you reject me, i accept you. when are we even?

Again, Today, I Love You

 

USC Office

Leeteuk sat on the chair opposite heechul and stared at the table, his eyes appearing forever glued to the mobile phone displaying his picture.

“nothing happened.” Was his words, though echoing to the four walls of the quiet office, some part of him seem unsure about talking the real deal between what happened that night. Although a part of him strongly suggested that nothing happened, a part of him would also want to take into account the what if’s of the situation.

That Kim taeyeon undeniably was with him last night, and the girl wouldn’t tell him the real score. Whether he appeared wasted in front of her or not, he was really unsure. He just hoped that he hadn’t done something inappropriate. For the university owner’s daughter could take it against him in a form of advantage.  Sometimes he wouldn’t want to think of it, but taeyeon’s persistence to always seeing him might be taken into account.

Heechul stared back as if the latter seem to be mistaken by his words.

“hey.” Leeteuk said. “I mean it.”

“fine. I just don’t get it why you got yourself wasted.” Heechul snapped. “and spending a night with no other than the owner’s daughter. Just imagine how the boss will confront you when he finds out that his only daughter slept with you.”

The university wide student council adviser took a second look at leeteuk’s semi body picture wrapped in a blanket with accompanying little sounds of disappointment.  Leeteuk’s picture, appeared really scandalous in every angle: his was most visible for more than a half of his torso, his face even in a side view position was clearly visible and the graphic representation of the picture which appears a little grainy seemed to add the effect.

“you said she sent this to you?”

“yes.” Leeteuk said, looking at his picture too. he really can’t believe he was not in his senses that time. he will not opt to do something like that again,  especially if it involves someone he barely knew, someone in the name of Kim taeyeon, who could do anything.  “aigoo, its really hard to take a second look. ”

He stared at the ceiling, trying to erase away some thoughts.

“I just don’t know what to do when this gets leaked, you know.” Heechul said, imagining how it would be broadcasted on the school in case it gets leaked.  “when the board finds out that this is a capture shot from taeyeon, I could imagine you being kicked out and I can’t support you from this.”

“I can explain myself.”

Heechul slapped his longtime friend’s shoulder, much to the latter’s dismay.

“park jungsu, you cannot explain yourself when you don’t even know what happened that night.” He said. “your presence to explain is not just enough. And you got yourself messing with taeyeon. You know how that girl can just twirl you into a snap. Ever since she laid eyes on you when you saved her. she could mislead the board every time she wants to. Gosh, why wouldn’t she tell you anyways?”

“I don’t know.”

Heechul cursed words under his breath. “that girl is really getting into my senses.”

“I don’t know why of all people…”

He stopped. Even leeteuk didn’t get the idea why taeyeon kept following him around. people kept telling him that he is her next target, particularly paying importance to his hero skills when he stopped her from bleeding profusely via the accident. He still didn’t get the idea why some popular girl like taeyeon would pay attention on him even if the only thing he did was to tend on to her wounds.

 

Maybe because of chivalry, women would want to expect on the newer generation nowadays?

 

Leeteuk shook his head. Taeyeon had been in a lot of relationships during her four year stay in college, and all the guys that had been linked to her where either varsity players or music geniuses. It was the only time that taeyeon had an interest with the highest member of the student council. popularity can still be taken into account, yes, leeteuk is also popular when it comes to student relations. But he still doesn’t have the idea why he was considered.

“I don’t know what to do.” leeteuk bit his lip. “she told me she wouldn’t expose it. I had a talk with her the other day but… ”

“not unless you disappoint her.” heechul corrected.

Leeteuk further slumped himself on the chair.

“be careful, every move you do is connected to her from now on.” Heechul said. “you just cannot move unlike what you’re doing before. She’s a big time in school and particularly keen on you. Really obvious too, her being involved so much with our sportsfest. ”

“why always me.” leeteuk mumbled.

Heechul slapped him on the shoulder again.

“get used to it, you’re a newly elected officer.” He said. then he pursed his lips, thinking of another situation ticking his mind. “anyways, I have something to ask.”

Leeteuk could see his friend slowly leaning towards him, as if avoiding to be heard.

“anyways, you and taeyeon.” He continued in hushed tones. “nothing really happened right?”

