18 Candles

Living On the Block

WARNING:

INVOLVES QUOTES FROM A CLASSIC MOVIE. IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON, SHAME ON YOU. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? HOW HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN THIS MOVIE? I can't even stand to look at you. Go ask your mom what it is. Smh.

 


Sam POV

 

   The day after my birthday, I had to run errands. The boys were off practicing, and I was stuck on  grocery duty. Fun.

   I could be at home right now, playing my guitar, writing a new song, SINGING. But no. I was Block B's new lackey. Yippee.

   Once I got done with the shopping and other errands I had to run, I finally got to sit down with my mom and have that birthday meal I was accustomed to. Though it wasn't a birthday breakfast like all those other times, a late birthday dinner was fine by me too. It was fun to get to talk to another female face to face after several weeks of boys, boys, boys. And it reminded me of how much I missed my mom.

   "I see you haven't killed yourself yet, or any of the boys." Mom said, picking up some ramen with her chopsticks.

   I did the same. "No, but it's only a matter of time."

   She laughed. "Well I'm proud of you either way. Living with this group of boys like this. You know, your whole life you've never really associated with boys. Always cooped up inside, home schooling yourself and teaching yourself how to play instruments. I don't know where you get your tenacity and solitariness. Because I was always impatient and social. The exact opposite of you."

   I shrugged. "Maybe I got it from dad..."

   Mom stabbed her chopsticks into her noodles. "What dad? You've never had a dad. I impregnated myself. I am your dad and mother at the same time."

   I rolled my eyes. She's always been a little sensitive on the topic. She's determined that I'll never see my real father ever again. Not like I'd ever want to, though.

   Mom picked up her chopsticks again. "Anyways, how is your life with them? Any...crushes by chance?"

   I looked at her like she was crazy. "Mom, no! Even if there was, I wouldn't tell you..."

   "Why? Come on, you're eighteen. You can tell me that kind of stuff now. Just don't be too open about your life. I wouldn't be able take that."

   I made a disgusted sound. "Ma, can we not talk about this? Like at all? Thank you. And just a few weeks ago coming here on the plane, you were all like 'No boys, Sam'. Now you're all like 'Who are you having with!'" 

   "Whoa, whoa, whoa! I never asked you who you were canoodling with. I'm just saying you can be open with me about that stuff now, since you're...a...woman...now..."

   I sighed as my mom started to get all choked up. 

   "I'm an old ajumma now!" She was seriously on the verge of tears until her phone started to ring. I sank down in my seat as her ringtone Gee started playing by Girl's Generation. It's a little embarrassing having your thirty five year old mother's cell blare out "gee, gee, gee, gee, baby, baby" as she tries to dig her phone out of her massive purse. Once she fished it out, she held the phone to her ear and composed herself. "Hello?"

   I raised an eyebrow. "Who is it?" I whispered across the table.

   She ignored me and continued. "Hmm, why do you need to know?"

   "Know what?" I tried to pry in.

   "Oh, I see." She looked at me. "Uhm...hold on a second." She turned her entire body to the side of her chair, hiding her face, making me unable to hear what she was saying.

   My mouth gaped. "What don't you want me to hear?!" I exclaimed across the table. "Maaaa." I whined in frustration.

   "Alright...no problem..." She turned back, smiling. "You too, bye." She hung up and looked back at me. "What now?"

   I smacked myself on the forehead with my palm. "Nothing mom, just never mind." As the waiter came with our check, we started to say our goodbyes. "I hope we get to do this more often. I've missed you a lot, mom."

   "Aw, sweetie, I've missed you too. I miss you right now just saying bye." I left the tip and we stood hugging each other tightly. "I'll see you as soon as possible. Call me whenever you need me. You know I'll always answer to you. Even if it's for a brief minute." She kissed my forehead, then wiped away the lip gloss left behind with her thumb.

   "Ok," I felt my voice start to get a little wobbly and my throat start to tighten. "I love you, mom."

