Light

Shining Debut

It sounded weird. My eyes were closed, but for a few seconds, I could hear what was going on.

I heard some kind of sirens and people talking across radios. I heard doors open and slam shut again. I also heard news reporters, who I guessed were facing cameras. They couldn't leave us alone.

I heard someone cry out.

"Kylie!" they shouted, "Kylie!" They sounded young, maybe my age. I forced myself to open my eyes just enough to let a sliver of the scene into my darkness. Everything was so bright! It hurt to look and I quickly closed my eyes again.

"Oppa." The word escaped my lips as I drifted away once more, thinking of the worried faces of my friends bending over me.

I dreamed. I didn't understand what was happening, but it scared me.

I woke up, screaming. My arms and legs flailed. People around me started yelling, and they held me down. I felt a pinch on my arm. I calmed down and slept again.

Finally I woke up again with a rational mind. I tried to open my eyes, but it was still too bright. I shut them a second later. Someone else was in the room; I could hear breathing and feel someone's head making an indentation in the bed I was on.

I heard a beeping next to my ear. Slowly ths time, I opened my eyes and carefully peered around the room. I was in a hospital. The beeping was coming from a monitor next to my bed. An IV was in my arm. Bandages were scattered across my arms and legs. I looked over at the person.

They had their head down. Their light brown hair tickled my wrist as they held my hand. At first, I thought they were asleep, but then I realized they were praying. I could catch a few whispered words, but I couldn't understand them. Their lips formed words into my hand. I had a pretty good idea of what they were praying about.

I smiled softly. He had not realized that I was awake yet. I moved my free hand to touch the top of his head. His hair was nice; it felt like feathers.

Taemin quickly looked up, his lips still parted to form a word.

"Kylie!" he shouted and embraced me tightly. I heard the monitor's quick increase in the frequency of its beeps. A nurse came in almost immediately. She shooed him out, scolding him for exciting me too much. She returned soon after. I was informed that I had been unconscious due to a concussion caused by the accident.

Taemin was only allowed back in after they ran several tests, changed some bandages, removed others, and handed me a tray of food. With Taemin came Clover, Angel Kaname, and Key. They filed into the blue and white room.

Clover rushed over to me.

"Oh, Kylie!" she cried, "You're okay!"

I nodded, sipping apple juice from a pink cup.

"I thought you would never wake up. You had us all worried, but now you're acting like nothing happened!" Angel reprimended me.

"Because Lychee is awesome like that. You know, sleeping for two days, that's nothing new," Key laughed.

"I'm sorry for making you worry," I said and hung my head. I looked up again.

"Where's Yuri unnie?" I asked.

"She's in the next room. She broke her leg, and she's still high on painkillers," Angel explained. I noticed she had a bandage under her left eye, and a bruise or two on her arm. Clover was in a little worse shape, but much better than both me and Yuri. I was already sitting up and I grabbed a pudding cup from the tray.

"What happened?" I asked, "All I remember is seeing Ms. Byun asleep, and I woke her up, but she swerved for an animal or something in the road."

"After that, we ran into a tree - or maybe two - and you hit your head on the seat pretty hard. I saw it because I woke up right after we swerved, and so did the others. The front and side windows broke - that's where we got cut up - and Yuri's leg was hit by an I-don't-know-what," she said. I nodded my head slowly, picturing it in my mind.

Key looked down at me. His mouth formed a circle as he remembered something.

"Onew hyung, Jonghyun, Minho, and Seojun noona are here as well," he informed me, "we'll switch out with them in a little bit. We were able to call your parents."

I perked up at that.

"Really? What did they say? Where are they?" I asked. My parents were usually away for months at a time for business. It was usually okay because I lived at the dorm.

"Yeah, they were really worried about you. They can't get away from work though, so they can't come. Right now they're in Australia," he said.

"Oh.  I hope they aren't too anxious," I said. I was disappointed, just like the time they missed my piano recital, although somehow this was worse. Taemin noticed how my expression fell even though I tried to stop it.

"Kylie, I got you something!" he said, effectively changing the topic.

"What is it?" I asked, curious.

"Here." He handed me a blue bag. I opened it, and pulled out a turtle plushy. It was so soft!

" I couldn't decide which animal to get, and Yesung hyung ended up helping me," he explained.

"Thank you Oppa! I love it!" I grinned. We continued to chat for a while after that. I found out that we would continue filming without Yuri the next week. We had already done the dance scenes and individual scenes; we only only had close-ups and fixing mistakes left.

Seojun exchanged places with Kaname and quickly told me the new schedule before leaving again. Clover and Angel left as well, giving Jonghyun, Onew and Minho places.

"Annyeong," I said as they entered. Minho walked to stand by Taemin, who was sitting in a rolling chair on my right side.

"Hey, Kylie. You look so.... fragile. Like if I touch you, you'll break again," he said. His eyes had a sad light, and were somewhat guilty. I wondered if he thought that he could have prevented it.

"I'm fine!" I assured him, "They were even talking about letting me go hime tomorrow afternoon!" He smiled, clearly relieved.

"You didn't tell me that!" Taemin and Key cried together.

"I thought I did," I murmured and tilted my head to one side.

"Well you didn't!" Key crossed his arms.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. I thought that I really had told them!

"I accept your apology," Key nodded curtly.

"Good," I teased, "because that's the only one you're going to get!"

I suddenly noticed Taemin watching our exchange closely with only the ghost of a smile on his face. He was worried about something, I could tell. He had always gotten that look before a big show or concert or new stage. Then, it was soon replaced by a real smile. I looked up at him, smiling as well. I liked it better when he was happy.

We talked for a longtime even though Onew was standing for every second of it. That night, the nurse allowed Angel to stay with me. She slept on the couch. I, of course, slept on the hospital bed.

 

==================================================================================================

Hello my dear readers! I managed to update again. Shocking, isn't it?

Anyways, I usually have something to say about music or K-POP here....... but I can't think of anything.

from your evil author,

Juliette