14

Fool

Inside Jiro looked around everywhere for Selina, but couldn’t find her. Once he saw Hebe waving for him to go over he finally found Selina sitting at a table accompanied by a man wearing a white suit. Jiro bit his lip and walked over steadily.

“Where’d you go?” he asked Selina.

Selina turned around, “I met a friend.”

“Aren’t you going to introduce me?” Jiro asked.

Selina took a breath, “Calvin, this is Jiro.”

Jiro nodded toward Calvin and grabbed the empty chair next to Selina.

“Why are you angry?” Jiro questioned.

“I am not,” Selina replied not looking at him.

“You clearly are,” Jiro retorted.

“Is he the one you were talking about?” Calvin whispered to Selina.

Selina turned back to Calvin and quickly nodded. Jiro watched as Calvin placed some of his food onto Selina’s plate.

“Eat up,” Calvin smiled.

Selina returned the smile nervously and moved in to eat and as she did so the MC for the night announced the next event taking place. While the music played Calvin turned to Selina.

“You want to go dance?” questioned Calvin.

“Uh…sure,” Selina replied.

Jiro watched Calvin walk Selina up to the dance floor.

“Is…is she trying to make me angry or what?!” Jiro questioned loudly.

As he turned around he bumped into a woman with a yelp.

“Hey, watch it,” she warned.

“Sorry,” Jiro apologized and turned around coming to a stop. “Would you mind dancing with me?”

Jiro put his head up high trying to spot Selina and Calvin. To his advantage Calvin was a tall guy and easy to spot.

“Gotcha,” Jiro mumbled with a smirk.

“What exactly are you doing?” the girl whose name was Genie asked.

“Someone stole my girlfriend,” Jiro mumbled.

“Oh, I get it. So you’re trying to get her back?” asked Genie. “Did you two fight or something? Me and my boyfriend fight all the time. We just fought before coming here.”

“We’re not like you,” Jiro spat.

“Believe it or not, but all couples are like this.” 

“I see them, they’re over there,” Jiro said as he and Genie moved away from their spot.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“So who exactly is he?” asked Calvin.

“Just some jerk,” Selina replied. “So, how is it in the village? Is Mimi still late everyday for school?”

Calvin laughed, “Yea, but they all miss you a lot. They’re always talking about how Miss Perfect is gone now and everything’s out of place.”

Selina smiled, “Really?”

“Of course,” replied Calvin cheekily, “you were the only one who organized everything in class. Who else would do it? We’re all so lazy.”

“Yea,” Selina agreed. “I want to come back too.”

“Then, why don’t you come back?” Calvin questioned. “I mean you can come stay at my house or someone else’s house. You know everybody and everybody knows you, they won’t mind. We’re all really sorry about what happened to your parents.”

“Oh,” Selina managed.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that,” Calvin apologized.

“No, it’s alright. I’m getting over it now,” Selina assured.

“I heard you’re staying with some cousins?” Calvin asked. Selina nodded. “Are they nice to you? You can tell me if they’re mean, I won’t do anything except kick their butts for you.”

Selina laughed, “No, they’re really nice. You and Danson should meet sometime. I’m sure you two will become good friends.”

“Danson? A guy?” Calvin asked smirking. “Wow Selina, I guess Taipei is just the right place for you. You must be surrounded by a bunch of guys, right?”

“I don’t even want to get into that,” Selina made a face then gave a shout when someone pushed her.

Selina turned around to see Jiro.

“Jiro?” Selina asked.

“Calvin?” the girl dancing with Jiro asked.

“Genie?” Calvin's eyes grew wide.

Selina looked at them, “You know each other?”

“What are you doing? Give him his girlfriend back,” Genie demanded Calvin.

“Selina’s not his girlfriend.” Calvin retorted.

“Hey!” Jiro started. “You’re my date tonight.”

Selina laughed and tightened her hand around Calvin’s arm, “I still want to continue dancing with him.”

Jiro made a face, but couldn’t do anything as Genie pushed him away.

“Why would you dance with another girl when you have me?” asked Genie, now beside them. “I thought you’d have gotten over the fight.”

“She’s just a friend….don’t cry please,” Calvin pleaded.

Selina glanced around and finally noticed that others were staring. She let go of Calvin’s arm.

“I’ll talk to you again,” Selina promised and grabbed Jiro to move away from the dance floor.

When she released Jiro’s hand he quickly grabbed hers again.

