Chapter 4

Iniquitous love

 

Hi! ^^

Thank you all for reading, commenting and subscribing!

The real 'fun' will start after chapter 5, hope you do not find me a drag! Thank you!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

A week later…

“Yah! Don't be such a reclusive young man! Listen to umma! Go for the match making session! You will like her!” Changmin frowned and deleted the voicemail.

Flipping through the television channels, the tall man stretched out his long legs and rotated his neck, flexing his muscles as he yawned. “How can you do this to me!! Don’t leave me!! I HAVE YOUR CHILD!! I’M PREGNANT!!” Rolling his eyes, Changmin switched channels and emptied a glass of fruit juice into his mouth.

“I don’t remember who am I anymore! I don’t remember! Please tell me about my past!” Upon hearing this, the mouthful of liquid found its way out of Changmin’s mouth as he spat out every drop of it.

Coughing, he hurriedly changed the channel again, and ran right into a scene where a man is abandoning his lover. Disturbed, he switched off the television all together and closed his eyes in a silent meditation.

“Shim sshi. We plan to discharge him tomorrow… but we don’t have his information yet. You are the only person involved… so we need your help. Let’s not forget that he is a minor as you have claimed.” The doctor’s words replayed themselves in his head as he squeezed his eyes shut.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Changmin’s POV

The past days were equivalent to crap! I have never felt so upset in my life! Never needed to worry so much about some redundant things before! I hate it!! My peaceful life just turned upside down because I decided to pick up my phone while I was driving… and because a random kid decides to try for a hospital stay and lose his memory in the process. Aigoo.

I was told by the hospital that he can be discharged soon, with a follow up… but they don’t know where to put him. The police man says he has applied for me to be the guardian. THE GUARDIAN!! The heck!!

I called for a private investigator… I even placed him up for missing persons on the stupid advertisement boards all around the vicinity of the train station!! Why doesn’t anyone want this boy?! He has been missing for one whole week!! No one!! Even when I offered to kindly bring the boy over for free… no one wants him.

I ended up bringing him out for outings to where the accident happened… hoping he will have a recollection, yet he just gives me the blank look time and again. I know he is for real when he doesn’t even flinch when I mentioned ‘Chunnie’. The only name I saw on the stupid ring! I even showed him the picture of him and his ‘Chunnie’. The one he kept so dear… in his wallet.

I don’t know the whole story… so I came up with some possible suggestions by myself… or rather… scenario…

First one goes like this… Chunnie finds out his Suie is male and pregnant. Not good news. He dumps his Suie. His Suie runs away.

Second option, Chunnie does not love Suie anymore. Suie runs off.

Third option… Suie does not love Chunnie anymore… not likely.

Fourth option, Suie comes from gar… dong… something. He just broke up with Chunnie… and comes to Seoul to start afresh?

OMO! I think it’s the last one!! That will explain why no one is looking for him here!! They do not even know he is here!!

Now I just need to remember the place he came from! Gwangju? Gunsan? Aigoo?

End of POV

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Shim sshi! You are here? Why don’t you go up and visit him? He is lonely you know?” One of Junsu’s doctors spotted Changmin footing the hospital bills in advance at the counter and couldn’t mind his own business.

“I will just pay the bill first and bring him back tomorrow.” Changmin had a good mind to fetch Junsu out into the mountains and dump him there, but the guilt is stopping him. The boy can’t even walk around independently with the bad leg.

“I see.” The doctor nodded his head and headed off while Changmin tried to suppress the urge to check on Junsu, now that the man has mentioned it. The boy is affecting him so much that he is unable to function as per normal. That upsets him to no end. He does not like to deviate from the norms.

“Yes. This leg forward.” The therapist is teaching Junsu how to use the crutches by the time Changmin arrives at the ward. Watching the boy silently from a corner, Changmin is momentarily distracted by the exposed skin on the oversized hospital pyjamas and big split at the back.

There were visible bruises, but the skin on the boy’s back looked pale and milky, tempting Changmin to train his eyes on it. Slapping himself, Changmin cleared his throat to announce his arrival. Junsu immediately flashed his adorable million dollar smile upon seeing the familiar face. Making a break for it, Junsu hobbled over to the tall man and tugged at his sleeves.

