Chapter 3

Iniquitous love

Hi! ^^

Thank you for your kind comments! And also your subscriptions! ^^

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“AIGOO! I already told you! It was dark. My phone rang, I answered and then I ran into… him.” Changmin said impatiently, repeating himself for the third time. “In case you do not know, I don’t like repeating myself.”

“Where was the location of the accident?”

“I am not too sure. In front of the train station?” Changmin sieved through his memory and came up with the best answer he can get.

“Is there anyone around him to witness, or anything we can identify him with?” the police officer asked as Changmin scratched his head tiredly.

“There wasn’t anyone… it was late. There was nothing on… him either. Why not wait for him to wake? We will know by then right?” Changmin suggested. The police officer agreed.

“Now… if you guys are done, I would like to go home for a shower and rest. Don’t worry. I won’t skip town, and I will turn up again, when… he is awake. Here is my name-card.” Changmin said wearily as he pulls out his name cards and issues them the nurses and policeman. “Call me again.” He said and left.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Changmin’s POV

My mind is in a whirling mess.

First, I knock down someone…

Then I found out the person is alright… so I am not screwed.

After that, I found out this person is a… freak? I don’t know about that one. Pregnant? Unbelievable!! But who cares? That’s really none of my business as long as the baby is fine.

Then I wasted my precious time entertaining the police… waiting for them to write in their documents like pre-school kids. I truly felt like I was talking to a bunch of kids…

But then again. I am at fault here… and I know… someone is probably worried about him… since he looks to be barely adult. Something tells me that this is not right though. He is a minor… wondering around on the streets. At a train station… Pregnant?

Why does this whole thing look like a scenario that just came off a drama script? Underage child runs away from home to live a high life… gets knocked up… gets dumped… has nowhere to go. The next best thing that happens will be... suicide? AIGOO!! If its suicide we are talking about here, then it is hardly my fault right? I AM SO CONFUSED!

I need to go back to the place!! I shouldn’t be making conclusions so hastily. There must have been something left at the scene right?

End of POV

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Instead of heading home, Changmin found himself driving back to the scene of the accident. It was still very early in the morning, so he is not afraid to drive the damaged car around.

Screeching to a stop somewhere near the site of the accident, Changmin got off and made his way to the bus stop where Junsu was. The rain hadn’t stop yet, but it is already in the drizzling stage, so Changmin did not give it much thought.

Dragging his still damp shoes along the wet roadside, Changmin scanned the area for any possible signs of a clue to Junsu’s identity. Then from the corner of his eyes, he saw a 'gleaming' piece of metal near his car’s headlights. It is Junsu’s ring.

Picking it up, Changmin headed back to the brightly lit bus stop for a better view of the wording carved onto the back of the strip of metal. Resting his rear end on the cold wet metal bench, Changmin’s long legs hit a sodden back pack, resting on the ground under the chair he was seated on.

Momentarily ignoring the ring, Changmin found himself zipping open the green bag and rummaging through it. Hoping that the kiddish looking haversack will give him some answers, Finding a simply wallet, and heaving a sigh of relief that is does not have a 'hello kitty' print on top, the man helped himself, digging out all the cards and finally spotting the one he is looking for.

“Kim Junsu. Gyeongju… 18…” Changmin looked on curiously. Staring at the ID picture, he scrutinized it and linked the smiling face back to the pale one on the hospital bed. “Ahhh… I know you now. Kim Junsu. Minor for sure!” Changmin chuckled stupidly to himself and placed the wallet carelessly beside him. Then, looking closely at the Polaroid he retrieved from the back of the wallet, Changmin saw the smiling face of another man, a young man, handsome and happy.

“The father…?”

“OH!! Phone?! !! … LOCKED? Aigoo!!!” The man cursed under his breath after failing to unlock the device.

Finding a pile of papers, Changmin started to read the wet transcript too, which is what use to be Junsu’s assignments. “… for an environmentally sustainable design… the parts…” Changmin squinted and attempted to read the smudged scribbling. Even he is unaware that he is grinning like an idiot. Junsu’s ugly handwriting really got to him and he couldn’t stop himself from becoming curious about what the boy does before the accident.

“Engineering student? Year 1… which school?” Changmin flipped the papers around in search for a school logo, but the prints were all smudged.

“Aigoo. Eh. Pencil case?” It does not seem to Changmin that the boy is a runaway, since there were no clothes around. Junsu was somehow packed like he was heading home from school after a long day.

“YAHHHH!! What the heck are you doing?! GIVE IT BACK YOU SLIMY BASTARD!!” A hand sneaking in from behind Changmin caught his attention, but the surprised man was too late. Before he can grab a whole of the hand, the robber is already on the way across the street, running at top speed. Spreading his pace as wide as he can, Changmin ran, but was still unable to catch up. Instead, he fell flat onto the wet floor, covering himself with murk.