“none.”

“like really nothing?” heechul sounded doubtful. “there could be something, something inappropriate, considering that was your picture… and she didn’t mention what really happened, maybe she’s shy to talk about it? but I also don’t think that’s not the case because she’s--.”

“heenim.” Leeteuk closed his phone to prevent his friend from overseeing the scandal. He had weird thoughts too, looking back that the two of them were the only ones at his apartment.“I always sleep like that. it was just a coincidence that she was there.”

He frowned, hoping that he had his assumptions correct.

“you and your senses.” Heechul sighed. “that’s why you can easily be taken advantage. No drinking sessions when the guys are not around, okay? You’re too fragile. “

“I know.” Leeteuk said. “I’ll be careful next time.”

-------------------------

University grounds

“seo?”

Seohyun crossed her arms and pouted.

“what are you doing?” kyuhyun noticed his special someone’s unusual way of pouting. This gesture, as it seemed, look as if she’s contemplating into something she doesn’t like. He had seen this before, especially every time seohyun’s focusing on things that bother her. usually it would involve his brother, since leeteuk played a really big part in seohyun’s life.

“that.” Seohyun pointed to a smiling taeyeon just a few feet away from them with a glowing look on her face as she was observing an innocent leeteuk just nearby, busily looking at the blueprints.

“what about it?” kyuhyun noticed too. he can see taeyeon eagerly looking at leeteuk’s habits, appearing every inch amusing to her. even leeteuk’s frowning was considered a plus.

unni’s eyes are always on oppa’s” seohyun said. “it bothers me a lot.”

“she’s not doing anything.” Kyuhyun said.

“she’s checking him up.” Seohyun complained. “see that way of her eyes looking up and down on him.”

Taeyeon’s actions really appeared obvious but it appeared as if no one was paying attention, except seohyun who has a deep sense of protectiveness towards her brother. Not that seohyun wanted females to distance themselves to leeteuk, but there’s always something with persevering women that even she was scared of.

Scary unnis, she thought, reminding her of women that liked tagging along with leeteuk.

aigoo, seo.” Kyuhyun waved a hand in front of her, and she blinked, partially because of his swiftness. “continue doing your work, we need to finish the set up in a matter of two weeks.”

“I know I know.” Seohyun piled up some pieces of little wood to be needed for kyuhyun’s task. She started counting the little pieces, memorizing the details one by one.

“sorry.”

Seohyun sighed and after seconds of still contemplating, went to focus on her work on painting the little blocks.

“how are you doing, do you need help?” kyuhyun asked.

“why does this wood look too rough?” seohyun asked. “and why is it I am doing a man’s job?”

Kyuhyun smiled and pinched her cheek. “isn’t that what taeyeon assigned you?” he asked. “she assigned you to me. and unfortunately, I’m a soon to be architect, so my job here is regarding the construction process, so you have to work like me. “

“I’m sorry snow white but you have to work like the dwarfs.” He continued and busied himself up to cutting another piece of wood.

Seohyun looked at kyuhyun’s work, noticing how precise he was in cutting a long block into little pieces.

“that’s nice.” She commented.

“yeah, I need to practice a lot so I can build my dream house.”

“huh? that’s too early.” Seohyun said, although she knew that kyuhyun would be graduating next year together with her brother. She was two years their junior in college, but when it comes to age, she’s four years younger than her brother leeteuk.

“well, I’m getting old, I need to start building something for my wife soon.” Kyuhyun said.

“ah, really….”

Kyuhyun did a little laugh and he looked at seohyun, the latter blushing into a cute shade of pink.

“your future wife must be lucky.” She mumbled. Seohyun had started hating herself when she had thoughts of becoming one. She would be hitting herself for some punishment later.

“yes, you are lucky.” Kyuhyun said. seohyun stared at him for a couple of seconds and he smiled again, the usual mischievous smile that he always does. Her heart tumbling in jolts had made her to put a different paint to her block.

Kyuhyun noticed her mistake.

aigoo, seo, that’s supposed to be pink!”

“huh? What?” seohyun’s mind started to dart back in to a snap when she found herself wasting paints. “aigoo, I’m sorry, I forgot, I thought it was one, aish….”