   She nodded, smiling warmly. "I love you more." We peeled away from each other and parted ways once more. I never knew how much I really needed my mom until we're separated for so long. Makes me wonder how I'm going to survive on my own.

   It was starting to get dark outside from time and clouds. Lightening flashed in the sky ahead of me and thunder started to roll. It would pour down at any minute. Little droplets started to plop onto the windshield at the promise of a downpour soon to come.

   When I got back home the streets were starting to flood. I parked and quickly fled inside. I rushed in, not expecting anyone to be home yet. I took my wet jacket off and dropped it in a pile by the doorway along with my squishy shoes and socks. I was just about to my pants, but when I made it past the corridor and into the tiny dining space, I was surprised to see someone waiting for me there.

 

P.O. POV

 

   I had it all planned out since the minute I woke up. I'd call Andy noona, ask what Sam's favorite movie was, and surprise her with a stormy movie night in. It would be the perfect chance to get closer. I pictured how the night would go in my head. She'd arrive home, find that it's just me and her, be surprised and delighted by watching her favorite movie. She'd get cold because of the weather, start to feel cozy, and decide to snuggle up to me. I'd throw a blanket over us, put my arm around her, and we'd fall asleep there. We both wake up the next day happy.

   It was fool proof.

   So I called Sam's mom while the hyungs and I were still at practice. I knew she would be out with Sam today. Sam was jumping up and down the other day about how her mom got the next day off so quickly and how they're going to spend time together. I felt a little bad calling her like this in the middle of their together time, but I needed to know.

   "Hello?" Andy noona's voice sounded strained. It kind of sounded like she had been crying, or she was trying to hold it in.

   "Hello noona. I was calling to ask what Sam's favorite movie is." I asked away from the hyungs in a low voice in a corner of the room so they wouldn't hear. 

   "Hmm, why do you need to know?" She asked. I could hear Sam in the background trying to nose her way into what we were talking about.

   "It's a...special late birthday surprise. " I said with a sneaky grin.

   "Oh, I see." She paused for a second. "Uhm...hold on a second." There was another pause. "It's Sixteen Candles, the eighties movie with Molly Ringwald. She absolutely loves that movie."

   Fortunately I knew all about that one. "Ok great. I think I have an idea of what I want to do."

   "Alright."

   "Thanks noona. Have a good day off, bye."

   "You too, bye."

   I hung up and put my phone back into my bag. My plan was going to change slightly. Reenact the last scene from the movie, then snuggles on the couch. This will be her best late birthday ever. 

   As the hyungs and some of the other sunbaes in the company went out to eat, I faked illness. "You go ahead, hyungs. I'm really not feeling well at all." I cringed while clutching my stomach pretty convincingly. They all left in one van while I took another back home. 

   Luckily Sam wasn't back home yet and it wasn't raining yet. I ran down to the convenience store down the street and bought a small cake and a bunch of candles. Then I swung by a video place, bought the movie, and quickly made my way back to the dorm.

   I arranged everything perfectly. Cake sitting in the center of the table with eighteen candles lit on top, the movie menu shown on the wide screen, a blanket thrown across the couch, and the lights dimmed low.

   I checked the time as the rain started to pummel down outside. It was getting late. Sam would be home any minute. 

   Suddenly I heard the door open and close and soggy footsteps walk in. Sam stepped into the room, barefoot, shirt slightly sheer from the rain, the bottom of her pants soaked, and the button and zipper on her pants undone. I raised an eyebrow and smirked. I guess she wasn't expecting me to be there.

   She quickly buttoned and zipped her pants back up. "P.O.! I-I didn't know you'd be here. Where are the others?"

   "They're out, don't worry about them." I stepped aside to reveal the table set. "Happy late birthday, Samantha." I said, tweaking the movie quote.

   She smiled and chuckled. "That was you on the phone with my mom, wasn't it?"

   I shrugged innocently. "I had to ask what your favorite movie was."

   She shook her head in disbelief. "This is...probably the most creative thing anyone has ever done for me on my birthday." She padded closer and took a look at the cake.

