the new target

Again, Today, I Love You

 

SUMMER, 1995

Leeteuk uttered a cry of pain when the doctor had his lower body examined.

“its okay, its okay.” The doctor said, but before he could continue examining him more as his hands traveled to his abdomen, and to the delicate areas where the marks were left untreated, leeteuk kicked his shin and pulled his pants up, hiding under the table situated to his left.

“jungsu!” mrs. Park shrieked. Park Haemi shook her head as she stood up to look for her son.

“go out there.” She said upon seeing him. but the more she told him to do so, leeteuk would only lunge his head towards the edge of the dark table, muttering words she couldn’t even understand. Now she hated why she had him learn to speak foreign languages “aigoo, how will we know you’re fine when you’re acting like that?”

“eomma its painful.”

“it’s the only thing we can do to determine what to do with you.” Mrs. Park blurted. The wrinkles, the wrinkles, she thought. all this that a singer actress could do for her son.

Leeteuk’s doctor smiled and invited himself to sit opposite where mrs. Park was. “its okay mrs. Park, we can do it next time.” he said. “when he’s more willing. I already saw some areas on his body that needed treatment. I can make a prescription.”

He scribbled items on a piece of paper as mrs. Park sat again.

“topical creams to alleviate pain on the bruised areas.” He explained, together with all other drugs. “but for better treatment, I suggest you take him to counseling.”

“my son is not a freak.” Mrs. Park uttered.

“your son is a victim.” The doctor emphasized. He placed the paper on mrs. Park’s trembling hands and stood up.

And he found leeteuk still under the table, looking like he was digesting details.

“oh, you’re listening too?” the doctor couldn’t help but to smile at a eleven year old boy listening to an adult conversation. “let me get you out.”

“no.”

“okay, one minute.” He told him. Leeteuk nodded and leaned himself on the wood situated at his back.

“how much will it take.” Mrs. Park interrupted the doctor’s communication. “I mean the counseling.”

“depending on how he will handle the situation.” The doctor said. “usually, young people like jungsu would need a lifetime.”

“a lifetime?”

“your son is nearing his teens.” The doctor explained again. “and he is growing. The more he realizes what he is dealing with, the more likely he would be afraid of his situation. Jungsu, are there anymore areas that appear painful to you?”

The doctor waited for leeteuk to reply.

“my behind hurts.” He said.

“how painful?” the doctor asked. He raised a palm in front of a worried mrs. Park. “can you rate it?”

“ten over ten.” Leeteuk said.

The doctor nodded and focused himself to leeteuk’s mother who was now looking like she was in a verge of tears.

“you need to be strong for your son.” He whispered, calming her down. “I already have a good recommendation on where you will go, who’s doctor you can confide in to. But right now, I am just jungsu’s pediatrician and we cannot hide the fact that your son is dealing with something that society considers abnormal. Your son is a victim, needs an immediate treatment so you could attend to his needs properly. “

Mrs. Park nodded and heave out few deep breaths.

“I shouldn’t have let him go out.” she said, regretting the time when she was busy to focus on leeteuk due to her acting career. “I was relaxed you know how much show business was, I want them to live normal. I didn’t give him rules.”

“it was unexpected. “the doctor said. “we didn’t consider this, Haemi. You know this.”

“that woman is a !” mrs. Park blurted. She was crying now, how it was unfitting for her, she didn’t care. “If it didn’t happen leeteuk could still be playing outside. He’s too young to experience this..”

“Haemi…”

“she ruined his future!” mrs. Park said. “he could have been normal if she only didn’t intrude into our lives! He’s only eleven, how could she.”

“can you tell me signs.” The doctor said. “what jungsu does when he’s in public.”

“right now, he doesn’t want to be outside.” Mrs. Park cleared , submerging her nose to the tissue she had just gotten from her bag. “and he avoids particularly everyone, specifically my kind.”

“but his relationship with your daughter seohyun?”

“she’s his sister, he didn’t show any signs of tension. They still have a good brother and sister relationship.” Mrs. Park said.

