Five Seconds

Shining Debut

I opened my eyes when Angel called for dinner. I was only halfway surprised when I had to wipe away the tears in my way of vision. Everything in my dream had been exactly how it had happened. I had gotten to see my friend Taemin, SM trainee, again, and we were not fighting.

I walked into the dorm's living room.

"Unnie, what are we having?" I asked.

"We are having spaghetti, but you are having something else." Angel pointed behind me at the couch. I turned and saw Minho.

"Minho oppa, what are you doing here?" I asked perplexedly.

"Sunbae-nim!" Angel reminded me from the kitchen.

"Yah! It's 'oppa!'" I called back. Minho laughed quietly.

"I was thinking we could go to this restaurant that I know for dinner," he explained. I nodded.

"Okay, I'll get my shoes and jacket." I walked back to my room and threw on my sea blue, button-down coat. I had traded out my old sweatshirt for a fresh sparkly navy shirt. I slipped on my ankle boots and reached where Minho was waiting. I noticed that he was staring at me weirdly.

"You look really nice," he told me, almost shyly. I laughed.

"Thanks," I said, "Where are we going?"

"I found this great place downtown. They have really good food, but it's not really popular with teenagers because of the traditional layout. We should be able to go there without being recognized," he said.

"That sounds good." I smiled and he grinned back. Minho led me to SHINee's group car. I sat in the passenger seat while he drove.

"So, what have you been doing in the last three hours since I saw you?" he chuckled.

"Sleeping," I replied, "and you?"

"YouTube, hacking onto Jonghyun hyung's twitter account, and going over my script," he said nonchalantly.

"Oh right, how is that going?" I asked. I remembered he was in a sitcom called Salamander Guru or something similar.

"It's really fun!" He let his eyes wander from the road for a second to meet my gaze. His soft smile reached his eyes before he faced forward once more.

It only took twenty minutes to reach our destination, or at least that is what it felt like. It was always easy to talk with Minho. He even knew about my secret crush on Taemin; the only other person who knew was Key. Even though we had only known each other for a few years, it felt like we had grown up together.

We sat down in the booth farthest from the windows as usual. A middle-aged lady with kind eyes came to take our order.

"Is this your first time here?" she asked us.

"It is," I said at the same time Minho told her, "No."

"Ah, so you've been here before, and you wanted to bring your girlfriend?" she laughed softly, and, leaning in, whispered to Minho, "She's very pretty!" He laughed.

"No, we're not dating, we're-" I tried to tell her, but Minho cut me off.

"Thank you," he said, and she walked away. I turned back to him.

"Why didn't you tell her that we are not dating?" I hissed quietly.

"It was easier than explaining to her who we really are. Let her think that a couple that wasn't married came here for once," he explained.

"That makes sense," I said, nodding. He smiled at me again.

"Good, it should! You need to learn to understand more things!" he teased me. He had a mischievious glint in his eyes, but only for a moment. I wondered if I had imagined it.

"I'm not that bad," I argued, but I couldn't keep myself from laughing. Many people often told me that I could be very dense. I still did not believe them.

The lady came back with our food.

"Ah! It looks good!" I exclaimed and thanked her. She smiled in response and went to greet an older couple at the door. Minho and I prayed over the food. We began to eat.

"How is it?" he asked.

"It's really good!" I said, even though my mouth was full of rice.

"Great!" he smiled. Over the course of dinner, we talked and ate and laughed a lot. After we finished, we somehow ended up in the empty park near my dorm. It was slowly getting darker, and the last child was leaving. We walked through the playgroud.

I jumped onto a balance beam. Minho held my hand to keep me steady. He looked up at me.

"You're so short now!" I giggled. He was so tall compared to me - 181 centimeters tall! (Author's note: He's TALL!!!! I'm only 160 centimeters tall D:) At that moment, I could see the top of his head. His slightly long hair was wavy, and I could not see his eyes, but I knew he was watching me very carefully. I chose to focus on where my feet were on the beam.

"So what do you think you're going to do about Taemin?" he asked quietly.

"Well, I guess I'll try to make up with him," I pondered over it, and hopped to the ground, "Did you know that in two months is the five year anniversary of when Taemin oppa and I met?" I looked up at him once more. He smiled remembering.

"Then later this year is ours," he added. I thought over it.

"Was it August?" I asked, thinking of my birth month. Minho shook his head.

"Silly Kylie, it was September!" He flicked my forehead as he reminded me.

"I'm sorry!" I whined.

"You should be." "So what?"

Minho just sighed. We walked to the swingset and sat down.

"Can you really forgive him after what he said?" he asked. He looked up at the moon peeking over the tops of the trees.

"I think so; it's not like it is normal for him to act like that. I just got mad, I guess," I said slowly. Minho smiled again, but this time it seemed somehow sadder.

"I see. I guess that I would as well. But still, I'm a little disappointed." He set his mouth in a thin line.

"Why?" I asked. I was puzzled. He seemed down, and I didn't want him to be that way.

"Before you make your decision, just let me try something," he pleaded and stood up, "I won't ever do it again if you don't want me to." He faced me and grabbed the chains holding the swing I was seated on. He leaned down to my level and I looked at him.

"What?" I asked.

Then he kissed me. It lasted five seconds. Of those five seconds, my eyes were open for three. He was soft and gentle, and I was stunned. He pulled away, running his thumb across my cheek before walking to his car. I watched as he drove off.

"What.... Just happened?" I asked nobody - or, maybe, myself. I put my shaking fingers to my lips. That was my only first kiss, and it now belonged to someone I had thought was a good friend - it belonged to Minho.

How could I not have noticed until then? I sat on the swing for a while before I got up and walked home.

The rest of the week was relatively uneventful, with a few interviews and variety shows. I didn't see any of the SHINee members. I didn't know how I could talk to them, especially Minho.

The following week we had the music video shoot. By the end of the first day, we had danced for twelve hours - and it wasn't nearly over.

 

 

=================================================================================================

Kylie. Is. Dense. (In case you never noticed.)

Why is it that I keep replaying the kiss scene over again in my head????????? Argh....

Minho oppa shocked Kylie. hehe. This has been my daily update!!!!!

 

from your evil author,

Juliette