The Wall Between Us - Chapter 13

The Wall Between Us

Sunggyu rang his home phone to let Woohyun know that he was on his way back.  He didn't want Woohyun to be up waiting too late.  The phone rang and rang, but no one answered it.  Sunggyu wondered if maybe Woohyun was asleep.

Sunggyu headed up to his apartment and panicked when he saw the front door wide open.  He ran inside and searched the place.  No sign of Woohyun.  His mind started racing with all sorts of thoughts until he saw an envelop addressed to him on the coffee table.  He quickly read the letter and scrunched up the piece of paper in anger.


Woohyun regained consciousness and found himself restrained to a chair with his arms tied behind his back.  He tried desperately to break free, but the more he struggled, the more pain he felt.  He looked around the empty room, wondering where he was.  At that moment, a group of masked men in black entered the room.

"Who are you?" Woohyun asked them.

The men laughed.  "No need to fear," one of them assured him.  "He'll be here to save you soon enough."

Before Woohyun could wonder who the man was referring to, loud screams were heard outside the room.  Moments later, the door to the room flew open as Sunggyu appeared.  Behind him lay the fallen bodies of his victims who had blocked his path.  The men inside the room all pointed their gun at Sunggyu.  Sunggyu's eyes narrowed in a menacing glare as he stood with the blood stained sword in his hand.  His eyes flickered when he caught sight of Woohyun in the centre of the room surrounded by the group of men.

As Sunggyu took a step forward, one man immediately pointed his gun at Woohyun.  The man pressed the nozzle of the gun firmly against the side of Woohyun's head, daring Sunggyu to take another step.  Sunggyu looked at Woohyun's frightened face and stopped in his step.

"It's hard to imagine that a man as powerful and dangerous as you, would be bound by such a thing," said the man, indicating to Woohyun.

"He has nothing to do with this.  Let him go!" demanded Sunggyu.

The man laughed.  "Rest assured, we are not here to hurt him," said the man.  "In fact, we are here to help him."

"Help him?" questioned Sunggyu.  "With what?"

"The poor boy's parents were killed ten years ago when they were caught in the crossfire between two rival groups," stated the man with a hint of amusement in his voice.

The man's words had Woohyun surprised.  He wondered how the man knew about the death of his parents.

"Now," said the man turning to look at Woohyun.  "Do you want to know whose bullets killed your parents?"

"Shut it!" Sunggyu shouted out.

Hearing Sunggyu's voice, Woohyun looked at him.  He could see the anger in Sunggyu's eyes.

The man ignored Sunggyu and leaned down beside Woohyun's ear.  "The one that killed your parents..." he whispered to Woohyun.  "...is the man standing before you."  He directed Woohyun's attention to Sunggyu.

Woohyun's eyes widened in shocked disbelief as he stared at Sunggyu, who made no attempt to defend himself.  Sunggyu closed his eyes when he saw the shocked expression on Woohyun's face.

Woohyun shook his head, refusing to believe the man's words.  "You're lying."

"He never told you, did he?" asked the man.  "Of course, no murderer would confess to their crimes."

"Sunggyu," Woohyun cried out.

Hearing Woohyun's voice, Sunggyu opened his eyes which burned with raging flames.  He could not control himself anymore.  He charged at the group of men with sword in hand.  Striking them all down before they had a chance to fire at him.
 
Woohyun watched in horror as Sunggyu went on a killing rampage.  It frightened the man to see his group being slaughtered.  Panicking, the man untied Woohyun from the chair.  When the last man fell, Sunggyu turned back and glared at the man beside Woohyun.  The man could see the hatred in Sunggyu's eyes.

Sunggyu pulled out a gun with his other hand and fired a shot straight at the man.  Unexpectedly, the man pulled Woohyun up from the chair and used him as a shield.  The bullet entered Woohyun's chest, much to Sunggyu's horror.  Woohyun collapsed to the ground as he gasped for breath.  Blood gushed out from his wound.

"No!" cried Sunggyu in disbelief.  "Woohyun!"

Taking his chance, the man tried to run past Sunggyu, but Sunggyu struck him down with his sword before he could reach the door.  Sunggyu pulled the man's masked off.  He frowned in anger when he did not recognise the face.

Dropping his sword and gun, Sunggyu ran over to Woohyun and pulled him into his arms.  "Woohyun," he called but Woohyun did not respond.


He waited at the appointed meeting place.  When the hour passed and none of his men returned, he knew that they had failed.