Chapter 24

Wishing You Were Here

“Ya, Yuri ah. I didn’t know you had that in you.” Taeyeon commented when Yuri arrives in their room.

“I just felt annoyed.” Yuri responded then sat on her bed.

“It seems like that wasn’t the case. You were mad because they made fun of Jessica, right?” Taeyeon asked though she knew that she was right.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“It’s so obvious. You like Jessica. I can see it.”

Again, so clear about other people’s business when you’re so blind to your own. Yuri thought as she remembers her conversation with Tiffany last night. “You’re wrong.” She denied.

“Whatever, you know it’s true.” Taeyeon asserted. “Speaking of Jessica, what’s with her today? She never seemed to care about anything but did you see her getting all emotional? And what she said before she left?” Taeyeon exclaimed.

“Well, you should consider the fact that those guys were making fun of Tiffany, her best friend.” Yuri reasoned though she knows that Jessica sees Tiffany as more than just a best friend.

“But what does that have to do with me? I’m not her best friend.” Taeyeon raised her voice.

Yuri just shook her head at Taeyeon. “I still don’t get why you’re so heartless to Tiffany. She’s such a sweet girl.”

“Sweet? 52 missed calls, 18 voicemails, and 22 text messages? You call that, sweet?” Taeyeon questioned.

“Well, she’s a bit impatient and impulsive, that’s all.” Yuri rebutted still trying to defend Tiffany.

“You will never know how I feel, Yuri.” Taeyeon said as she lies down her bed, feeling defeated by Yuri’s stubbornness.

“And you will never know how she feels.” Yuri mumbled then she lies down and took out her phone. “How are feeling?” Yuri typed then sent the message. After a while of lying on her bed waiting, her phone vibrated signaling that she has received a new text message. She read it to herself, “Fine.” Yuri rolled her eyes at the response.

“Can’t you give me a better response than that?”

“Ok, how about, I am fine?”

“Ya, Ice Princess. Can’t you_” Yuri was typing the message when she received another one that says. “Actually, I am not fine. I was scared by your action early.” Reading the message in her mind, she chuckled a bit and wrote back another message. “If I hadn’t done anything, I’m sure you would have done something worse. Am I right?”

“Maybe.”

“Did you tell Tiffany what happened?”

“No. She didn’t ask. She’s just lying on her bed playing with her laptop. I would have been sleeping if someone hadn’t text me.”

“Hehe, sorry. Hey, Jessica. I’m bored, what do you recommend that I do?”

“I don’t know, sleep? And dream of me? That should be fun.”

“No wonder you sleep all the time. It’s so you can dream of me, right?”

“In your dreams. So yeah, you should go dream of me dreaming of you, so I can sleep too.”

***

“Ya, Jessica. Why are giggling over there?” Tiffany asked staring at Jessica from her bed.

“I wasn’t giggling. You must be schizophrenic.” Jessica responded denying the fact that she has been giggling while texting with Yuri.

“Whatever. Aren’t you usually asleep, at this time?” Tiffany asked again. This time she was smarter and slowly walks over to Jessica’s bed. She noticed that Jessica’s phone was vibrating next to her pillow, and before Jessica could grab it, Tiffany quickly snatched it away from her. “Ah…you and Yuri are texting each other. No wonder.” Tiffany asserted and looks through the texts that were exchanged between Yuri and Jessica.

“Ya! Give me my phone back!” Jessica shouted and got up from her bed trying to snatch the phone back from Tiffany.

“Oh, you guys are planning on dreaming of each other? How sweet.” Tiffany teased as she continues to read the texts. “Ya, Jessica. You never talk to me like that, and I’m your best friend. I’m jealous.” She stated still trying to keep Jessica away from her phone. “When did you guys start? How come I didn’t know about this?”

“None of your business. Ya! Give me back my phone!” Jessica shouted and chased Tiffany around the room trying to get her phone back. She heard the phone vibrated again.

“Jessica ah, do you want to go to the movies tonight? Just me and you?” Tiffany read the text messages out loud. “Yes, I would love you.” Tiffany wrote back in Jessica’s name.

“YA! I didn’t agree!”

“It’s great Jessica. You’re going to have a new friend, a girlfriend.” Tiffany teased Jessica again “You know you’d agree anyways if it wasn’t because of me.”

