16

Fool

The next day Uncle Tang had called the family together into the living room. Selina knew he had an announcement but she wasn’t sure what he was planning to say.

“The results for our health checkups came in and the doctor made a personal call to talk to me,” Uncle Tang started, “everyone seems to be in a fine condition…but…Fei’s been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. The doctor said that she’s in serious condition but they don’t require her to go to the hospital yet, not until she starts feeling a lot of chest pain and starts to lose breath. I hope everyone can keep an eye out for her.”

“Me?” asked Fei pointing to herself. “But how can I? I’ve been healthy all my life. I can’t just get this heart disease. I don’t want to die!”

“Calm down, Fei,” Aunt Tang said softly putting her arms around her daughter. “It’s ok. Your dad and I are here, it’s going to ok.”

Selina watched as Fei started to sob in her mother’s arms. It made Selina long even more for her mom. Selina was the last one in the room. What was it she was feeling? Devastation? Selina wanted to turn away and leave the whole world behind her. She was supposed to love Jiro but instead she was wavering because of all the situations. Yet, she felt as if she were in debt to the Tang family.

Selina woke early the next morning with Fei had knocking on her door. Selina found herself sitting up in bed, Fei at the foot of her bed. Selina didn’t want to admit it, but it did look as if Fei was really sick.

“Give Jiro to me,” Fei said softly. “Please…I want to be with him before anything happens to me. I won’t hate you anymore. I really miss him…I just want to be with him again. Please Selina.”

Selina could feel her pain swell up within her too, but with this crying girl in front of her what was she supposed to say?

“You can clear it up with him at the graduation party.” Selina said and got out of her bed.

“I was even wondering if you’d come,” Jiro said as he watched Selina walk toward him.

Selina took a seat next to him silently.

“So, am I invited to your graduation party?” asked Jiro.

Selina continued to be silent.

“Am I? Am I? I really want to see you this weekend. Tell me I’m invited,” Jiro pleaded.

“You are,” Selina answered softly.

“How come you don’t seem thrilled about it?” asked Jiro.

Selina stared at the ground as she found she couldn’t look up at Jiro.

“I also hope you won’t be able to come,” Selina told, her voice seemed like a dim light.

“What? Why not?” Jiro asked feeling lost at the sudden change in Selina’s answers.

Selina leaned against him, “I feel so troubled right now, Jiro. I don’t know how to explain them.”

Jiro glanced at Selina and put his arm around her in comfort.

“I’m sorry…this is all I can do,” Jiro apologized. “Don’t worry, I’m right here.”

“That’s the problem…” Selina told herself.

The next couple of days Selina isolated herself in her room. She all the decisions available over and over in her mind. She even ignored the calls Jiro had made. It wasn’t until the day before the party that Selina had finally figured out what she should do. Before heading out Selina had to go look for Danson.

“Hey,” she greeted him.

“Are you going somewhere?” Danson questioned.

Selina smiled, “Actually yea…but I have to ask for a favor.”

“What is it?” Danson asked.

Selina pressed her lips together and calmly said, “If I don’t return before 30 minutes, please come find me.”

Danson frowned, “You made that sound scary.”

“I won’t do anything bad,” Selina reassured, “I’ll be going now.”

Along the way to Jiro’s house, Selina went over and over in her head what she was going to say. She could feel anxiety and her heart racing. Her hands were slightly shaking as well. Selina paused in front of Jiro’s house and slowly went in. As usual Selina ran into Joanne first.

“Hi Selina,” Joanne said happily.

“You’re cherry today,” Selina commented.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Joanne asked.

Selina shook her head, “But would you mind going out for a while? And…when you come back…if…if you find Jiro in a bad mood, please console him for me.”

Joanne’s smile disappeared, “What are you talking about?”

“I’ll see you later,” Selina smiled.

Joanne frowned but did as told. Selina watched as the maid walked out of the mansion then finally turned around.

“I have to do this,” Selina told herself.

Selina found Jiro sitting in the living room watching the TV.

