Move Along

Living On the Block

   I waited in the living room for P.O. to return. I didn't know where he went, and it was getting me worried. I tried texting him, calling him, but he wouldn't respond, I sat there on the couch, knees up to my chest and my chin resting on them. I checked my phone regularly, checking for any response. I didn't get any.

   I watched as the sun started to set. My anxiety didn't get any better. I wringed my hands in my lap, thinking the worse. "What if he's dead? What if someone kidnapped him and took him somewhere? It's all my fault." I held my face in my hands.

   I heard someone enter the room, and I looked up to see Taeil sitting down next to me. He put his hand on my shoulder. "I'm sure he's fine." he tried to comfort me.

   "What if some crazed fan poisoned him? Oh God, I'm the worst girlfriend..." I mumbled through my hands.

   "You are fine, he's the one that's overreacting. He's young and selfish. He wants you to be with him all the time, and be here when he gets home like some housewife."

   I looked up at him. "What would you do if you were in his situation?" I asked.

   We locked eye contact. "I'd be here for you, be happy for your success."

   I scoffed. "Be honest. Don't just tell me something I want to hear."

   He looked down. "Alright, I guess I'd be a little upset."

   "A little?" I raised an eyebrow.

   "Taeil hesitated. "Alright...I'd be very upset. But I wouldn't show it in front of you. I wouldn't stress you out over my selfishness."

   I thought back when I went to the hospital because of my anxiety attack. That's different, it wasn't his fault. Well, he didn't help the situation either...I shook the thought out of my head. "But don't you deserve to tell me how you feel?"

   "You've been through enough, Sam. You don't need a boy doing this to you."

   I rubbed the nape of my neck. I didn't want this sympathy. The only one that ever showed their true feelings around me since my mom's death was Jihoon. That's what I liked. Even when the things he did were heartbreaking. It was true, he was young and selfish, but so was I. And two selfish people didn't belong together.

   Taeil patted my knee and kissed my temple before leaving me to my waiting.

 

~~~

 

   As the sun went down, my eyelids got heavier. I drifted off to sleep over time. Until I heard the door creak open and shut. I shot up, rubbing my eyes and squinting to make out the silhouette in the dark room. "Jihoon?"

   P.O. walked toward me, taking off his jacket. "What are you doing in the dark?"

   I hesitated. "I fell asleep. And it was still light out when I was awake."

   "Why didn't you just go to your room and sleep?"

   I rubbed my upper arm. "Because I was waiting for you."

   He sighed, rubbing his face. He stepped toward me and wrapped his arms around my neck, pulling my face into his chest. "I'm sorry."

   I wrapped my arms around his stomach and held onto him tightly. "Don't ever make me worry like that again."

   "I'm sorry," he repeated, mumbling into my hair.

   "You know I have to take this opportunity," I said, referring to my recording.

   He nodded. "I know."

   "Are you okay with it?"

   He hesitated. "I...don't know."

   I nodded. "Okay...that's fine." I took a deep breath in. "But I'm going to do it no matter what."

   "I know."

   We stood like this for awhile in the darkness. The others had gone to bed a long time ago, so we didn't worry about them walking in on us. 

   Finally Jihoon spoke up. "We're not going to be together for as long as we hoped, are we?"

   I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. I shook my head. "No."

   He squeezed me tighter, then turned me loose. Looking down at me with a frown, he said, "So, is this it?"

   I couldn't look him in the eye. I could feel my eyes glistening with tears, my throat tightening. "I guess so." A tear rolled down my cheek. I had to get out of there, away from him. Staying in his presence would only make it harder. I gave him one last sorrowful look and ran straight to my room, locking the door behind me.

   A moment later I heard his footsteps coming closer, and finally stopped at my door. He knocked softly. "Sam," he said, testing the doorknob to see if it would turn. It didn't. He knocked a little louder, twisting to knob over and over again. "Sam, just open up." More twisting and knocking. "Sam, please," he begged.

   I hugged my knees tight to my chest as I leaned against my pillows, listening to P.O. scratch at the door like a desperate puppy. It took all of my strength and self control to resist the urge to throw open the door and hug him and never let go. But that wouldn't do us any good. So I sat there, listening and biting my lip.

   "Sam! Open up!" He was banging on the door now. I'm sure the others could hear, but keeping to themselves for this one. He twisted the knob more and more, banging harder. "We can't do this now! Just give us more time!"

   I bit down on my lip so hard I started to taste metal. Even then I didn't stop. I squeezed my eyelids shut and tried to  drown him out.

   "Sam, we need each other! Don't do this to us," he pleaded to the door.

   I pressed my hands to my ears and started to sing quietly to myself. "It rained and it's over, a shooting star landed directly on our broke down little car, we fold and we had made a wish that we would be missed if one another just did not exist." 

 "Sam, please,"  
   I started to rock back and forth, tears streaming hot down my face. "Cause that's what we're waiting for, that's what we're waiting for, that's what we're waiting for, aren't we? That's what we're waiting for, that's what we're waiting for, that's what we're waiting for, darlin'."
   "Sam, I love you." He was crying. Well that made two of us.
 