“Kim Junsu. How is your progress today?”

“I can remember the doctor’s name now!” The boy announced proudly as he settled down happily on the bed and looked at Changmin. The man rolled his eyes after turning away, wishing that it is not just the doctor’s name the boy remembers.

Over the course of a week, Junsu is obviously improving, and becoming more aware of his surroundings, but he still doesn’t remember his past, or anything related to it.

The stress is getting to Changmin as he tries to get Junsu to think about the things from his past, but to no avail. “No need to tell me that… what about other’s names?”

“Yours! You lied to me! Your name is not Kim Junsu! I know your real name is Changmin. I overheard the nurses saying. Changmin! Changmin!” The boy laughed heartily as he repeated the man’s name over and over. Giggling gleefully.

“That’s enough… I will see you tomorrow.” Changmin said slowly before getting up and leaving. Shrugging off the hastening heart beat and painful throbbing at his chest, the man made his way to the café for a good binge. Only food can make his heart pound so painfully, at first. The boy is the second one.

No matter how Changmin tells himself that he needs to find ‘Chunnie’ and send the boy back, he can’t seem to look forward to it. Most importantly, Changmin has never fallen for anyone before. He never dated or kissed anyone before too, and he is afraid that Junsu might break his heart if he opens it up so quickly, even as a friend. There will always be a ‘Chunnie’ in the way after all.

Driving home after a hearty meal, Changmin dove straight into bed with a tub of ice cream in tow, stuffing his face with the embarrassing dessert that he never tells anyone is his personal favourite, though he does love everything that is edible.

A long night of pondering made him decide that his house can fit another human. The very next day, he got the cleaner ahjumma to clean up his guest rooms, and left for the hospital, to fetch the boy home.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

On the other side of the city…

“Yeoboseyo. May I speak to Junsu please?” Yoochun finally plucked up the courage and made the call to Junsu’s house in the boy’s hometown. He assumes that the person is safe and well at home.

“Oh? Junsu yah? He is not home. He is away in Seoul university… you can call him via his mobile. He will only come home during the next break in winter.” A lady answered at the other end of the line. Yoochun was stumped.

“Are you sure? I am his… friend here… from the university… and school is already out.”

“EH?! Last week when I spoke to him, he said he will not be back so soon because he wanted to rush an assignment! Are you sure he is not there?!” The panic is clearly reflected in the woman’s tone as she questioned Yoochun.

“He isn’t home? …” Even Yoochun is starting to panic a little too. The thought of the possibility that his lover might not be home for one whole week suddenly dawned on him. Regret washed over as he thought about how he had been the cause of Junsu’s disappearing act. Most importantly, he knows that Junsu will not just disappear for one entire week without telling anyone.

“I will check with his close friends… they might know where he is.” They don’t. Yoochun called every single one of their acquaintances, but no one saw Junsu anywhere. Full fledge panic swept over Yoochun and the police station was his next destination.

Contacting Junsu’s family and informing them about Junsu’s disappearance, Yoochun did not even dare reveal that he is the lover. He felt so guilty, especially when he heard Junsu’s mother crying in the background while he spoke to the boy’s older brother.

Cooking up a lie, Yoochun told Junsu’s family that he was looking for Junsu because of some work-related issues, but he knows deep inside that the boy has disappeared for one week without anyone noticing, and he is the cause of any mishap, that might have happened.

Unwilling to give up, Yoochun combed the entire area and even made home visits to their friend’s house to check if they were indeed harboring the boy. His links got fewer and fewer as the day passed, and he was left with nothing but a cold empty house by nightfall.

Anger set in as he sat on their shared bed, gripping tightly onto a picture of him and Junsu while staring hard at it. The boy was smiling from ear to ear in it, and Yoochun could feel a painful tug at his heart as he pictures the boy in trouble. He couldn’t bear the thought of it and ended up dead drunk. He knows he cannot do much until the police gets back to him.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

The next day, a gloomy afternoon…

Yoochun went to the train station to meet up with the boy’s parents as they were scheduled to arrive. With the hangover lingering in his head, the man dragged his feet across the crowded station.