“that’s good. We can start from there.” The doctor said. he found it good that leeteuk was still able to communicate with his mother and sister. He knew that it could be a better foundation for leeteuk to start again. “mrs. Park, I will call Doctor Kang right now and he will give you his time where you can consult for him.”

He opted towards the phone when leeteuk emerged out of the table, sweating.

“eomma.” Leeteuk said.

“what is it teukie?” mrs. Park reached out for his hand. leeteuk inclined his self to her, thinking whether to tell her what he feels.

And he thought that it was the right thing to do.

“my body hurts.”

“I suggest you buy his medicine and start the counseling immediately.” The doctor looked at Mrs. Park in concern. Leeteuk’s mother nodded, let her son to sit on her chair instead and went to look for prescription medicine outside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PRESENT

FALL, 2012

 “what is this?”

Taeyeon pursed her lips, squinting, upon seeing a pink tulip lying solo on her table. She picked it up to observe every single detail of the flower which meant feasting her fingers on the petals down to the last part of the stem.

“the one at the front.” Her classmate and friend yoona whispered. She was referring to the guy in glasses sitting nervously on the first row, stealing glances every now and then to check if taeyeon had taken in the attention of noticing the flower. To his delight, taeyeon raised the material in front of him, smirking.

But taeyeon knew what smirking is all about. And smirking was already defined as some form of a smile combined with a hidden agenda. Generosity can be taken into account, yes, but to pass as someone to be her other half, honestly?

Taeyeon knew that this should not be taken seriously.

“you could have given a better flower.” She blurted at her classmate who seem to not digest what she was talking about due to the amazement he was experiencing from the University owner’s daughter talking back at him. Upon hearing how her friend reacted, Taeyeon’s another close friend, Jessica, rolled her eyes and resumed doing her business, a late homework that should be passed at the end of school day.

Taeyeon placed the flower on the side pocket of her gray blazer.

“I’m going out.” she said, suddenly interested to look towards the door.

“the teacher will arrive in minutes.” Yoona said.

 “tell her I went to the clinic.”

Taeyeon really didn’t want to attend classes today. She felt bored of doing the same usual routine: going to school, receiving all the attention, doing homework. She craves for something new, something that could give her the drive.

With the tulip tucked in her clothes, taeyeon closed the sliding door of her room and walked along the corridor.

Being a university owner’s daughter definitely has its own advantages, taeyeon thought, as she paced herself towards the corridor, down to the ground floor leading to the clinic. The teachers do not seem to mind. She would even pass the faculty area with her hand waving delicately at them like a passing movie star.

Taeyeon looked at the tulip for the last time and without hesitation, threw the flower to the nearest trashcan.

“you know, a bouquet should have been better.” She said, purposely talking at the trashcan, until her attention was captured by a nurse and a student talking inside the clinic. She really didn’t want to immerse in their business, who cares minding the health department? But taeyeon also sometimes enjoyed butting in to each people’s business, as if they were a piece of a reality tv show waiting to be watched by some eager viewers.

Taeyeon situated herself at the edge of the window sill outside the clinic to have a better view and hearing of the conversation between the two people inside. She could view the back of the student really well until he turned to his side to dispose a glove on the basin.

Taeyeon never thought that she could identify someone she knew that can be usually seen in their classroom’s television, announcing school news and upcoming events.  

And now she’s seeing him again, assisting a nurse inside the clinic.

The university student council president, Park Jungsu aka Leeteuk.

Taeyeon had her encounter with leeteuk a week ago when he saved her wounded self at the road outside their school. The student head had immediately tended on her when he saw her being dragged helplessly on the ground, with much dismay to the security who didn’t even notice the incident. He had prevented her bleeding and was present until a doctor came to check her up. Taeyeon’s father couldn’t believe that she only had a minor concussion, apart from the bruises on her palms and knees that until now, appear bandaged. Taeyeon would want to thank her savior personally but he was always not around when she was trying to sneak in on the council office. One attempt to attend his classes and she found herself being dragged away by her gaping father, knowing that she was out again to miss her classes.

Taeyeon could see leeteuk invading a space on the table, wiping his face with a cool towel while simultaneously talking to the nurse.