~~~
 
   I kept recording for a whole month until my whole demo was finished. A week after P.O. and I broke up I moved out of the boys' dorm and into my mom's old company dorm, thanks to Cho PD-nim. After two months, I was performing in coffee shops and bars around town almost every week. I was on a roll! I came home every night exhausted, but very happy. I was getting my music out there, and that's all that mattered.
   I walked into the studio, latte in hand and a smile on my face. "Junhyung-oppa," I had gotten accustomed to calling him, "Cho PD-nim wanted to talk to me?"
   Junhyung swirled around to face me in his swivel chair. "Yes, he'll be here shortly. You can just have a seat there." He swiveled back around, but kept talking. "Taeil will be coming in for recording, so you know."
   I raised my eyebrow. "Recording? For what? They just got finished promoting New Kids on the Block. They need a break, you know."
   Junhyung chuckled. "I know, he's just featuring in one of Cho PD-nim's songs."
   "Oh..." I plopped my down on the red velvet couch and sipped my coffee. "So...how are they?"
   "The boys?" Junhyung turned back around to look at me. "They're fine, I guess. I don't talk to them much outside of the studio. How long has it been since you've seen them?"
   I thought back. "Maybe about two months? I don't know, but it seems like forever." I smiled to myself. "Now I kinda can't wait to see Taeil."
   Around thirty minutes later, the door opened and in came little Taeil, glasses and beanie on as usual. Nothing has changed one bit about him. Of course not, it's only been two months. I was the one that changed so rapidly.
   Taeil walked in, not noticing me at all. "Hey Junhyung-hyung."
   "Hey," Junhyung replied, smirking.
   I kept quiet until Taeil noticed me, smiling to myself and sipping coffee.
   "I'm guessing Cho PD-nim isn't here?" Taeil took off his coat and scarf and set it on the table near the other side of the room, back to me.
   "Correct," Junhyung was barely paying attention, on his laptop playing with something.
   Taeil sighed at his hyung's resistance to participate in conversation. He turned around, finally facing me. He froze, his mouth agape.
   I smiled and gave him a little wave. "Hey Taeil." I said nonchalantly, sipping my hot coffee.
   Taeil waved back, a little unsure of what to say. "S-Sam, why are you here?"
   "Cho PD-nim wanted to talk to me. I guess he wanted to kill two birds with one stone by having me here to talk with and then go straight on to recording." I shrugged.
   Taeil nodded. "Ah, I guess so. Um..." he made his way over to me, hesitantly taking a seat on the cushion next to me. "How have you been?"
   I shrugged again. "Okay, I guess. I moved into my mom's dorm. I can always feel her around me when I'm there. It's comforting. It helps me get through this time in my life."
   "Are you done recording your demo?"
   I nodded excitedly. "Yeah, I actually finished it a few weeks ago. I still can't believe I have it. I always listen to it in my car. Is that weird?"
   Taeil chuckled. "No, sometimes I listen to our music in the car. But I guess it can be a little weird hearing yourself sing like that for the first time."
   "Yeah, it is." I nodded, looking at my cup of coffee. All of a sudden it was very awkward with Taeil and me. It was never this awkward between us; it was like we didn't know each other anymore.
   "You know, we miss you, Sam..." he finally spoke up after a long moment of silence.
   I looked up from my cup at him. He had that sincere look on his face he always had when he talked to me. "I miss you guys too, but you know I have to do this. I have to get out on my own. I can't live with you guys forever and take care of all of you."
   He frowned and looked down at the floor. "I know, I just think you should visit us from time to time."
   "I will, just not now. I'm busy nowadays, I actually have gigs now. Maybe...eventually, I mean..." I didn't know what to say to him. I hadn't really planned to see them again. I knew I wouldn't have the time, so I just pushed the thought of the Block B boys out of my mind. To be honest, I hadn't thought much of them since moving out.
   "Just don't forget about us," he said in a low voice.
   I was just about to say something when the door swung open, and in waltzed in Cho PD-nim and his crew. Both Taeil and I stood and bowed to him in politeness. "Annyeonghaseo," we both chanted together.
   "Taeil, you can just warm up in the booth first, I have to talk to Sam about something." Cho PD gave him a smile and Taeil stalked off into the booth to do vocal warm ups. Cho PD told me to take a seat, so I did, and he took one next to me. 
   "I have good news, Sam," he told me with a grin.
   My eyes grew wide with anticipation. "Really? About what?"
   "I got a scout to come out here and listen to you perform at a gig and to give him a copy of your demo. He's from Sire Records, do you know them?"
   My jaw dropped and I felt butterflies start to swarm my stomach. "Are you kidding me? Like, from Warner Brothers? As in, one of the top record companies in America?" I was practically drooling. "Are you kidding me?" I said again, a huge smile plastered on my face.
   "So, you do know them?" he asked again.
   "Well duh! I'm sure everyone has heard of them!" I couldn't believe it! A scout was interested in me! Well, not yet. He still has to listen to my music. But it was a good start! "Cho PD-nim...wow! I can't even..."
   He patted my knee and stood. "Just perform well tomorrow night, and the rest is up to the scout."
   I stood too. "I'll be fantastic. I won't let you down! You're the best." I said with admiration and the utmost respect for him.
   Cho PD wrapped him arm around my shoulders and gave me a side hug. "I'm glad I could be of service. Go home, kid. You need to practice, and I need to record."
   I nodded, grabbing my stuff and bowing as I made my way out. I also gave Taeil a wave and a smile. He glanced my way, gave a halfhearted smile, and went back to singing. I frowned, closing the door behind me.
   I think I just lost my only friend.

The lyrics used in this chapter are from the song Little Motel by Modest Mouse, just if you were wondering ;) This song also gave me inspiration to write this chapter. I don't know why, but it help. It's such an amazing song >_<

Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed this chapter.

Because the next one ends it.

PLEASE REVIEEEEEWWWWW! <3 :D