The Wall Between Us - Chapter 6

The Wall Between Us

Sunggyu lowered his gun when he realised who it was.  Woohyun stared in shock at Sunggyu as he noticed the blood dripping down Sunggyu's side and onto the floor.  Woohyun ran over to him as Sunggyu stumbled back.  He helped Sunggyu onto the sofa.  Blood poured out from the bullet wound in Sunggyu's stomach.  Woohyun panicked as he pressed his hand over the wound to try and stop the bleeding.

"There's too much blood," cried Woohyun.  "We have to get you to a hospital.  I'll call the ambulance."

He got up to make a call but Sunggyu pulled his arm back.  "No," said Sunggyu, shaking his head.

"But-" Woohyun started to protest.

"Just get the bullet out and I'll be fine," said Sunggyu.  "You'll have to help me."

Woohyun helped Sunggyu into the bedroom where he removed Sunggyu's blood stained shirt to reveal an elaborate tattoo covering his entire back.  A tattoo which marked who he was.  Woohyun was startled at the realisation of what Sunggyu was but he pushed his thoughts and worries aside and focused on helping Sunggyu.

Sunggyu took several gulps of cognac straight from the bottle before letting Woohyun tend to his wound.  He saw the hesitation and fear in Woohyun's eyes and he hated to put such a burden on the boy.  Woohyun grimaced at the amount of blood pouring out from Sunggyu's wound but he knew he had to put on a strong face to help Sunggyu.  He tried to steady his trembling fingers as he worked at extracting the bullet.  Sunggyu gritted his teeth and clenched his fist, not even uttering a sound but Woohyun knew the man was in pain.

Beads of sweat glistened on Woohyun's forehead as he concentrated on the delicate task.  He breathed a sigh of relief when the bullet was finally out.  Sunggyu let out a brief smile as he looked at Woohyun.  He raised a hand to touch the side of Woohyun's face.  Woohyun smiled at Sunggyu's gentle touch.

"You did well," commented Sunggyu.

As Woohyun cleaned and bandaged Sunggyu's wound, he found that the older man had fallen asleep.  He sat there admiring Sunggyu's gentle sleeping face.  Unconsciously, he reached out a hand to caress Sunggyu's serene face but the sound of the door buzzer jerked him back to reality. 

"What am I doing?" he questioned himself as he quickly retracted his hand.

Woohyun wondered who it could be at this hour of the night.  He didn't want Sunggyu to be disturbed so he closed the bedroom door and walked out to see who was at the door.

"Sunggyu, open up!" said Sungyeol.  "I know you're in there!"  He continued pressing the buzzer on the door until it finally opened.  "I thought you die-"  His words were cut short when he realised it wasn't Sunggyu at the door.  He was rather surprised and confused to find the boy from the restaurant answering Sunggyu's door.


Sungyeol sat on the sofa trying to comprehend the situation after hearing Woohyun's explanation.  Woohyun stood in a corner as they both tried to avoid waking Sunggyu.

"He thought I didn't notice that he got shot," said Sungyeol.  "That idiot, stubborn as always.  Figured he might need a hand to patch up, but I guess I was worried for nothing."  He turned to look at Woohyun.  "You're pretty capable."

Woohyun remained quiet.

"I'm actually surprised and a little shocked," continued Sungyeol.  "He's not one let his guard down and definitely not one to let a stranger into his home."  Sungyeol kept his eyes on Woohyun.  "You must be special."  He got up and headed for the door, but stopped halfway.  "He's a good friend of mine," said Sungyeol as if warning Woohyun.  "Make sure you look after him well."  He walked as Woohyun closed the door after him.

Sunggyu wandered out from the bedroom to find Woohyun standing at the door with his back to him.  Sunggyu slowly approached Woohyun.

"What are you doing standing there?" asked Sunggyu.

Upon hearing Sunggyu's voice, Woohyun gasped as he turned around to face him.  "You should be resting," said Woohyun.

Sunggyu smiled as he ruffled Woohyun's hair.  "I'm not that weak," replied Sunggyu.  "I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have put a kid like you through that ordeal."

Woohyun lowered his head and looked to the ground.  "Is that all I'll ever be to you?" asked Woohyun.  "A kid?"

Sunggyu was taken aback by Woohyun's words.  Before he could process the meaning of those words, he felt Woohyun's soft lips  upon his.  Sunggyu was surprised at Woohyun's actions, but the taste of Woohyun's lips made him lose all self control.  He pulled Woohyun into his embrace as he returned the kiss.  Sunggyu's desire took full control when he pushed Woohyun against the door as they continued to indulge in the passionate kiss.  Nothing else mattered at that moment.  They were locked in a deep kiss for what seemed like an eternity, until Sunggyu came back to his senses.  He abruptly broke away from the kiss.  He grabbed Woohyun's shoulders and distanced himself from him.  He could see the hurt and confusion in Woohyun's eyes.

"We shouldn't," said Sunggyu, shaking his head.  "I'm much older than you.  Old enough to be your father."