A poster caught his eyes, but it is too smudged by the torrential rain to reveal much. He was sure that the photo printed on it looked familiar. But just as he was approaching it for a better look, an employee from the station came forward and ripped the poster right off. Shredding it in the process and chucking it into the bin, he put up a new notice in its place.

“YAH!! I was reading that!” Yoochun could feel anger boiling, but quickly ‘extinguished’ it when he saw Junsu’s mother and brother exiting the station. “Junho sshi! Here!” Yoochun waved his hands.

“Yoochun sshi? We apologise for being late… My father wasn’t feeling well.” Junsu’s brother and mother looked like they have been crying a fair bit, so Yoochun enquired.

“We received a call from the police station yesterday evening after you called. They found my brother…” Junho’s voice cracked as he tries to console the sobbing women. She was bawling so uncontrollably that Yoochun had to ease her to his car before continuing the man-to-man interaction. “They found his body.” Junho said as he clenched his jaws and looked away.

“No. This must be a mistake!” Yoochun wanted to shouted and swear, but quickly kept his temper in check. The world was spinning around him and he felt ready to faint, but he has two grieving persons in tow, so he had to be the better man.

“This way.” Arriving at the city morgue as directed by the police, a somber officer led Yoochun into the cold storage area while Junho and his mother hesitated outside. The woman refuses to go in no matter what, and Junho too, was adamant about staying outside. “The body is pretty mutilated… and decomposing… I do not recommend you to view the body… you sure want to?” The uniformed man asked Yoochun and the man nodded.

While inside the cool room, with an over powering stench of rot and formaldehyde. Yoochun had to cover his mouth with the collar of his coat.

Starting from the legs, the man pulled up the cloth. But by the time he reached the knees, Yoochun had already noticed the missing tattoo that is supposed to be on the ankle.

“This is not him! He has a tattoo on the ankle! I have one too!” Yoochun bent down and pulled up his jeans, revealing a dolphin tattoo on his ankle. “His is a micky mouse.” Yoochun muttered while the man looked back, unfazed.

“Nonsense! He doesn’t have a tattoo.” Junsu’s mother spoke up amidst the sobs, while still outside. Yoochun wanted to retort, but the woman doesn’t know of their relationship, so Yoochun had to stay mum. He made Junsu go for that painful inking session just to celebrate their sixth month together.

“Nevermind the body… there isn’t anything left for identification purposes anyway. Here are the belongings we found on him.” The stout man said and took out the big plastic bag from the storage box. “This was on the body when we found it. We think it is a robbery gone wrong… the robbers cut him up pretty bad.”

“NOOO!!! NOOO!!! MY POOR BABY!!!” The loud wailings that ensued caused Yoochun to bolt from the small room. Throwing up in the wash basin nearby, Yoochun situated himself inside a cubicle to think things through. He is really convinced that the body isn’t Junsu’s.

“How about a DNA test?” Yoochun returned and suggested calmly while the lady cried over the items on the table. Yoochun was sickened at the sight of the familiar green bag laid carefully on the cold metal surface. Junsu’s favourite items were amongst them.

Yoochun’s suggestion was ignored as the two busied themselves with grieving.

Junho was slamming the wall angrily, vowing to catch whoever murdered his brother. Junsu’s mother was a teary mess as she collapsed. Yoochun ended up bringing them back to Junsu’s house, where he had already cleared out his own belongings beforehand. He does not want them to know that he had been cohabiting with Junsu.

The day is as bad as it can get. Yoochun found himself drinking again at a bar while he tried to keep the negative thoughts away. The sight of Junsu’s pictures and belongings earlier, made his heart ache terribly. Drinking was the only way he can forget.

Deep inside, he tells himself that Junsu is alive, but even deeper within, he knows that the chances of Junsu being dead is equally high. He keeps trying to convince himself that the tattoo is missing, but he can’t help but doubt himself. The decomposition has marred the site pretty badly too. He even went to the extent of thinking that the tattoo is just his pathetic excuse to believe the boy is not the one lying in the morgue.

~End of Chapter 4~