Chapter 2

Iniquitous love

Hi! Thank you for reading and commenting! ^^

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

The rainclouds are starting to drain themselves furiously, icy cold rain drops stabbed at Junsu’s waterproof coat as the small figure hurried along to the safety of the shelters. The last train back home will leave any minute, and his only hope is to be able to catch the last train back. He is not keen on having to stay a night at the deserted station.

“Sir! Is there any timing left for Gyeongju?” Junsu pulled off the cover on his head and looked hopefully at the man in uniform, while the heavy set man stared at the computer screen in search for an available timing. “I’m afraid not son… the last one leaves in twenty… and it’s full.” The man said apologetically.

A downcast Junsu dragged his feet across the empty station and squatted in a sheltered corner beside the road while he thought through his life, his couple ring while he pondered about the available options. He can either go back to Yoochun, pretending to remain oblivious while the girls the man cheats with, uses his bed, or he can put it all behind and head home to a new start. Head back to where he will be most comfortable. Get away from the fruitless relationship that he knows is heading for nowhere in the future.

He chose the second option.

“Beep beep!!” the loud honking on the roads awakened him from his ‘daydream’ and he hoisted himself up over to the bus stop nearby, settling down as he tried to stay warm by rubbing his hands together. The sky had become so dark that only the street lamps lit the path. Sighing, Junsu started his boring one night worth of waiting.

Deep in thoughts, Junsu ended up taking off his ring subconsciously and fumbled at the thick coat, to slip it into his pocket instead of wearing it. The couple ring brought back bad memories, since it was given to him while he brood over the first case of Yoochun’s infidelity. The soreness of the first time remained, and the bitterness lingered, only to be worsened by the man’s latest tryst.

“BEEEP BEEEP!!!” A single and sudden loud honk made him jump and he ended up dropping the ring. As the silver band rolled and made its way across the rough road, Junsu instinctively followed after casting a brief glance and confirming that the coast is clear.

Running after the band as it continued rolling, Junsu bent over and picked it up, drying it between his fingers as he made his way back to the backpack resting on the bus stop seat.

“Beeeep beeeep!!!” An urgent honking caught his attention while he was only less than half a meter from the safety of the curb. However, before he could react and leap in any direction, cold hard metal came crashing into him, ramming and jamming brake so hard that Junsu was thrown towards the windscreen and sent sprawling in the opposite direction.

The impact knocked the air out of Junsu so forcefully that he immediately lost consciousness. Flailing into the air like a damaged puppet, he was cast a couple of meters away, hitting the ground with a sickening thud. Behind the wheels, a man dressed in business suit gasped as he threw the phone, which is still in his hands, onto the passenger seat beside him, struggling with his seatbelt to exit his vehicle.

“OMO!!! !!!” the car door flew open and the man emerged. Not bothering to shelter himself with an umbrella, he rushed over to the limp body in front of him, shaking it and hoping for a response, nothing came. Rolling the body over, the now drenched man tried to get the limp piece of flesh into a recovery position, preventing the possibility of Junsu drowning in the puddle of rain water.

The rain water continued beating down on them mercilessly, washing Junsu’s blood into the drainage port at the roadside.

“YAH!! YOU OKAY?” the man tried many times but still could not get a response. So hauling Junsu up onto the side walk for safety, the man pulled out his cellphone to call for an ambulance. But there wasn’t any reception. Thinking fast on his feet, the man quickly wrapped the bleeding boy carefully with the ripped up coat and carried him into his own car.

Hitting the pedal, the man sped off to the nearest hospital, leaving behind the lone backpack resting on the bench, with Junsu’s identity and past.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Changmin’s POV

I will be damned. And it is all because I picked up the call to inform me that my fax had arrived. Plus, it was too dark for me to see clearly anyway, especially with the rain pouring down in buckets.

I didn’t know what I hit at first, until a flash of yellow slammed into my windscreen. Animals do not wear clothes so I know I am screwed. The moment I saw the ‘object’ flying off my car hood, I knew I had most likely knocked down a live human being. My windscreen is slightly cracked… and there were blood smears… I wanted to scream… but I am a man. Men don’t scream.

Hurrying out of my car, I found a ‘yellow wreckage’ a few meters away, and after a series of unfortunate events due to the rain, I ended up packing the yellow thing into my back seat and driving off to my doom.

What if the thing is dead?

What do I tell the police?

Will there be a camera footage of this incident? If I am not mistaken… I am near a train station. Good gracious god!

Damn my stupidity! I shouldn’t have broken the rules! Believe it or not, this is the first time I ever picked up a phone call without my ear piece. I will be damned. I hope the… person… is alright.

End of POV

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Somebody! Help!!” Changmin gathered Junsu’s broken body into his thick strong arms and made his way into the emergency department of the first hospital he can find.