“too much worrying about the future I see.” Kyuhyun said. seohyun blushed even more as she searched new blocks for replacement.

-------------------------

Kim Daesung’s office, rooftop

appa, this is incomplete.” Taeyeon said.

“that is the complete record.”

“are you sure?” taeyeon asked, skimming through the files. She was looking at the details, every single part of it, but the data somewhat resembled an incomplete work.

“are you doubting the school records? That one shouldn’t be viewed anyways.”

“so these are the only things related to leeteuk?” taeyeon verified, twirling a piece of pen between her delicate fingers. “only the apartment address, no names of the parents, yes the birth date is exact, and the academic achievements, but how come these are the only things you got?”

She almost resembled a disguised detective, only that she was a little bit more on the girly side.

“why is it that you want an information from him, are you some kind of a detective?” mr. kim kidded. taeyeon rolled her eyes, she had been always unused to her father joking around at times she wouldn’t need it.

“I don’t get it why he’s on a scholarship while her sister is not.” taeyeon said. even leeteuk’s parents were a mystery. How could the school allow such a thing? What if something happened to leeteuk, how could his parents be contacted? Or there’s something with leeteuk and his parents?

 then she suddenly smiled. “hey, can I have an information about park seohyun instead?”

“no.” mr. kim said. “that’s the only thing I can provide you with for the day, no more intruding to students.”

appa!” taeyeon whined. “its important!”

“some things must be put into limits, unless you want  to become a saesang.” Mr. kim said. taeyeon pouted at the site of leeteuk’s file folder being taken away from her. “and I’ll make sure I’ll keep the keys so you wouldn’t peek through this.”

Taeyeon gritted her teeth and sighed, focusing on a photo frame of her family picture.

“you’re still keeping this?” she mused, partly amazed at how her father still kept an old picture of her mother during taeyeon’s younger years. Her hands glided on the frame, specifically to the face of her mother who appeared really happy during the moment. She really missed her existence, wondering how her mother was able to survive ever since she had left them.

Mr. Kim shrugged and busied himself to typing an important document.

appa.”

“yes.”

“can I see her?”

Mr. kim looked like he was not in the mood to answer her question, evident by his heavy typing and constant clicking on the mouse.

“I don’t even know where she lives, why do you still want to see her?” he asked, rather pensively.

“she’s my mother, I don’t think there’s a need to explain why.”

“are you in doubt of my parenting skills?”

appa.” Taeyeon said. there goes her father again. “I’m sure a lot of daughters out there want to see a glimpse of their own mothers.”

She didn’t know why out of all these years, the heartache of her father still dwelled. It would almost be sixteen years, her father could have remarried but he stayed as is, the single parent who makes a living for his daughter.  

“no.” was mr. kim’s reply.

“but appa.”

“mention your mother again or I’ll make sure you don’t see her forever.” He said.

“I don’t believe this.” Taeyeon said. “just why? I just don’t understand why you’re doing this to me.”

“because I said so and there shouldn’t be more questions. ” mr. kim said.

The chairman of taeyeon’s school slammed the file of papers next to him and closed his eyes, the memory of her past wife still clear to him. He tried forgetting her all these years but he cannot. Now that taeyeon was resembling more of her mother nowadays, the pain seem to become bigger.

“taeyeon why don’t you go out, I think I want to be alone for the moment.” Mr. kim said. “please.”

“tsch.” Taeyeon got herself up and paced towards the exit.

------------------------

Leeteuk closed the door from his office and hurriedly went to the elevator.

But before he could cross over the entire hall, his feet had stopped upon hearing a sniffing person leaning on the balcony. He didn’t know why he was always accustomed to halt whenever something goes on. The university wide president walked a few steps more until his eyes could clearly view the girl wiping her tears dry.

Kim taeyeon?

She looked like she was about to throw her mobile phone when she hesitated, looking at the picture on her wallpaper that made Leeteuk didn’t even know if an embarrassment could surpass a higher level than the situation.

Taeyeon then noticed that he was there and she closed her phone in a snap.

“oh, its you.” She said, wiping her face with a hand. “I’m supposed to throw this phone out of anger but I have your wallpaper so I guess I shouldn’t. I forgot that I promised you never to show it unless you disappoint me.”

