10

Fool

He quickly looked up, “How come you didn’t take my call?”

“Oh…uh…I was talking to someone,” Selina lied, “you know Xiao Xun from school?”

“Really? How come you didn’t invite her over?” questioned Danson.

“She had something to attend to,” Selina continued.

“Come on, lets go inside."

The next day Selina went out to find something for Jiro. She recalled his words that he’d never spent it with someone else besides Joanne. Thinking of that made her heart beat a lot faster.

Jiro found himself sitting and moping around the house. He stared out of the window and felt as if he couldn’t wait until Monday. He felt happy somehow knowing that there would be someone to be with. He wouldn’t be spending his birthday alone with Joanne anymore.

On that usual Monday Danson woke up and had gone to school with a throbbing headache. Everything was the usual. Selina and Jiro exchanged small glances during class, but Danson’s head was on his desk all the time. When the day had ended Fei fetched Jiro and the two left loudly. Selina watched feeling a little hurt, but tried her best not to let it get to her. She helped Danson up and led him to the car.

“I don’t think you should have come today,” Selina said to Danson.

He shook his head, “Just come back home soon alright?”

Selina nodded and watched as Fei ran toward the car. Fei made a face at her before entering the car. Selina watched as the car drove off and dug into her back pack for Jiro’s gift. She took the bag out and looked at the music note necklace. Selina was slow on making her way toward the amusement park. She stopped by the red light waiting for it to go green. She wasn’t too far from the park now only a block away she kept telling herself. When the light turned green Selina’s hand phone started to ring.

“Hello?” Selina answered the phone.

To her surprise it was Fei, “If I had a choice I wouldn’t call you, but mom and dad are busy right now. You need to come back home fast. Danson’s getting a really high fever and I don’t know what to do. You better hurry back so I can go get the doctor!”

Before Selina could say more Fei hung up.

“Now?” Selina questioned and stared at the huge ferris wheel she could see in the sky.

Selina hoped it wouldn’t take up the rest of the day as she started back toward the Tang house.

“What took you so long?!” shouted Fei as Selina took her shoes off at the door.

“Where’s Danson?” questioned Selina.

“In his room, obviously!” Fei went on with her temper rising in her voice. “You take care of him. I’m going to go get some medicine.”

Without saying anything more Selina got a wet towel and a bowl of water then hurried toward Danson’s room. She set her things beside his bed and dragged a chair so she’d be able to sit next to him. Selina dabbed his sweating forehead with the wet towel and checked his temperature. He was having a high fever. During the meantime, Selina sat there wondering how Jiro was doing apologizing over and over in her head.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro stood by the entrance checking his watch again and again. Hours had passed and Selina had not appeared at all. He couldn’t help, but think that Selina was standing him up. Why? Maybe because of Danson or to get him back for all he’s done? Jiro bit his lip and let himself fall against the bark of a tree. It was getting dark and Selina had not yet appeared.

He felt his hopes crash. He had only wanted to spend the day with someone.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina had been sitting for hours now and yet Fei had not come back. She was moving Danson’s bangs aside when he finally woke up. He looked at her with bags under his eyes.

“When did you come back?” Danson asked.

Selina smiled, “How’d you get such a bad fever?”

Danson looked around and also avoided answering her question, “What’s with the bag?”

Selina turned to see the bag with Jiro’s present inside, “It’s a gift.”

“For who?” asked Danson.

Selina became silent quickly thinking of an answer then she reached for the bag. She took out the small box and handed it to Danson.

“To thank you for caring,” Selina half lied.

She was thankful for his care, but the gift was also not for him.

Danson opened the gift box and stared at the necklace inside.

“It’s nice,” Danson complimented then looked at her. “Would you mind putting it on for me?”

“Now?” Selina sort of hesitated.

He nodded.

Selina took the necklace from his hand and got off her chair. Half leaning over him she fixed it around his neck. As she did so, Danson felt himself flush. This was one of the times he was able to be so near her. He was so close he could smell the flowery scent flying off her. He stared at her face and found himself freezing.

When Selina sat back down Danson asked, “Does it look good? Or do I make it look good?”

Selina burst out with a laugh, “Both ways, if that makes you happy.”

Danson smiled, “I’m sorry to say this, but I feel glad you came back home fast.”

Selina’s smile sort of disappeared, but she forced a small one back onto her face. Always, Danson was able to see through her disguise. Danson felt somewhat guilty, but happy on the other hand that Selina was with him instead of the other jerk.