“You moron! How could you just go off with a guy?” Jiro scolded. “You got me really worried. He could have done something to you!”

“He’s a friend from where I used to live. Is it wrong to talk with him?” asked Selina then stopped when she noticed she’d gone too far.

Selina looked at Jiro silently thinking to herself, “Was he really worrying or is he just saying it? But I guess from his expression he’s not bluffing.”

“Ok,” Selina gave up, “I’m sorry.”

Jiro sighed, “Lets go find Hebe and Aaron, then we’ll leave.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Danson closed his cell phone for the hundredth time. Selina wasn’t picking up her phone.

“What’s she doing now?” Danson asked staring out the window.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina and Jiro sat silently next to each other in the car until Jiro parked the car in front of the Tang house.

“You’d better run inside,” Jiro said.

“So, now you worry.” 

“I just have a feeling birthday boy is upset I stole his girl,” Jiro joked.

“Haha! You’re so funny,” Selina said being sarcastic herself while unbuckling her seatbelt.

Jiro watched as Selina walked toward the door, but before she could open it Danson already opened the door. Jiro turned away and drove toward his house. He headed up the stairs tired and before jumping onto his bed he threw off his suit jacket. When it landed on the bed Jiro noticed a lump inside one of the pockets. Frowning he reached for it and pulled out Selina’s cell phone.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“You scared me,” Selina exclaimed putting her hand to her chest, which was suddenly hurting.

“What took you so long? How come you haven’t answered your phone?” asked Danson worried.

“I turned it off. Sorry,” Selina apologized.

“Never mind,” Danson said then looked at her, “where’d you get that dress and those jewelry?”

“Oh…a friend…she let me borrow it,” Selina lied.

“You must be tired,” Danson empathized and hurried her inside the house.

After taking a hot shower and combing her hair Selina tossed her towel onto her bed. Selina sat down replaying the day over in her head.

“Does he mean it?” Selina questioned. “I was just playing with him though.”

Selina suddenly jumped up and started searching around her room.

“My cell phone!” Selina muttered biting her nails in frustration.

Selina got up early the next morning and hurried down the stairs with a bag.

“Where are you going?” asked Danson. “Have breakfast first.”

“Oh…I…” Selina began, but stopped as her stomach growled.

Selina and Danson ate in complete silence.

“Did you know Jiro broke up with Fei?” questioned Danson.

Selina felt her spoon slip from her hand.

“Huh? What?” Selina asked.

“That jerk. Fei has been crying for several nights now,” Danson mumbled. “I’m going to get him when I see him again.”

“Jiro?” asked Selina. “But if you think about it he’s never really liked her so isn’t it better to give up a love than pretend to love someone who you don’t love?”

Danson looked at Selina, “Are you on his side?”

Selina quickly shook her head no, “Where do you come up with those assumptions?”

Danson frowned, “Never mind then, but where are you going with that bag?”

“Oh…this?” Selina asked then laughed uncomfortably. “I need to return the dress and jewelry to my…friend.”

“Shall I go with you?” Danson questioned.

“No…no. I’ll go alone, you don’t need to come,” Selina nervously shook her head. “I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

“Is something wrong?” Danson asked with eyebrows furrowing together. “You seem nervous.”

Selina smiled and got up from the table, “I’ll really be back in a jiffy, so don’t worry.”

“Bring your cell phone with you,” Danson called after her.

Selina closed her eyes and sighed as she closed the front door.

“Why do I feel so nervous?” she questioned herself. “I want to know too.”

Selina stormed through Jiro’s opened doors and hurried up the stairs. She opened the door to his room.

“Where’s my cell phone?” Selina shouted.

When she didn’t receive a reply, she looked around the room again to discover that it was empty. She opened all the doors and frowned. When she reached the bottom floor she found Joanne humming to herself.

“Excuse me, but do you know where Jiro is?” asked Selina.

Joanne turned around shocked, “Oh Selina! You’re here! Are you visiting?”

“Uh…yes. Do you know where Jiro is?” asked Selina.

“He should be upstairs.” Joanne replied.

“But I just came from up there and I didn’t see him anywhere,” Selina explained.

“Why don’t you try again? He hasn’t left the house,” Joanne suggested.