“um… its my mother, you know. Appa and I talked about it earlier.” Taeyeon continued, when she noticed that he was not replying. Or even if he wants to, he looked as if he was loss for words. “he was prohibiting me to see her. I kind of, want to meet her. I never met her since she left. Gosh, why am I telling this to you.”

She cleared and went on.

“nice outfit by the way.” Taeyeon said, referring to leeteuk’s casual clothes. “though I don’t know if that’ll surpass your half ness here but I think it’ll suffice.”

“excuse me?” leeteuk said.

 “I’m just kidding.” taeyeon blocked him from walking towards the opened elevator. She signaled the elevator man to close, much to leeteuk’s embarrassment.

“I should go.”

 “can you please just stay for a while, I’m in a bad shape.”

Leeteuk’s eyebrows form into a frown. “you have your girlfriends.” he said.

“they… they don’t know my family history.” Taeyeon said, rather unsure of herself whether it was proper to reveal to him another secret. “um, just hidden. I’m prohibited to tell anything regarding my mother. But you saw me so I have nothing to hide.”

Leeteuk clung some of his school materials tightly to his side.

“I can just pretend that I didn’t hear anything.” He suggested. “or just pretend that I don’t exist. Please, I have matters to attend to.”

“you cannot pretend when you already know everything.” Taeyeon said.

Leeteuk stopped again and had himself turn towards her direction.

“why me?” he asked. he had wanted to ask this for a long time, ever since that she was paying a lot more attention to him after her accident. He had tried searching for answers, which ridiculed him in some ways for considering. “I mean, I have nothing against you. I just don’t why you keep on tracking me. I just saved you… that’s all right? Its just one save. And here I am always being entangled with your situation ever since. Ever since.  I just really don’t get it.”

Taeyeon frowned.

“that one save means a lot.” she said. “I don’t know if you are just being insensitive of my doings or you’re just too innocent to notice one.”

She sighed, and walked closer towards him.

“ever since that day when I saw you worrying out for me.” she explained. “when you held me…. when you saved me from bleeding profusely, when I thought I was going to die… was the biggest heck of worry I’ve ever seen my entire life. I was deeply moved by it until now. I don’t know what it means to you but it means to me in a lot of ways you could have ever imagined.”

The scene started to flash on her mind, the road ahead, too much blood, her vision almost blurring when a pair of feet was running to her direction, an angel was there for her in a face of a student leader wearing a public health and social sciences department uniform. She could still feel the weight of his strong arms cradling her, and the voice which told her that everything was under control.

It was leeteuk who made her look to a life worth expecting.

“I like you park jungsoo.” Taeyeon said. “I think I really like you. I can put it that way.”

Leeteuk looked at her in the eyes and cannot sense even the slightest trick in it.

A statement of deep concern?

“kim taeyeon…”

“usually I don’t have any lag time for a boyfriend.” Taeyeon said. “but I don’t know why right now I am. Maybe I’m just waiting for you huh? This could be the perfect timing. ”

she paused and her face suddenly changed in to a her usual look, the smug one that could crash an enemy.

aish, why am I being cheesy. What I mean to say is…” she said rubbing her arms from feeling the goosebumps. “you and I… could be the power couple of the new generation. I am a high society’s love child, and obviously some lass like me would be needing someone fierce and powerful, like a student body president. Like you. It’s a real good timing, just exact. No more dating varsity players, just found out that the only thing that they like about me is my physicality.”

She held his hand and for the moment he just looked at it.

Then leeteuk looked again at her and did a slight smile.

“thank you.” He said, inhaling deep breaths. “but I’m sorry… I cannot accept.”

------------------------

School grounds

“is that taeyeon?” kyuhyun pointed to a mad looking taeyeon rushing towards the nearest washroom.

Seohyun looked out too and watched as taeyeon slammed down the door which echoed too much that some of the students passing by had stopped to see what’s going on. Yoona, who was too busy keeping up with donghae, hurried towards the area upon noticing the commotion.

“yes, its her. she looks upset.” Seohyun said. “something went on?”

“maybe something happened.” Kyuhyun said. “back to agenda. You are still not finished painting the little blocks.”