The next morning even though Danson wasn’t feeling too well he still offered to go to school. When Selina got to class she did not see Jiro at all. He wasn’t in his seat nor anywhere around school. She couldn’t help, but feel disappointed. Even when she stood in one spot glancing around in the hallway Danson would somehow come to get her to go back to class. Selina found her concentration slipping away during lessons and kept looking up and glancing over at Jiro’s empty seat. When the day ended Selina found herself determined to find a way to visit him.

“I’ll still bring his homework to him anyway,” Selina told Danson for the sixth time, “I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

“It looks like it’s going to rain today. Hurry up, Danson,” Fei pouted as she stood next to her brother.

Danson sighed, “Alright, but call me, ok? I’ll come get you.”

Selina nodded and waved to Danson when he glanced back once more before heading into the car. When the car left Selina quickly made her way to the market to buy a quick birthday present to replace the one she’d given Danson, she then hurried for Jiro’s house. As Selina entered his house from the rain she wrung the rain out of her clothes.

“Selina, you’re here!” Joanne exclaimed. “You’re back at last. I have to tell you he looked so disappointed yesterday I almost thought he was going to cry.”

“Is he not feeling well today?” questioned Selina.

“I’m not sure myself, but he doesn’t seem to be in too good of a mood,” Joanne replied, “he’s been grumpy all morning and won’t listen to me. Since you’re a friend of his I think it’ll be better for you to speak to him. He’s upstairs as usual.”

“Thanks,” Selina replied.

“Oh, but Selina,” Joanne went on, “I’ll be out for a while. If you need anything make yourself at home.”

Selina nodded and thanked Joanne again then headed up. Finding that Jiro wasn’t in the study room she opened all the doors and found him in a large room which she took as his room. It was different from what she thought. It was actually pretty clean and organized. There Jiro was laying on his bed on his side. It looked as if he hadn’t gotten up since morning. Once the door closed Jiro looked over alarmed and Selina felt regret for having shut it.

“Are you ok?” Selina asked unsure of how to correctly greet him.

Silence followed. Jiro sat up, his hair seemingly unorganized.

“What are you here for?” questioned Jiro without looking over.

He sounded distressed.

“I…I brought your homework. I saw you weren’t at school today and Joanne said you weren’t feeling well,” Selina went on rapidly then bit her lip.

“You didn’t need to come then,” Jiro muttered refusing to look at her.

“I’m really sorry I couldn’t make it,” Selina apologized. “I just brought your gift.”

Jiro was silent for what seemed like a few more minutes then got up from his bed. He slowly made his way toward her.

“I don’t know about you, but I really meant it about yesterday,” Jiro said in a seriously angry tone, “I wasn’t joking about spending the day with you.”

Selina felt herself swallow then said, “I didn’t take it as a joke.”

“Then what, huh?!” Jiro felt himself explode. “The past 17, no 18 years of my life, I’ve spent alone! I don’t ever recall my parents staying with me ever. I just wanted someone to be there yesterday. I felt bad for what Hebe and Aaron did to you and I felt bad for you apologizing in my place, so I chose you. Why did you do that in the first place? To make yourself seem like you’re such a good person? Oh, come on!”

Selina stared back at Jiro and turned around whipping the door open and made her way downstairs. She had not gone to his house to get yelled at. All she wanted to do was something to make up for missing his birthday. Before she even reached the door Jiro pulled her back by the arm.

“Stop, and listen to me,” Jiro raised his voice. “Tell me, why did you miss yesterday? Why didn’t you come? What became so important that you couldn’t make it?”

Selina pulled her arm away and slowly turned around. She wasn’t sure if she should tell him the truth. She knew Jiro disliked Danson and if she told him she didn’t go because of Danson…she didn’t know how Jiro would react which scared her.

“I…” Selina felt her voice shake, “I really did come, but Danson fell ill. They called me back before I could come. I’m sorry.”

Jiro became silent and Selina felt his grip loosen.

“Danson? It’s always him, isn’t it?” Jiro questioned sounding somewhat disappointed, at a loss. “Are you two dating or something?”

“Huh?” Selina asked looking up at him.

Jiro rolled his eyes, “He’s always with you or you’re always with him. So tell me, what is it?”

Selina didn’t know how to respond. What answer would calm him down?

“Why don’t you go back to your parents? Why are you here in Taipei anyway?” Jiro questioned.

Selina’s eyes suddenly looked different to Jiro. He couldn’t explain, but he somehow felt he could understand the feelings coming out of her eyes.

“I feel so angry I could hate you right now,” Selina heard herself say and suddenly fiery anger erupted inside her.