“Selina!” Jiro shouted happily. “Lets watch this together. It’s really funny, I bet it’ll cheer you up!”

Selina stayed glued to the doorway. Jiro turned around again.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you coming?” asked Jiro.

“I have to talk to you about something,” Selina told. “Turn off the TV, please.”

Jiro frowned and did as told then hurried over to Selina worried.

“What is it?” Jiro asked.

Selina stared into Jiro’s face and gulped. How could she leave such a guy? How would she be able to do it? She had so much feelings for him. She had wanted to do so much for him. Selina quickly turned away from his eyes.

“Lets break up,” Selina said trying to sound as cold as she could.

Silence followed.

“What?” asked Jiro. “You don’t mean it, do you?”

“I do,” Selina told. “I wouldn’t joke with this, right?”

Jiro stared at Selina and felt burning tears in his eyes.

“No. I won’t allow it,” Jiro furiously shook his head. “I’m not going to get angry with you right now even if you mean it. You just need some time to readjust to things, right? I’ll give you time. I promise I can do whatever you want.”

Selina bit her tongue to stop herself from crying out. She gripped her hand into a fist to stop herself from throwing her arms out to him.

“Why are you like this? Did someone do something to you?” Jiro asked. “You…wouldn’t just break up, right?”

“However, you’re still invited tomorrow,” Selina told. “Bye.”

Selina quickly turned and started to walk away, but Jiro quickly followed and threw his arms around her.

“Don’t go! Please don’t go, Selina. Who will I have to be with from now on? Who can keep me smiling as much as you do?” Jiro questioned. “Don’t, please. We can hold on for a bit longer. I’ll find out your problem and help you solve it. I promise Sel! Just don’t leave me alone.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Selina said harshly throwing his arms off her and walking out.

When Selina reached the front doors it was already raining out. Selina blinked out a few tears and turned her head to look back. She gritted her teeth and put her hand over so that no one would hear her loud sobs. Selina then jumped into the rain and walked back to the Tang household. Before she got there she noticed a figure running toward her. Selina stopped in her tracks to find that it was just Danson. He stopped in front of her panting. Selina stood in front of him allowing her tears fall along with the rain.

“You’ll catch a cold,” Danson walked toward her, “lets go back.”

When Danson turned around Selina reached out and grabbed his arm.

“I agree,” Selina said when Danson turned around to look at her. “Lets get engaged. I can do it now.”

“What?” Danson asked not believing what his ears were transmitting to his brain.

Selina stepped toward Danson and kissed him.

That weekend the Tang house was already full with relatives and friends swarming around. Chairs and tables were set out in the back yard. The old aunties were bringing the food out to the yard while Selina stood around with Danson to greet their guests. Selina tried to pay attention while Danson was introducing guests to her, but it seemed impossible. She didn’t want to admit it but she felt like a stem of grass which had just been stepped upon. She spent the next hour doing the same thing and finally took a seat just before she was called out to the backyard. Once Selina stepped out, Jiro walked into the house. His heart was beating fast with anxiety and full of questions. The only thing he wanted was to clarify things with Selina. He walked all around the house and came back to his original spot stopping only when he heard voices outside. He walked toward the yard and stepped out.

Selina stood among the crowd of guests since Danson was already up on the small platform.

“Thank you today for putting everything else in your life aside and coming here to help us celebrate my son and my niece’s graduation. I am very happy to see them make a step forward into their life and see them grow up.” Uncle Tang went on with the speech for another fifteen minutes or so. “And now my wife and I have an announcement to make to you all.”

When Aunt Tang took the microphone with a smile Selina felt her heart sink.

“I’m also very happy with my husband about this. My son and Selina have made a very special and important decision regarding their future. I am happy to announce the engagement of my son, Danson, and Selina. I hope everyone can come back in a few weeks time to help us celebrate this. Please congratulate them…and Selina? Selina, where are you? If you’re down there, please come up here,” Aunt Tang called out.

Selina felt her body turn to jello. She stared up at the stage up to the uncertain face of Danson's. She knew she would disappoint him if she didn’t make a move…but Danson was already disappointed anyway. He didn’t believe her. Anyhow, Selina had already thought it through. She would try with all her effort to like him again.