Seohyun pouted and continued doing her work.

“you can just tell me if you need rest.” Kyuhyun said. he had been watching her for almost ten minutes now, and seohyun always does little sighs of her own, giving him a hint that maybe she’s not into painting or doing some craftsmanship.

“let me have that.” kyuhyun took a little piece of block and stole seohyun’s brush. At first he held the little block up high, then started swinging the brush like a pro, the color of pink landing on the smooth surface.

Even seohyun couldn’t help but to be amazed at kyuhyun’s delicate hands doing some perfect . He was the complete opposite of her, and sometimes she wondered when she could be doing something good too.

“I know, I’m so good right?” kyuhyun asked upon noticing seohyun’s mouth in a little gape. Seohyun briskly closed and made a slight grumble, making sure that she hit his foot before proceeding to her work.

“need help?” someone from the back caught the attention of the two and kyuhyun turned around expecting to see one of his best friends.

“oh, heenim hyung, take a sit. Little seohyunnie needs your help.” Kyuhyun smirked. Heechul sat opposite the two and took some blocks too.

“looks like you’re not amusing her.” heechul said. he looked to his left and waved. “sica, come here, we need help.”

Jessica raised a brow.

“you need help?” Jessica questioned and hesitated, when her husband did some puppy look she herself couldn’t even resist. “aigoo, not that again, yeobo.”

“sit with me, let’s paint.” Heechul said.

Jessica intricately observed seohyun’s work and noticed some little off paints here and there.

“s-sorry.” Seohyun said, purposely hiding some of her works. Jessica shook her head and took some blocks.

“this can be repaired.” She said. somewhere in the tone of her iciness was a slight smile that assured seohyun that she’s doing okay.

“you know my wife.” Heechul said. “some says she’s an ice but she actually has a good heart. hey, what actually happened to taeyeon?”

“huh?”

“forget it, it looks like you didn’t notice.” Heechul said. Jessica looked out too to see some signs of her friend. No taeyeon for almost two hours. Even her other friend  Yoona suddenly disappeared, leaving donghae doing the advertising work alone.

“um… its good that  you and taeyeon unni..” seohyun began.

“you mean friends?” Jessica completed the sentence for her. “its not weird that she’s being friends with me, but imagine being friends with yoona. Poor girl, taeyeon always copies her works. I don’t even know how yoona can stand it.”

“you’ve been friends with her ever since?” kyuhyun asked.

Jessica took the big brush from kyuhyun’s tool box and started painting too. “no, just in high school.” she said. “were both from the theater club. It just happens that we both like to sing and stuff.”

“they had a small group back then, taeyeon is always used to getting the leader spot.” Heechul added.

Jessica looked at seohyun with a slight worry.

“your brother, the president.” She told her. “tell your brother to be careful, I think taeyeon’s liking him for a while now. She’s not used to not getting what she wants and she will persist for it even if it takes her time.”

“what do you mean?” seohyun asked.

“it just means he has to be her boyfriend or else.” Heechul said. “the common factor.”

“how come the president doesn’t like taeyeon?” Jessica asked. “its not typical. Usually guys would like her back.”

Seohyun and kyuhyun stared at each other, knowing that they know the hidden answer to the question. It would be weird if leeteuk’s friends didn’t know about his past. It was a big thing that changed entirely his existence to the real world.

“and I did notice that the president doesn’t even have a girl friend in his stay at the university.” Jessica added.

Seohyun bit her lip and decided to think of other options . “w-well.”

“who would like a girl when you’re afraid of a girl yourself.” Heechul mumbled.

Jessica looked at him in surprise.

“I mean, scary girls.” He corrected. but something in jessica’s stare told him that she was not believing him.

yeobo.”

Seohyun waved out a hand. “unni.” She said. “its something personal. If you think something’s going on, I just wish you wouldn’t ask any more of it.”

She couldn’t tell about leeteuk’s past. She couldn’t tell it even if Jessica meant a lot to heechul. Even heechul couldn’t reveal the past to his wife because Jessica is a close friend of taeyeon. And knowing leeteuk, who would not opt to reveal anything especially to one girl in the name of kim taeyeon who would do anything just to get him.

“okay, past is a history I guess.” Jessica said.