“you should have been a doctor, your hands are really light! I never saw someone who could treat wounds so easily.”

“I still practice at home, maam. But I can tell that you’re biased.”

“I’m not kidding! Why are you pursuing a college degree again when you’re already finished? There could have been better jobs for you.”

“I guess I love the school too much.”

Taeyeon could swear she could have gagged at the mention of loving school too much. But was he really into his second take at a college degree? If leeteuk’s already on his second college degree…

That makes him old enough? Taeyeon counted on her fingers to check on their , moving herself nearer to the window to have a better hearing of the conversation.

“i’m still not taking my hopes on you. You should get a degree in medicine someday.”

“when time comes, I might. But I’m just too interested in enhancing my knowledge right now.”

“aigoo. No doubt you’re every boy’s worst nightmare. You should take a break someday, go out and see the world, meet a girl.”

Taeyeon was surprised when the leeteuk only smiled and shook his head.

“you know the answer to that already.”

“you still cannot open yourself to someone?”

“I’m afraid that’s a yes.”

Taeyeon cringe her brows.  What’s with the president talking about not having a girlfiend? He was single for most of his life? Or was there someone or somebody who was the reason for him not having one?

“maybe gay?” she joked, distancing herself away from the windows. She was opting to return to the classroom, now that she heard too much information about him already. He could be a great topic on her blog, divulging fishy details on some authority could be really of good value.

Then she stopped. Suddenly conscious of the idea she was just thinking a while ago. She never used to think the consequences of sharing details. Why does it appear like she wouldn’t want to disclose what she just heard? The president and his no girlfriend since birth would have been a great topic, not that she’s always the most visited student on the school’s website. But somehow, taeyeon looked at her feet, wondering… she’s thinking of not telling what she just heard to anyone.

Taeyeon bit her lip. Why does she felt different all of a sudden?

----------------------------

HALLWAY, COMMUNICATION ARTS BUILDING

Park Seohyun silently opened the door of her classroom to meet her waiting brother sitting at the window sill, suddenly busy looking at his cellphone.

oppa.” She whispered, waving. Leeteuk closed his phone and stood up.

Seohyun, acting like a kid she was, closed the door and happily submerged all her weight  on her brother.

“you’re crushing me.” leeteuk couldn’t really breathe from Seohyun’s powerful hug. It was always a custom for his sister to do the gesture every time she would see her brother but nonetheless, everything seemed always like the first time. never underestimate a fragile looking girl on a look out for a loved one.

“miss you!” seohyun said. she leaned on leeteuk’s cheek and gave him two brisk kisses.

Leeteuk gently pulled her away. “aigoo, still acting like a baby?” he asked, looking at her. seohyun pouted, pinching him on the cheek.

“that’s what you get from not going home.” she said, loosening her hug. Leeteuk had been out from their home for almost three years, staying on an apartment he rented ever since he got out. a constant feud with his parents over a delicate matter made him to stay out from them for good. Leeteuk wasn’t really thinking to do this forever if they would only apologize.

Leeteuk opened his wallet and took out a piece of what looked like a credit card. “I forgot to give you your card.” He said, focusing on his agenda. “sorry, baby.”

aigoo, its okay. You shouldn’t be stressing on me too much.” Seohyun said. she took her credit card and stuffed the material inside her vest pocket. “do you still need anything?”

“no, thank you.”

Leeteuk felt so apologetic that he had no choice but to keep silent for a few seconds.

“I will try to budget what I’ve borrowed. And don’t worry I will pay you when everything’s okay.” He said. a project on his current course in the university made him shed a hefty amount of cash, making him to temporarily ask his sister for help. “its just, there was an unexpected homework for a school trip and I haven’t really focused on it.”

“because you’re busy helping other people. if only you could fix ties with eomma.” Seohyun trailed off. Not that she wanted to offend him, but she felt that leeteuk should talk to their parents. Three years without him at the household were already too long.

Leeteuk nodded too but only slightly. “I will only talk to them when they realize that they have a mistake too.”

oppa.” Seohyun said.She was really uncomfortable with the situation leeteuk got entangled himself into. Leeteuk and his present relationship with their parents.