“AHHH!!! AIGOOO!!! JINXED JINXED JINXED!!!” Changmin sat up and rubbed at his sore elbows while still holding onto the single photo. “I AM GOING CRAZY!!! What is this?! What is this?!”

The robber not only stole the wallet with all of Junsu’s identification documents in it, he also stole the entire back pack with everything inside. Now, Changmin is only left with a Polaroid, and a ring with ‘Chunnie loves Suie’ engraved behind it.

Leaving in a huff, Changmin shoved whatever is left of Junsu’s belongings into his car storage box and drove home for a good rest. He has to follow up on his stock market too, since he had wasted too much time 'fooling around'.

Arriving home to a huge mansion, Changmin tossed his keys into the key holder and called for the car repair to take the wreck parked outside. Changmin is a rich man, only 4 years older than Junsu, yet a tycoon. He may be the third generation in line for the inheritance of billions of dollars and many properties, but he still prefers to earn his keep.

As a stock broker, and an investor at the same time, the smart man is already a multi millionaire. However, with a temper such as his, no one would go near him unless necessary. Living alone, drinking alone, spending time stoning alone, is what he like best. And so he thinks.

Dozing off after a hot shower, Changmin slept to make up for the lost hours, wondering around in dreamland as he sleep talked.

“RRIIINNGG!! RRIIINNGG!!” The urgent sound of his phone jolted him from his slumber, and upon opening his eyes, Changmin registered that it is already dusk.

“Yeoboseyo? Yes… that’s me.” “Ahhh… oh… eh? He is?” “… I will come over now.”

Still half asleep, the tall man stumbled out of his comfortable oversized bed and prepared to leave his house. The hospital just called to inform him that Junsu is awake, and Changmin can’t wait to wash his hands off the boy’s case.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Junsu’s POV

It was dark at first… and then something opened up… and the light became blinding. 

I can’t see clearly at first… and then I saw my surroundings. There were many… noises around… many people. I don’t know them.

Lifting my hands up, I saw many different things stuck on them… and I don’t even know what they are.

The people talking over me is making my head hurt, but I didn’t say a word.

They looked happy to see me… seeing them. I think I am somewhere… but I can’t remember what they call the place with the white lights.

I tried to get up, but they pushed me back down almost immediately.

I asked them if they knew where this place is, and they said I am in the hospital.

What is your name?

Where do you live?

How old are you?

Do you know why you are here?

Are you in pain?

Is there anyone you want to contact?

I don’t know!! Why are they asking me all this?! How would I know?!

Just as I was about to ask them if they could tell me what is happening, the lady in white coat is all over me. Shining that eye piercing light into my eyes again, snapping their fingers at me, asking me to do things that I don’t really understand.

I am scared!! What is happening!? What are they doing?!

A lady in uniform even pressed a mirror into my hands and made me look at it. All I see is a person staring back. A scary looking thing was staring back at me, so I screamed.

They told me that is me that I am looking at… what is happening!?

End of POV

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Changmin entered the room and saw everyone crowding around the patient, chattering on and on while the small frame lay huddled up, curled up into a ball. The man can hear Junsu sniffling away and saw him pushing the hands away as they try to make him open up to them.

“What happened?” the tall man walked over cautiously, looking at the doctors while they looked at him helplessly.

“He can’t seem to understand or remember anything… We want to do a scan on him… but he is not listening to us.” The doctor tried again, to coax the trembling figure to comply. “I think his brain took more damage than we imagined.” The doctor signed and moved aside for Changmin to take a look.

“I know who he is.” Changmin started, unsure about how much they will believe him, since there is really nothing left to back him up.

“Should I try calling him by his name?” Everyone present just stared back, uncertain.

“Hey! Do you remember your name?” Changmin’s voice was similar to that of a thunder strike, loud and fierce, startling everyone as well as Junsu. A weak whimper emitted from the boy confirmed Changmin’s worse fear. The ‘creature’ in front of him is genuinely lost and confused, attacking him with big wet brown eyes while he bawled like a toddler.

“Hey hey hey! No need to cry! Listen. The nice people here will help you make sense of everything, so you just follow their instructions alright?” Changmin said in a firm, reassuring tone. Looking at Junsu confidently, willing the younger one to trust him. He did, and the scan is successfully completed.

“His brain looks… not so fine. There is nothing life threatening… but him losing his memory might be a side effect. We can’t tell for now. See the parts here? If the swelling stops here, maybe he will remember more.” The doctor sat with Changmin as she explained the problems to the man. None of the words she said did make sense to the man anyway, since Junsu’s admission til the current moment.

“Allow me some time to catch up with him. Oh… and do tell the police I already found out the kid’s identity.” Changmin dismissed himself and made his way to where Junsu is.

The boy is now sitting at the edge of the bed with his bad leg dangling freely, looking only at the single ray of sunlight that streamed into his room via the window. He looked almost angelic. Staring at the boy, Changmin found it hard to deny the innocence he exudes, yet he knows that innocence is not exactly present in his case, considering that the boy had a lover before.