   "Well? Are you going to have a sit?" I asked, hopping onto the table and swinging my legs around to sit criss-cross. She nodded and hopped on too, facing me straight on. Our faces were lit by the candle light, but her smile was brighter.

   "Pyo Jihoon, I didn't know you were so nice." She said with a smirk, cocking her head to the side.

   I chuckled. "Me either. I guess that's just what you do to me." She giggled and look down at the table top.

   "Those are some sweet words from such an annoying maknae." 

   "Maybe I'm not so annoying as you thought."

   She paused for a few seconds, thinking about it. But then she shook her head. "Nah, you're still annoying. But...cute annoying. You're the cute annoying maknae." We both laughed.

   "Well, you do know how the movie ends, right?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

   "Yes..." She said hesitantly. "Samantha and Jake kiss."

   I nodded, leaning forward a little. "We are reenacting that scene. It's only right if we do the same."

   "Hmm..." She leaned forward too. "Maybe you're right..." She closed her eyes, waiting for me to make the move.

   I closed my eyes too, leaning in more. But I was confused when my lips only met air. I opened my eyes to see the candles blown out and Sam smiling sheepishly. "I said maybe, silly maknae." She poked my nose, frosting from the cake on her finger smearing onto my nose. She quickly hopped off the table and skipped into the TV room. 

   I smirked and wiped the frosting from my nose. "Touche." I joined her as she turned the movie on. We both plopped ourselves onto the couch as it started. 

   "Now, if you had a red Porsche 944, that kiss would've happened." Sam said in the middle of the movie, bringing her knees up to her chest and resting her chin on her knee. 

   Reminder to self, get a red Porsche 944...and a driver's licence. I thought.

   "And I can't decide whether you're more like The Geek, or Long Duk Dong."

   I turned to her, a little offended. "Why can't I be Jake?"

   She scoffed. "You? Jake Ryan? No, no, no. That's preposterous." She turned to me and smiled teasingly. "He's way too hot." She giggled.

   I gawked at her. "You're just in denial. You know you want this." I ran my hand across my chest seductively.

   She looked at me for a long time, then finally ended up laughing. "Oh yeah, that's hot." Her voice was saturated in sarcasm as she continued to giggle.

   As the movie went on, I could see Sam starting to look more tired. And here's when she leans on my shoulder and we fall asleep together. I shifted in my spot, keeping my arm on top of the sofa so my side was open for her to cuddle into.

   She sat up straight and stretched. "I'm starting to get a little tired. And is it just me, or is it cold in here?" She rubbed her arms, trying to create friction to warm herself up.

   "I feel completely warm. Come here, lie on me so we can share body heat." I suggested innocently, as though I had just thought of it.

   She hesitated at first, but then she scooted closer to me and threw the blanket over the both of us. Before she laid her head down, she looked at me with a serious expression. "Don't. Try. Anything." She warned through her teeth.

   I nodded, and she continued on to rest her head on my chest. I smiled. My planned actually worked! That was a first.

   By the end of the movie, Sam was sound asleep, and I was getting tired myself. I figured it would be stupid to try and move Sam since she was so comfortable. So I turned the television off and closed my eyes too. I didn't hear the hyungs enter later on that night, but they probably did see us. I'd get teased for this the next day, but I was fine with it.

 

Sam POV

 

   So...this was the first day I've actually thought of Jihoon as something other than annoying. He was actually sweet and thoughtful. Who knew? 

   I wasn't falling for him or anything. So why when I leaned against him did my stomach seem to flutter with a thousand butterflies? I don't like Pyo Jihoon. I don't! I can't. Do I? I mean, I've never liked a boy before, but is this what it feels like?

   No, I like Taeil! Taeil I say!

   Dear heart, you better make the right decision. Love, brain.


YES! I FINALLY UPDATE!!! 

Well, what with going on vacation, and now having to move and pack, I might not be updating as fast as I used to. But there's much more to come, I asure you! Really hope you enjoyed~ More Taeil and P.O. fluffiness in next chapter! BE PREPARED. BWAHAHAHA!!!