“do you want me to bring you home later?” leeteuk changed the subject. it will be the only way he could spend time with his sister.

Seohyun’s disappointed face suddenly change into a smile.

“that will be nice.” She said. “I will be finished at five. Care to pick me up by that time?”

Leeteuk agreed. “I will be staying outside the gate then.” He said, patting her head.

“we should eat out, huh?”

“only if you have good grades at your calculus test.” Leeteuk pointed a finger at her. seohyun pouted and hit him gently with her fist.

“I’ve been asking help from kyu oppa.”

“kyuhyun?”

Leeteuk suddenly felt uncomfortable with seohyun talking about one of his best friends.

“what about kyu?” he asked, hoping that the topic doesn’t go away from kyuhyun helping her with her homework. He suddenly fumbled for his cellphone, absentmindedly typing words.

“well, he helps me at math.” Seohyun said.

“okay...”

“but he told me that I should go out with him if I ever scored good at this week’s test.” Seohyun said.

She looked at her brother to see his would be reaction and she was not that all surprised when leeteuk’s calm face suddenly started to appear uneasy.

“w-what?” leeteuk looked up. “what did you just say?”

“he told me that we should go out.” seohyun emphasized the word “out” that leeteuk could feel his knees weakened at such statement.

Leeteuk bit his lip and carefully thought out of some words that could not make seohyun be offended of his statement. He wanted her to be happy, but at the same time, he had felt uncomfortable of her going out with someone that he really knows. Not that kyuhyun was an unsuitable person for her. kyuhyun had been popular at their school for being the most sensible president at the college of architecture and for being an external vice president of the university student council. Additional to that, he is one of leeteuk’s best friends. He had known the guy ever since he could set feet on the ground.

“baby, he’s your senior.” Leeteuk just said, reminding seohyun of the . Kyuhyun is two years older than her.

“I know that.” She said. she began to look like she was thinking too. “I mean, yes, he’s one of your best friends and my friend too. but were just being friendly, and that’s if I ever got a good score on this week’s test. ”

“so you will really do that?”

oppa.” Seohyun pinched his brother’s hand. “if I tell you that I will, will you stop me?”

“well,  no, of course…”

“see, you’re allowing me already.” Seohyun could tell by leeteuk’s face that he had no choice but to oblige at her will. She hugged him again in the brisk and looked up in his eyes. “don’t worry, you will still be my number one.”

“number two.” Leeteuk corrected her. “father is your first.”

appa  is old.” Seohyun playfully hit his shoulder. “you’re my number one. And I am your number one. No girls should be around you. Only me.”

aigoo, so possessive.”

“well, the reason no one’s surrounding you is because you have a very perfect sister.” Seohyun said airily. she hadn’t really mean it, she would want leeteuk to be happy too. but she also knew that none of the girls around at the university could be capable of easing leeteuk’s behavior around girls. “speaking of girls. Miss kim taeyeon…”

Leeteuk looked at his watch, slightly frowning. “what?”

“the university owner’s daughter, kim taeyeon.” She replied.  “well, we have the same college. its weird that because of her always roaming around the school, her bandages and gauzes on her body started to turn into  a fashion statement. Have you seen it?”

“no.”

“its really funny. And everyone’s talking about how you saved her.” seohyun said. “you should go online, there’s this site at the school students’ blog trending about you and her. I don’t know, it seems like a couple hash tag, what does it call again, tae… tae..”

“ah, the next ‘IT’ couple, TaeTeuk!” she said, giving the leeteuk the urge to level up his frown. Seohyun smiled mischievously and poked his brother at the chest.

“don’t look at me like that.” leeteuk said.

“TaeTeuk’s a good couple name.”

“seo…”

“fine, I’m keeping quiet.” Seohyun placed a finger to her lips, shushing herself up. She hugged his brother again and planted a kiss to his cheek. “I’m just kidding. i love you too much.”

“I’m seeing you at five, okay?” leeteuk reminded her. seohyun nodded and tightened her arms around his waist.

“missed you really! I’ll wait for you at the main gate.” She said.

Leeteuk loosened her hug and looked at his watch again.

