5

Fool

A moment later Jiro slammed his pencil onto the table and looked at Selina with a desperate face.

“How am I supposed to do this? I don’t even know what this…x stands for! Just help me complete this one more problem!” Jiro pleaded.

Without moving her eyes away from the book she was reading she grabbed his pencil and rolled it back to him.

“I showed you 5 problems already,” Selina pointed out.

“But…but your voice is so monotonous…” Jiro moaned.

Selina made no remark except flipped the page of the book.

“Hey! I’m talking to you!” Jiro shouted.

Selina rubbed her ear, “You don’t need to shout. Just let me finish two more paragraphs.”

Jiro gaped at her then reached forward and snatched the book away from her making her look at him at last.

“What? You want to play tag?” asked Selina with no tone in her voice as usual.

Jiro stared back at her and stuck out his tongue then jumped out of his chair darting toward the door. Selina watched him run pass her and slightly rolled her eyes. She got up from her chair and walked toward the open door. Looking through the hallway she saw no sign of Jiro. Taking a deep breath she headed down the hallway to her left and noticing a large window, walked toward it. It was still sunny out and the street outside was empty. Selina looked down into the large front lawn and thought of her favorite view at her old school.

“Wah!” Jiro shouted as he pushed her forward.

Selina found her hands slamming against the window and she quickly turned back to see Jiro laughing at her. She snatched her book away from his hands and headed back to the study room.

“Well at least say something!” Jiro shouted after her.

Selina set her book on the table and sat in her chair then glanced at her watch. It was almost 6.

“Forget it. I’m going back,” she thought to herself as she packed up her belongings.

As she turned around the door opened and Joanne appeared.

“Dinner’s ready,” she said smiling then her eyes moved over to the school bag Selina held. “You’re going? Already?”

“Uh…well…you see…” Selina started.

“She’s just playing around, aren’t you Sel?” interrupted Jiro from behind Joanne.

“Sel?” Selina repeated.

“That’s a cute way of saying your name,” Joanne complimented.

“Please…” Selina thought to herself silently.

“Wouldn’t you stay? Just for a little bit,” Joanne tried again.

Selina stared at the woman recalling her earlier thoughts about her. Finally Selina ended up nodding.

The kitchen was large with shiny tiles filling up the floor. Countertops lined the walls and an expensive looking stove sat across from the sink. There was also a built in stove in the wall. A round table was placed by the wall farthest away from everything else in the kitchen. A large refrigerator stood not too far away from the stove.

Jiro took a seat first leaving Selina to stand alone feeling awkward.

“Take a seat I’ll bring the plates over,” Joanne told.

Selina looked at the oak chairs and began to pull one chair away from Jiro out to sit.

“You’re not allowed to sit there,” Jiro told and grabbed the chair next to him, “here.”

Selina moved over and took a seat. After Joanne served them she excused herself and only Jiro and Selina were left with silence.

“Are you thinking of pity for me? You must want to laugh at how a person like me can have such a life right?” Jiro questioned as he poked his fork around in the dishes.

Selina watched him silently.

“If you want to make yourself feel better by being that way, then so be it,” Selina replied then took a bite out of her rice.

“I’m not making myself feel better. You better not speak about this to anyone at school,” Jiro warned.

“That the almighty Jiro is weak?” Selina questioned still expressionlessly, she meant to mock him but it didn’t come out that way.

“This is still my house, if I want to do anything to you, I can,” Jiro threatened.

Selina put her fork down, “I dare you.”

Jiro stared back at her blank eyes and noticed that she looked exactly like a lifeless doll. He turned away and chuckled.

“Wow, are you serious,” Jiro commented, “I was just joking. Besides it wouldn’t be fun with a lifeless soul.” Selina turned away from his gaze. “I’d like to know, why is it so hard for you to express yourself?”

Selina pressed her lips together, “Are you done playing? I’d like to leave.”

“Go right ahead. The chauffeur’s outside waiting for you,” Jiro said.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina stared at the houses passing by until the car stopped in front of the Tang household. However long she would have to live there Selina didn’t feel right to call it home yet. She thanked the chauffeur and got out of the car.

Inside by the kitchen Danson was pacing back and forth uncomfortably. Once he heard the door close he quickly rushed to find Selina.

“You’re back finally!” Danson shouted relieved. “I told the maid to leave some extras for you. Are you hungry?”

“I actually ate at Jiro’s,” Selina replied.

Danson looked at her as if it had shocked him to the core.

“Oh...really,” he sounded disappointed. “Then, is there anything else you need?”