All the anger she’d been locking inside was unleashing itself. It was something she had feared for a long time. This part of her she didn't know so well...

Jiro stared at her and tightened his grip on her arm again, “Becoming rough, are you? What are you, going to hit me?”

Selina felt her free hand fly up against his cheek. Jiro bit the inside of his cheek and turned back to look at Selina.

“You like me, don’t you?” Jiro asked unexpectedly.

Selina felt her tears pushing through.

“Say it. I know every time you saw me and Fei together you felt envy, didn’t you? You were hurt, weren’t you?” Jiro prodded feeling the conversation making a turn. He was gaining the side which would lead to victory.

Selina still stared at him without answering.

“You were lucky Danson was always there or you would be dying in my grip right now.” Jiro stated.

“Then it’s good you envy Danson,” Selina went on, suddenly nodding her head.

Jiro glared at her, “Say it! You like me! Stop trying to act strong.”

Selina stared at him with her angry eyes and as she felt her tears finally fall she confessed, “Fine! I do. I like you. I like you!”

As the words came out Jiro pulled her into a kiss. Throughout the surprise kiss Selina felt her eyes stay open the whole time and when Jiro pulled away Selina felt her anger burn back in. She pushed Jiro, but only managed to make him fall back a few steps.

“I don’t want to see you again after this,” Selina declared coldly.

She tossed his birthday present to the ground and ran out. Jiro stared at the gift box and stared at the open doors to find it raining out.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

As Selina made her way along the streets she felt her breath shorten quickly. Suddenly a pain in her chest started to form, it slowed her down. Selina came to a stop and quickly dropped to the ground with sobs forming through . She soon found herself crying hard and felt her breath being muffled. Selina felt as if she could no longer breathe. She tried to grasp onto the wall she had fallen against, but couldn’t grip onto anything. She was hyperventilating.

Fei's taunting words, the death of her parents, and the pace of the world which she could not keep up with burned her. Tears seeped out uncontrollably. She had never cried like this before. She had never cried before... 

“Selina!” shouted Jiro as he turned her over in his arms.

Selina could barely opened her eyes, but clutched her hand into a fist. She tried to speak, but only felt her lips tremble and very quickly she passed out.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“How is she?” Jiro questioned worriedly as Joanne came out of the guest room.

“I’ve already changed her into dry clothes but her fever isn’t coming down.” Joanne answered.

“Did you call the doctor?” Jiro asked.

“Yes, but he’s out of town,” Joanne replied. “I’ll go find some medicine.”

With that Joanne rushed away and Jiro entered the room to find a sweating Selina under the blankets. He reached his hand out to touch her cheek, but Selina suddenly turned her face away, and her cell phone started to ring. Jiro turned to see that Joanne had set her phone on the night table. Jiro took her phone and answered it.

Moments later, Danson rushed up the stairs to discover Jiro leaning against the solid wall.

“What happened?” questioned Danson panicked.

“I didn’t mean it,” Jiro desperately tried, “I don’t understand what happened either.”

Danson glared at Jiro, “If anything serious happened to her, you’ll be dead sorry.”

“Anyway, why is she in Taipei? She doesn’t even look happy here so why don’t you send her back to her parents?” questioned Jiro.

Danson pushed Jiro against the wall pinning him, “What did you say?”

“Her parents. Why don’t you send her back?” Jiro repeated suddenly feeling very uncertain about the words coming from his mouth. 

Why? Was he saying something wrong?

“You said that to her?” questioned Danson with a thick frown.

Jiro didn’t answer and then he felt as if Danson was pushing his fists inside of him.

“Her parents are dead. She has no one and no home to return to,” Danson whispered to Jiro angrily. “Why did you say that to her? She hasn’t cried since her parents died!”

Jiro didn’t reply this time.

“Look, Selina can look like she’s an all free girl on the outside. She can look like she can handle anything, but I’m telling you that’s now how it is. She’s a fragile person that can break easily, that’s why I didn’t want her with you. I knew you’d do stupid stuff.”

Jiro felt his heart jump and remembered Selina saying she hated him. He also felt guilty when he recalled Selina crying. Danson let him go and went inside the room leaving Jiro to stand in his spot. Jiro remembered, then, when he had first met Selina in Taipei she hadn’t answered his question about her parents. Now he felt very bad about all the things he’d done to her. He felt guilty for trying to make her feel so much pain that she’d drop in front of him because truth was, she’d already felt so much pain. He turned peek through the crack of the door to see Selina sit up in bed in front of Danson, her head hung low. Selina’s tears began to fall one by one as she began to shake.

