The Wall Between Us - Final

The Wall Between Us

The sounds of police sirens echoed the night sky.  Sungyeol turned around to find Howon dressed in black standing with the phone in his hand.  Sungyeol glared at Howon.  Since the phone which belonged to his subordinate was now in Howon's possession, Sungyeol knew that his men had failed.

"Surrender yourself," Howon shouted, casting the phone aside.  "The ones you sent have all been caught."

Sungyeol found himself surrounded by heavily armed police.  The few remaining men tried to escape but were rounded up before they could get anywhere.  Sungyeol, refusing to surrender, jumped into the freezing water before anyone could stop him.

Sunggyu smiled weakly when he heard the sirens.  He didn't know how much longer he could hold on as he lay in a pool of his own blood.  He struggled to remain conscious.

"Sunggyu!" shouted a voice beside him.  "Don't you dare die on me!"

Sunggyu slowly opened his eyes and smiled when he saw Howon's face.  "Woohyun, is he safe?" asked Sunggyu.

Howon grimaced at the sight of Sunggyu covered in blood.  "He's fine.  Lucky I got to him before those men showed up, but the kid kept trying to run away from me," said Howon.  "I had to show him my badge and also that meddlesome doctor."

Sunggyu smiled knowing that Woohyun was safe.  "Please tell him that I'm sorry about his parents."

"Tell him yourself," said Howon.  "He's waiting for you back at the station."

Sunggyu shook his head.  "I'm afraid I'm done for," he replied as he felt himself losing consciousness.

"Kim Sunggyu, you listen to me," shouted Howon.  "Dying is not allowed, you understand.  Not after you daring to point your gun at your superior.  That's three demerit points already."

Sunggyu smiled at his superior's words.  "I need another favour," said Sunggyu.

"The last time I did you a favour, I had to-" Howon started to express his complaints but was cut off by Sunggyu.

"Please tell him, that I.." Sunggyu tried to hold back the darkness that was approaching.

"Kim Sunggyu, I'm warning you!" shouted Howon.

"...love him," he said with his last breath before closing his eyes.

"Sunggyu!" Howon shouted as the paramedics arrived at the scene.


It was raining hard but a lone figure stood uncaring in front of a grave as tears strolled down his cheeks.

"Why?" Woohyun cried, standing drenched from head to toe.  "You said you loved me, but why did you leave me?  You're such a cruel man."

Howon walked up and stood beside Woohyun, shielding Woohyun from the rain with the umbrella in his hand.  He sighed when he saw the boy in so much pain and suffering.  Woohyun glanced at the man beside him.  The man he thought to be a cafe owner turned out to be a police detective.

"Why did it have to be him?" Woohyun asked.  "Why did you make him do something so dangerous?"

"He volunteered," replied Howon.  "No friends or family, he thought it wouldn't matter if he died since no one would miss him, but I guess he was wrong."  Howon paused and cast his eyes on the grave in front of him.  "He wanted to apologise to you about the death of your parents.  When he realised that he had killed two innocent people, he wanted to turn himself in but I stopped him.  At that time he had managed to get into the Hyo clan and we needed him to remain there as our inside man.  He's not a cold blooded killer like they say, you know that right?"

Woohyun remained quiet as his tears continued to flow.

Howon let out a deep sigh.  "He wanted you to know that he loved you."

Woohyun broke down in uncontrollable tears upon hearing those words.


Refusing Howon's company, Woohyun wandered off by himself in the night.  He entered a bar with a fake ID that he had used to apply for jobs.  Two men approached him at the counter and offered to buy him drinks.  Woohyun couldn't care less who they were.  All he wanted was to forget everything.

By the end of the night, he could barely walk and was escorted out of the place by the two men.  He didn't wonder why they were being so helpful, until they dragged him into a back alley.  He started to panic and began to struggle, but he was in no condition to fight them off.  They pushed him to the ground, where he he hit his head against the concrete.  The impact blurred his vision as he felt his consciousness slipping away.  He couldn't move.  He could hear the men laughing.  There was nothing he could do so he closed his eyes and waited for the ordeal to end.

The laughter was suddenly replaced by bloodcurdling screams along with the sounds of bones breaking.

In his half conscious state, he felt himself being lifted up off the ground, carried by a pair of strong arms.  He leaned against the person's chest and heard the familiar rhythm of a beating heart.

"Nothing is for free in this world," he heard the person whisper.

 

 

 

THE END.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Hope we all managed to work out who's who.

Thanks for reading.