Selina glanced around the room and shook her head.

“I’ll be in my room."

Before she headed up the stairs Danson called her.

“You might not be used to us, but we’d like to hear you talk too,” Danson tried, “if you’re feeling troubled, you can talk to me.”

“Yea, thanks,” Selina said and disappeared into her room.

“As usual, you’re lonely one way or another,” Danson thought to himself.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Everything was its usual the next morning. When the classroom started to fill up Jiro walked in to find Danson and Selina locked in a conversation. Jiro smirked and slammed his books onto his desk. Everyone turned to stare at him.

“Oh…sorry,” Jiro said half laughing as if he were nervous while rubbing the back of his head.

He looked over at Danson who turned away to continue speaking with Selina. Jiro made a face and slid down into his desk.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After being excused from class for lunch the classroom had quickly emptied, even Jiro had left to get something to eat.

Selina started walking down the hallway after Danson had gone off with some of his friends. Selina had just begun clearing her mind to relax until she turned the hallway to meet Fei, Xiao Mei, and another friend of hers. She glanced at Fei’s mocking smile and started to walk pass them calmly.

“Is she new?” Lin, Fei’s friend, questioned.

“You could say that,” Fei answered. “Hey, Selina this is my friend Lin.”

Selina turned around to look at Lin and smiled, “Hi.”

Once again Fei’s mocking smile appeared on her face.

“Lin, this is my cousin who’s renting space in our house,” Fei rudely explained.

“Renting?” Lin repeated confused.

“Yup,” Fei nodded, “she’s obviously an orphan now. Her parents must have died to get rid of her.”

Selina felt herself began to burn up inside and unknowingly her hand clenched into a light fist.

“You can ask Xiao Mei. Selina’s really stuck up and always clinging onto Danson for help,” Fei lied. “Right, Xiao Mei?”

Xiao Mei averted her eyes away from Fei’s.

“Uh…I don’t know,” Xiao Mei hesitantly answered.

“Trying to fit in by using Danson?” Lin asked.

“Hey!” a loud voice screamed. “Shouldn’t you guys be going to class?!”

The four girls turned to see a tall girl with long hair fast walking toward them.

“Xiao Xun!” they shouted in unison.

“If you want to get a man, get studying first! Then use your brain your mothers and fathers gave you!” Xiao Xun shouted loudly. “Go! Hurry!”

Fei and her friends quickly walked off leaving Selina to stand with Xiao Xun. Xiao Xun turned to look at Selina and a smile erupted to her face.

“Hey! Aren’t you the girl who asked for directions to Danson’s house the other day?” Xiao Xun asked pointing at Selina.

Selina slowly turned to look at the girl, “Yea, it was you.”

“I didn’t think you come to this school! Wow!” she exclaimed. “What’s your name? I’m Xiao Xun.”

Selina stared at her extended arm and shook it, “I’m Selina.”

“I think we’re in the same grade,” Xiao Xun broadly smiled, “I heard Danson’s cousin just started coming to this school. You must be his cousin, am I right?”

Selina nodded her head.

“Those girls are always so crazy about him and his sister is just mean don’t you think?” Xiao Xun questioned. “If I were Danson I’d kick her out of the house.”

Selina managed to laugh a little.

“I guess my room’s a hallway down from yours then. We better get going back,” Xiao Xun hurried.

When Selina got back to her class almost everyone was in already. Selina quickly made her way to her desk.

“Where were you?” Danson whispered to her as Mr. Zhen began with class.

“You guys are going to need to get into groups of two. You can pair up with the person sitting next to you,” the teacher's voice boomed.

“We can partner up,” Danson proposed.

Selina nodded in reply. Jiro glanced over and grinned at them.

“Mr.!” Jiro shouted. “I don’t want to be partners with Tony, can I join Danson and Selina?”

“Urhmmm…but Jiro,” Mr. Zhen began.

“Thanks a lot!” Jiro interrupted cheerily and quickly moved his chair over by Danson’s desk. “Hi, partner.”

Danson rolled his eyes and turned to Selina who returned the gaze expressionlessly. When they received their group packets Danson and Selina started it without a word.

“Oh hey! I want to do this! Why don’t we do this instead!” Jiro shouted here and then.

Annoyed, Danson, mumbled words no one could understand. Though Selina was also annoyed, she did not show it on her face. Jiro became even more unsatisfied at this.

When they were finally excused from class Selina followed Danson out toward the front doors. As Selina took another step forward she felt something pull her back. When she was jerked backward she let out a small scream.

“What’s wrong?” Danson turned worriedly.