Clearing his throat, the tall man got the attention of the boy while he stared back blankly. Seeing how dangerously pale the boy looked, Changmin decided to try taking it nice and easy. He does not believe that Junsu’s memory loss is for real.

“Kim Junsu.” Changmin said and observed the boy for any form of reaction. He received none. The boy turned his attention back to the shining spot and concentrated hard on it, as if thinking about something. However, nothing is really going through his mind, as he remained like a blank piece of paper. “Hey kid… how old are you?” Changmin attempted again. No reply.

Annoyed, the tall, well build man strolled over, pulled a chair over the ray of sunlight and stared Junsu in the face. With the drop of sunlight covered by the chair, Junsu started frowning and covered his face with his hands, not wanting to look at Changmin.

“Yah! I am talking to you. It’s rude to ignore someone who is talking to you.” Changmin tugged Junsu’s hands off and looked at the boy intently while the latter looked back, gazing equally hard at Changmin. The tall man can feel himself blushing hard as the boy closed in on him, scrutinizing his fine handsome features while he gawked at the boy’s beauty close up.

“Kim Junsu.” Changmin said again, and the boy continued staring at his face, focusing on his nose now. Changmin snapped and flicked the boy’s forehead, glaring at him angrily. Changmin hates it when strangers get too close to him. And so he claims.

“Kim Junsu?” Junsu replied pouting. “I don’t like Kim Junsu.” He repeated his own name. Changmin immediately felt the dying flicker of hope lit up and his eyes sparkled as he waited for a proper conversation to start.

“Why do you not like Kim Junsu? What do you remember about him?” Changmin asked excitedly.

“Kim Junsu hit me here. It’s painful.” Junsu pointed to where Changmin hit him earlier and rubbed the redden area on his own forehead. “Kim Junsu? As in ME?!" Changmin exclaimed while pointing a finger to himself.

"Listen here! I am not introducing myself! I am NOT Kim Junsu! YOU are Kim Junsu!"

Ignoring Changmin, Junsu pushed the tall man and tried to get a glimpse of the sunlight again. “YAH!! ARE YOU FOR REAL?!” Changmin lost it and started hollering at the boy.

“Shhh! I am thinking!” Junsu said with a serious tone and facial expression. Staring daggers at the boy who is still focusing on the sunlight, Changmin stomped out of the room.

“TSK! There you are! I found out who this kid is!” spotting the police officer, the furious man made his way over and tried to say his piece. “The kid’s name is Kim Junsu. And I know he is from g- gar… dong? Something like that. And he is a minor!! An eighteen year old minor!”

“Where did you get this information from?”

“I found his wallet! And his bag!”

“That’s great! Can we have them? A minor will require a guardian’s signature.We need someone to contact.” The policeman said.

“I don’t have them… someone robbed me while I was holding it.” Then it hit Changmin really hard, how ridiculous he sounds, even though he speaks nothing but the truth. The police officer’s expression, one of disbelief, says it all.

“… ...”

“Really!! I have the picture from his wallet as proof! A ring too!”

“Right… can we have those then?”

“My car is in repair… I left them inside.” The second embarrassing blow came and Changmin felt like he appears to be genuinely lying through his nose.

“… …”

“Aigoo… You have to believe me! Kim Junsu! 18! Not from Seoul!” Changmin implored the man in uniform to hear him out.

“Did you happen to memorise his ID number?” The policeman raised an eye brow. Changmin shook his head angrily.

“Aigoo! Whatever it is! He is not my problem anymore! I need to get on with life! I will pay his bills and his lodging until you find him his family.” Changmin sighed and sat down dejectedly.

“This is so screwed up! My life.”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Meanwhile…

In the evening…

Yoochun paced around the room, staring at his phone constantly. Finger hesitating in front of his speed dial button, the button to call Junsu.

Taking in a deep breath, he pushed the button and lifted the phone to his ears. Voicemail.

He tried again. Voice mail.

“Baby… can you call me back… please! I need to see you again. I miss you. I am sorry. I love you.” Yoochun whispered and hung up. Junsu never ignores his phone calls for more than an hour, especially after he says the three of those ‘three words’ phrases consecutively, and so sincerely. Yoochun knows Junsu is easy to manipulate, yet he loves that particular aspect of the boy. He loves the boy very much despite his cheating tendencies. That he knows for sure.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Hours later, in the middle of the night…

“Junsu baby! I know I am wrong… Please at least call me back. I will make it up to you! I promise!” Yoochun said and hung up again. This is his tenth call. All to voicemail. Panic hit him as he realises that Junsu might not get his messages at all.

However, he knows he had pushed it this time. He will just have to wait a week before calling the boy again. He ‘remembers’ giving the boy a week to ‘cool off’.

~End of Chapter 3~