“That’s it. I’m getting my phone back.” Jessica stated then pretty much jumped Tiffany. Once Tiffany was down on the floor, Jessica grabbed her phone out of Tiffany’s hand. By that time, Yuri had already responded. “Great, I’ll see you tonight then.” Jessica let out a sigh and stared at Tiffany. “It’s all your fault.”

“You’ll thank me later.” Tiffany smiled. “And that hurt, Jessica. I didn’t know you can get so violent.” She stated and wipes her from the fall. Hmm, Jessica has changed now. She actually cares about someone’s text. She usually ignores them unless if they were from me. But even if they were from me, she’ll only respond with short and specific message. Whatever, I’m glad she’s changing for the good. Tiffany thought as she looks over to her best friend looking troubled about the date later tonight.

***

So again, the four of them including Sunny and Sooyoung joined in for dinner in the cafeteria. Jessica completely ignored Taeyeon as she still holds grudge against her. But it’s not like Taeyeon cared about Jessica anyways. She was caught up between talking to Sunny and being bothered by Tiffany.

“Jessica, we’ll go after we finish dinner, ok?” Yuri said while sitting across from Jessica.

“Where are you guys going?” Sooyoung asked. “Will there be food involved?” She added while stuffing herself with food.

“We’re just going to the movies.” Yuri replied with a forced smile. Obviously she did not want to be interrupted by Sooyoung.

“I like going to the movies. There’s going to be popcorn. Can I join you guys?” Sooyoung excitedly asked.

“Uh…”Yuri hesitated looking back to Jessica with a puzzled look.

“How about me, you, Taeyeon, and Sunny get some ice cream instead?” Tiffany suggested trying to help Yuri out. “I’m sure you would like ice cream, more right?”

“Yeah! Let’s go get ice cream then.” Sooyoung quickly replied in excitement.

Yuri showed sign of relief causing Jessica to giggle in her mind. After 30 more minutes of eating the groups began to part in front of the cafeteria.

“Yuri and Jessica, you guys have fun.” Tiffany said giving Jessica a wink.

As they were about to part, a voice suddenly shouted “Yuri unnie!” catching Yuri’s attention. When Yuri turned around, she found herself hugged tightly by another girl. “Yuri unnie! I missed you so much!” The girl claimed. All eyes were on them, especially Jessica who was standing next to Yuri. After a while the girl lets go of Yuri and finally Yuri was able to identify who it was. The girl was extremely pretty, even prettier than a flower.

“Yoona?” Yuri asked in surprised to who is in front of her. “What are you doing here?”

“Aren’t you happy to see me?” Yoona questioned.

“Of course, I am.” Yuri responded. “But answer me, what are you doing here?”

“I got transfer here! I missed unnie so much that I had to transfer here to be able to go to the same school as unnie.” She replied with a smile on her face. “Aren’t you happy?”

“Of course, I am!” Yuri excitedly responded to the news that just came to her.

“Oh, hey Taeyeon unnie!” Yoona turned around and greeted Taeyeon with a smile.

“Oh hey, Yoona. How have you been? I haven’t seen you in a while.” Taeyeon replied.

“I have been good, unnie.” Yoona answered. “Yuri unnie, you have to show me around! Let’s go!” she demanded and swings Yuri’s arm back and forth.

“Uh…I_” Yuri hesitated again looking at Jessica.

“Come on let’s go.” Yoona said and dragged Yuri unwillingly along. “Bye all the unnies!”

“Ya, Yoona. Calm down.” Yuri asserted then turns her head back to Jessica. “Jessica, I’m sorry. We’ll go to the movies another time, okay?” She was only able to say that before Yoona dragged her off. “And sorry you guys, I’ll introduce her to you all later.” She apologized for Yoona’s rudeness.

“Then you should come with us, Jessica.” Sooyoung invited.

“No, I think I’ll head back to the dorm.” Jessica replied feeling a bit of disappointment as she looks towards Yuri and a girl that’s supposedly “Yoona”. “Tiffany, don’t forget to get me a cone when you head back.” She added, not wanting to miss out on the food, even though she doesn’t feel very happy.

“Um, ok.” Tiffany replied.

I wonder who that is to Yuri. Jessica thought as she heads back towards her room.