The Wall Between Us - Chapter 9

The Wall Between Us

"Woohyun!"

Sunggyu ran over and grabbed Woohyun, cradling him in his arms.  He glanced at the man beside Woohyun, hands covered in Woohyun's blood.  Sunggyu glared at him and reached out a hand to grab the collar of his shirt.

"You-" Sunggyu began but he felt Woohyun's hand holding onto his arm, trying to stop him.

"It wasn't him," explained Woohyun in his weakened state.  "He's my boss."

Sunggyu slowly released his hold on the man's collar when he heard the ambulance siren echoing in the night.


As soon as the door to the emergency room opened, Sunggyu brushed past the doctor and he hurried inside to check on Woohyun.

The doctor was slightly surprised by his Sunggyu's actions, but he did not try to stop him.

"How is he, doctor?" Howon asked.

"He'll be fine," informed the doctor.  "Are you his family?"

Howon shook his head.  "No, I'm the owner at the cafe he works at."

"What about our hasty friend in there?" the doctor queried, hinting at Sunggyu.

"I'm not sure," replied Howon.


Sunggyu held onto Woohyun's hand as Woohyun lay unconscious on the bed.  With his other hand, he caressed Woohyun's face tenderly.  He blamed himself for letting Woohyun suffer.  He had promised to protect the boy and yet this happened.  Woohyun stirred at his touch and slowly opened his eyes.  He smiled seeing the older man by his side.

"I'm sorry," Sunggyu apologised.

"Why are you apologising?" Woohyun asked.  "It's not your fault."

"I should have been there earlier, then this wouldn't have happened," stated Sunggyu.  "It's my fault.  I won't ever let you out of my sight again."  He leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on Woohyun's lips.


Howon sighed and walked away after witnessing the scene between the two.  The doctor, too, turned to walk away, pulling out his phone as he did.

"It's me," said the doctor when his call was answered.  "Do you want to hear the good news or the bad news?"

The person on the other end groaned.  "Do you know what time it is?"

The doctor smiled knowing very well how much the person hated to be woken up in the middle of the night.  "Now you know how I feel when you do it to me."

"Tsk.  I'm hanging up," replied the person.

"I found him," the doctor said casually.

"I'm coming," the person stated when he heard the news.  "Where is he?"

The doctor rolled his eyes at the person's instant change of attitude upon hearing the good news.  "Don't you want to know what the bad news is?"

"Spit it out," demanded the person.

"You have competition," informed the doctor with a delightful smile.  "A fearsome one too."


The group of youths waited impatiently in the darkened alley.  They were slightly on edge and nervous at what had happened earlier.  When they heard footsteps, they all turned to see a alone figure approaching towards them.  They breathed a sigh of relief when they saw who it was.

"We did what you asked," the leader told him.  "Where's our reward like you promised?"

The figure smiled.  "Of course," he replied.

Reaching into his pocket, he drew out two guns and shot each of the youths before they even had a chance to react.  He noticed the leader was still squirming on the ground as he tried to get away, despite bleeding profusely from his bullet wound.  The figure walked over to him and stepped on his back, preventing him from going any further.

"Why?" cried the leader.

The figure smiled.  "I did promise you a reward," he replied.  "I'm sending you off to a better place."

"Please don't kill me," the leader begged desperately.  "I don't want to die."

"Everyone dies eventually," said the figure.  "You should thank me.  You'll no longer have to be in this tainted world."  He aimed his head at the back of the youth's head.

"No, please," begged the leader in tears.

Ignoring the pleas, the figure pulled the trigger.