“I should go.” He said. “I’ll have a class in ten minutes. There’s a pop up quiz so I wouldn’t want to miss it.”

“okay, three hours, alright?”

“yes.” Leeteuk said.

“bye, I’ll see you later!” seohyun called out. she watched leeteuk disappear into a crowd of students until she returned to her classroom.

--------------------------

TAEYEON’S CLASSROOM, COMMUNICATION ARTS BUILDING

Taeyeon placed her pencil on the side of her notebook to take a peek on yoona’s notes.

How her friend always had the best essay, she doesn’t know. But she would always have the urge to get a gist of it to make it as her own every time she would make her essay too.

“you’re copying again.” yoona noticed. She would always tell taeyeon how unremarkable it is to get an idea on someone’s own work but the university owner’s only daughter would always get the best of the world. Anyhow, she would always tolerate it, even making Jessica, her other friend, angry of her. Jessica was the only one who could get angry at taeyeon with the latter always denying her fault.

She doesn’t even know how she could even stay friends with her. taeyeon’s existence at their university would always get girls to two sides—the obeyers and the haters. Taeyeon’s guts would always get into girls’ senses but she could also operate a girl to obey her, by means of looking up at her as a trend.

“just getting a gist.” Taeyeon jotted down some words on her paper until Jessica grunted and took her notebook away from her.

yah.” Jessica said. “go and make your own essay. Don’t get yoona’s, she’s had a hard time making her own.”

“well, could I copy you?” taeyeon asked, diverting herself to her.

aish.” Jessica threw a crumpled paper at her which she tore at her notebook. “you’re intelligent. Gosh, you could even answer a harder test without studying too much. Go and make your own.”

Taeyeon made a cute pout and resumed to look at her notebook.

“can I ask you something, yoong?”

“what?” yoona asked.

“well…” taeyeon leaned in to her chair, chewing the end of her pencil. “what do you know about the university president?”

Yoona scratched her head.

“you mean park leeteuk ssi?” she confirmed. Taeyeon nodded and laughed when yoona’s face turned in to a fit of surprise. She was not used to taeyeon bringing up a topic on the student council. Usually it would just be to what she cared about, emphasizing that her father had his hands on the school anyways to have her involve with it.

“I’m sorry, did you say leeteuk?” yoona asked again.

“yes, why does it appear that you look unsure about it?” taeyeon snorted.

Yoona closed her notebook and cupped her face with a palm.

“you don’t involve yourselves with the student council, much to the university wide student council because you thought they’re too different from you.” She said. “what about him? Yes, he’s our newly elected president, fresh from the public health and sciences department. In his senior year like us. ”

“did you know that he’s a double degree holder?”

“he’s really unbeatable at the male ranking site in our blog nowadays. Wait, did you say a double degree holder?” yoona asked, surprised. “how.. how did you know about it? no one knows about that.”

Taeyeon beamed, proud of herself.

“I heard him at the clinic earlier. He’s a licensed nurse. I forgot about it when he saved me, I think he told it to the security personally when he was busy tending on me.” she said, being careful of not divulging any more details such as leeteuk with no girlfriend since birth status. “I was counting his age, I really don’t know if---“

“he’s turning twenty seven in a few months now could you two stop talking?” Jessica intervened. She was pointing to the sign at the board which told them that they only have fifteen minutes to finish their essay. The teacher didn’t even seem to bother taeyeon talking in hushed tones others could partly hear.

“so that’s why he’s always at the clinic.” Yoona said, ignoring jessica’s remark. “I thought he’s just being helpful.”

“twenty seven, so he’s just two years older than me.” taeyeon counted her fingers. “that’s a good thing, I thought he’d be older.”

“you like him?” yoona asked. Before taeyeon could answer, Jessica threw in another paper at taeyeon’s desk, making the latter furious.

yah, your husband is the council’s director can you make him tell something about leeteuk?” taeyeon asked. Jessica’s eyes looked like they were about to pop from the sudden statement.

“I cannot believe this.”

“I cannot believe it too, can you believe it?” taeyeon joked. Jessica grunted and focused on her work, making yoona and taeyeon turn in to giggling buddies resuming to their topic.
 