Selina watched her and nodded, “Sure then…”

When Selina headed up the stairs again Joanne returned to her cleaning. Selina frowned to herself and opened Jiro’s bedroom door again. This time she walked inside looking around and headed toward one of the doors. From behind it she heard some noises like water running. Selina opened the door and found Jiro inside trying to put on his shirt. Jiro turned around and his eyes widened in surprise. Selina shrieked and quickly turned around but slipped on the water on the ground. When she opened her eyes Jiro was looking down at her.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

Selina quickly pulled herself up and looked at the ground, “How could you just leave water running like that?!”

“I didn’t expect any visitors,” Jiro said plainly as he walked out of the bathroom.

Selina made a face, “Well, clean it up!”

“You’re not the boss of me,” Jiro shrugged.

Selina made a face and grabbed an old shirt of Jiro’s and tossed it onto the puddle.

“That’s better,” she said then noticed the bag she was carrying.

Quickly grabbing it Selina followed Jiro.

“What is it?” asked Jiro combing his hair in front of the mirror.

“The…the stuff from yesterday,” Selina replied.

Jiro took a look at the bag, “You can keep it. I’m a guy, what would I do with a girl’s stuff?”

“But…I can’t,” Selina refused yet from inside she really wanted to keep it.

“You think it’s pretty, don’t you?” Jiro glanced at her from the corner of his eye. “It’s alright with me.”

“Are you sure?” asked Selina.

Jiro didn’t reply then said a minute later, “If you give me a kiss like you gave Danson, then it’s alright.”

Selina felt shocked as she stared at Jiro, “You…what did you say?”

Jiro turned to Selina as if it were no big deal, “If you kiss me like you kissed Danson then…”

“What is your problem?!” Selina yelled. “Are you obsessed or something? Are you following me or something? Who are you to…I don’t even know what to say.”

Selina turned around and hurried out of the room. Jiro frowned and followed her. To Selina’s surprise Joanne was no where to be found now. Jiro grabbed her and pinned her against the wall.

“That I eavesdropped?” asked Jiro.

Selina rolled her eyes.

“No,” Jiro was determined, “no, I’m not letting it go. For every kiss I give you, you have to at least return one to me. It doesn’t matter how many times…even if you don’t like me, I’ll make you like me.”

Selina tried to push herself away but found that she was only pushing herself against the wall.

“I know you like me too, Selina,” Jiro said calmly, “you still like me as much as you did in the beginning. Why are you denying it? Do you take me as a joke? I like you, I really do.”

Selina felt her heart pound faster.

“The first time when you didn’t hide your feelings and shared your troubles with me, I felt glad but disappointed because you only spoke about Danson,” Jiro admitted. “Is he the only topic you can talk to me about?”

“I…” Selina began then felt Jiro plant yet another kiss on her lips.

“I’m not going to play hard to get with you,” Jiro said.

Selina slowly pushed his arms away and walked out from behind the wall, but froze. Jiro came out after her, but froze behind her. In front of them a woman with heavy make up and a bald man set their luggage on the ground.

“Jiro?” they asked.

“Mom and dad?” Jiro's mouth dropped open.

Selina frowned and looked at the two then turned to look at Jiro.

“So we’ve heard a lot about you from Joanne,” Mrs. Wang said with a nod.

“Oh…from Joanne?” questioned Selina raising an eyebrow.

“Our Jiro’s finally a man now,” laughed Mr. Wang, “he finally got a girlfriend.”

“Eh?” Selina managed out of surprise. “I’m not…”

Jiro quickly laughed loudly and locked his arm around Selina's shoulders, “Yes. Selina’s my girlfriend.”

Selina quickly turned to Jiro and made a warning face, but Jiro turned away pretending not to see it.

“How come you didn’t call before you came?” asked Jiro.

“We finished our business early,” Mr. Wang replied. “We wouldn’t forget about our son at home.”

Selina noticed Jiro smile wholeheartedly and figured he must be really happy to see them back.

“Why don’t you bring Selina along with us?” Mrs. Wang suggested.

“To where?” Jiro asked.

“Lets go grab a bite for Jiro’s birthday,” Mr. Wang said.

Selina’s mouth opened in surprise again, but before saying anything Jiro quickly nodded his head yes. Because of that Selina found herself sitting in a non-expensive restaurant. It first occurred to her that maybe they would take her to a high first class restaurant, but it only surprised her in the end that she was thinking wrongly of them. Both Jiro’s parents seemed really fun and they especially joked with her a lot. In no time, Selina found herself getting along with them easily.

