02.

We Belong Together

 

One ordinary morning, Hyemin was eating lunch alone in the kitchen. Time seemed to pass fast these few months. In a blink of an eye, it was already spring. She noticed a family coming in after she finished her lunch, but she didn’t pay much attention to them. After all, they won’t choose her anyway. As she walked out of the kitchen, she bumped into a tall lanky guy, and she was immediately pissed off. She dusted herself and glared at the guy as he bowed and apologized. When he got up, Hyemin was taken aback by his angelic features. The way his eyes formed a crescent shape when he smiled made her stare at him for a little too long. “Are you hurt anywhere?” He asked in concern and lowered his height to match hers, trying to figure out whether did he really hit her that hard that she was in a daze. “Miss?” He asked again and Hyemin snapped out of her trance.

“I’m fine.” She waved him off and walked pass him, heading towards her place of comfort. He raised his hand, wanting to call out for her but decided against it. He lowered his hand after she walked off and went towards the office to find his parents. Does she live here? She looks so… sad. He thought to himself as he knocked on the door and opened it. “Oh Jinyoung ah, where were you?” His mother asked.

“I got lost.” He fibbed and smiled, hoping they would buy his little lie.

“Oh, okay then. Come here and see which one do you like.” His father motioned him to go over and held out a thick file filled with particulars of all the orphans living there. His mind drifted back to the girl he bumped into earlier and began flipping through the file, hoping to find her information in there. He let out a breath as he saw her face on the top right hand corner of a paper.

“I want her.” He pointed and the ahjumma intercepted.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” She persuaded. “You see… she could be quite a problem. She tried running away once. And she isn’t very sociable either. So I’m afraid she won’t be able to fit in well with a new family.” She explained and the couple nodded.

“How about you choose another one?” They asked but he was determined to bring her home. He could see the b sadness in her eyes. He knew she wasn’t very happy there and he wanted to help her. To give her the complete family she once had. To give her happiness. He shook his head and pointed to her profile again.

“I just want her.”

 

What’s wrong with me? Hyemin questioned herself once she sat down. She glanced over to the place where he last stood and realized he was gone. Was he a new kid? Does he belong to the family that arrived earlier on? Questions filled her mind and tried to clear them after realizing all of them were related to the guy earlier on. As she stared at the garden, the ahjumma approached her. “Hyemin ah,” she began and the latter looked up. “You’re getting adopted.” Her eyes widened. She’s gonna get adopted? But why? Nobody ever wants someone who was as old as her. When families adopt children they would specifically choose all the young ones. So it came as a shock to her that she was getting adopted. She wanted to reject, but she knew that the ahjumma had already signed the adoption papers with the family, so it was no use refusing. She didn’t want to be adopted. She was used to being alone and she had already planned out how she was gonna stick here until she’s fully 18 and then find a job to support herself. A family suddenly coming into the picture was wrecking her plans. She never planned to be part of a family before. The ahjumma saw that she wasn’t responding and dragged her to her office, where Jinyoung and his parents were waiting. As soon as Hyemin stepped in, she saw Jinyoung and she stared at him. Was he the one that wanted to adopt me? Her question was answered by the ahjumma. “Mr and Mrs Jung, this is Yoo Hyemin, the one that Jinyoung chose.” Hyemin bowed a little and shifted uncomfortably, playing with her fingers behind her back.

“Hello Hyemin. We’re your new parents now, so you have to call us mom and dad, alright? And this is Jinyoung, your new brother.” Mrs Jung smiled and Hyemin avoided eye contact with anyone.

“Hello! We met earlier, remember?” Jinyoung came over to her side and she glared at him, but he didn’t seem to be affected. “I’m your new brother, so don’t worry, I’ll protect you from anything and everything!” He pounded his chest twice with his fist and Hyemin rolled her eyes.

“I’m perfectly capable of protecting myself.” She shot back and his smiled faded. He might have a nice face, but his enthusiasm was starting to get on her nerves already. The ahjumma sensed the weird atmosphere and sent Hyemin to her room to pack as she settled the rest of the adoption procedures with the family.