cocked his head to the side. "Well...we could do fun stuff. The hyungs, you and me can go to the mall or something. We have the day off today." He smiled, already excited.
   I hesitated. I didn't feel like doing anything now. "That's a really nice gesture but-"
   "But nothing! We're going to take you out today. A date out with Block B. Lucky you." He put his arm around me, and I moved away.
   "And what if I don't want to?" I said, raising my eyebrow.
   "We will make you." 
   "What if I just don't get ready?" I threatened.
   "Then I'll dress you myself." He grinned and wriggled his eyebrows. 
   I moved away even more. "I'll get ready now..." I walked away quickly, not looking back. While getting dressed (I made sure my door was closed FULLY. I even put a warning sign on my door that says to knock before entering), I thought about what today might be like. My whole life I've spent my birthday with my mom only. Not even with friends. I was skeptical that the guys will help my birthday be any better. But it'll help them to get out and have fun, so who am I to take that away from them? I'll just stand back and let them have fun.
   I stepped out of my room wearing a floral romper, white wedges, and a straw fedora. Once in the living room, I saw the group all ready and excited to go. I stood there, unenthusiastically. "I see we're all psyched to go..."
   "Hell yeah! We haven't been out in so long!" Kyung said.
   "And you're going to have fun too." Zico said, reaching out to grab my arm.
   I flinched away from him. I still didn't feel comfortable around him since that day he saw me topless. "I hope I do..." I said, rubbing my arm awkwardly.
   Zico reeled his hand in. "You will." I had a feeling he was a little uncomfortable too, but he was trying. I guess I should try too.
   I sighed and slid my heart shaped sunglasses on. "Let's do this thing..." I said, taking the lead and walking out first. 

Taeil needs more parts...