Heechul blew out a sigh of relief.

 

When it was almost evening, seohyun noticed that there were still no signs of taeyeon around. but it occurred to her that something must have happened when Jessica started to disappear too. the over all meeting ended with an almost finished display work of the sportsfest with leeteuk very expectant to the result. He accompanied seohyun later that night to kyuhyun’s car before heading home to his apartment at Kangnam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leeteuk couldn’t believe that he was running on an early morning. It would have been fifteen minutes since the start of his classes when he got an apparent miss call from Kim Daesung, the owner of the university.

He didn’t know why but it would be the first time ever since he was offered the highest position that he will have an emergency meeting without having any agenda.  It could be an impulse for Kim Daesung’s part, but it would be ambiguous too if leeteuk sees the entire board.

And he was right. When Leeteuk opened the door he saw Mr. Kim at the center of the table together with some of the board of directors. Even the dean from his department was there. Leeteuk didn’t even know whether to expect something bad or good. He had been favoring to good hopes ever since.

“good morning.” leeteuk bowed at everyone. Before finding for any position to sit down, he saw a figure of a girl beside the south Korean flag displayed on mr. kim’s right.

Kim taeyeon was there too, her face not entirely in the usual sarcasm. She looked entirely silent, thinking of what to do, evident by her teeth constantly biting her thumb as her other arm got tucked in to her side.

“mr. park.” Mr. Kim said. “the board here and I, would like to inquire you of something.”

Mr. Kim didn’t hesitate to waste time and took out a printed copy of leeteuk sleeping at a bed with only a blanket wrapped from below his torso.

“I got this from a student, who told me that he saw a picture of this and I thought I should stop him from disseminating this but I don’t think that will be the case.” mr.  kim said, as leeteuk’s eyes darted to his picture.“is this you?”

Leeteuk couldn’t say no. it was definitely him even if his face got only captured at the side.

appa.” Taeyeon said. “could you at least let me explain?”

“I’m sorry, forgive my daughter, she always likes butting into things.” Mr. kim told the other board of trustees. he turned to leeteuk again who could barely sit and only stand, noticing that all eyes are on his. “could you answer my question, mr. park.?”
leeteuk’s sweat trickled on the side of his head.

No,  he couldn’t deny it. even if he denies it, he knew he would be in constant debt for lying. He looked at taeyeon. He would be in the point of accusing her when he realized that it would only mean that he’s guilty. Did he disappointed taeyeon that much that she decided to spill what she just saw? But half of leeteuk’s thinking wouldn’t consider so since taeyeon didn’t seem to look pleased at the incident. She was also surprised like him, although she was trying to calm herself by thinking of something.

“there are sanctions when something like this goes on.” Mr. kim said. “inappropriate behavior, in the code of conduct which I presume you know since you have the highest position among the students here.”

Leeteuk sighed and decided to speak up.

“yes I knew the sanctions.” He said. “and I wouldn’t deny that the one in the picture is me.”

He had anticipated sounds and he was not wrong, everyone from the board started talking about the consequences of the picture.

appa!” taeyeon hissed. But no one was paying attention to her, even her father. she had accustomed herself to this, she would also sometimes in to board meetings ever since she could talk.

But she couldn’t just keep herself silent.

“there are ways in which there are punishments.” Mr. kim told leeteuk. “ I would be discussing first with the board what to do with it. it wouldn’t be a major scandal if it doesn’t involve you, being a respected leader and newly elected president of the university. Jungsu, you know I like you but I think I am not in the position to consider this photo as tolerable.”

Taeyeon couldn’t stop herself anymore.

“that picture is mine.” she bellowed.

Mr. kim and the board suddenly looked at Daesung’s only daughter still standing beside the flag post.

“I’m sorry, taeyeon?” mr. kim said. “what are you saying?”

“that picture is mine, I took it.” she said, as leeteuk stared at her in disbelief. She stared back at him without displaying any form of emotion then back at everyone to which she is in need of explaining.

“what does this mean, I don’t get it.” mr. kim put up his fingers and started pointing. “are you two…?”

appa, can’t you see, that came from my phone.” taeyeon said. “upon sleeping, I took a picture… I took a picture of my boyfriend.”