The hospital is not far from the station, but the trip felt like a million years for Changmin. He can actually see the blood seeping onto his leather cushion, and could not help but sneak a peek at the ‘creatures’ chest, to look out for rise and fall. He does not even know the gender of the person he happened to knock down.

“Here!! Put her here!!” A nurse took a quick look at Junsu’s bloodied face and immediately assumed Junsu is female. Instructing Changmin to place the boy onto the trolley she provided, she whisked them off towards the emergency triage zone.

“What is her name? How are you two related?” Questions of such were hurled at the poor confused Changmin as he ran alongside them, pushing the trolley when there is really no need to.

“I don’t know… I”

“What? Where did you find her?” A doctor exclaimed, while hooking up the lines and oxygen mask onto Junsu. “What happened?”

“I knocked… her… down.” Changmin said quietly, wiping off the droplets of rain water that were trickling into his eyes irritatingly, blurring his vision.

“Accident? Okay! Wait outside! We will need you to fill up some forms later.” The doctor said finally after reaching a door.

Pushing the patient through, the door slammed shut into Changmin’s face, leaving the man standing alone outside, in a daze.

Slumping onto the chair, the man, now soaked to the bones, grabbed a few paper napkins from the nearest washroom and dried himself with it. Staring at the strangers running past him frantically, he face palmed himself and bend his head inwards, bracing himself for a long wait.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Three hours later…

“Sir! … Excuse me sir!” A lady in scrubs exited the door and made her way to the man, who remained seated and nodding his head in an uncomfortable slumber. “Aish… he can actually sleep during such times?” The lady mumbled to herself as she made her way in front of him.

“SIR.” With her sudden outburst and hard tap on the shoulder, the man leapt up and stood like an army man, with hands on his head, looking bewildered. “Yes! Yes!” He finally responded and rubbed an eye while he squinted them, focusing on the lady.

“The boy is fine. A fractured leg and chest contusion as a result of the impact… we don’t see the need to operate… but he also had a minor bleed in the head… so” she was interrupted by Changmin’s baffled expression.

“I think you have the wrong man. I am waiting for news of the girl I knocked down.”

“Yes. He is the one you knocked down. No… How do I say this? You say he is a girl?” the doctor asked skeptically.

“Yes. The nurse said it’s a girl... She’s a girl.” Changmin concluded.

“Well… the nurse is not wrong about that either.” The doctor frowned and fidgeted uncomfortably, as if looking for a right way to phrase her sentences.

“I knocked down two persons? I distinctly remember that there was only one.” Changmin’s eyes widened as he sat down slowly, trying to make himself more alert, slapping his own cheeks.

“… technically speaking… the child is fine. The foetus is fine. We did an ultrasound.” The doctor said hesitantly.

“AH! AIGOO!! Why didn’t you say so earlier? You meant to say that the lady I knocked down is pregnant? Thank god!! Merciful god! Her baby is fine?” Changmin started ranting, eyes sparkling and grinning from ear to ear. “I thought I was a goner! She is fine?”

“Not exactly fine. There is an intracranial bleed, but it’s more or less stopped. As for the location of the bleed… it doesn’t endanger… him, but we might have to operate if… he doesn’t wake up soon.” The doctor chose her words carefully.

“You will have to stay here til we finish notifying the police. Meanwhile, you can go on ahead to see… him.” The doctor smiled uncomfortably.

“I see… thank you. I need to leave for work soon… so please get the police to hurry.” Changmin breathed a sigh of relief as he made his way to the lift, where a few nurses are already waiting to transfer Junsu up to the wards.

“Sir…” A nurse exited from within the cubicle and ushered Changmin in.

“Shim sshi.” Changmin corrected the nurse while she opened up the curtains, revealing a pale Junsu lying still as death. “Is she alright?” Changmin whispered while looking at Junsu’s face closely. The face is littered with bruises and an eye was swollen shut with a few stitches on the hairline.

“We need some details Shim sshi… do you happen to know anything about… him?” the nurse was as hesitant as the doctor was.

“Her. Check your pronoun please. And no… I do not know a single thing about her.” Changmin is an egoistic man who can get really sarcastic, but is indeed a nice man in nature. It’s just his ‘proud’ façade tends to put people off, and he knows that. He just can’t be bothered.

“Shim sshi. The patient is a boy… male.” The rest of the nurses looked on while the other speaks up.

“Yah! What is wrong with this place? Why is everyone so is unaware of differences in gender? The person there is obviously female, and pregnant, and I am the unfortunate one who knocked her down… please get your facts straight. I don’t have time to waste! Let me just wait for her to wake up, compensate her, and I am out of here.” Changmin frowned deeply and massaged his temples, resting on the armchair next to Junsu while he ‘reprimanded’ the staff.

“Shim sshi. The boy is… pregnant.”

~End of chapter 2~