“Honey, you sure are eating a lot,” Mrs. Wang commented, “you just grabbed some snacks to eat before this, didn’t you?”

“If I don’t eat these I’m going to get fat!” Mr. Wang said pointing to the plates of food sitting in front of them.

“Oh…you…really,” Mrs. Wang mumbled. “Fat is what you call this chunk right here!” Mrs. Wang grabbed Mr. Wang’s floating stomach.

“Ow, ow…ow!” Mr. Wang screamed. “That really tickles.”

When they returned back to Jiro’s house Selina found herself sitting on the stairs by the front door picking at her nails.

“Here you go,” Jiro said handing her her cell phone. “I’m going to call you whenever I want now.”

“Who said you can?” Selina asked taking her phone back.

Jiro chuckled and sat next to her, “You’re a silly person.”

“Who said you can call me that?” Selina asked.

“Since I got your phone number now, wait for my calls,” Jiro teased with a smile.

Selina frowned and turned to him, “You shouldn’t be so lonely now when your parents are back. I can see where you get your dumb sense of humor from now.”

“So I’m a fun person to be with, right?” Jiro asked nudging her.

Selina laughed.

“Awww…honey, look our son is being so romantic, don’t you think?” asked Mrs. Wang from behind.

“The kid’s following my footsteps,” Mr. Wang commented approvingly.

Selina quickly turned around and got up.

“Oh no…it’s not what you think…” Selina tried to continue.

“I was going to walk Selina back to her house,” Jiro lied locking his arm around Selina’s shoulders.

“Then go on,” Mr. Wang urged. “What are you waiting for?”

Selina made a face and turned to Jiro.

“Aren’t you going to say goodbye to my parents?” Jiro whispered to Selina.

“Ah…yes. Good bye,” Selina said with a bow.

Mrs. Wang laughed cheerily, “I’ve always dreamed of Jiro marrying early. Why don’t you call us mom and dad? Wouldn’t that sound nice, honey?”

“Don’t push it, sweety,” Mr. Want told his wife. “Off you kids go now.”

“They’re surprisingly weird too…” Selina thought to herself.

Selina smiled nervously and nodded quickly heading down the steps.

“Don’t you think your parents are strange?” asked Selina.

“My parents? No, they’ve always been like that really,” Jiro replied. “Get used to it you’re my girlfriend now.”

“That’s junk,” Selina told walking out from Jiro’s arm.

“Hey, you shouldn’t lie to some old people like that,” Jiro said chasing after her.

“You lied, I didn’t,” Selina specified. “They sure show a lot of affection for each other, don’t they?”

“That’s how they are,” Jiro highly smiled, “I told you the house has been silent it’s because it’s always loud when they’re here. I like it loud.”

Selina frowned.

“Really…they haven’t been around for a long time,” Jiro added, “it’s only once in a while that they’re back, so I’m really happy this time.”

Selina looked at Jiro and smiled, “I can’t even tell if you’re lying.”

“Why are you always being so negative around me?” Jiro asked.

“I am not,” Selina denied.

Selina’s cell phone began ringing interrupting their conversation. Selina took her phone out from her pocket and glanced at the caller id. She pressed her lips together and Jiro looked down at her.

“Why aren’t you picking it up?” asked Jiro.

“You want me to?” asked Selina looking at Jiro.

“If you want to,” Jiro replied looking away.

Selina smiled and stuck her cell phone back into her pocket.

“You’re really not answering your call?” Jiro asked pointing at her.

Selina frowned and looked at Jiro, “You really wanted me to answer the call?”

“Well…” Jiro cocked his head from side to side and reached his hand up to scratch his head.

“You loser,” Selina said.

“If you really like me just say it,” Jiro said leaning onto Selina’s shoulder.

Selina quickly shrugged him off, “I’m not! Your parents are making me do this. Don’t jump to conclusions.”

Jiro smiled again, “Don’t lie. My parents aren’t even here right now and besides I didn’t force you to not answer your call it was your decision. You like me, don’t you?”

Selina quickly laughed loudly, “What a joke!”

Jiro frowned, “When you’re with me, what do you have to be afraid of? You don’t need to hesitate every time.”

“I’m not hesitating,” Selina refused without turning to Jiro. She knew if she looked at him once more her face would turn red. “Just…just call me or do whatever.”

Jiro watched as Selina quickly ran off and smiled, “She likes me.”