“Go up there.”

“What are you waiting for?”

“Selina’s so pretty.”

“Congratulations.”

“Don’t keep him waiting.”

Selina smiled at Danson’s relatives around her. She should also help her relatives from shame.

“There you are,” Aunt Tang reached her arm out for Selina who just stepped upon the stage, “come stand by Danson.”

As Selina did so her aunt grabbed her hand and Danson’s putting them together. Selina glanced at her hand then up to Danson’s unhappy face. Everything her aunt was saying became deaf to her ears. None of her words transmited to Selina’s brain as she felt guilt rush through her. Selina gulped and turned away from Danson to face the crowd. Her eyes searched everyone’s happy face and finally felt her heart beat stop when she finally noticed Jiro’s pained face staring up at them. Selina suddenly felt her chest become painful and her breaths shorten. Within a moment Selina felt her legs become weak, all strength lost, causing her fall and her eye sight to become blurry, but Danson caught her before she hit the ground. Selina could only then make out the loud worries of those around her.

“Selina! Are you ok?!!” Aunt Tang panicked.

“Oh my god!”

“What’s happening?”

“Selina! Open your eyes. Selina!” Danson urged.

“I don’t want to be here anymore,” Selina silently thought to herself, “but I can’t let them down. I gave them this belief I’d be Danson’s future…I can’t let him down.”

Selina took a gulp of air as she closed her eyes and opened them again. Selina placed her hand on Danson’s and looked up at him with a smile. Selina slowly stood up with Danson’s help.

“I’m ok,” she quietly whispered.

After another short speech Selina got down from the stage trying not to dart her eyes around. Even before she tried, she noticed Jiro waiting for her by the corner of the house. Selina slowly walked toward him, but came to a pause.

“It didn’t feel like we’ve broken up yet,” Jiro said with his half wet eyes, “I’ll wait for you.”

Selina felt saddened when Jiro walked away from her. She turned around to find Danson walking toward her with a glass of water.

“Mom, said maybe you were dehydrated,” Danson handed her the glass of water.

“Thanks,” Selina took the cup from him and took a small sip.

Through the corner of her eyes Selina was still keeping an eye on the spot Jiro had been standing.

It was getting dark now and the guests that had stayed behind to help clean up were just leaving. Selina was finally finished with the dish washing. Fei who hadn’t been able to spot Jiro was now listening to music in her room. Selina had lost track of Danson, but decided maybe he just wanted some space. She knew she was confusing him and hurting him at the same time. Selina sat around in her room for the next few minutes debating about what to do. Finally, Selina gritted her teeth and left her room not aware that she’d left behind her cell phone.

Going to Jiro’s house didn’t seem to take as long as always. Selina knew he needed specific answers and she had to give them to him. If she didn’t want to see him suffering with misunderstandings she would have to tell him her true reasons. Selina came to an abrupt halt when she reached the front doors. The house was dimly lit. A thin red carpet lined the hallways scattered with rose petals. Selina walked in slowly and came to a stop with the carpet stopped at the end of the hallway. Looking into the living room Selina found that it was lit with candles set out to the shape of a heart. The wall behind it was filled with pictures Selina and Jiro had taken together in their short weeks together. Selina quickly turned as she heard music start to play.

“Do you think it’s romantic?” Jiro asked from behind.

Selina felt hot tears well up in her, but restrained them from coming out.

“Stop the music,” Selina said calmly.

When Jiro didn’t do it Selina repeated herself again loudly adding in an angry tone.

“You…you and Danson always had a relationship, right? I’m just the third wheeler, right?” Jiro asked now standing in front of her.

Selina remained silent.

“You kissed Danson in that shed behind the bushes. Was that when you decided to play my game?” Jiro asked.

“What are you talking about?” asked Selina suddenly losing her train of thoughts.

“You were just dating me so you could make your decision if you wanted to marry Danson or not…so now you’ve made your decision and I’m out,” Jiro finished.

