8

Fool

“You sure look dirty with that on,” Jiro commented then gently pushed Selina off. “You can wash and go home after you get a piece of the cake.”

Selina felt herself breath rapidly as she tried to calm down.

“What is wrong with me?” Selina questioned herself as she entered the Tang home.

Danson was reading a book by the couch waiting for her to return. He checked his watch and got up.

“You’re unusually late,” Danson stated. “What did you guys do? Did you study the whole time?”

Selina looked at him and went to sit next to him.

“You sure do worry a lot,” Selina smiled.

Danson couldn’t help, but felt himself soften up.

“Who else is supposed to worry about you in my place? Fei?” Danson teased.

Selina looked at his book and grabbed it.

“Study time is already over,” Selina said and got up, “good night.”

As she lay awake that night Selina could only bring herself to think of Jiro. The only thing that cheered her up were the times she spent with him. Then Selina thought back to when Jiro had pulled her back and wiped the cream off her cheek.

“What did I think he was going to do?” Selina questioned herself. A smile crept onto her face then faded. “What is wrong with me? Why do I feel my heart beat so fast whenever I think of him now?” Selina went over every explanation she could think of and found that she was left with only one answer.

She was beginning to crush out on him.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

The next day at school Danson silently watched as Selina timidly returned Jiro’s wave as he entered the classroom. Throughout the whole day Danson slightly glanced at Selina wondering if she would show any change in her. When they got in their groups Selina had interacted with Jiro more and seemed to be a little shy around him.

Selina had started to put her notes back into her folder after the school day and stopped when she noticed that she had taken the wrong sheet. At the top right corner was Jiro’s name instead of her own. Selina looked around the classroom for him but didn’t find him anywhere.

“Are you going over there again?” Danson questioned.

“I’ll be back soon,” Selina told and began to walk away.

“Where’s your promise of coming back to me?” Danson questioned.

Selina stopped and spun around, “What was that?”

Danson smiled as he grabbed his bag, “Nevermind. I’ll see you later.”

Selina smiled a little and turned around exiting the room. As she went down the hallway she decided she’d find Jiro before going to the car. Just as she turned the corner she heard voices speaking and hearing her name, she stopped.

“Then why are you always with Selina when you’re telling me this?” questioned a voice Selina took as Fei’s.

“Can’t I play around a little bit?” questioned Jiro.

Fei frowned at him, “Didn’t you think I was annoying?”

Jiro smiled and moved toward her a little, “I did, but you seem kind of cute. How’d you like to go on a date?”

Fei’s eyes brightened, “Then you were using Selina to get close to me?!”

Jiro laughed, “You never noticed my plan.”

“Oh that’s great! When, when, when?!” questioned Fei as she grabbed Jiro’s arm and clutched it.

Selina didn’t understand, but her sudden happiness had seemed to fly away. She was feeling disappointment, was it?

“It’s ok, Selina. It was nothing in the first place, besides you knew he was like this,” Selina told herself silently. “He was using you to get rid of his anger. He said that before, didn’t he?”

Selina slowly went down the stairway and entered the car. As she sat down the chauffeur started the engine and drove off.

“Aren’t we going to wait for Jiro?” questioned Selina leaning forward a little.

“He said he would be back in an hour or so and instructed me to bring you to his house first,” the chauffeur answered.

“Oh,” Selina managed to mumble.

She climbed up the steps to the study room and set her things down. That was the first time she didn’t start on her homework right away. Instead she glanced around the silent room wondering how Jiro had managed to grow up alone in this kind of environment. Selina could feel that part of her wanted to be angry at him, but she also understood that in the first place she was not of any importance in his life. It was just coincident that she’d found him. She understood how he felt towards everything. He was a lonely guy who wanted to feel that he was a part of everything. He liked to get rid of his anger by making others feel that emotion. He was also jealous because everyone else had what he didn’t have.

Selina understood everything.

“Did you finish the homework?” asked Jiro when the door opened.

Selina didn’t turn around, but was surprised that he’d already come back. She checked her watch and found that she had been sitting there lost in her thoughts for an hour.

“I didn’t do anything yet,” Selina answered without looking at him as he sat down.

“Why not? If you were hungry you could have told Joanne to make something for you. You can treat her as your maid too I don’t mind,” Jiro prodded on.

Selina’s heart started to beat a little faster than usual while wondering if he cared at all.

“No I wasn’t hungry,” Selina found herself turning to look at him.

“Why does he seem so charming?” Selina asked herself.

“Are we going to do this or not?” Jiro broke into her thoughts.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized and turned around to take her homework out.

As she began to scribble on her homework Jiro leaned over to see what she was writing and copied everything on her sheet onto his.

“Hey, are you sure that’s the right answer?” asked Jiro pointing to her sheet.

“Aren’t you just supposed to be copying?” Selina replied.

Jiro frowned, “Ok. Whatever.”

Selina looked at him a little and smiled a small smile. After refusing dinner Selina returned back to the Tang household to find Danson waiting for her as usual.

“I’m hungry,” Selina said, “are you going to find something for me to eat?”

Danson looked at her quickly getting up from the couch.

“You’re just in time,” Danson told.