Behind Selina, he noticed Jiro holding onto her backpack.

“Hey, let her go,” Danson demanded walking over and pried Jiro’s grasp off.

Selina turned around and managed not to roll her eyes in front of Jiro.

Jiro smiled foolishly, “Take your time then. The chauffeur will be outside.” Then as he brushed passed Danson he whispered into his ear, “Don’t think you can keep this item with you. She’ll be mine in an hour.”

Danson glared after Jiro’s back and turned to Selina.

“Forget about him and come home,” Danson convinced. “He’s not worth your time. Come on.”

Danson held his hand out to Selina and waited for her to grab it, but she didn’t.

“What’s wrong?” asked Danson now frowning. “You aren’t really going to just go over there, are you?”

Selina stood there silently trying to let her ego come up with a decision. She trusted that Jiro was just playing around. From observing Jiro's actions she came to the conclusion that Jiro liked ticking Danson off. It was probably because Danson never showed his anger. Selina understood the childish phase Jiro was putting himself through.

“I…” Selina began.

“Just go home with me,” he lightly grabbed her hand. “Jiro’s just up to no good.”

Selina put her other hand on the hand he was using to hold hers.

She smiled at him, “I’ll be home by six. I promise you.”

Danson stared at her smile and felt Selina remove her hand from under his. He stood there watching as Selina entered the chauffeur’s car. He took a deep breath and turned to see Fei glaring at him with arms across her chest.

“You really like her that much?” Fei questioned.

Danson turned away from her, “Come on, the car’s here.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina couldn’t almost believe that she was really going to be his tutor and go back to his house. Selina sat in the car for a while even when it had come to a stop. There was a tap on the window breaking her out of her thoughts.

“Would you like to come out now?” the chauffeur questioned.

Selina smiled making her smile look crooked and got out of the car clutching onto her bag. She thanked the chauffeur and headed inside the house. Just as she got through the front doors Joanne bounded toward her excitedly.

“I didn’t think you’d come back at all!” Joanne exclaimed. “Here, I’ll take your bag. Jiro’s in the pool swimming. You can go get him.”

Joanne quickly walked away without waiting for Selina’s answer. Selina took a step but stopped helplessly when she watched Joanne disappear.

“Where’s the pool?” Selina asked flopping her arms down to her side hopelessly.

After roaming around for a bit she found some signs she guessed Jiro must have posted up to show her the way. She stopped in front of the first sign to look at the sloppy handwriting and the drawings he’d made.

“What a fool,” she mumbled and started down the hallway.

She finally reached two huge gym look a like doors and made her way in. Selina stared at the blue water and found Jiro standing there looking at her.

“Took you long enough,” he crossed his arms. “Would you like to come in?”

Selina stared down at him, “This statue can’t swim.”

Jiro laughed loudly, but Selina remained calm.

“It’s nice to get a soak when you’re feeling unwell,” Jiro advised, “hey, help me up.”

Selina made her way over and extended out her arm while doubting that she’d be able to help him up. She felt Jiro’s wet hand slip into hers and before she realized it, he’d already pulled her into the swimming pool. Selina felt her head dive first into the water and she sprung up a few seconds later smoothing her hair bangs back quickly so she could see. She took a few deep breaths, spat out water, and clumsily took a step forward before falling back. Waving her arms around and letting out a small scream, Jiro grabbed her arm to help her back up.

“You’re really bad at trying to swim,” Jiro lauged. “It’s not hard trying to keep your balance is it?”

Selina looked up to find her face not too far away from his. Unable to explain the feeling Selina quickly turned away with her heart beating fast.

“Whatever. Enjoy yourself I’m going to get changed,” Jiro teased and stepped out of the pool.

Selina stood there her chest heaving up and down breathing heavily. She made her way out of the pool and took off her tennis shoes. Selina also took off her socks and wrung up the bottom of her shirt and jeans to let all the water out. After doing so she pushed the doors open and walked toward the stairs.

“Wow! Amazingly you got out,” Jiro clapped as he stopped on the third step.

Selina looked up at him, “I’m going.”

“Selina! What in the world happened?” questioned Joanne appearing out of no where.

Selina stared from Jiro to Joanne and wondered why Joanne always had to choose the worst of all times to show up.

“Go get a towel and some dry clothes,” Jiro ordered.

“Yes, young master,” Joanne shook hear head and quickly headed up the stairs.

Jiro took the last few steps down to stand in front of Selina. He remained silent for a long time.

Finally, Selina tilted her head up to look at him with a small frown formed on her face.

Jiro smiled.