Selina stared painfully at Jiro. He’d made an illusion for himself.

As Selina spoke a tear slid down her cheek, “No, Jiro listen to me.”

“I love you Selina,” Jiro interrupted.

“It’s not like that…listen Jiro,” Selina said shaking her head.

“Please, don’t marry him,” Jiro pleaded as he took a hold of both her arms.

Selina couldn’t help but come to a sob now, “I like you. I really do…”

“Then, why?” Jiro asked. “Why do we have to split up?”

“I’m not going to say we’re not fated, it’s just a thing I have to do right now,” Selina went on. “Fei is sick…”

“What does this have to do with Fei?” asked Jiro. “We don’t have anything to do with Fei or Danson. I thought you were going to move out.”

“I said listen to me,” Selina told removing his hands off of her. “My mother and Danson’s father already arranged this marriage from when we were kids. In my life, I’ve never done anything for my parents. This is the only thing left on earth for me to complete to make them happy.”

“What about your happiness?” Jiro asked. “If you’re not happy, will they be happy? Will Danson’s parents be happy when they find out that their daughter in law doesn’t even love their son? That you just married because you felt debted to them?”

Selina turned away from Jiro.

Selina turned back to Jiro wiping her tears, “No. Danson is a nice guy. There will be some good qualities I will be able to find in him that will enchant me. I will come to like him with time.”

“You’re heartless,” Jiro muttered with watery eyes. “How can you be so selfish?”

Selina continued to wipe her tears that continued, “I am…but I’m not going to let someone die because of me.”

Jiro’s face became twisted with pain and confusion.

“Fei could be lying in the ER any moment while I’m standing here hugging you,” Selina went on, “I’m not that mean. I can’t be that nice anymore. She wants you back…so I’m giving you to her.”

Tears finally dropped from down Jiro’s face, “Am I nothing in your eyes? Do I mean nothing to you? If you spoke up before, I could have helped you. I could have come up with something. Did you have to wait for the last moment to tell me this?”

Selina didn’t respond for a while, “Our relationship was never my decision to make.”

“I really hate you right now,” Jiro spat the words out, “when I first wanted this relationship, I thought we would just have laughter. Maybe you would cry every once in a while and show your feelings and I would comfort you…but you didn’t even let me have a chance at doing anything. Go on then…go marry him.”

Selina looked at Jiro feeling as if a large rainfall had fallen before her. Her eyes were so watery and her face felt so wet. Selina turned away and began to slowly walk away her face distorted in pain. Half of her hoped and wished that Jiro would come hug her crying for her to stay, but he didn’t even do anything. Selina walked out of the house trying to dry her oncoming tears. When she turned the corner she found Danson waiting for her. Selina quickly wanted to run away, but knew it would do no good. She came to a stop and waited for Danson to walk over. He stood in front of her for a minute without saying a word. Flashbacks of her only happiness flooded her mind. Laughing with Jiro moments, friendly Danson moments, her parents, and the smiling faces that surrounded her. Selina gripped onto Danson’s shirt with her fingers and put her face against him while crying loudly. It had been a long while since she had cried this hard.

The next few days was spent sitting around staring out of the windows, her mind lost in space. Danson did not know how to console her for fearing Selina might do something out of hand and make an exaggerated decision. He also did not know what to say that would be right and while a few more days passed, Danson finally decided to have a word with Selina. He found her in her room silently sitting on the ground leaning against her bed.

She invited him over to sit.

“I’m supposed to be up and about, but I’m just sitting here,” Selina said without looking at Danson, “sorry I can’t help it but feel gloomy.”

“You have been sitting here for quite a while,” Danson agreed.

Selina smiled and looked at Danson.

“I wanted to say this earlier but I didn’t know how to say it, so I’ll just come right out, ok?” Danson asked. “It’s not your fault if Fei ends up in the ER and it’s not necessary for you to make this decision. I don’t want the engagement like this Selina and I know you don’t want it too.”

“So are you rejecting me? I’m not good enough?” Selina retorted.

