Welcome to the Block

Living On the Block

 

Sam POV

   Who knew that an eleven hour flight could make you so cranky. I woke up with scratchy eyes from sleeping in my contacts, a stiff neck, numb legs, and my I-pod blaring in my ears. I sat up in my seat and looked out the window. I didn't know where the hell we were, but we better get to our destination within the next thirty minutes, or I will go bat crazy. Between the old man snoring in the seat in front of me and the little snot nosed brat kicking my chair every five minutes behind me, this was not turning out to be the trip I had in mind.

   I turned over to my side and glared menacingly at my mother, who was listening to her I-pod and reading some Korean gossip magazine. You know, so she could be up to date with the media there. Where she got a Korean magazine in Tacoma, Washington I'll never know. "Maaaaaa," I whined to her.

   Her eyes were still glued on the magazine. She didn't even blink.

   "Ma!" I said a little louder and sharper.

   Not a single glance my way.

   I yanked one of the ear buds out of her ear. She turned to me with a startled expression. "What's wrong?" She took the other ear bud out and closed to magazine.

   I put on an extremely fake smile. "Oh nothing, mother. We've just been on this plane for eleven hours, the kid behind me has been kicking my chair ever since we took off, and my legs have been numb for just as long. This trip has just been a joyous piece of heaven." 

   "That's good. I'm glad you're enjoying it." She put her ear buds back in and continued reading.

   I gave my best "are you freaking kidding me" face and slumped down into my seat, my knees hitting the back of the chair in front of me. "Maaaaa," I whined again, loud so that she could hear me over her music.

   She sighed deeply and turned her I-pod off altogether. "Sam, I beg of you. Do something."

   Do something? Do something?! What the hell was I supposed do on a plane in coach with nothing but my I-pod, a Harry Potter book, and a doodling pad and pen? Nothing that's what! "I am trying to do something. Have a conversation with you!"

   "Well, what a stimulating conversation we're having right now."

   "I would hardly call this a conversation." I said in a low voice, crossing my arms in front of me.

   "Well what do you want to converse about?"

   I looked past her. "That boy in the middle section next to us is cute."

   She raised an eyebrow at me. "Um, no boys."

   I gawked at her with disbelief. "Mom, I'm going to be living with seven boys- whom are all older than me!- for god knows how long, all day everyday. Boys, boys, BOYS, mother. Therefore making your argument invalid."

   Mom scoffed. "I'm your mother, I'm never invalid. And what other choice did I have? I wasn't going to pay rent for a two bedroom apartment when it's just you there. And I didn't want you to be alone."

   I rolled my eyes. "I was alone all the other times..." I mumbled.

   "That was because I had no other option. The president suggested an offer I couldn't refuse. You living in the dorm. Which is paid by the company! Now that's a deal." She smirked smugly, knowing that I knew she had a point.

   I did know she had a point. I didn't like it. I pouted my bottom lip out. "But mommy, what if they drive me crazy and I end up killing myself?"

   Mom took my hand in her's and squeezed it. "Well, just know that I love you, sweetie."

   I pretended to get all choked up. "I love you too, mom."

   "Oh, and stop calling me mom. We're in Korea now, I'm umma from now on." She let go off my hand and threw it back in my lap.

   "Aish..."

   We touched down around ten minutes later. I managed to put my bangs into a braid and freshen myself up a little before we got to get the rest of our luggage and head down to the studio. Unfortunately, my attitude could not be freshened up so easily. I was still a bit cranky. This was not going to be a good first impression.

   We walked into Brand New Stardom Ent. and was showed to where the group and Cho PD were. When my mother and I walked into the mirrored dance studio, the boys stood up from the bench up against the wall and lined up in a row. They smiled a happy go-lucky smile at us, seeming so friendly. But I knew better.

   They bowed simultaneously and chanted together, "Do you wanna be? Block-"

   "Block B, yeah we know." I interrupted before they could even do the salute. 

   All seven of them looked at me, confused. I'm guessing that was the first time their salute had ever been interrupted. My mom and I bowed to them in return and introduced ourselves.

   My mom went first. "Annyeonghaseyo, Archer Andy imnida." She shook hands with all seven of them and gave them a warm, friendly smile. This is how she worked. Always friendly, always professional. 

   Me on the other hand... "Annyeong, Archer Sam imnida." I gave a nod of recognition to all of them. My mom elbowed me in the ribs, making me cringe. "What?" I looked at everyone else in the room. They had not seemed offended at all.

   In fact, Zico stepped forward and slapped his hand into mine and gave me what I like to call the "Homie Handshake". "Wassup! The name's Zico. The Leader." Ok, Mr. Cocky...

   I wasn't shocked. I had heard that this group was particularly laid back and goofy. 

   P.O. was the next to follow suit. "Yo, name's P.O., how old are you?" 

   I raised an eyebrow. What did that have anything to do with this? "Um...seventeen..."

   The maknae grinned and put his arm around me. "Perfect." He'd better get off of me, or Mom was going to rip his arm off.

   Kyung pushed him aside and gave me a smile. "Kyung, cucumber man." And I couldn't help but laugh.

   Jaehyo gave me a wave. "I'm Jaehyo, your future crush." He winked at me and smirked. I had to admit it, he is pretty.

   The dancers looked at each other, then nudged each other with their elbows to encourage the other to go first. Finally B-Bomb just stepped up and did a small bow. "I'm B-Bomb, dance extraordinaire." He did an arm wave just to prove it too.

   U-Kwon playfully kicked him out of the way. "U-Kwon, smile representative. " He flashed a beautiful smile that instantaneously made me smile right back.

   Let's see, Zico, P.O., Kyung, Jaehyo, B-Bomb, and U-Kwon already introduced themselves. The only one left was...

   "Annyeonghaseyo-"

   I gasped and my face lit up like a Christmas tree. I shoved everyone in my way and stood only a foot away from Taeil. "Oh I know who you are, baby Taeil!" I gushed, a huge grin spread across my face. "You're the most cutest, talented, squishiest, most adorable baby sharkie EVER!" I couldn't contain myself. I was such a er for cute things! I go weak in the knees every time I see puppies. And as for baby pandas...I don't even look at them because I might explode. A squeal escaped my lips before I could stop myself and my arms mysteriously were now wrapped around his torso, clinging onto him like a koala. It was obvious I had no control at that point.

   It took every bit of my mom's strength to pry me off. "Sam, let go!" She said through her teeth while trying to yank me by my waist. 

   "I caaaan't," I whined. "I literally have no control over my limbs anymore." I nuzzled my face into Taeil's shirt. At this point I'm sure he was a little frightened. Hell I would be too. I'm a little scary when I go fangirl. Eventually I did let go when it was time for my mom and me to go take our things to the dorms.

   Needless to say, the place was a mess. They desperately needed a girl in this place. A touch of femininity would make it a home. They'll be thanking god that I moved in.