As he walked passed her he grabbed her hand and led her into the kitchen. Selina glanced down at his hand finding it strange that he acted as if it were no big deal. Selina took a seat and watched Danson walk toward the counter. He came back with a plate full of food and set it in front of Selina.

“Does it look delicious?” questioned Danson.

“You made it?” Selina said looking at him.

“How’d you know?” Danson asked as he sat down.

“You’re the only one home, aren’t you?” Selina asked. “That’s what one of the maids told me.”

“Oh yea, that’s right,” Danson laughed a little.

Danson became silent for a moment which left Selina feeling awkward.

“Hey, Selina,” Danson began breaking the silence.

“Yes? What is it?” Selina asked finding herself staring at him while leaning back in her seat.

“You’ve made a promise of love before haven’t you?” Danson asked.

Selina remained silent her face expression not changing. She dug back into her memories going back as far as she could, but couldn’t remember anything about a promise.

“I don’t get it,” Selina replied.

Danson looked up from the table and straight into Selina’s eyes. Selina found herself unable to look away.

Danson smiled and gave a wholehearted laugh, “Never mind, I know you won’t be able to remember.”

Selina still looked at him through blank eyes.

“I’m going to sleep. Good night,” Danson said and walked off.

That night, Selina went to sleep without giving a thought about Danson’s question.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

When the car stopped, Fei raced out and headed toward the school yard. Selina followed Danson silently and while they passed Fei Selina couldn’t help but look over to see Jiro heading down the stairs toward her. Selina quickly looked away when Fei glanced over at her. Throughout the school day Selina made sure to remain the same. She didn’t talk to Jiro much and even this small thing Danson noticed.

Selina turned around to watch Danson wave goodbye to her. Selina waved back and entered the car headed to Jiro’s house. When the car came to a stop Selina got out and stopped when she noticed a woman wearing shades standing in the doorway. Selina grabbed her books and started up the steps. Predictably the woman took notice of Selina and turned toward her.

“Excuse me do you know if Jiro is home?” she questioned.

Selina turned to look at her expressionlessly.

The woman smiled and took off her shades, “I’m Hebe, and you are?”

“I’m Selina,” Selina quickly introduced herself.

Hebe smiled, “Are you his classmate or something?”

“Uh…yes.” Selina replied.

Hebe smiled and grabbed a large bag which seemed to be packed with clothes.

“So when do you think he’ll come back?” Hebe questioned.

Selina found herself sitting silently in the study room with Hebe across the table from her. Hebe seemed to be flipping through a magazine Selina didn’t recognize from any stores nearby. Selina returned to concentrating on her worksheet and about thirty minutes later the door opened.

“Selina!” Jiro shouted loudly.

Selina’s head quickly shot up. She followed Jiro’s gaze when he paused. He was looking at Hebe.

“It’s been a long time,” Hebe greeted.

Jiro’s sudden cheery face changed. He looked more like he didn’t know how to react and wasn’t sure of what to do. Jiro ruffled his hair and walked toward Selina quickly grabbing her hand leading her down the stairs.

“Go back,” Jiro said coldly.

Selina didn’t respond and grabbed her bag from him. As she zipped up her bag and started down the stairs Jiro stopped her.

“Don’t come back,” Jiro asserted. “I don’t want to see you here tomorrow.”

Selina suppressed the anger she felt forming within her. Why would Jiro treat her like that all of a sudden? Why did he make her waste her time coming here in the first place? Selina threw all her thoughts aside and just headed back toward the Tang household.

“Who is she?” Hebe questioned as Jiro re-entered the study room.

“Just a tutor,” Jiro replied as he sat down.

“She seems like a really smart person,” Hebe commented.

“You don’t even need to say that about her. She’s like a statue, she’s just stupid,” Jiro told. “Why are you here? Where’s Aaron?”

Hebe was silent for a while, “We had an argument, so I came back.”

Jiro laughed and slightly slammed his hand on the table, “Why did you come here? I thought I’d told you I don’t want to see you again.”

Hebe seemed pretty calm, “I’m not stupid, Jiro. I’m here because the argument was because of you.”

“Me?” Jiro asked raising an eyebrow.

“I wanted you to come to our wedding, but Aaron doesn’t,” Hebe clarified. “That’s all.”

“How does that involve me? I didn’t start the argument,” Jiro shook his head still recalling his soft feelings for her.

“Become friends with him. I want you at our wedding,” Hebe determined. “I’ll see you again tomorrow.”

Jiro watched as the door closed. However much he wanted to be or stay angry with Hebe he could just never do it. Even though he had been a total jerk towards the end of their relationship Hebe had wanted to stay in contact and be good friends. Obviously Jiro had declined all those offers, but Hebe still treated him as a friend even when Jiro had made her late for her engagement party. Always kind and mature. The perfect girl he’d lost to someone else.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina opened the door and entered the house quietly.

“Hey, Selina,” it was Fei who was coming down the stairs. “you aren’t going to cry if I tell you something, are you?”

Selina looked at her cousin wondering what was going to happen next, “What?”

Fei smiled as she came closer and paused in front of Selina, “Jiro’s mine. You better know that from now on. You’re just a toy I’m letting him use.”