------------------------               

USC (UNIVERSITY STUDENT COUNCIL) OFFICE

Leeteuk closed the door of the council office and hurriedly went for the elevator.

“meet with you tomorrow.” He told Kim Ryeowook, who bowed and made his exit at the nearest staircase. Leeteuk opened his phone and checked some messages from his sister, seohyun. The thought of meeting her excites him, since seohyun would always immediately vanish after her classes to do their homework while he stayed almost late at school doing some paperwork.

If only he could take her to their home.

“will pick you up now.” Leeteuk mouthed as he texted his words. Its always nice to have a sibling bonding time, an event he would always anticipate ever since he separated away from her due to his constant conflict with their parents.

Leeteuk suddenly stopped upon noticing that he left his file folder at his office.

When he returned, he found the university owner’s daughter inside, looking at the frames hanging on the walls.

 “spare keys.” Taeyeon uttered, somewhat reading his mind when leeteuk’s face shifted towards the opened door. She was not looking at him, but noticed the same leather shoes at her peripheral vision, stopping by the entrance. “the janitor who’s incharge of the cleaning gave it to me when I asked for it.”

Taeyeon, seeing that leeteuk was aimed to get his folder, stole the folder before he could have his hands on it and smiled.

“please give me that.” leeteuk said.

“I should just take a peek, if you won’t mind.” Taeyeon said, scanning the documents. “ah, sportsfest next month? There would really be? Cool. I thought you would have it next year for summer but I guess you would really want to have it before December huh?”

Leeteuk sighed and crossed his arms as taeyeon’s hand glided to the other papers.

“fine, you take it.” Taeyeon handed him the folder when she found that his expression became noticeably grim. “I have a spare copy anyways, appa has it on his computer so no need to tell me when’s going to be the next school activity or whatsoever.”

“but it will be nice if you always appear on our t.v. to announce.” she added, pointing a finger at him. Ever since leeteuk had saved her, she couldn’t take her mind out of his chivalry. Even students would acknowledge that too. the topic of leeteuk saving her suddenly became a trend at the school’s website, earning him an unbeatable popularity at the school’s hunk-o-meter.

Leeteuk cleared his throat and tucked the folder in his arm.

“tell me honestly. what do you want?”

“huh? isn’t it obvious? ” Taeyeon looked at him innocently. “I was going in and out of this office for a week, waiting for you to come by here but I guess you were also busy with your classes. Appa also told me that I shouldn’t come by to your department because apparently I’m missing my classes. I was almost thinking of getting of duplicating the key to this office so I could be here anytime I want though. Hey, that’s a great idea by the way, I get to hang out.“

“in short.” She said, as leeteuk’s brows form into a slight frown. “I am stopping by, as a society’s next generation leader, to acknowledge your actions from saving me one time when I had my acci-”

“its my duty.” Leeteuk cut her off. He couldn’t waste time right now, seohyun must be waiting at him at the main gate. “are we okay with it?”

“good thing you were really there or I would have myself die.” Taeyeon touched the pink band aid on her forehead, ignoring his persistence to end their conversation quickly. How she was always fascinated to take a second look to his eyes. something in leeteuk’s eyes made her think of stars twinkling in the skies.

Unconsciously, she placed both of her hands on his, which made leeteuk jerk and took two steps backward.

“h-how come, you almost hugged me when I was bleeding.” Taeyeon was surprised too. but she stopped when leeteuk’s beautiful eyes suddenly appeared scared. Though his outer appearance didn’t act that way, being scandalized or whatsoever, the window to his soul told taeyeon to stop.

And Leeteuk, upon seeing that she noticed his hidden expression, quickly closed his eyes and averted himself towards the door.

“Hey.” Taeyeon said. but before she could ask anymore for what happened, she found herself facing the door.

-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

preview on chapter 3: leeteuk sets up a meeting with the student council on the upcoming sportsfest until taeyeon interrupts their meeting with an unexpected announcement. will kyuhyun and seohyun finally get on a real date? what happens when leeteuk sees a dark shadow of his past creeping up on him? all will be revealed on the next chapter :)