Danson gave her a lost expression causing Selina to laugh.

“I’ve thought about it Danson. When I say I’ll think about it, I’ll really think about it,” Selina went on, “I know the consequences. I know what I’m doing. I’ll give you a chance, so give me back my chance. Why are you suddenly opposing me now?”

“You’re making me speechless,” Danson let out an exasperated but pained laugh. “Why are you giving me things I don’t expect?”

“Did you know giving someone your love isn’t a reassurance that they’ll return it? I don’t expect you to become lovey dovey with me,” Selina said.

“Do you want to go out?” Danson asked after a period of silence. “I think you should get some air.”

Selina found herself following Danson throughout the streets. By staring at his back she could feel that he was going through a blur of emotions. When Danson stopped by a booth Selina walked over, but as she did so Danson turned and started to walk away. Selina stared at his back and quickly followed him. Selina stared at the other people around them and recognized the area. Jiro had brought her here to buy snacks to eat while doing their homework together. Without being aware Selina had come to a stop as she stared at everything around her while Danson had already walked ahead leaving her behind. Selina felt like belting down to cry, but all she did was stood there.

Feeling hungry Danson turned around to ask Selina if she was hungry, but didn’t find her anywhere. He quickly searched the large crowds surrounding him. Heading back he looked everywhere drastically wondering if anything could have happened. His heart was pounding furiously until he came to a stop. There yards away was Selina standing in the middle of a crowd. She was looking around as if she was lost and then he suddenly felt it. The sadness in her eyes as if she were remembering something important. Danson suddenly remembered he hadn’t asked for the reason to her gloominess. He had just assumed it was because of her foolish decision to marry him. He slowly walked forward.

“Who are you thinking about?” Danson suddenly questioned.

Selina turned toward him suddenly remembering he was there.

“I was just trying to get your attention. Lets go back home,” Danson suggested.

“Oh…” Selina replied.

Once they slowly headed back it began to drizzle and soon the streets were already empty as the light rain transitioned to a down pour. Selina again stared at Danson’s back. Feeling guilty for thinking of Jiro she walked faster forward and grabbed Danson’s hand. He came to a slight pause before turning around. Both of them were now soaking wet.

“Your raining season is here,” Danson quietly told.

Selina pressed her lips together.

“I want to yell at you, but I can’t.” Danson admitted. “I know you care for him, but somehow your decision is me. I know you’re trying, but still…you might regret this path you’re choosing. I know I won’t. However it’s not too late…you can turn back.”

“I know...but I’ll still choose you…” Selina said diligently.

“You keep getting my hopes up.” Danson sighed. “When you want to turn away, tell me before I go too far.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

The rose petals were already becoming crusty. Still the red carpet was still laid on the floor. The candles were already blown out, but still stood in its spot. The pictures were not yet removed from the wall. In the dark Jiro sat on the couch with his hands over his eyes. His feelings were muddled. Joanne glanced at him from the doorway and shook her head sighing. Jiro had refused to let her clean the hallway for the past few days, actually he hadn’t let her clean anything and she was wondering if she would even have a job left.

“Fei could be lying in the ER any moment,” Jiro recalled Selina’s words.

“Is she that sick? Is it so serious that it has to affect me?” Jiro wondered. “Should I use Fei to get close to Selina? Is it the only way I have left to see her now?” Jiro pressed his lips together. “I don’t care…as long as I can still see Selina. I’ll get her back somehow…”

Jiro shot up from the couch and ran down the street. In no time he was standing in front of Fei’s house. As soon as he rung the doorbell the door opened. Fei’s eyes opened in surprise as she stared at Jiro.

“Lets go back out. I won’t think twice about it,” Jiro told.

A smile lit up onto Fei’s face, “Really? Do you mean it? You really want me back?”

Jiro looked back at her trying to keep his calm, “Sure. Lets date again.”

“Do you want to come in? It’s starting to rain out there,” Fei offered.

Jiro turned around to look at the pouring rain. If he stayed for a bit, he might be able to see Selina.

“Ok,” he replied and stepped into the house.