Selina remained quiet.

“Don’t tell me you thought he was getting serious with you,” Fei mocked. “If you were to get with Jiro it’d be a really bad nightmare for everybody.”

Selina nodded her head, “Yes, yes I guess you’re right. I understand.”

Fei snorted, “Yes, get that ? Don’t you dare go near my brother.”

Selina remained standing still in her spot feeling a little disappointed, but it was nothing new to her. It didn’t matter to her how Fei thought of her. Selina knew it was just easier to forget everything and push it off her shoulders.

“What’s going on?” Danson asked coming inside from the backyard.

He watched as Fei walked pass him.

“Nothing,” Selina replied setting her bag down.

“You’re back early. Did something happen?” asked Danson.

Selina shook her head and sat down. Danson walked over and leaned over her.

“Hey, you want to go somewhere?” asked Danson.

A bunch of different brands of hand phones surround Selina when she entered the store.

“Which one do you like?” Danson questioned.

“Is it alright?” Selina asked turning to look at him.

“Don’t worry, my parents talked to me about it,” Danson responded. “I need to get myself one too.”

Selina walked toward the counter and glanced at the cell phones there.

“If you’re looking for cell phones then the cheapest ones are the couple phones right now,” the sales clerk sheepishly smiled.

Danson and Selina looked at each other.

Selina laughed, “We’re not a couple.”

“Lets take a look,” Danson excitedly said.

The sales clerk handed them a few designs.

“Which one is better?” Danson questioned.

“I like the blue one,” Selina pointed toward it.

“We’ll take these,” Danson smiled.

The sales clerk nodded.

A while later, Danson and Selina sat down to get some ice cream to eat after playing around with their cell phones and learning how to program them. When Selina returned back with Danson she found herself thinking more and more about the woman that had come to Jiro’s house. Who was she? And who was she to him? Why did Jiro all of a sudden kick her out? Selina quickly pushed the thoughts away remembering that she had not wanted to wonder about it, but somehow her mind kept tripping over it. That woman…she seemed familiar somehow.

The next day at school Selina noticed Jiro seemed a little irritated and angered. Throughout lessons he scribbled on blank sheets of papers and doodled. By the end of the school day she wondered if she should go back to Jiro’s. When the bell rang Jiro quickly left the room. Selina got up from her chair feeling unsure and turned around to wait for Danson.

“Do you want to walk back?” Selina questioned clutching onto her textbook.

“You’re finally not going to Jiro’s?” Danson asked surprised.

“Um…well he told me I can take off today,” Selina lied.

“Lets go to the basketball court,” Danson suggested. “I’m meeting some of my friends there.”

“Ok,” Selina agreed.

Selina found herself sitting by the fence as she watched Danson play a few rounds with his friends from school. She hadn’t wanted to admit it but she was bored. In a few minutes Danson came running over with a water bottle in his hand.

“Are you sure you don’t want to join us?” Danson asked. “We’ll go easy on you.”

Selina laughed, “I’m ok. I think I’ll go take a walk, just call me when you leave.”

“Alright,” Danson answered and ran back to the basketball court.

Selina watched as Danson’s friend gave him a pat on the back and turned around. She headed down a sidewalk and half wondered where she was. Selina gave out a sigh as she found a bench and sat down. She watched as others passed by and found herself realizing how different this environment was from hers back home. It was always calm, quiet, and peaceful, but here it was loud. Selina took out her cell phone and looked at it.

“They look like a couple, don’t you think?” asked a stranger Selina found sitting next to her.

Selina stared at him blankly.

“Oh, I mean them,” the stranger said holding up his cell phone for Selina to see.

Coincidentally they were the same.

The man laughed freely and extended out his hand, “I’m Aaron Yan, nice to meet you.”

“Selina Ren,” Selina replied and shook his hand without hestitating.

“You look like you were lost in thought,” he told.

“Huh?” was all Selina managed.

Aaron laughed a little and glanced around, “I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for my wife.”

Selina nodded her head feeling unsure of what he was talking about. Aaron turned back to look at her and laughed.

“Is it ok if I just blabber on?” he questioned.

Selina stared at him blankly, “I guess so.”

Aaron eyed her and blew up his cheeks, “Wouldn’t you be angry if the person you love wanted to bring her ex back into her life? Gosh! Whenever I think of it I feel so angry! He’s such a jerk!”

Selina averted her eyes calmly elsewhere letting his words go in and out of her ears. Hebe, who was she?

“Hasn’t she thought about how I would feel if she invited him to our wedding? It’s not like I don’t know that he still likes her. It’s like even if I love her and I’m here she doesn’t notice me at all,” Aaron continued on.

Selina rose her head. If a person she admired never paid attention to her, how would she feel?

“Can’t you just be disappointed and move on? Wouldn’t that be ok?” Selina asked out loud.

Aaron turned to look at her becoming silent then shook his hands as he went on, “Well, for one thing I would end up angry with myself for not even trying. There’s still a possibility things might work out!”

“Why think that far?” Selina wondered.

Aaron became silent again and glanced at Selina, “Do you like someone?”

Selina became silent.