“I want to go back,” Selina cried as she threw herself against him, “I miss my mom and dad! No one respects me here. I don’t know anything here! Every time I find someone always dislikes me one way or another. It hurts so much, Danson. Help me. Please. I miss my parents so much!”

Jiro watched as she shook in Danson’s reassuring arms. Selina’s sobs suddenly turned into loud crying. Jiro shut his eyes unable to watch anymore.

Danson later walked out after Selina had fallen back into a slumber.

“I’m going to take her back with me,” Danson told Jiro, but he held Danson back.

“You can’t do that,” Jiro stated.

“I’m not going to let her stay in your house,” Danson refused.

Jiro bit his lip, “It’s raining out. You can’t take her outside when she’s in this condition. I promise I’ll take good care of her. Look, you can call every five minutes or call however much you like. I promise she’ll be better and come back tomorrow.”

Danson stared at Jiro and looked away then returned his gaze back to Jiro, “Every 30 minutes I’ll call.”

After a last conversation Danson finally left. Jiro stood outside the room for a few minutes. Feeling curious he opened the door and walked in. He found a chair and pulled it next to the bed. Taking a seat he stared down at Selina. She looked so peaceful and quiet now that Danson had comforted her.

It was sometime after midnight when Selina awoke. She glanced around the darkened room easily remembering what had happened after she had suddenly out. Selina made her way over to the large window and glanced out. It was a full moon out. Selina turned around and looked at the bed to see a figure. As Selina neared the bed she saw Jiro’s head resting on the bed. Selina pulled the blanket out from underneath him on purpose and watched him wake up. Jiro scratched his head and looked around confused. Once he spotted Selina he sat up straight.

“You’re up,” Jiro told.

Selina stared down at him.

Jiro was silent them grabbed the charm necklace Selina had bought him, “Does it look good on me?”

“It looks worse when you’re wearing it,” Selina shot back.

Jiro frowned as Selina made her way to the door.

“Where are you going?” questioned Jiro quickly following her.

Selina ignored him as she half ran down the stairs.

“Hey! Hey!” Jiro shouted then came to a stop a few feet behind her.

Selina stopped and turned around to look at Jiro, “Didn’t I say I didn’t want to see you again?”

Jiro stared at her, “You never told me. You could have just easily answered and I would have understood, but you never said anything so I didn’t know.”

“Tell you what?” asked Selina.

“About your parents,” Jiro went on.

Selina turned her face away angrily as she felt easy tears slip from her eyes. She wiped them away angrily.

“Don’t talk about them,” Selina replied.

“You’re still acting tough,” Jiro told. “You’re a girl not a guy. If you want to cry go ahead and cry. No one will criticize you. If anyone does criticize you I’ll cut their necks open. I swear.”

By then Selina felt her tears rushing out. She felt Jiro step toward her and try to pull her into a hug, but she fought back trying to push him away. In the end she found herself crying loudly against him.

“I’m sorry and thank you,” Jiro whipered leaning against her.

Selina had returned to the Tang house the next day. They had nourished her back to health and even let her stay home from school. Danson had come back with her homework and helped her finish them. She found herself spending the rest of the day with him, but found that her mind kept drifting off to Jiro. She found herself thinking of how lonely he would be by now.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Hebe had come over again. She was sitting with him in the study room watching him do his homework.

“You’re surprisingly concentrated,” Hebe commented as she picked at her nails.

“Where’s Aaron?” questioned Jiro.

“Hmm? Oh, he’s visiting with some friends,” Hebe replied. “Where’s your tutor?”

Jiro didn’t respond.

“Joanne says you’re really active when she’s around. How come you’re so down and quiet today?” asked Hebe. “You look kind of sad.”

“I’m trying to concentrate,” Jiro replied without looking up from his worksheet.

Hebe watched him, “I think you like her.”

“What?” Jiro asked as he slammed down his pencil and looked up at Hebe at last.

Hebe smiled, “Why would you choose her to be your tutor? I know you probably just wanted to have some fun, but why?”

Jiro didn’t answer.

“Aaron told me,” Hebe went on.

“He told you what?” asked Jiro letting Hebe take his attention.

“Selina told him she likes you,” Hebe said with a mysterious smile. “I’m sure you like her too.”

“What?” Jiro asked. “Oh please. I never even thought of that.”

“That’s why,” Hebe said. “You never thought of it…something must have happened right? That’s why you look so disappointed.”